test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Nerfs.

Comments

• Options
    misspaigeymisspaigey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Totally saw this coming.

As a six and a half year vet of City of Heroes(the game that -pioneered- user generated content, by the way), when the Mission Architect system came out.....same thing happened. People made a bunch of low-risk, high-reward maps and just farmed the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of them. Bans were leveled once exploits were found. People wailed and gnashed teeth. Paragon Studios started the nerfs. Eventually, the rewards of running AE missions just wasn't worth the effort and people stopped playing AE missions. Even the "good" ones, that were story based.

Taking that page from the lesson book presented to you, Cryptic developers...do NOT remove or reduce the rewards in Foundry missions, otherwise the main draw of your game is now defunct and nullified. Word of warning from someone who has SEEN it happen. Don't repeat someone else's mistake.

Yep, also a CoH vet, this is not a good nerf for them in the long run.
    Blame it on the skinny jeans.
  • Options
    noluknoluk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    For everyone claiming this doesn't hurt anything and that others leveling to 60 quickly have no advantages.... Let's say I want to join a guild with my normally leveled 15 GF and a level 60 GF also wants to join. We both play casually but in 10 hours I am 20 and he is 60. Who gets that guild spot? A large percentage of players are now at the cap and are actively playing the end game content. My interactions with any of them no longer exist until I also reach 60 and catch up to them in gear tier levels.. which will be more difficult since they will have progressed past the first tier levels. By removing the foundry xp farms you have created a static situation where some players are now behind others and that gap is going to increase not decrease in the future.

Additionally the solution cripples one of the unique features of the game with player created content being a viable way to level. Hundreds of storytellers can and will tell more stories than the team of 3 at PWE. There are lots of other MMO's with lots of the same features as Neverwinter but there was honestly only 1 Foundry. Nerf that feature and what compelling feature keeps me in Neverwinter compared to another game? Maybe the unfinished classes and the coming soon features? Or perhaps the fine character development and end game raiding. The open world PVP? The sandbox features that let me wander the world and find new stories and quests everywhere? Ohh wait, it is the excellent search features for the Auction hall. Neverwinter is a third rate game in it's current state without the foundry. As a glaring example of how little love has been put into the game by the team compared to the love from the fans...... I look at this post I have typed and wonder how no one on the Dev team ever noticed that the forum spellcheck does not know how to spell a certain word correctly. The word, of course, being Neverwinter... why would anyone posting on these forums ever need to use that word.
  • Options
    tmctmc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't worry, it will be back soon enough. I give it a month until they add a new service to the Zen store costing 3500 Zen to quadruple XP and item gains from Foundry missions.
  • Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Punish everyone because of people we don't like but can't figure out a way to punish directly."

Yeah, that has *never* ended badly.
  • Options
    misspaigeymisspaigey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Punish everyone because of people we don't like but can't figure out a way to punish directly."

Yeah, that has *never* ended badly.

Heh, unfortunately that's what happened.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I complete agree. Severely reducing Foundry drops or XP is a pretty heavy handed way to fix things. Cryptic should instead make monsters that cannot hit players give no loot or XP. Don't penalize all the good foundry adventures just because of a few bad eggs.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Moderator Notice:

. . . . . This thread has now been cleansed with Silverfire. All trolls, insults, exploit details, and other rude remarks were removed without impunity. Because of the nature of many of the removed posts, they were removed entirely from the public forums instead of going to the Depths.

. . . . .Any further violations of the Rules of Conduct will result in formal Infractions upon your account and may lead to posting permissions being revoked or out-right banned.

. . . . .Do not reply to this Moderator Notice, instead contact us via PM or Support to discuss Moderator actions, for doing so on the forums is not allowed.

The violation of the following rules is what has lead to the massive, two-page cleansing of this thread:
    A Note about Respect
    We're here to have fun and to share information with each other. With so many different personalities gathered in one place, clashes are bound to happen now and then. But how one conducts oneself during these situations makes all the difference. While opinions are valued on the forums, please remember to respect each other and have discussions and not arguments. If you find yourself disagreeing with another member, think first and then calmly compose your words. Treat each other how you would like to be treated.

No trolling, or flaming.
    Any form of personal insult will not be tolerated. General rule of thumb: if you think that what you are about to post is insulting, don't post it.

Trolling:
    Attempts to incite others to anger, frustration or similar; also attempts to incite flaming or luring others into violating these rules.

Defaming:
    Anything negative posted about another person, if you have something to report please submit a ticket. The forums are not the correct place to report bad behavior.

No "I Quit" threads.
    We're sorry to see you go, but please keep your goodbyes to PMs or in game messages. These threads do not contribute to the community discussion and generally end in hate or flames.

No inappropriate discussion types.
    Inappropriate discussion-types include, but are not limited to, the following discussion types: Politics, Religious issues, Abortion debates, drug use, etc. Common sense should dictate what is appropriate or not.

