test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tarmalune Trade bars - you must be joking

pwgupwgu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
first, can you only get trade bars from lockboxes?

second, if the first is true. then for $1.25 if you don't get what you want for a mount or item you want from the lockbox you might be able to buy it for bars... but since the box i opened only came with 4 bars and the cheapest thing from the merchant is 500 bars. that'd mean i'd have to spend $156.25 just to get enough bars to buy a non consumable item....

so these trade bars they claim are so **** valuable are... worthless?

another great example is if you want that Mount currently in the box. it costs 2,500 trade bars... or $781.25... thats if you never get a box that opens to the mount...

so maybe the conclusion here is that Lockboxes are a ****ing joke,

the more i look the more PWE / cryptic is just disgusting with this whole cash shop.

P.S

Another interesting thing about the lockboxes to trade bars, is you can in fact use trade bars to buy weapons... weapons that have better stats then the equivalent AH items of the same lvl...
So... PWE / Cryptic are selling players POWER p2w items... they're just doing it in a round about way, for the 1%ers.
Post edited by pwgu on

Comments

• Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    most of the time you get more than 10, or 10, and very rarely you get less than 10 in a box. Someone has reported getting as many as 40 in a box.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    pwgu wrote: »
    first, can you only get trade bars from lockboxes?

second, if the first is true. then for $1.25 if you don't get what you want for a mount or item you want from the lockbox you might be able to buy it for bars... but since the box i opened only came with 4 bars and the cheapest thing from the merchant is 500 bars. that'd mean i'd have to spend $156.25 just to get enough bars to buy a non consumable item....

so these trade bars they claim are so **** valuable are... worthless?

another great example is if you want that Mount currently in the box. it costs 2,500 trade bars... or $781.25... thats if you never get a box that opens to the mount...

so maybe the conclusion here is that Lockboxes are a ****ing joke,

the more i look the more PWE / cryptic is just disgusting with this whole cash shop.

P.S

Another interesting thing about the lockboxes to trade bars, is you can in fact use trade bars to buy weapons... weapons that have better stats then the equivalent AH items of the same lvl...
    So... PWE / Cryptic are selling players POWER p2w items... they're just doing it in a round about way, for the 1%ers.

I've gotten 20 bars from one box a couple time now, if you average it out over time it come to about 10 per box ( you know, like it says on the tooltip )

also the "leet" weapons are not the best in game atm. . .heck even the PvP weapons are better. . .

Also the mount you can get from bars is not the same as the one that comes in the box. . . .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    even at 40 bars per box you're spending 78.13 to get the mount.

on the flip side you've now just confirmed that it's cheaper to buy weapons and gear for cash.
  • Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013

on the flip side you've now just confirmed that it's cheaper to buy weapons and gear for cash.

Step one: acquire enchanted keys.

Step two: open boxes and hope the rng gods favor you with a mount.

step three: sell everything you get in the boxes on the AH for AD to get even more keys.

step four: repeat steps one through three.

step five: have enough trade bars to acquire super rare mount.

total cost $0 ( I used the AD from my founders pack get the initial keys ) ( I'm also sitting on 20 million AD )
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No you're not you are also getting enchants blue quality items, idols that give AD, dye packs, wards for your companions.....see what you have here is a straw man argument.

But keep trying...these Oh cryptic is evil threads are hilarious.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »

step three: sell everything you get in the boxes on the AH for AD to get even more keys.

total cost $0 ( I used the AD from my founders pack get the initial keys ) ( I'm also sitting on 20 million AD )

Hmm, got a screenshot ? :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mrvuk wrote: »
    Hmm, got a screenshot ? :cool:

At work. . .
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif

thanks, your approval validates my very existence. . .
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No you're not you are also getting enchants blue quality items, idols that give AD, dye packs, wards for your companions.....see what you have here is a straw man argument.

I think its more that some people are able to farm millions of AD and some arent as savvy at it and find it difficult to even get a million AD. Personally i understand how you people do it, i've done it in other mmo's before! HOWEVER that said... alot of selling AD items on the AH relies heavily on luck of the draw, winning roles, or ninjaing legit items from players. I dont know about the rest of you but i just cant bring myself to do that. Can only farm 24k AD from quests since they only award the rough AD. So this leaves... finding a set group of friends or guildies, and farming hard modes that you already have the gear for.

So i get how its done, but i'm one of those guys that has issue with relying on random RNG to foot the bill.... and i refuse to ninja gear from other players. I dont have a set group of friends or a guild i run with all the time...so basically this whole spend 0 AD arguement stems from having an orginized hardcore pve guild, where you can farm end game content and sell the stuff nobody else needs.

Once more... PWE's market is bad... but with right guild or group set up can actually never pay a dime of zen... but i hate to break it to you. A majority of players arent going to do that, what they WILL do is /need on every epic that drops in hopes they can sell it for AD.
  • Options
    ohrlynetohrlynet Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You greedy person !! Are you not happy with your mount?

Do you rage at your local lamborghini dealer because his cars are way more expensive then your cheap car (if you even have one?)

Do you HAVE to buy keys & open these boxes?

Those bars are a little extra you get in the boxes, at least you should be happy they are in there.
  • Options
    jcfisher3rdjcfisher3rd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Total cost $60 you mean also probably not even reproducible now since all the $200 people that flooded the market with billions of diamonds already blew all the money.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think its more that some people are able to farm millions of AD and some arent as savvy at it and find it difficult to even get a million AD. Personally i understand how you people do it, i've done it in other mmo's before! HOWEVER that said... alot of selling AD items on the AH relies heavily on luck of the draw, winning roles, or ninjaing legit items from players. I dont know about the rest of you but i just cant bring myself to do that. Can only farm 24k AD from quests since they only award the rough AD. So this leaves... finding a set group of friends or guildies, and farming hard modes that you already have the gear for.

