test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This games community is very silent in dungeons, very weird.

myakimyaki Member Posts: 38
edited May 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
What causes this games community to be so silent? I do dungeons, no one talks, I talk directly to someone, they completely ignore me. I've done 10+ dungeons, and no one has talked, even when directly spoken to, they just run around and continue to play like robots. In my 10 years of playing MMO's I've never seen something like this before. What is the cause of this? It's so strange, I've seriously never seen something like this before. They also speak english, because I can see their guilds being english, so it's not a language barrier.

Playing with robots isn't very fun, and I just want to maybe make some friends or just make the dungeons more fun with talking, or even have teamwork and tell them strats, or have them tell me what bosses do for dungeons I've never done before.

Has anyone else experienced this weird mute + robotlike behavior so far?
Post edited by myaki on

Comments

• enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^ Yep. Not sure if its because Voice Chat is down or was. I tried saying Hey, tried Vendui.. Nothing. Its hard to build a friendslist or get a the full enjoyable experience. Ive actually had good feedback in PvP, people are much more chatty there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • myakimyaki Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    I'm not actually using my voice though, I'm just typing. People are usually more open to typing than using their voice, and they will have a keyboard, not sure if they'll have a microphone
  • fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wait, just go to the later dungeons. You will find lot of chatty people there.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone is too busy running to the next mob...
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll usually talk if someone talks to me, but normally I'm concentrating on healing, as I'm a cleric. But I assume most people may either not speak your language, or just want to concentrate on the dungeon and get it over with. Dungeons suck in the game atm for the most part, and are more tedious than they should be. People just want to rush them and be done with it.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I usually don't play with a mic for various reasons, but will type when i can. If i'm running somewhere or fighting though, i tend to not say much.

Also, you may not be playing with many English speakers, basically one world server, and depending on your hours, that could be part of it. I know in DDO i played a lot when the other side of the world was playing more, and it made things interesting, to say the least. ;) I have to admit, FFXI, for all it's annoyances to me, had a great translation aspect. Not perfect, but when you are playing with mostly Japanese, you can at least say something.

That, or people are just shy. If no one says anything, i tend to also be silent.
  • breeding77breeding77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've noticed this too. Only time people talk is when stuff goes sideways. Like going into a lvl 40ish instance with no healer and blaming the devs that they can't beat the final boss.
  • dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    Game mechanics. When your typing you cant do any other actions like other mmos
    Not fluid to type and play...
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm usually trying to DPS adds off the poor Clerics, so, too busy to talk much.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • huttjhuttj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me, I find trying to type while left hand WASD and right hand mouse very awkward. Especially in combat with dodging, and qer, even though I put tab and my dailies on my mouse. Just the shift in position from moving to typing positions is odd, so I don't do so unless I have something pertinent.

As to voice chat? Hearing random singing, profanity, and misogyny in my ear is not what I consider fun. If I know the guy, it's different, because if I know them and am playing with them, their idea of what's appropriate/funny is probably vaguely aligned with mine.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have seen this myself. I can't complain though because it means less crying over stupid s***.
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    myaki wrote: »
    What causes this games community to be so silent? I do dungeons, no one talks.
    I hate to admit it, but for a long time, I didnt even know how to talk to others. When my hero was just starting, tried to interact with someone, and it said I couldnt, if I remember correctly. Now it says I can. But even now, I find it extremely difficult to talk to other players, especially when they are offscreen.

Whats the command line? Something like: \tell soandso@soandso, ...

I dunno. But communication itself seems extremely unfriendly, at least inconvenient, at least unclear.

The user-interface needs to make communicating easier.

Also, in order to use the chat, I need to exit the game to use the pointer. And in a dungeon that is a dangerous thing to do.
  • rikudou87rikudou87 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As mentioned already, its not convenient to stand still to type in a dungeon or anywhere really for that matter. Especially since you need to avoid a lot of machanics.
    RIKUDOU GAMING
    GAMING GENERATION
  • ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Guildies + voice chat.
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cloak Tower is all rush, rush, rush to the finish line.

I blame the game developers.
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not that quiet. as soon as we dropped into the dungeon there were two comments.

"lets get this over with"
    and
    "Hey Wizard, you really NEED that Greatsword?"
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What causes this games community to be so silent? I do dungeons, no one talks, I talk directly to someone, they completely ignore me. I've done 10+ dungeons, and no one has talked, even when directly spoken to, they just run around and continue to play like robots. In my 10 years of playing MMO's I've never seen something like this before. What is the cause of this? It's so strange, I've seriously never seen something like this before. They also speak english, because I can see their guilds being english, so it's not a language barrier.

