test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

one thing that truly makes pvp p2w

seteleecheteseteleechete Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Players are given the option to add additional stats/effects to their equipment in Neverwinter. These come in the forms of Runestones (pets) and Enchantments (Armor/Weapon). For pets, the Runestones are split into Offense and Defense. For Enchantments, they are split into Offense, Utility, and Defense. A single Runestone/Enchantment provides different bonuses depending on which slot there are equipped to. These also have ranks and start from 1 and ends at 9. Four of the same kind may also fuse to move up a tier. The chance of success starts at 95% at rank 1 and 10% at rank 8. You will lose a single Runestone/Enchantment upon failure.
There are two ways to circumvent failure: Preservation Ward and Coalescent Ward. Preservation Wards cost 10 cents each and prevent the loss of materials upon failure. They are also only consumed upon failure. Coalescent Wards cost 10 dollars and guarantees success of fusion. Both these wards may also be obtained on a weekly basis through Celestial Coins (the latter being rarer). Now you may be wondering why there's a huge discrepancy between the two Wards. I was wondering for a while too until I stepped my foot into endgame and found out there was an entirely different type of Enchantments: The Armor/Weapon Enchantments.
Armor/Weapon Enchantments are for specific slots in your weapon/chest and grant special effects. They come in shards and have a chance to drop from Epic Dungeon bosses. You must combine 4 shards to create a Lesser version of the Enchantment. However, the success chance of fusion is at a staggeringly low 1%. To compensate, they have very strong effects. An example would be the Thunderhead Enchantment. However, the real kicker here is that these "Lesser" versions may be fused again to gain a stronger version. Those may also be fused again to create the strongest version. Ultimately, the Greater Thunderhead Enchantment will have a 30% on crit to damage and stun foes. To create the strongest Enchantment possible, it will cost 160 dollars and 64 shards. Unlike companions, these can be used in PvP.

Note: I did not write this text and would give credit if I didn't think it was agianst the rule about advertising.
Also considering the amount of time to farm 160 dollars worth of zen/wards via celestial coins we are talking a long long time far to long for it to not be considered p2w. I don't suggested to remove any of these enchantments just restrict in some way while pvping. I like pvp in this game and would rather this not be a dealbreaker /=
Post edited by seteleechete on

Comments

• Options
    jestal1jestal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    As a founder having paid 60.00 dollars, if this is the case and is not changed or responded to by a mod in 1 week, I will have my money returned via credit card. This is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    choicestchoicest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, that is indeed broke-tacular. I have seen the colored slots on gear too so I know what enchant slot you are talking about. Well I will be 60 this weekend and will try to confirm. Yea, this definitively sounds like a deal breaker for me. If I am looking at a 3 month grind to be as competitive as others in PvP I am done. Not so bitter as to want my $60 back, I knew I might not like end game and quit. But yea, months of grinding to be competitive in PvP.....I would still be playing TERA if that's what I was into.
  • Options
    the1flawlessthe1flawless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That was not good news.... :(
  • Options
    lucienkorthuslucienkorthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this is true, this is the worst game ever made.

The worst part is, they probably wont change it because there are a bunch of tools out there who will spend this money, and then run around acting like they are awesome and better than everyone else.

And with the current state of rogues, most people will do this with a rogue, and just stun/daze/crit you to death, which if the stats on those enchants are what you say they are, it will take about two hits, maybe three.

It was one thing in WoW where it was just time spent on your main to twink out a low level and go around one shot backstabbing people. Its poor design, but at least people had to earn it in the game, and technically everyone had the option/ability to do it.

if it really costs 160 per character to simply min max at high level (necessary to pvp) then the game will end.

Because this is what will happen. The devs will think this will make them money. But it wont. Because when some players have this edge and others dont, the ones who dont will get fed up and leave. Then the queu times will seriously slow down, and all the people who play mainly to pvp will also leave. So they will essentially lose their entire pvp player base rather swiftly and even in a pve oriented game, that is a lot of people.

Look at TOR, the sith/rep discrepancies it had at the start as well as all the illum garbage. And i think EA publicly announced they considered the game their biggest failure.

