test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NW makes me sad

khevorkhevor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I started out enjoying myself. The mechanics are pretty much the same as STO so it was relatively easy to get a feel for the UI, zen shop, etc. The combat is a tad more twitchy than I'm used to (and that's led to more than a couple of deaths LOL) but I was okay with it.

Then I hit level 20. I wanted to get a mount, you see. I was looking forward to it. I gained two more levels while thinking about whether or not I wanted to buy one from the shop ($30 or $40 worth of Zen - which I can live with) or get one from AH (~50,000 - 10,000,000 AD) or gain some gold and buy one at the Stall for ~5 gold. Most of the mounts available didn't really interest me but then I saw one that I fell in love with... but...

The mount I wanted is rather rare, you see. You can only buy it with T bars... 2500 of them. That would require me to buy over 250 keys to open over 250 Nightmare boxes to gather enough T bars. A mount for $40, like I said, I could live with... but *this* particular mount would cost well over $300 to get (up to 10 T bars per lockbox with no guarantee you'll get 10). My jaw hit the floor. Even if I *wanted* to spend that kind of money on a game, I simply couldn't do it and for that price, no one in their right mind would sell such a creature in the AH.

I attempted to continue playing after this horrific revelation, but found that my interest in the game has fallen. You might think it silly that this one thing could have such an effect but when you find something you really want for your character only to discover there is no feasible way you could ever get it, it colours your view markedly.

There are a lot of things I can overlook, after all, it is still in beta and every MMO in existence is in a state of perpetual change (read:never finished), but I'm not sure I can be the proverbial donkey chasing the carrot on a stick in this case.

With my enjoyment curtailed, I think I'll put this game on a shelf and come back to it later. I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced similar to this.
Post edited by khevor on

Comments

• sefeniasefenia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    A-a-a mount ...?
    go outside, please.
    I beg of you.
    vn7W95H.png
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's a thought, go to the auction house, they are on there usually.
  • raccoonpawsraccoonpaws Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2013
    Ignore those mouthbreathers OPs, this game has a ridiculously biased marketing scheme. I'm ditching this game for the real deal
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ah, well, that mount is something you can work toward to. The Twilight Nightmare is really very pretty. It will take you time to get it, if you really do want it, and you steadily exchange ADs for Zen and then buy keys. Each box has 10 bars, and who knows, you may luck out and get the regular nightmare (and sell it for ADs). Making enough ADs for 125 Zen is very do-able, so you can even do this in small steps. Personally, I would enjoy a mini game like that.

As for mounts, ah well, WoW had several that I really wanted and never could get. You either needed insane luck or ... well, insane luck. For some, you could have bought a spot in a raid group, but I never ended up with that brightly colored gryphon (Ashes of Alkir, I think it was called). And I had tried for one for literally years. :p
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there anything functionally better about those mounts (compared to others of the same level)? Im under the impression it is just eye candy.
  • khevorkhevor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @imivo I tried doing that in STO and ended up getting impatient and buying Zen. LOL. But you can see my own frustation given your own experiences. :)

@mbomberdavid The regular horses are 40% speed increase... um, the Zen mounts are 110% speed increase... not sure about the nightmare mounts, offhand.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So let me see. ... Your complaint is that you can't buy the rarest and hardest to get mount in the game the minute you hit level 20?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sorry...can't relate. I think some of their prices are way too high for things but overall it doesn't directly effect my gameplay so can't say I care.

I'm perfectly happy with my 5g mount.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    Sorry...can't relate. I think some of their prices are way too high for things but overall it doesn't directly effect my gameplay so can't say I care.

I'm perfectly happy with my 5g mount.

Yeah I know you can buy a perfectly fine mount for 5 gold at level 20. But apparently the OP's entire happiness with the game revolves around having the rarest and hardest to get mount the moment he turned level 20. I just just can't relate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    khevor wrote: »
    The mount I wanted is rather rare, you see. You can only buy it with T bars... 2500 of them. That would require me to buy over 250 keys to open over 250 Nightmare boxes to gather enough T bars. A mount for $40, like I said, I could live with... but *this* particular mount would cost well over $300 to get (up to 10 T bars per lockbox with no guarantee you'll get 10). My jaw hit the floor. Even if I *wanted* to spend that kind of money on a game, I simply couldn't do it and for that price, no one in their right mind would sell such a creature in the AH.

