test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Foundry = No Desire 2 Play?

Comments

• gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps people should not become so emotionally invested in a Video Game to begin with, on both ends of the spectrum, and eliminate the need or desire to cry. "Just Sayin"

I enjoy the game, but I'm just not that emotionally invested that I need to rage against changes that may or may not be permanent, and that for the most part only affects the Min/Maxers and bean counters.

Hey I like telling how it is and I have a very blunt manner of speaking. Don't cop out with the "you mad?" stuff, that's just weak.

You also don't seem to understand that every foundry mission has been nerfed due to a couple specific problems. That to me makes no sense.
    The only embarrassing thing here is...

Your attempt at backpedaling.
  • goblinvomitgoblinvomit Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm new to the game, and I think I started after the Foundry nerf. To me, it seemed fine, but then I didn't play it as it was before. This whole issue is really disheartening. It really troubles me that everyone is angry that they can't take advantage of an exploit, and many people are literally saying they would rather get free XP than play a story that someone really tried to make fun. I feel like this mentality is what would kill the game, more than a nerf. It's the same mentality that's turning The Elder Scrolls franchise into a shallow hack and slash, and turned D&D into video games on paper. People are going to stop making quests, not because of a nerf, but because nobody seems to want them.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm new to the game, and I think I started after the Foundry nerf. To me, it seemed fine, but then I didn't play it as it was before. This whole issue is really disheartening. It really troubles me that everyone is angry that they can't take advantage of an exploit, and many people are literally saying they would rather get free XP than play a story that someone really tried to make fun. I feel like this mentality is what would kill the game, more than a nerf. It's the same mentality that's turning The Elder Scrolls franchise into a shallow hack and slash, and turned D&D into video games on paper. People are going to stop making quests, not because of a nerf, but because nobody seems to want them.

Very well said. It's very discouraging as a Dungeon Master to see everyone only wants free XP or a hack&slash grind-fest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    many people are literally saying they would rather get free XP than play a story that someone really tried to make fun.

No there were problems that needed to be fixed (ogre exp and exploits mainly), it's just that normal foundry missions are now gimped as well which is a huge shame. If all you care about is novelty than you won't care, but it was cool making progress WHILE playing the cool custom content. That progress has been slowed significantly.

I hope there is never another exploit map again. I hated them because I knew thin skinned individuals would overreact and cause cryptic to ruin the foundry. Which is exactly what happened.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    No there were problems that needed to be fixed (ogre exp and exploits mainly), it's just that normal foundry missions are now gimped as well which is a huge shame. If all you care about it novelty than you won't care, but it was cool making progress WHILE playing the cool custom content. That progress has been slowed significantly.

I hope there is never another exploit map again. I hated them because I knew thin skinned individuals, some are here in this thread, would overreact and ruin the foundry. Which is exactly what happened.

You can't write without insulting people can you? They weren't thinned skinned, they just didn't like cheaters nor did they like the missions they spent dozens of hours own shuffled to the bottom because of "Free XP here lollerz"

Also the normal foundry missions are not gimmped I have played several since the nerf and the XP is down slightly, I'm still getting pots enchants scrolls and gear at the same rate and type as I was before.

But I guess if facts don't work you can always make <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up.
    Your attempt at backpedaling.

Tell me what colour is the sky on your planet?
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • tadachetadache Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Did you have any desire to play the game yesterday after the patch?
    Yes, I enjoy the game play for the most part.

2. Did you spend must of your time on the forums, hoping that the Devs with state their plans for Foundry?
    No

3. Did you believe the patch was fair to you or others?
    Drops, XP and coin should be standard across the board whether it's a mob in the main campaign or one in the foundry.
    The method of exploitation should be fixed rather than nerfing reward (Punishing everyone for the actions of the few).
    If it's a temporary nerf until they patch the exploit then I'm fine with it.

4. Did you take this patch to heart then uninstall?
    No

5. Did you think the nerf was going be that horrible?
    I didn't expect a nerf at all, punishment for the exploiters for sure.

6. Do you care where this game is going?
    I plan to spend a fair amount of time producing Foundry content, so I prefer that the game lasts a few years so that my efforts weren't a complete waste of time.