That was a PvE oriented game, and large mistakes in pvp caused the game to collapse.
  • Options
    xowaynexowayne Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, i have to agree with this. The chances of fusing powerful gear upgrades are extremely low at higher ranks for someone not to purchase one of these wards. Also, $10 is way to expensive for a guaranteed fuse, especially if you have too spend that amount multiple times just to have the perfect gear. Is this game P2W? In my opinion yes, according to the risk you take when fusing powerful gear upgrades without using the cash shop. Sadly, i logged-in just to reply to this and i practically never post on the forums.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same thing is true for tenebrous enchants. You can have 6 of them and they proc off of all damage including dots. So run plaguefire and other dots and watch people melt in a few seconds. I've seen a rogue kill someone from full to dead with just his throwing knives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wow i had seen some of these runes but didnt know others were THIS bad. You could wear a few of those and stun/damage on just about every crit. They either need to seriously nerf the stones, limit how many of what type can be worn, and/or seriously adjust the fusion chance. You'd spend 10$ on 100 wards to try and successfully 1% fuse anyways, same price as the coalescent ward. Thats some of the worst and deepest p2w i've ever heard of.

Also that means they lied about their market plans for Zen, pretty sure when asked, they gave he typical 'convenience and cosmetics' response. Maybe 160$ is just the convenience to save you months of farming.
  • Options
    articulatefoolarticulatefool Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow i had seen some of these runes but didnt know others were THIS bad. You could wear a few of those and stun/damage on just about every crit. They either need to seriously nerf the stones, limit how many of what type can be worn, and/or seriously adjust the fusion chance. You'd spend 10$ on 100 wards to try and successfully 1% fuse anyways, same price as the coalescent ward. Thats some of the worst and deepest p2w i've ever heard of.

Also that means they lied about their market plans for Zen, pretty sure when asked, they gave he typical 'convenience and cosmetics' response. Maybe 160$ is just the convenience to save you months of farming.

They are limited in the QTY you can equip. They do not go in any slot. It has to be specifically a weapon enchantment or armor enchantment slot.
  • Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I mean they can stack one kind of armor enchant on multiple armors. But people are right saying this is a rogue thing, since they wield two 'weapons' they'll get two of these super stones.
  • Options
    raylin2raylin2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait... so what's wrong with this? .... I don't get... You can get all this stuff from playing the game. If you think you can't... Maybe you should play some more? Cause this post made me laugh so hard, at all the people crying because they have no clue how to play this game at alll..... at ALL....
  • Options
    strandthemanstrandtheman Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's a thought...make more than one character and keep them both earning Celestial coins. That way every 7 days you have 2 opportunities to get wards from the reward chest.

This isn't really an issue for me as I am sure there are very few players who are that desperate to spend money on something they should easily have...even if they do have lots of disposable income.

Also, so they get a slight boost in PvP before me...well guess what, at least they helped fund the developers who can now keep working on the game that I mostly play for free (I bought a companion so I'm helping a little). Why do you think no one complains about Founders having Spider mounts, Drows, and a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-ton AD...it's because they paid to have it by footing the bill so everyone could play for free!

Remember, games are not created by companies out of the kindness in their hearts so everyone who wants to play them could enjoy their work. They're made to turn a profit. Therefore, a free game has to sell cosmetic and convenience micro-transactions.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I guess chainsaws arnt P2W at cutting trees down, when your hatchet can still technically, EVENTUALLY, chop down a great cedar tree. Wow when you look at it that way, theirs no such thing as p2w in any game \o/
  • Options
    v1510n5v1510n5 Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    raylin2 wrote: »
    Wait... so what's wrong with this? .... I don't get... You can get all this stuff from playing the game. If you think you can't... Maybe you should play some more? Cause this post made me laugh so hard, at all the people crying because they have no clue how to play this game at alll..... at ALL....

Is this bait?

This game is P2W. The mere fact that you can spend money to gain an advantage over other players is P2W. But this... It essentially means that if you want the best enchants and runestones you HAVE to pay unless you want to farm for months.

How can people defend **** like this?

It makes me sad because I really enjoy this game but I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars just to be able to compete with other players. I really hope that PW will reconsider their payment model. You would think that they would have learned their lesson with their previous games...
  • Options
    saborwsaborw Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Technically, since you can do it without paying, it isn't pay 2 win, just convenience. Pay 2 Win to me means being able to spend money on better gear that you can't get except by spending money on that gear

They should just be disabled in PvP, and so should mounts. It's an Arena, not a PvP Zone
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Because hes pointing out that as long as its POSSIBLE, (you can farm the millions of astral diamonds necessary and 'maybe' get a coalescent stone each week) then its not P2W, as in, theirs no line beyond that for some people.