I attempted to continue playing after this horrific revelation, but found that my interest in the game has fallen. You might think it silly that this one thing could have such an effect but when you find something you really want for your character only to discover there is no feasible way you could ever get it, it colours your view markedly.

Being as this is open beta many things will change over time. Even the prices for things should be looked at as beta, not seen as set in stone. There is no guarantee the prices will be revised down but the feedback from many players suggests it should, so they might take that into consideration.

I would like a cat, but at the moment they are wildly expensive, so I'm not getting one right now. However, there are many pets other than cats, so I will make do with what I can until I feel I can afford it.

Perhaps, until circumstances change for the mount you do want, you can make do with a mount you can afford, and then see if you can figure out a way to get the mount you do want without spending so much cash.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there anything functionally better about those mounts (compared to others of the same level)? Im under the impression it is just eye candy.
    I know some mounts move faster than others. I don't know if there are any with other benefits. Not being knocked off as easily could be a potential benefit, but I don't know of any that have that.
    edited May 2013
    @mbomberdavid The regular horses are 40% speed increase... um, the Zen mounts are 110% speed increase... not sure about the nightmare mounts, offhand.

so likely no better than my spider. thanks. for what it is worth, i do think the T-Bar version is nicer to look at than the lock box version. I can understand wanting to get lockbox ships in STO because you get a whole different gaming experience but if the horse only looks different is is far to pricey for me. If the lock box version had a magic saddle and the T-Bar version had a magic bridle when combined formed a stat boosting set then maybe i could see why people would want to spend large amounts of real life money on it but just to look neat is not enough to make me spend that amount of real life cash. Still, if i ever see anyone in the game riding that t-bar horse i will be grateful they have supported the game.
    edited May 2013
    LOL. While it would be nice and convenient to get it at level 20, that's unrealistic in any sense. No, actually my complaint is more geared at the overall cost (and related accessibility) of it. I understand wanting to have ultra rare items in the game and I have no issue with that. The way it is currently, however, makes it virtually unattainable (save for those with money to burn and those with extraordinary patience).
    edited May 2013
    Ah so it is more a case of you worry that the t-bar mount isn't attainable by all but maybe a tiny group? Hmm, ok, I can see that concern though I didn't get that from your original post.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    @ terradraconis

Hmmm, I'll add a bit of an addendum here then:

If the mount was limited to say level 60 (is that the cap, or is it 50? Either way), and you had to do a series of rare quests in order to get it, I'd be happy with that. That is something I can focus on - a purpose to keep playing (well, one, at any rate). But yes, it is like you said.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can get more than 10 bars from every box, I've gotten up to 40 bars from 1 box once, you often get more than 10 bars.. But yeah, crying about a mount is lame, not every mount should be easly obtainable. Some mounts needs to be rare it's as simple as that.
    edited May 2013
    Surely the price must be some type of beta test to see if anyone will buy it at that price? If it adds no functionality few players will will choose that mount. Of course, if it does not add any functionality over similar quality/level mounts then is another argument against this game being pay to win. I wonder what will be in that store in 6-12 months. The Lobi store has progressed quite nicely in STO.
    @khevor "those with money to burn and those with extraordinary patience" can add to the game community in their own ways so i do not think this is a bad policy in theory...
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If the mount was limited to say level 60 (is that the cap, or is it 50? Either way), and you had to do a series of rare quests in order to get the it, I'd be happy with that. That is something I can focus on - a purpose to keep playing (well, one, at any rate). But yes, it is like you said.

You can focus on farming Astral Diamonds and exchange them for 125 Zen (about 55k AD right now), get a key, and open a box for 10 bars. This gives you a definie purpose in the game, and wish I envy you for (because I'd just spend the cash if I really wanted it, which I think is a suboptimal approach).

If the mount could be obtained by a "very rare" quest (what would make it rare and why do you think you would be able to get it?), everyone in the game would have it. Besides being pretty, part of its attraction is that only see very few of them.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited May 2013
    I haven't looked but since T-Bars are physical items like seals and other special currency can you trade them on the Auction House for AD? If so you could probably buy enough T-Bars through the AH. But I'm not certain about that one. ::ponder::

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If there is once complaint I have about ALL PW games it is the chronic over-pricing of "digital goods".