^^ Pretty much how I would respond to each question. I've played MMOs for years. Changes like this are almost always temporary until a more reasonable solution is reached. Patience, Grasshoppers.
  • ch40sth30rych40sth30ry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey I like telling how it is and I have a very blunt manner of speaking.

If 100% of the community was in complete agreement with you then you would be "telling it how it is". But since obviously there are a players here that either don't care, are not really affected by it or outright disagree with you, you are simply "telling it how you see it".

I do understand why 20 ogres in a sewer is appealing or even critical to the short attention span crowd, I used to be in the crowd myself back in the day. But some of us think THAT is weak.

This is a complex issue, and their resolution was heavy-handed, I completely agree on that. For myself, I am willing to be patient and give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt to do the right thing moving forward with the understanding that they felt the need to do something immediately. Quick fixes are typically never the comprehensive fixes.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If 100% of the community was in complete agreement with you then you would be "telling it how it is". But since obviously there are a players here that either don't care, are not really affected by it or outright disagree with you, you are simply "telling it how you see it".

I do understand why 20 ogres in a sewer is appealing or even critical to the short attention span crowd, I used to be in the crowd myself back in the day. But some of us think THAT is weak.

This is a complex issue, and their resolution was heavy-handed, I completely agree on that. For myself, I am willing to be patient and give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt to do the right thing moving forward with the understanding that they felt the need to do something immediately. Quick fixes are typically never the comprehensive fixes.

I think it was a quick fix out of desperation, keep in mind we tested the hell out of this in Alpha and Beta and it didn't come up, but yes of course they will refine it. As long as the legitimate foundry maps aren't shuffled to the bottom I could care less, or they could let you buy an advance level scroll, boom problem solved.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as the legitimate foundry maps aren't shuffled to the bottom I could care less,.

You were making a good point up in till you said this. I dont like the style of KILL EVERYTHING MAPS \o/ but it doesnt make them any less legit than story based ones. Its sad but for this MMO to continue to survive it needs to pander to the masses.
  • asmatiasmati Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure do. I play a game because it is fun to do so. If one plays MMORPGs to Max out level as fast as possible and pretend they are some form of higher power because they hit level cap in a week, your missing out.

2. Did you spend must of your time on the forums, hoping that the Devs with state their plans for Foundry?
    I spend minimal time on Forums. Because they go from a repository of knowledge to a place for people to *****/whine/moan.

Sure do. While those that exploit a creative tool should be the focus of punishment for breaking it for everyone. It is difficult to do that in this type of system (MMO). Anyone that did not see this getting abused by some, likely had no experience with Neverwinter Nights. When you give the populace the ability to give themselves XP/Loot/anything and give them a way to do so at little risk your asking for things like this to happen.

Uhh no... That would be a pathetic response. Remember this game is still officially in Beta. That means they could, should they so desire, wipe out everything and make everyone start over again. It happens, it could still happen just days before official launch (pre-launch in the case of early access). Players thinking that the game is "Live" or has "Gone Gold" need to stop and think. That BETA tag on the game means things can change at any time.

Yup. Because I saw what happened to City of's Architect Update, Everquest had a similar option called Lost Dungeons of Norath, and other games have had their own version of this. They all went the same way. Released > Abused > Nerfed > *****ed About. Go make your own game if you don't like it.

Sure I do. I truly enjoyed Neverwinter Nights. I really enjoyed the World Builder. Neverwinter contains aspects of both. While I have my reservations about the "market system" they are using (GW2 has lockboxes and keys like NW). As long as they don't offer anything in "market" that cannot be gotten in-game (not including things of an aesthetic nature) I am good.

Complaints of "NERFing" in any game system comes off as less about the changes made and more about "I not as cool". How about not complaining changes made to a game you did not make, and learn how the changes affect your game play, then make adjustments.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as the legitimate foundry maps aren't shuffled to the bottom I could care less, or they could let you buy an advance level scroll, boom problem solved.