Ignoring the fact that some of stones themselves are overpowered in concept.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    saborw wrote: »
    Technically, since you can do it without paying, it isn't pay 2 win, just convenience. Pay 2 Win to me means being able to spend money on better gear that you can't get except by spending money on that gear

They should just be disabled in PvP, and so should mounts. It's an Arena, not a PvP Zone

No. P2W means that you can spend money to gain an advantage over other players in combat.

Cash shops should only sell cosmetic items and changes. Many games manage to do this and make a profit.

Imagine WoW if players could just buy gladiator gear or the best raiding gear. It would be a complete joke and nobody would play anymore. Say what you want about WoW and their subscription based model but at least everyone is on equal footing. Everyone has to EARN their gear and ranks. So when you see a dude in full glad you know he's a skilled player. Here any scrub can just buy the best gear. What's the point?

With Neverwinter you either have to spend hundreds of dollars OR spend hundreds of hours grinding. Neither of those two options appeal to most players.

I really fear for the longevity of this game if PW continues down this path of greed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Err... You really need to play more, you're obviously not level 60, nor are you lvl 20 crafting. Purple items sell for butt tons of astrals... so... Have fun crying because you know nothing ... we don't need people like you here crying and ruining a great game when it's working as intended, and certainly not a cash game. The only thing I bought from the zen shop with REAL MONEY (not exchanging astrals for zen) is a mount.
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    saborw wrote: »

wat?

Pay2win means you pay money to get an in-game advantage. It's still pay2win whether or not htose items can also be got without paying.

On topic, this is a serious problem and wrecks the PVP completely. At the very least they need to disable enchantments in PVP.
  • Options
    visasmokevisasmoke Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how many of the ppl that replied to that post are actually lvl 60 and with a clue on how the game works.

Lets take an example:
    I mean they can stack one kind of armor enchant on multiple armors. But people are right saying this is a rogue thing, since they wield two 'weapons' they'll get two of these super stones.

Only the Main hand can have the epic slot. Off hand doesn't have epic enchant slot.
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't really matter whether you can stack them or not. The 30% stun on crit is ridiculously OP. And not only is it OP, it's the worst kind of OP - random RNG OP. WOW learned this lesson years ago with warrior RNG stuns. RNG stun is antithetical to competitive PVP.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Err... You really need to play more, you're obviously not level 60, nor are you lvl 20 crafting. Purple items sell for butt tons of astrals... so... Have fun crying because you know nothing ... we don't need people like you here crying and ruining a great game when it's working as intended, and certainly not a cash game. The only thing I bought from the zen shop with REAL MONEY (not exchanging astrals for zen) is a mount.

Let me guess... You're a teenager who lives with his parents. You don't have a job so you can afford to play 24/7 and you have daddy's credit card at hand when you need to use the cash shop.

Mark my words, if PW continues down this path, the game will be dead within a few months. Then you can have fun playing by yourself.

It's really a shame because I think they've really got something special here. But all of PW's other games ended up the same way because of their underhanded P2W tactics.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Here's a thought...make more than one character and keep them both earning Celestial coins. That way every 7 days you have 2 opportunities to get wards from the reward chest.

This isn't really an issue for me as I am sure there are very few players who are that desperate to spend money on something they should easily have...even if they do have lots of disposable income.

Also, so they get a slight boost in PvP before me...well guess what, at least they helped fund the developers who can now keep working on the game that I mostly play for free (I bought a companion so I'm helping a little). Why do you think no one complains about Founders having Spider mounts, Drows, and a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-ton AD...it's because they paid to have it by footing the bill so everyone could play for free!

Remember, games are not created by companies out of the kindness in their hearts so everyone who wants to play them could enjoy their work. They're made to turn a profit. Therefore, a free game has to sell cosmetic and convenience micro-transactions.

Heres a thought, buy up to the max character slots of 50 so you have 50 chances to do it! Plus professions on 50 characters! Also not at all p2w.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    visasmoke wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the ppl that replied to that post are actually lvl 60 and with a clue on how the game works.