I have played STO, CO and NW, and all of them have a preponderance of over priced goods and services, and even though they have the relevant In Game Currency to Zen mechanism it is still ludicrously over priced.

Now, that said, this seems to be the current trend for F2P MMO, SWTOR has just about the worst F2P and most overpriced goods and services imaginable.

If there was one piece of advise I would give the PW (and indeed SWTOR) it would be go and see how Turbine does F2P in LOTRO; because comparing your F2P Model to the LOTRO F2P Model, you guys are still about 80% behind the curve.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    You can focus on farming Astral Diamonds and exchange them for 125 Zen (about 55k AD right now), get a key, and open a box for 10 bars. This gives you a definie purpose in the game, and wish I envy you for (because I'd just spend the cash if I really wanted it, which I think is a suboptimal approach).

If the mount could be obtained by a "very rare" quest (what would make it rare and why do you think you would be able to get it?), everyone in the game would have it. Besides being pretty, part of its attraction is that only see very few of them.

...and pending on how much of a timesink and difficult it was others would flip their lid over it. Not sure it would even be worth it for them. VG tried something like that and it was a disaster becaause people complained about the quest chain left and right. Although to be fair it was buggy as hell in places.
    edited May 2013
    If there is once complaint I have about ALL PW games it is the chronic over-pricing of "digital goods".

I have played STO, CO and NW, and all of them have a preponderance of over priced goods and services, and even though they have the relevant In Game Currency to Zen mechanism it is still ludicrously over priced.

Now, that said, this seems to be the current trend for F2P MMO, SWTOR has just about the worst F2P and most overpriced goods and services imaginable.

If there was one piece of advise I would give the PW (and indeed SWTOR) it would be go and see how Turbine does F2P in LOTRO; because comparing your F2P Model to the LOTRO F2P Model, you guys are still about 80% behind the curve.

All The Best

Eh Turbine is one of the better f2p designs out there but NW does best them in some areas.
    edited May 2013
    @fotzik I've opened about half a dozen or so lockboxes and never got more than 10 and even only 6 once. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

@imivo I just don't have the patience to do the kind of regular farming that you're alluding to. I've met some people that seem to have unending patience for it, but sadly, I'm not one of them. lol

@terradraconis I don't think they are in AH although, admittedly, I never actually looked. I'm not certain any of the in-game currencies can be put in AH but that's just a guess on my part.

@redneckronin That seems to be the most common of current issues I've read about thus far and I sincerely hope it's something that does get addressed at some point if it's true.
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    That mount is on the AH for $30 worth of AD (~1.5mil). So... ya.

You are very unlikely to ever buy it for bars because that's just a failsafe for people with ridiculously bad luck. You should get the mount directly from a box long before you get that many bars. I haven't heard of too many people opening more than 20-30 boxes to get their mount, the current AH price supports those odds.
    edited May 2013
    @astazia No, you're thinking of the Nightmare mount. That's not the one I'm referring to. I'm referring to the Twilight Nightmare Mount. It doesn't come from a lockbox. It can only be purchased with 2500 T bars.
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Ya my bad, I didn't realize there was a heavy twilight and heavy inferno. The Heavy Twilight mounts are on the AH for $80 (~4mil). Not quite as "cheap" but nowhere near $300.
    edited May 2013
    *blink* You mean some crazy... err... enterprising person put a Twilight in AH?! I did look for one there but all I saw were regular Nightmares. I'll have to look (tomorrow, though or the next day depending on my time constraints). Of course, I don't have 4 mil AD - only about 80k AD atm. But it would give me something to work toward.
    edited May 2013
    There are 4 on the AH right now on the dragon shard. 4mil is the cheapest one, they went up as high as 5mil IIRC.

Edit: It's not so crazy. They probably got several Heavy Nightmares and a bunch of phoenixes while getting that many bars, so they probably sold those as well and are making quite a bit of profit.
    edited May 2013
    @astazia That would explain it. I'm not on the dragon shard. I'm on the mindflayer one. Ah well. Here's to hoping ;) ty though.

@Mod You can probably close this thread too as it's unlikely to go any further than it already has. :)

Btw, a "rare quest" that I mentioned a page ago or so would be a quest that only has a chance of appearing after certain criteria has been met. Just a thought.
  • drangardrangar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    right.....