Keep posts on-topic.
    Keep the topic in mind when you post. Refrain from posting irrelevant information. Off topic posts may be edited, moved, or removed as needed.

Off topic:
    Please do not stray from the topic stated within the body of the thread by its creator. Threads that have gone off that topic will be edited, split or locked. Threads are posted in the wrong section will be moved. Threads that are created with no purpose other than to spam will be taken off of the forum.

No representing banned members.
    Don't represent any banned individuals. They were banned for a reason. Assisting them in any way or form will lump you in the same boat. This includes posting from your alt to ask about one of your own characters being banned from the forums.

No discussion about competing MMORPG's
    Please keep discussion on the Neverwinter forums specific to Neverwinter!
    Discussion of console, handheld, mobile & non-MMORPG/non-Free to Play PC games are allowed in the Off-Topic Forums only.

Forum Bans.
    If your forum account is banned for a violation, it is not allowed to continue posting on an alternate forum account for the duration of said ban. Doing so will be considered ban evasion, and the original ban will may be extended in response. In severe cases, your in-game account may be suspended as well.
  • Options
    yupp99yupp99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    I complete agree. Severely reducing Foundry drops or XP is a pretty heavy handed way to fix things. Cryptic should instead make monsters that cannot hit players give no loot or XP. Don't penalize all the good foundry adventures just because of a few bad eggs.

Why they already have monsters that can hit not give loot?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, just did a Foundry mission. Level 25, somewhat story-based (not the most amazing story, but it was a new one I was trying out. Not every one will be a winner), so it had some NPCs to talk to, some traveling, decent amount of combat (typical 3-4 normal guys, or 2 normals & an enforcer/officer groups). Not just a bunch of monsters summoned repeatedly in a room.

Got items (1 white, 7 green, 1 blue :eek:), 2 kits, 2 potions, 2 runes, 2 ID scrolls, and a green crafting resource. Oh, and about half a level of xp.

I'm not seeing "the Foundry is dead" here. Not sure what else to say. /shrug
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Okay, just did a Foundry mission. Level 25, somewhat story-based (not the most amazing story, but it was a new one I was trying out. Not every one will be a winner), so it had some NPCs to talk to, some traveling, decent amount of combat (typical 3-4 normal guys, or 2 normals & an enforcer/officer groups). Not just a bunch of monsters summoned repeatedly in a room.

Got items (1 white, 7 green, 1 blue :eek:), 2 kits, 2 potions, 2 runes, 2 ID scrolls, and a green crafting resource. Oh, and about half a level of xp.

That's because you had the bonus Foundry on at the top of your map, that's when running them is somewhat acceptable.
  • Options
    ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Well if they wanted to kill the game faster. They sure as heck are doing it.
  • Options
    temgartemgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The foundry was the only reason to play this game. It is what set it apart from other MMOs. If players are not going to run the foundry missions, what is the incentive to author any foundry missions? I am now seriously considering dropping the mission I was making. Who wants to take the time and effort to make a mission no one will play through?
  • Options
    xraxisxraxis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dropped $60 for a founders pack. I do the foundries for the story, and creativity of others. I originally thought it would be no xp/items at all except for maybe a chest at the end with a bit of both. I think they could tweak it to give a little more xp and items, but the main purpose of the foundry isn't loot or xp.

Seems like there is a real issue of entitlement in this community, and I think that's what will really be the downfall of this game.
    The people who are crying the loudest aren't the majority, because the majority are too busy playing the game and having fun.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    temgar wrote: »
    The foundry was the only reason to play this game. It is what set it apart from other MMOs. If players are not going to run the foundry missions, what is the incentive to author any foundry missions? I am now seriously considering dropping the mission I was making. Who wants to take the time and effort to make a mission no one will play through?

Yep, I was definitely going to be making a few and messing around with them, but I won't be anymore.
  • Options
    ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013

At 60 they scale to be very hard to solo. The rewards is not even worth the trouble. So GL to you all. Now that it is nerf, no reason to do it. I change my mind. Maybe this is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xraxis wrote: »
    I dropped $60 for a founders pack. I do the foundries for the story, and creativity of others. I originally thought it would be no xp/items at all except for maybe a chest at the end with a bit of both. I think they could tweak it to give a little more xp and items, but the main purpose of the foundry isn't loot or xp.

Seems like there is a real issue of entitlement in this community, and I think that's what will really be the downfall of this game.
    The people who are crying the loudest aren't the majority, because the majority are too busy playing the game and having fun.

And I dropped $340 for founder's pack and Zen. I did the foundries for exp and items, not story and creativity. It works both ways, just because you don't like it one way doesn't mean your way's right you know.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »

I did several as well, the drops seem to still be there, I didn't leave in worse shape than I came in and in one I received a very nice Amulet.

