test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter's top five issues!

brolleunbrolleun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Take this review for what it is worth Cryptic and Perfect World: a fair critique.

1) No vote kick command:

Being in a party is supposed to be an enjoyable experience that individuals commit to when wishing to do group based content, but in the Neverwinter experience a plague seems to be cropping up where people join a queue but do not participate, or simply idle for extreme amounts of time, and the real “kicker” is the player can’t vote to remove the dead weight and find suitable replacements.

2) Companions are a cruel joke:

The companions in Neverwinter are simply useless, a waste of space, and only become a poorly designed straw man at later levels: anywhere from twenty five and above. I don’t understand the intention of making content based around a player and their companion when the companions become absolutely obsolete.

3) Astral Diamonds aren’t even worth the effort:

Any gamer understands the concepts of goals, achievements, and chasing the proverbial carrot on a stick, but in Neverwinter a player simply can’t even foresee achievable or realistic futures with the amount of severely over priced items that have a Astral Diamond price tag attached to them. Astral Diamonds only intent is to make the player feel like a second class citizen; and especially when the “consumer” does not want to constantly shell out personal income on mechanics that shouldn’t even have a monetary value attached to them: companions, mount training, respecing, reassigning enchantments, and crafting.

4) We all have to earn a living:

Any rational human-being isn’t going to throw money away on overvalued merchandise. In the “real” world people understand the value of their dollar, and don’t spend their expendable income frivolously. A free to play multi-media online game has to gain some sort of income to justify the work placed into, but the doesn’t excuse poor or unethical business practices, and if Cryptic or Perfect World wants to treat this “game” solely as a product they aren’t delivering; also as a consumer I am not willing to “buy” your “product” again, again, and again for each character I make. Fixing a price tag to every feature grows old quick: crafting, respecing, reassigning enchantments, companions, and mount training. Either find a healthy balance in selling convenience, or simply watch your so called “active accounts” die off. I must have failed to realize when it actually became acceptable to micro manage in game content, as I didn’t realize I was actually going to Disney Land, and paying for the entrance fee, food, rides, and lodging.

5) Crafting is laughable at best:

Crafting is tedious, monotonous, and comparable to a skinner box. I’d cry if this mechanic wasn’t such a huge punch line at how to simulate a factory line or sweatshop.
Post edited by brolleun on

Comments

• terrell396terrell396 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what about the random lag
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No Lizardman playable race
  • papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I alrdy uninstalled after getting 60, gearing up (pvp, which LOL has no power stat on its gear, also most stats are just garbage, for example 15k arp = 30%, unatainable and worthless), and running a few "dungeons" overcrowded with trash mobs after waiting in que for 3 hours and getting in a party of 3 TR's and 2 CW's.
  • cett2cett2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me fix that for you.

1) Auction House. few things including - Searching for level specific items only (50-55 example), categorizing bid/buyout doesnt work?

2) Dungeon Queue system - no re-queueing for dropped player or chat to find one (other than guild ofc or the LFG chat acrosss all games lawl)

3) Needing blue/purples when you cant use it

4) Mail system and its duplicate problems and deleting hassles

5) Smoke bomb crashing players

my opinions :)
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree with the crafting. I sent my crafter dude on a mission to make eight chain links or something like that. The I noticed the timer said six hours. Of coarse I had the option to spend 38,000 AD to speed him up. Pretty ridiculous everything comes back to AD.

I spent $60 for a pack and $5 more on Zen. I am certainly done spending. I loved this game at first and defended it. Now I am starting to agree with people about PWE business ethics. The game is playable with out money for sure. But it is much better if you are willing to keep an open trickle of cash going into PWE. I would much rather pay $60 and $15/mo for a complete game.
  • rushnorrushnor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    brolleun wrote: »
    Take this review for what it is worth Cryptic and Perfect World: a fair critique.

1) No vote kick command:

Being in a party is supposed to be an enjoyable experience that individuals commit to when wishing to do group based content, but in the Neverwinter experience a plague seems to be cropping up where people join a queue but do not participate, or simply idle for extreme amounts of time, and the real “kicker” is the player can’t vote to remove the dead weight and find suitable replacements.