I'm a big fan of "legitimate" foundry content as you claim here, but I have no issue if people want to make farming maps. Sorry, stormy, but your derision of those who want to play the game the way they want to play it smacks of elitism. In fact, you started antagonizing the people who are now reacting badly, and playing it up like they are the unwashed masses. I personally disapprove, even though I personally share your view of the content I personally wish to play.
  • shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I guess my mindset is...why would you be upset that you can no longer rush to end game and instead have to..you know...play the game. Maybe I'm weird that I don't see a D&D based game (as far from D&D as this is...) as a game were you just pound ogres for 6 hours and reach end game. Then what do you do? Run a few dungeons over and over again? If you don't like the foundry quests where, you know, there is an actual quest....why are you playing an RPG? There are plenty of games out there where you can build a character and beat things up with no plot or substance.

Maybe I'm confused?

I just never have gotten it. I play a game to play a game. In DDO, it took me two years to reach cap with my first toon. In neverwinter, I couldn't even access the foundry to make my quests until yesterday (finally hit level 15!) I like to take my time, enjoy the game. I want to play it and have fun with it. Not just power my way to 60 so that I have to start looking for a new game next week because I'm now bored...and the Foundry was a way to do that. You could do a mix of foundry and story quests, or even just foundry quests, to get to the highest level, even after the nerf, if you aren't focused on just killing a bunch of ogres repeatedly.
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • xydsxlegendxydsxlegend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I am loving the feedback about this in-game problem. I understand there are players who are against this nerf and players who are with it. I made this thread to see how players feel/think about this patch. I didn't attend this thread to have arguments. I understand that you have the impulse to talk down to someone but try not to. I believe you are able to just respect other players thoughts/feelings. So, all I am asking is stay on the topic. Devs will closed this thread if this doesn't stop.

"Remember every Legend has their day."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Early Gamer Get the Levels"
    by Profesor Legend

Profesor%20Legend.jpg
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    forien69 wrote: »
    I don't understand their crying, I still can easily level up. Maybe because I do not play farm maps, only normal ones with mix of everything

Even with Farm Maps, and even Farm Maps with Ogres that can't hit back I do not see the issue. For one, the economy is based on Astral Diamond and Zen so the gold you earn and greens that dropped meant squat in the grand scheme of things.

I actually enjoyed some of those missions as they bought in a sense of old school grinding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • xydsxlegendxydsxlegend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Even with Farm Maps, and even Farm Maps with Ogres that can't hit back I do not see the issue. For one, the economy is based on Astral Diamond and Zen so the gold you earn and greens that dropped meant squat in the grand scheme of things.

I actually enjoyed some of those missions as they bought in a sense of old school grinding.

I agreed, I don't understand why some players don't understand that. Might of been another story if the economy wasn't base on Astral Diamond and Zen. Like 10 bucks for a bag or 30 for a epic mount.(This is real money) Some players play f2p game bc they don't have to funds for p2p. The this economy you are better off playing a p2p game!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    by Profesor Legend

Profesor%20Legend.jpg
  • senjaxsenjax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    A) Yes! I love this game. It is an absolute joy to play.

A) No I didn't actually. I spent all of yesterday in the foundry working on my module. After I was done with that I play tested a few others for folks.

A) Absolutly. I feel if you create something using their tools that creates an exploit within the game and the tools are not used with their original intent in mind then they have every right to fix it. I play foundry missions for one reason and one reason only. D&D is and has always been about crafting a story for folks to enjoy and play in. That is what I seek in foundry missions. Yeah the occasional arena challenge is ok, but the ones I've played still have a story. I'm not playing them to see how fast I can level, or for massive xp. I want to appreciate and enjoy the work that others have put into their own adventures.

A) Nope.

A) I don't think it was horrible at all. I leveled 2 characters yesterday doing foundry missions and I had a lot of fun while doing it.