Aside from not seeing the OB and grind missions anymore, can't tell the difference.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    liquinliquin Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misspaigey wrote: »
    sure you've "fixed" (aka destroyed) the foundry.
    oh, the point of the Foundry was to make your character lvl 60? that's odd... I thought it was for player to make fun adventures... huh..

Personally, I think they should have made this Beta a real Beta & wiped (that way they can actually TEST) but it wouldn't be as profitable.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013

I bet if you search for this, you can find this exactly, word for word, every time Cryptic fixes an exploit in the STO Foundry, from multiple people. And then the Foundry keeps on expanding, and the playerbase keeps on expanding, and those same people come back to complain that the next fix when they find another exploit.

If the quest you were developing is legit, it'll still be legit after this fix, and after the next round of tweaks. If it was an exploit, by all means stop working on it. :)

Meanwhile the Foundry continues to draw massive numbers of people to this game.
  • Options
    neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is why we can't have nice things.

The foundry wasn't implemented so that people could power level. It was so that we could create content and share stories and experiences with the community. I'm actually happy that those maps were removed/nerfed. It means you'll see more people in queues and doing other stuff. The damage has been done and they didn't say anything against it so they can't really do anything without doing a wipe.
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The incentive would be the story.. That's the whole idea behind the foundry. User created stories that you all can enjoy, that was the whole point behind it. Sure they should maybe reward some experience points and maybe an item or something, but the focus is not that, but the story and the journey, to see what happens in the quest.

A great fix for all the nerfs would've been that the chest only gave the experience reward. All the mobs would still drop items and such, but reward no experience. It would all be calculated based on what you did and how long it took. For example if you went idle for 4 hours and killed nothing you wouldn't get much. If you spent 10 min aoeing 100 ogres you wouldn't get much either. If you spent 1 hour killing ~30 mobs doing a story driven quest, you would get a decent ammount of xp. If you spent 1 hour killing ogres you would also get a decent ammount of xp. Then another good fix would've been to make mobs immune if they can't attack you for a while, meaning if they are stuck in a pit, they can't die, if you have to fight them evenly, they do.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misspaigey wrote: »
    You're right, it wasn't an exploit to me, but even if they think it is, they still let all of the "exploiters" get away with it, now there's 60s all over the place, that's my problem with it.

So your solution is what? To let the exploit continue? Ban all the accounts that used it? Who the hell cares if a couple people got to 60 using it? It hardly takes any time to level even doing so legit.
  • Options
    temgartemgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    The incentive would be the story.. That's the whole idea behind the foundry. User created stories that you all can enjoy, that was the whole point behind it. Sure they should maybe reward some experience points and maybe an item or something, but the focus is not that, but the story and the journey, to see what happens in the quest.

A great fix for all the nerfs would've been that the chest only gave the experience reward. All the mobs would still drop items and such, but reward no experience. It would all be calculated based on what you did and how long it took. For example if you went idle for 4 hours and killed nothing you wouldn't get much. If you spent 10 min aoeing 100 ogres you wouldn't get much either. If you spent 1 hour killing ~30 mobs doing a story driven quest, you would get a decent ammount of xp. If you spent 1 hour killing ogres you would also get a decent ammount of xp. Then another good fix would've been to make mobs immune if they can't attack you for a while, meaning if they are stuck in a pit, they can't die, if you have to fight them evenly, they do.

No one should take my first post as complaining please. I run the foundry missions for the story, hence why I wanted to make one. My intended use was never as a gear or exp grind. My main point is the fear that if people stop running foundry missions or run them rarely, then people will stop making any or very few of them. Then there will be no new stories or very few anyway, for those of us who run them for the story. I could care less about nerfs, they happen in every MMO I have played since 1999 when my journey began. People complain about the nerf, get used to it, end of story until the next nerf. I really never care about exploiters either, they usually burn themselves out and run out of stuff to do and move to another game anyway.
  • Options
    quseioquseio Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    This is my idea...

all player get a skill for useing their damage abilities if the skill is not raised skills start to fail they just dont work after a point limit the rate at which you can raise the skill and bam no one can use foundry missions to lvl stupid fast
    for example say the devs decree we dont think its possible to lvl more than x amount a day so they set the skill gain limit to that, lets say 7 lvls a day. If you play normally you have no problem raiseing skill, it would happen with normal play

well what if someone hits it accidentaly and now cant cast, unlikely id say BUT, you just got to wait x amount of time

or maybe instead of no damage at all you start doing less and less till its barely doing any damage

Oh and if you devs think this is great idea and want to give me a job id be ecstatic lol.
  • Options
    girmmgirmm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Leveling in this game is trivial, I didn't mash on ogres and managed to get to 60 just fine in under 2 and 1/2 days of played time going through dev provided content with the occasional pvp match or foundry quest.