The companions in Neverwinter are simply useless, a waste of space, and only become a poorly designed straw man at later levels: anywhere from twenty five and above. I don’t understand the intention of making content based around a player and their companion when the companions become absolutely obsolete.

Any gamer understands the concepts of goals, achievements, and chasing the proverbial carrot on a stick, but in Neverwinter a player simply can’t even foresee achievable or realistic futures with the amount of severely over priced items that have a Astral Diamond price tag attached to them. Astral Diamonds only intent is to make the player feel like a second class citizen; and especially when the “consumer” does not want to constantly shell out personal income on mechanics that shouldn’t even have a monetary value attached to them: companions, mount training, respecing, reassigning enchantments, and crafting.

Any rational human-being isn’t going to throw money away on overvalued merchandise. In the “real” world people understand the value of their dollar, and don’t spend their expendable income frivolously. A free to play multi-media online game has to gain some sort of income to justify the work placed into, but the doesn’t excuse poor or unethical business practices, and if Cryptic or Perfect World wants to treat this “game” solely as a product they aren’t delivering; also as a consumer I am not willing to “buy” your “product” again, again, and again for each character I make. Fixing a price tag to every feature grows old quick: crafting, respecing, reassigning enchantments, companions, and mount training. Either find a healthy balance in selling convenience, or simply watch your so called “active accounts” die off. I must have failed to realize when it actually became acceptable to micro manage in game content, as I didn’t realize I was actually going to Disney Land, and paying for the entrance fee, food, rides, and lodging.

Crafting is tedious, monotonous, and comparable to a skinner box. I’d cry if this mechanic wasn’t such a huge punch line at how to simulate a factory line or sweatshop.

Welcome to Pefrect World games... ;).
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    Point 1. don't be antisocial and find in game friends to run stuff . . .

point 2. Companion A.I is spotty yes, but solo content can be done without them at all. .

point 3. AD generation is significantly higher in this game then Cryptic's other two F2P MMO's. . .

point 4. the mounts in the Zen store are account wide, so that negates mount training. It is impossible to "gimp" your character with the current power point/feat system, so respecs are not mandatory. You seem to contradict yourself in saying you NEED companions from the store to play, but state that they are all useless in your 2nd point. . .

point 5. show me one mainstream MMO where crafting is not some type of "gather, click once, wait, ding all done!"
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Leave and find another group or join a guild.
    2. There are companions which don't die and give permanent stats while summoned. During the early stages of leveling some players may require some aid while questing.
    3. You can't expect much from Open Beta. D3 was in the making how many years? And how long was the beta? How long has it been since full release? WHERE IS THE ****ING PVP?
    4. I've spent $2000 in total of my hard earned cash, and I enjoy spending every cent of it here. Problem?
    5. Their crafting system probably earned them more money than you have your whole life. As much as it is a game, it's a business and people work for the business. People require money to live, nothing's free.

Your opinions are just *****ing. Maybe play the game some more like cett2 there and come up with some real issues.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    #1: Hardly a big deal.
    #2: Companion upgrades just aren't in yet.
    #3: Luxury, mostly. And honestly, you can make a good amount of AD if you want to put a little effort into it. But this point is really mostly opinion, so meh, could argue this for an eternity.
    #4: Maybe you should see it more as going to Disney Land? It makes sense, too, if you think about it…
    #5: Optional. Don't like it, don't do it. You can't expect that all features and mechanics of a game are going to appeal to you. Set realistic expectations. Also, crafting is always going to be tedious, or did you have some revolutionary system/concept in mind that makes it truly fun? And remember, you can't just offer a button that reads 'click here to craft godly equipment; your order will be done in 30 seconds!'. I hope you understand why.
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    Point 1. don't be antisocial and find in game friends to run stuff . . .

point 2. Companion A.I is spotty yes, but solo content can be done without them at all. .

point 3. AD generation is significantly higher in this game then Cryptic's other two F2P MMO's. . .

point 4. the mounts in the Zen store are account wide, so that negates mount training. It is impossible to "gimp" your character with the current power point/feat system, so respecs are not mandatory. You seem to contradict yourself in saying you NEED companions from the store to play, but state that they are all useless in your 2nd point. . .

point 5. show me one mainstream MMO where crafting is not some type of "gather, click once, wait, ding all done!"