Playing with robots isn't very fun, and I just want to maybe make some friends or just make the dungeons more fun with talking, or even have teamwork and tell them strats, or have them tell me what bosses do for dungeons I've never done before.

Has anyone else experienced this weird mute + robotlike behavior so far?

I don't see the point in spamming, but if you engage me i'll be more than happy to shoot the breeze with you even in a dungeon, sadly the dungeons are a bit long and really only give you gear as the EXP comparatively is bleh despite the great fun you can derive from them.

What I mostly notice, is that a lot of players are slacking, underperforming and generally being awful and their silence is in some way them trying to not draw attention to themselves, when really all they do, is give even more of a reason for folks to consider them a bad asset. That being said, had a few quiet, but nice groups that have dealt with problem players quickly and maturely with little to no drama. I have to say, I really am starting to love this community in itself, even though I have my issues with PWE etc.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The chat system is a bit "cumbersome" in this game, compared to normal MMOs. Since this one is so action-orientated, typing while fighting is not as easy as in a your avarage tab-targeting mmo
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I type slow and have difficulty with this games chat box for some reason too. groups rush so much in this game that I'm afraid to try to type or I may miss something and people die and get mad so I usually say nothing until after the last boss. I hate the rushing everywhere, what's the giant hurry?
  • lordtureilimlordtureilim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    I'm only really chatty in town, or out and about doing quests. In dungeons, people run ahead, clearing the place out, and leave the typist behind.

SO I just don't bother in them to be social 'til after, if anyone's caught my interest.

I'm already on vent anyway with people I'd rather be discussing things with anyway.
    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time. "
    What better happen when Paladins are introduced someday...A glorious union it shall be.
    edited May 2013
    I don't want people to be chatty though, when I ask "Hey what does this boss do?" or directly tell people what a boss does, and ask them if they understand(because it's actually a difficult boss like one of the dragons), they don't say a word. Usually they even completely ignore the strategy I gave them for defeating the boss, making us wipe or take even more time to kill the boss.
    edited May 2013
    I just thought of this, could be a controller thing. I play with a PS3 controller so its sorta out of the way to use the keyboard, could be reason for some people being quiet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    I don't want people to be chatty though, when I ask "Hey what does this boss do?" or directly tell people what a boss does, and ask them if they understand(because it's actually a difficult boss like one of the dragons), they don't say a word. Usually they even completely ignore the strategy I gave them for defeating the boss, making us wipe or take even more time to kill the boss.

^ Or when you tell the party, "Hey this boss puts a ground AoE at this feet every 15sec and it one shots you." and then 2 people died at the start of the enounter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sometimes I don't mind the silence when zone chat in town goes 80 MPH and mostly consists of:
    wheres the bank?
    wheres the mailbox?
    where do I buy ID scrolls?
    and how do I stealth? :P

At least the amount of times those questions are asked shows theres a lot of people playing :D
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I turned off voice as soon as I loaded the game on. I'll use a vent/mumble server instead. That way when I'm in a pug and start cursing that the healer is bad, or the tank is bad, or the DPS is bad, or I'm bad, only people that I'm friends with will hear me and respond.

As for text chat... the dungeons are all so straightforward*. Follow path to boss, don't stand in red stuff and hit boss and adds, repeat. Not that I expected much more this early, but I don't need to explain strategy, or listen to strategy. It's "Get 'em!".

I'm only 32 and the only thing I say, or have seen others say, is relating to the superfluous boss in the Cloaktower. The default-on little glowy line of breadcrumbs doesn't lead to him. Why would anyone fight him? That said, I like deviating from the railroad from time to time.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    I'm only 32 and the only thing I say, or have seen others say, is relating to the superfluous boss in the Cloaktower. The default-on little glowy line of breadcrumbs doesn't lead to him. Why would anyone fight him? That said, I like deviating from the railroad from time to time.

To get the item to unlock the chest at the end.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    To get the item to unlock the chest at the end.

Ah. Meh. Not really worth it then. Still, a fight's a fight.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    Ah. Meh. Not really worth it then. Still, a fight's a fight.

Well, there's always the seal and item he drops
    edited May 2013
    That boss is also bugged and if you clear the final boss, then go back to that boss and kill him after he doesn't attack you at all, but summons add and stuff. Really weird bug, might not be how to make the bug work but that's what happened the one time we killed him after the final boss.
  • sinistrad1sinistrad1 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    solresol wrote: »
    Not that quiet. as soon as we dropped into the dungeon there were two comments.

"lets get this over with"
    and
    "Hey Wizard, you really NEED that Greatsword?"
    hahah xD, good one:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]