Who cares if someone killed mobs in the foundry vs. ran through the premade content the dev's provided to get to 60. I most certainly would like to level more characters and if I'm going to be rehashing the same quests to get there it mind as well be efficient....
  • Options
    cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dailies for Astral Diamonds. I think its incentive enough for ppl to do Foundry quests.
  • Options
    yupp99yupp99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    girmm wrote: »
    Leveling in this game is trivial, I didn't mash on ogres and managed to get to 60 just fine in under 2 and 1/2 days of played time going through dev provided content with the occasional pvp match or foundry quest.

Who cares if someone killed mobs in the foundry vs. ran through the premade content the dev's provided to get to 60. I most certainly would like to level more characters and if I'm going to be rehashing the same quests to get there it mind as well be efficient....

I am 34 and playing since the 30th.I putter around alot.Another game it took me two weeks from 50 to 55.Everyone plays different.It works for me.
  • Options
    syllphsyllph Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    So your solution is what? To let the exploit continue? Ban all the accounts that used it? Who the hell cares if a couple people got to 60 using it? It hardly takes any time to level even doing so legit.

I don't really have an opinion on the foundry stuff as I'm new and have only run a few of them - that being said I agree with part of this post. I downloaded this game on Sunday, I've played perhaps eight hours and I'm level 30. It's not like it takes very long to level. (PS I've only really done the main quest, the only foundry thing I've run is the hidden blade. PVP got me like six levels though, that seems pretty broken if anything. )
  • Options
    zamerizameri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    quseio wrote: »
    This is my idea...

all player get a skill for useing their damage abilities if the skill is not raised skills start to fail they just dont work after a point limit the rate at which you can raise the skill and bam no one can use foundry missions to lvl stupid fast
    for example say the devs decree we dont think its possible to lvl more than x amount a day so they set the skill gain limit to that, lets say 7 lvls a day. If you play normally you have no problem raiseing skill, it would happen with normal play

well what if someone hits it accidentaly and now cant cast, unlikely id say BUT, you just got to wait x amount of time

or maybe instead of no damage at all you start doing less and less till its barely doing any damage

Oh and if you devs think this is great idea and want to give me a job id be ecstatic lol.

Yes, because stamina systems work SO well in North American games..... i guess we are like korea and DIE from playing games
  • Options
    paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is not open for debate... Who cares if someone is 60; its none of your business or effects you in anyway. The problem was exploited maps... Not maps with 50 Ogres in it (thats 100% legit.) But a <removed exploit details> Like the guy above me said; lvling is trivial. I can cap with Vanilla content in 1 day and 10-12 hours. The Foundry exploit is around 15 hours with CW... Maybe even faster. Again nothing huge in advantage there... Its just time.
    Your real issue is that those <removed exploit details> dropped tons of Gold and Items... Again who cares most of it was taken out of game from vendors prob not trading. (But that is still the only valid complaint; whether I agree of not.)

Now they could have given <removed exploit details> invincibility; like lots of games, and or fixed the bugged traps for one.

Instead they Nerf the foundry's themselves? :/ This is a bad thing not a good thing in any way. And this will lead to policing of the content...Something they should be in control of. Your already had 100s QQing about anyone grinding... I mean are you kidding me?
    And to the guy who says the only people running foundries should be for fun <removed insult>; plz tell us how to play more...

Ive never seen so many people looking for group content before... Let people farm if they want.. You can do the same thing ANYWHERE in the game.

Remove the exploiting map makers and problem solved... The flag system was also a good step; cept for your going to get <removed insult> sending you exploit warnings because they don't know the difference. Maybe if anything the review time by staff should take longer.
    Im ok with it taking a week to activate if it means things can go back to how they were. Because this is nothing more then a shell of what it was...

Instead they crippled the foundry... Who is going to run foundry at 75%+ xp reduction to rest of world (even less in party) or the fact items drops are reduced also. 60s will have no incentive to even bother. This is a shame... Its merely a supplement now; there goes the magic of endless content...

Again... this was a huge part of this game. The incentives other then for the hell of it are none now...

I am worried because this is a sign of how they plan on handling things.

They should have established the flagging system, and Banned Exploiting map makers... I dont even care about the players. They did nothing but take advantage of what the game allowed to happen. (They didn't see that coming?)

Then give it a lil while and take a look at balancing more... This was to much at once.

Im not QQing, its really upsetting and takes a nic at part of the magic of this game.

And no, even with the daily incentive for AD its not enough to raise the participation to where it was at. It was almost an entire game in itself. Now it will just be people poking their head in or bored to death. (Other then the daily.)

Im sorry it just feels the exploiters got free 60s and the average players get the shaft for it... That makes no sense.

Should have done the flagging and banning of creators first then looked into the rest... not all at once; that was foolish.

Please reevaluate