No other MMO takes this long to craft. I once thought SWTOR had the worst system, taking almost 2 hours once you got to 300+/400. However I am not even lvl 1 in chainmail and my quest was close to a 6 hour turn around.

Even if you consider the system of collect, craft and get your stuff no other game comes close to this at the start. They start basic and quick so you can create stuff you need. Such as a pair of boots or a weapon that will be useful to you as you level. As it stands now people will out level the need for an item long before it is created.

I don't feel it will be this way forever. Most F2P models start off by giving players the bare bones minimum and judge by the loss of players what needs adjusted. Once enough people quit over something the company will most likely make adjustments. But then again this is my first PWE or Cryptic game. I don't much care for Star Trek and Champions seemed like a City of Heroes clone.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) No vote kick command:

Yeah, this and the dropped player not being able to be replaced is a problem.

Eh, AI will be crappy for our lifetimes, especially in games, they can do their best, but there will always be issues. You can always go with the ones that give you a stat boost instead.

What? They are basically the main currency. Anything besides potions or kits are bought with them, and they can be converted to zen. Find rare things worth selling and make AD on the AH.

Nothing you need in the zen shop, and the stuff most people complain about (respecs and such) are cheap enough that you can convert AD and get them. The expensive stuff is fluff, can't afford it, then don't buy it. It's kind of like life really.

It's basically a mini-game, not somewhere to expect uber loot or anything. No need to do it really if you don't like it. Sell all crafting stuff you find, profit.
    and comparable to a skinner box

Not even close.

Heck, my biggest issues aren't even on your list. Can't preview items, auction house bugs, mail bugs, rogues crashing clients, quest paths that lead into walls. Not to mention only one paragon path per class, with only five classes.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    No other MMO takes this long to craft..

Ever Play EvE? It's not so much crafting as much as you actually learning skills, and some of those once you get past **** levels will take days, weeks, months, and don't expect to play a different character unless you have more than one account, because switching will stop training on that. That's not even something as trivial as crafting, it's your character skills. Park it in a space station so you don't get killed.
  • perfectself82perfectself82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    I would much rather pay $60 and $15/mo for a complete game.

This.

I wish they had gone with an optional subscription like in CO and STO, complete with Lifetime option and vet rewards. I would have jumped on that lifetime sub pretty much instantly.
  • rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1) Companions:
    They are too weak for their respective roll and price, cost to much to rune re-spec and abilities are somewhat lackluster.

2) Endgame:
    As it stands to date my options as a GWF endgame are dying to ridiculous control effects 1 billion times in PvP(however aesthetically pleasing it is) or dying of boredom in a dungeon grinding in PvE(yes I expected to have to run an instance bracket 5-10 times but not 30-50 to advance a dungeon tier). Please note that repetition should not be indicative of enjoyment or accomplishment as I have a job and do not wish to have payed to play another.

3)Crafting:
    Such a let down, you see all these pretty items and rewards but they are hours (in the case of level 16 up years away) without spending hundreds of thousands of astral diamond which seems like a bad joke to me.

4)Class Balance:
    I expect to be out dps'd by a rogue but not a cleric or a control wizard as a GWF, I could rant on but others have said it much more eloquently many a time at great length.

5)Character customization:
    I want more of it! .... . . .due to little or no visual separation between me and fellow members of the same class (NO I WILL NOT BUY A WEDDING DRESS). Also the dragonborn race ,a paladin class and a ranger class as the group composition feels extremely limited.

P.S. Titles are color coded for importance (mad level) I am also more then completely aware the game is in open beta ( soft launch ) however just because there are faults does not excuse them from not being fixed in a timely manner oh and i almost forgot FIX protectors enclave LAG.
  • northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    For me, the Auction House is pure awful! You can't search by level, you can't sort by any of the columns........... Heck, I should win Astral Diamonds if I find the item I am looking for on it.