A) Yes I do. I believe they are taking steps in the right direction to make this "my" MMO. I love it and I love the foundry. There are some really great authors out there. Keep doing what you're doing and know that at leasts one person definately appreciates all your hard work.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think you are just mad that your ogre grind was taken down. lol. Tell me i am wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • dajaxcrimdajaxcrim Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems as though the same song and dance that has occured in every game that uses a player generated content system. CoH, STO, now this have always had issues with farms being created and exploited. My own view is that id=f that is how someone wants to spend their time in a game then by all means. Just makes them look like a tool when they are capped out and have no idea where the top end quests/missions are located. This game is great in its own right, foundry quest are just added flavor. Farm quests are the rotten fruit in the salad, but hey whatever foats your boat. Just my 2 copper.
  • cyguard1cyguard1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I havent played the game since the update I can't really say either way. However I've never been a big grind nut and prefer the game content made by professionals over that of wannabe game designers. Farms in general always leave a foul stench behind them and it seems like a cheap way to get leveled. With this being a f2p game though, cheap is the order of the day so live it up. I'll stay out of the foundry and actuallly enjoy what the devs have worked on.
    Foundry Designs: Once a Dungeon Master, always a Dungeon Master.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think you are just mad that your ogre grind was taken down. lol. Tell me i am wrong.
    Last I looked, which was this morning, there are still plenty of grind quests, including ones creatively named like 'ogre grinder' near the top of the best list.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cyguard1 wrote: »
    As I havent played the game since the update I can't really say either way. However I've never been a big grind nut and prefer the game content made by professionals over that of wannabe game designers. Farms in general always leave a foul stench behind them and it seems like a cheap way to get leveled. With this being a f2p game though, cheap is the order of the day so live it up. I'll stay out of the foundry and actuallly enjoy what the devs have worked on.

Even the developers will admit that the Foundry is a giant part of the game, and a very impressive one. If you choose not to play, you miss a lot of great stories. The users might surprise you. The xp wack is pefectly acceptable. None of the quests made to be legitimate actual quests were hit very hard at all.. mine didnt even take a tiny wack as far as I know. but then, i didnt try to exploit it and find the best ways to take advantage of it. The people that got ahold of it and made the foundry into a joke apparently see that they were nerfed. Not being able to get to sixty in a day is such a pain, isnt it? (bleeding sarcasm here)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • cyguard1cyguard1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh I agree with the statement of some good quests. I made plenty of missions when I played CoH and have considered making some for this. However, the farms always screw up these things and usually those that are first to cry foul are those that make said farms. I also agree with your last statement about 0-60 in a day. Its always funny to see a maxed out character that doesn't know squat about where anything important is in game.
    Foundry Designs: Once a Dungeon Master, always a Dungeon Master.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cyguard1 wrote: »
    Oh I agree with the statement of some good quests. I made plenty of missions when I played CoH and have considered making some for this. However, the farms always screw up these things and usually those that are first to cry foul are those that make said farms. I also agree with your last statement about 0-60 in a day. Its always funny to see a maxed out character that doesn't know squat about where anything important is in game.
    A day? Someone made a thread in general where it took 3 hours.
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what are your positions in light of the lessening of XP and Loot throttling mentioned in today's patch notes? Will that make the Foundry worthwhile, again?

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
    edited May 2013
    So, they did another change to the exp in foundry today with this patch. Sooooo, do anyone see a change? I don't see a change what so ever in exp gain, maybe this is only me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    by Profesor Legend

Profesor%20Legend.jpg
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said "I was going to spend money until..."
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • tadachetadache Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't speak to the XP change, since I pay little attention to XP (I'm in no hurry to reach max level). But, I can say that the drops were as good as before. I ran a foundry quest I had never run before -- one in the Review section. It took about 20 minutes to run and I got: 10 identification scrolls, 7 potions and a bunch of green items.

Seems to me the motivation is still there to enjoy the Foundry. In addition to the main motivation for me, which is to just enjoy player made content! :-)
  • enctenct Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kill XP limiters have been improved and relaxed.
    yesterday: kill 2 ogres = experience capped
    today: kill 2 ogres = experience capped

I don't notice a difference
    edited May 2013
    enct wrote: »
    yesterday: kill 2 ogres = experience capped
    today: kill 2 ogres = experience capped

I don't notice a difference

There is no change man. Can't be, I am getting the same exp. At this rate I might as well wait for ESO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    by Profesor Legend

Profesor%20Legend.jpg
  • darthannondarthannon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can kill ogres out in the world if you just want to kill ogres. I don't see the deal? What bothers me is when the XP cap is reached in a legitimate, non ogre-spam quest.
This discussion has been closed.