Lets take an example:

Only the Main hand can have the epic slot. Off hand doesn't have epic enchant slot.

You're example sucks. I'm not a rogue, even non 60 rogues would know this though, im 55 btw, its not like i couldnt of Foundry'd to 60 but i prefer playing the game. Nice try at derailing, but since some people are 60 and disagree with you, i guess your entire point is flawed, no surprise seeing as your brain has to be flawed before you could not consider this p2w.

These things take 160$ worth of coalescents to make one of, the economy is going to eventually reflect this price. OR they'll eventually be so common everyone will have them, and pvp will be sooo fun then right?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    v1510n5 wrote: »
    Let me guess... You're a teenager who lives with his parents. You don't have a job so you can afford to play 24/7 and you have daddy's credit card at hand when you need to use the cash shop.

Mark my words, if PW continues down this path, the game will be dead within a few months. Then you can have fun playing by yourself.

It's really a shame because I think they've really got something special here. But all of PW's other games ended up the same way because of their underhanded P2W tactics.

Way off dude. 24, have my own place. I work three 13.3 hr shifts a week. Nice try. The fact is... well... cry less, learn more.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You're example sucks. I'm not a rogue, even non 60 rogues would know this though, im 55 btw, its not like i couldnt of Foundry'd to 60 but i prefer playing the game. Nice try at derailing, but since some people are 60 and disagree with you, i guess your entire point is flawed, no surprise seeing as your brain has to be flawed before you could not consider this p2w.

These things take 160$ worth of coalescents to make one of, the economy is going to eventually reflect this price. OR they'll eventually be so common everyone will have them, and pvp will be sooo fun then right?

His example is spot on, ONLY THE MAIN HAND WEAPON can get a EPIC SLOT... meaning on every class (they all have offhands) can only have one EPIC SLOT that's for the weapons. Maybe your brain is flawed... since you can't understand Basic English.
  • Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The $160 thing sucks. I agree. But people keep saying about main hand and off hand for rogues. I am a rogue and I am 60 and I can put my daggers in either hand. Unless the epics are restricted to hand. I have seen no rogue weapons so far that are.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

it takes 16 wards to create the greater enchant.

that's 16x7 days to farm them yourself IF you get the coalescent wards everytime. you are more likely to get the green ones which are just about useless on a 1% chance. if you get one every week without fail that's 112 weeks or nearly two years to create just one of these. you don't think that within 112 weeks cryptic will hve released a new item more powerful to replace it that also takes as much or more money? because they do the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in STO which until neverwinter was their flagship game.

btw the astral diamond value based solely on the cost of the wards to create one of these greater enchants based on todays 400 ad per zen conversion is 72,000,000 diamonds.

or you can pay 200 bucks to the zen shop, buy the shards you need from the ah and the wards from the zen store and have one in a few minutes.

that is the very definition of pay to win.
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously OP why not mention that the armor enchantments have a 60sec cd. Not to mention that the stats on the enchantments are very minor like Briartwine goes von 2% to 2.6% reflection, or in other words one magic missile would do more dmg. :p

I have posted this in the epic armor thread:

nw_enchant_dpsmbuid.jpg

Think you really that would break the game. ROFLBTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Seriously OP why not mention that the armor enchantments have a 60sec cd. Not to mention that the stats on the enchantments are very minor like Briartwine goes von 2% to 2.6% reflection, or in other words one magic missile would do more dmg. :p

I have posted this in the epic armor thread:

nw_enchant_dpsmbuid.jpg

Think you really that would break the game. ROFLBTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the tenebrous enchant - which i believe can be added to every gear slot not just weapon or armor - has no cooldown.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    His example is spot on, ONLY THE MAIN HAND WEAPON can get a EPIC SLOT... meaning on every class (they all have offhands) can only have one EPIC SLOT that's for the weapons. Maybe your brain is flawed... since you can't understand Basic English.

His 'example' is 'some people arnt high enough level in this BRAND NEW GAME to understand it enough' by pointing out i dont know what a different classes off-hand weapon slots are. My statement about rogues equipping two had nothing to do with the P2W, just possible balance issues and in no way pertains to the subject at hand. If you still dont understand then maybe you just havnt posted enough topics on the forum.

Hell, theirs a level 60 rogue who didnt even know what that guy is claiming, makes it even funnier.