test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about performance

fresh51fresh51 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
Guys, I'm planning to get a Toshiba U940-B755, its an ultrabook but with a decent configuration.

UP940-B755 Specs

I just need someone with computer experience and what not, and tell me that this ultrabook can handle this game smoothly. This ultrabook's specs can be found in the link above.
Post edited by fresh51 on

Comments

• drakin8564drakin8564 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is hard to say. It depends on alot of things whether it will run the game smoothly or not. I have no doubt it will load the game and run but depending on the how the game is coded it may be choppy.

The games minimum requirement is a 2.0 dual core. This has a 1.8 dual core, however it is hyper threaded. Meaning it has more power than a standard dual core and should function as a quad core. Most games are not coded to take advantage of hyper threading so you may run into issues there. The systems memory is more than adequate and the fact that it has a ssd should help as well. The video card should be good enough. I found another site with specs on the card and it says that the video ram is not shared. However some mobile video cards have driver issues or just issues in general with some games.

I can't tell you for certain one way or another but above is what I know about it and Ill let you decide if you want the system or not from that or wait for other opinions, up to you. It is far more common to have a compatibility issue with gaming from a laptop than a desktop. I have compatibility issues from the ATI card in my laptop.

In conclusion:
    If you want it for gaming, get a desktop. As far as a laptop, if it either has a lower speed hyper threaded cpu or a "mobile" branded video card you are taking a gamble. IMO the newer AMD APUs are about as good for gaming as laptops get on a budget but gaming on a laptop is still just not as good. lol

(Please dont turn this into a fan boy thread. Yes I prefer AMD/ATI, however both make good cards.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fresh51fresh51 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I appreciate the effort you put into your reply. And your totally right. But the thing is, I'm not really getting that for gaming, just for school/business work. But all I want to know if is that laptop can run the game in lets say Mid-High Settings, and getting 40-60FPS.

You think it can?
    edited May 2013
    Theoretically it should run it. I dont know if you will get that high of fps out of it since some of the hardware is boarderline on requirements. And remember like I said my laptop blew the requirements of other games I play out of the water yet do to mobile video car incompatibilities it ran them so choppy i couldnt tolerate it.

For business/school work that system should be great. But like I said, for gaming, you are taking a bit of a gamble. If you could find the exact same system with a slightly higher cpu clock speed I would say go for it especially since the video memory is not shared. But when the clock speed is lower than the posted required speed, sometimes it will be ok and sometimes it will fall on its face.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Basically with that cpu you would be hoping that the chips turbo boost could make up for its clock speed being slightly too low
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    As for my opinion on overall buying a new computer I would not spend money on something now that is not a quad core or better. Especially in a laptop since it would be such a pain to upgrade the cpu and sometimes cant upgrade at all. A quad core for the little bit extra it is will last much longer before you are out looking for a new system again, assuming you take care of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ondertr35ondertr35 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hi this is a test