So i get how its done, but i'm one of those guys that has issue with relying on random RNG to foot the bill.... and i refuse to ninja gear from other players. I dont have a set group of friends or a guild i run with all the time...so basically this whole spend 0 AD arguement stems from having an orginized hardcore pve guild, where you can farm end game content and sell the stuff nobody else needs.

Once more... PWE's market is bad... but with right guild or group set up can actually never pay a dime of zen... but i hate to break it to you. A majority of players arent going to do that, what they WILL do is /need on every epic that drops in hopes they can sell it for AD.

being able to need on everything is fine, if it wasn't Cryptic wouldn't have made it that way.

Cryptic ( and all f2p game developers ) is counting on the average player having to spend cash at some point. THE GAME IS DESIGNED THAT WAY.

It is Cryptic's job to simply make the product enjoyable enough to keep the majority of paying people playing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Total cost $60 you mean also probably not even reproducible now since all the $200 people blew their 2 million diamonds already.

nope $0.

As I now have nearly 33 times my starting AD. . .

the price of keys has fallen too. . . from 120k to around 65K ( late last night AH prices on Dragon )
  • Options
    lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep. A lot of people forget that you can purchase Zen with Astral Diamonds.

Also, these rare mounts that exist for 2500 trade bars, I don't think anybody expects anyone to have one of these things from Day 1. These mounts are meant to be purchased after a long period of time invested in the game. They're not meant as instant gratification, more like a goal.

A more appropriate formula might look like this:

$1.25 per lockbox
    10 trade bars per lockbox (avg)
    2500 bars for the mount / 10 bars per box = 250 lockboxes
    12 lockboxes per month = $15 investment per month
    250 lockboxes / 12 lockboxes per month = 21 months
    21 months * $15 = $315 over almost two years.

Now, $315 sounds like a lot, but that's virtually nothing over the course of two years.

Here's the thing. It is not expected that you purchase the lockboxes *for the trade bars*. The trade bars are a niftly little bonus on top of the other items you get from the lockbox. The mount is your eventual reward for unlocking a lot of lockboxes. It's *meant* to be rare. It's *meant* to be hard to get. It's *meant* to require a significant investment of time, effort, and Zen or Astral Diamonds or, ideally, a combination of both.

If you're looking at that mount and thinking to yourself, "If I can't have that right now I'm quitting," then you're not looking at it right.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

i don't think you know what a straw man argument is....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i don't think you know what a straw man argument is....

A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally, is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet inequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position. This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues.
  • Options
    kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've gotten 20 bars from one box a couple time now, if you average it out over time it come to about 10 per box ( you know, like it says on the tooltip )

also the "leet" weapons are not the best in game atm. . .heck even the PvP weapons are better. . .

Also the mount you can get from bars is not the same as the one that comes in the box. . . .

Whats the difference in the box mount compared to the bar mount? I thought they are the same.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whats the difference in the box mount compared to the bar mount? I thought they are the same.

How they look.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013

mechanically they are the same (+3, heavy armor ) its just a different color
  • Options
    kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How they look.

Can you be a bit more specific? Do you know of a link anywhere to compare them or such? This was the first i had heard about them being different.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's the thing..... the trade bars are a bonus.

Your average random-loot-box game - you open the box, and a random loot pops out. Most likely the common <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that you don't want. (Let's say.... Leadership Profession box.) And that's it.

Cryptic boxes include the trade bars (or Lobi Crystals in STO). Which means that, even if you have terrible luck and never get that Cool Rare Drop from the box... you're still saving up for other additional prizes. So it's an extra bonus, to help you.

Not "omg, how dare they charge us $1.25 for ten trade bars!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Can you be a bit more specific? Do you know of a link anywhere to compare them or such? This was the first i had heard about them being different.

I'm not up on the difference in look but the box drops the "Heavy Inferno Nightmare" and the Tbar vender sells the "Heavy Twilight Nightmare".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thatsmrbunnythatsmrbunny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    Heavy twilght nightmare has blue fire, not yellow/orange
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally, is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet inequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position. This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues.

glad you looked it up.
  • Options
    vilocviloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    I got 71 trade bars out of one of my boxes, 10 is the average but you can get really lucky or really unlucky
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Cryptic boxes include the trade bars (or Lobi Crystals in STO). Which means that, even if you have terrible luck and never get that Cool Rare Drop from the box... you're still saving up for other additional prizes. So it's an extra bonus, to help you.

This right here. It's so you will always get "something" from opening them. The "gear" is average at cap at best, but perhaps you don't want anything else in the shop, you can get that. Heck, you can get better weapons from the Unicorn Seal vendor, run less than ten Epic Cloak Tower runs, there you go. (i forget the cost of them, but i think it was 80 seals, and at ten or more seals on average a run, easy)

There is nothing even remotely needed in the bar shop, it's all really fluff. Heck, i've had terrible luck with the boxes, and had enough to get the full jester's set. OMG i paid to win!
  • Options
    xerouxerou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You...you're bad at math aren't you?
    Total cost $60, which you bought the founder's pack with, otherwise you'd not have the AD from your pack to jumpstart the process.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xerou wrote: »
    You...you're bad at math aren't you?
    Total cost $60, which you bought the founder's pack with, otherwise you'd not have the AD from your pack to jumpstart the process.

Not necessarily. Unless timm4444 states that they bought the Founder's pack, then it is possible that someone gave the Founder's Pack to them or they won the Founder's Pack from one of the Trivia contests. It is possible to get the Founder's Pack for free.
  • Options
    sleibnersleibner Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nice gping u say u got it for 0 doller, yet u still say u used ad from youre founders pack, and as far as i know plz tell me how much dos the founders pack cost to buy, getting my meening