Not to mention the 10% fee to use it..............Heck, they should pay US a 10% fee for using it.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    For me, the Auction House is pure awful! You can't search by level, you can't sort by any of the columns........... Heck, I should win Astral Diamonds if I find the item I am looking for on it.

Not to mention the 10% fee to use it..............Heck, they should pay US a 10% fee for using it.

Heck, you should stop being so **** funny 'cause I'm just rolling on the floor laughing.

It's called a money sink and they are necessary in virtual economies.
  • voodoopapavoodoopapa Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    honestly, I hope they never bring a vote to kick option to groups. that causes more grief than it actually solves.
  • northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Heck, you should stop being so **** funny 'cause I'm just rolling on the floor laughing.

It's called a money sink and they are necessary in virtual economies.
    I thought the credit sink was using the AH itself, since you're spending so much time trying to find what you are looking for and you are not out earning AD.
  • mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought the credit sink was using the AH itself, since you're spending so much time trying to find what you are looking for and you are not out earning AD.

Since AD is pretty much zen, i find it insulting that i must get charged a theoretical RL currency for using a store selling unreal things.
  • dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cett2 wrote: »
    Let me fix that for you.

1) Auction House. few things including - Searching for level specific items only (50-55 example), categorizing bid/buyout doesnt work?

2) Dungeon Queue system - no re-queueing for dropped player or chat to find one (other than guild ofc or the LFG chat acrosss all games lawl)

3) Needing blue/purples when you cant use it

4) Mail system and its duplicate problems and deleting hassles

my opinions :)

Sums up my opinions as well.
  • ioannides5ioannides5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    two biggest problems are the overpriced and ridiculous prices on astral diamond items, and class balance (mainly how OP TRs currently are).
  • baofengyubaofengyu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh and the great weapon fighter is garbage. Should be a striker. Not a back up tank who cant tank and only deals with adds.
  • heeeeeysaheeeeeysa Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The #1 problem is that Wizards can 1 shot any level 60 boss at the moment. This needs to be fixed and all the exploiters who 'forgot' to report it, be punished.
  • stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    heeeeeysa wrote: »
    The #1 problem is that Wizards can 1 shot any level 60 boss at the moment. This needs to be fixed and all the exploiters who 'forgot' to report it, be punished.

lolwut

is this new?
  • fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about reworking the three bosses in each of the thirteen heroic dungeons. Waves of adds are getting real boring. We could use some real creativity with the boss encounters. You do not have to throw wave after wave after wave of adds at a group to make your content difficult. Whoever come up with this mechanic for your max level content, or rather all of your games content really needs to take a step back and take a look at this if you want to keep a major portion of your player base.

Secondly, the Guardian needs massive help. Aggro is still a major issue. Single target threat is ok when needed on bosses which is not to often. The real problem is AE threat. The cleric's threat still needs to be taken down and the Guardians threat needs to come up a great deal. It is to the point to where the best group set up for T2 and Castle never content would be to go with two clerics, two control wizards and a rogue.

Third, some of your pvp sets are better then the T2 sets for certain classes. Guardian pvp set is one example. The 2 and 4 piece bonus plus the massive amount of hp is by far the best choice. I am wondering if there was more "mis communication" within the office on which vendor or loot pools to add this loot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khupa1khupa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 96
    edited May 2013
    cett2 wrote: »

Not only one get crash one get get 2 injury's too...
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Those are supposed to be the top 5?
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • heeeeeysaheeeeeysa Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lolwut

is this new?

Not quite sure how new it is, just know that a lot of people are reaping the rewards of easy-mode dungeoning at 60. Makes me sad.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My main issue is being a tank.. when playing cleric! It was strange however yesterday I changed my gear around a bit and then my threat worked as normal. Then after that dungeon and entering a new dungeon it went down the pan again... resulting with me tanking the 15-30+ adds on every boss encounter in tier 2.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • zogarthzogarth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My biggest problem is without a doubt the horrible business model.