Options

The Critical Cleric (Deistik's build)

Comments

• Options
    acykacyk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This build is for pve or pvp?
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, the second sentence talks about dungeons, I'm guessing PvE :p
  • Options
    stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    I am leveling a cleric because of this spec.

Level 40 and having no trouble. Can't wait to run Epics.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
  • Options
    montiblancmontiblanc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    trasid wrote: »
    I used my token, at around level 35. My build is a lot better than when I started, that's for sure, I am now level 41. However, I feel as though with the few fantastic guides we have at the moment, all mostly centred around healing and group play (most solo play is pretty straight forward), I still feel uncomfortable with any build I tend to choose and my survivability in a group setting. I am not sure if the threat bug has anything to do with it...?

I feel as though each of the stickied builds vary so much, some say one thing is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, whilst the other says you can't live without it. I am not sure which way to go, and at $6 per respec, I'll be broke in no time!

same thing with me except I end up remaking character....hoping this is the last remake as im gonna wait for the builds to settle down a bit along with figuring out which skills/feats even work properly
  • Options
    armlpeglegarmlpegleg Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey you all

I rerolled my lvl29 cleric to go this build, or atleast a variant of this.

Im currently lvl39 and im making a few changes to the feats to become quite the tank aswell, mainly using foresight and speccing into the feats for it, nets me a whooping 11% flat dmg reduction, which is insane if you ask me.

I have no plan to succumb to the Soothe passive as its currently seems completly broken so might aswell plan to tank 40% of everything instead, and rely on my precious CW to cc the things at me.

Im feeling really tanky at the moment and ive completed the Mad dragon several times in PUGS (Yes, you read that correctly, in pugs.)
    And this is with me running in a huge circle for about 10minutes with a insane amout of adds on me, without dying.

I havent really decided yet what im gonna skipp out of due to speccing into the increased dmg reduction on foresight, but for one, i think the 4th pip of divinity is a complete waste, never are you capped, never are you running out of divinity. It seems completly wasted. You're throttled by your cooldowns anyway.

Granted, brand of the sun do build quite a amout of Divinity, granted you can keep it up on several mobs at the same time that is.

Well just my 2cent on the matter, im sure i'll reconsider later on, perhaps.

My vision is tanking whole dungeons while keeping the grp alive.

Biggest flaw in the clerics in this game? Where's the god **** SHIELD - Clerics gotta have a shield, its no cleric without a shield!
    This is driving me crazy, i want my Kiteshield ;(

Nice to meet you all!

/Armleg
  • Options
    t3hc0rr0d3rt3hc0rr0d3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why Healing Action has only 3 points? The tooltip is bugged, not the feat itself (as you can see each class has a 5 points feat that grants more AP gain), and I too think that 3 points in CLeans are a bit overkill. I'm curious to see your new powers array. Great guide, anyway. ;)
  • Options
    smacktrick5smacktrick5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How often would you say things like healer's lore and foresight are actually needed? I'm liking your power setup overall, but as I personally like to pvp alot I think another maxed daily (for those eventual 1v1 situations) as an alternative to hallowed ground would be pretty good idea, and thus I'd like to snatch the required points for it. With that being said, would you agree that hammer of faith (with 3 points) is propably the strongest daily in terms of damage for those situations where you might need that extra nuke to finish someone off?
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hammer or Flames daily are definitely the most damage. I didn't max out any other dailies because I'm pretty much all about PvE, and HG is just too much win to not cast it. Maybe I can get my AP regen high enough to use another daily in between HGs :p
  • Options
    stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    Almost 60 and still loving the crit cleric.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why Healing Action has only 3 points? The tooltip is bugged, not the feat itself (as you can see each class has a 5 points feat that grants more AP gain

I wud also like to figure out what other feats r bugged or not showing proper tooltips before I spend any points. Figuring this one out to start with wud be nice

also heard that Divine Fortune is worthless coz it does not work with any healing powers other than Healing Word, would like some talk on this
  • Options
    cmnewlandcmnewland Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Righteousness 40% self debuff is simply there because of PVP. Like any other mmo healers have to have debuffs in pvp or they are invincible and so is anyone they are healing. take wow for instance...all healing is reduced by 30% and soon to be 45%for everyone in any pvp zone. What they need to do is implement something similar on here and have the debuff only apply in pvp so it would make pve abit more manageable without having to spam potions on cooldown.
  • Options
    drekorsilverfangdrekorsilverfang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cmnewland wrote: »
    The Righteousness 40% self debuff is simply there because of PVP. Like any other mmo healers have to have debuffs in pvp or they are invincible and so is anyone they are healing. take wow for instance...all healing is reduced by 30% and soon to be 45%for everyone in any pvp zone. What they need to do is implement something similar on here and have the debuff only apply in pvp so it would make pve abit more manageable without having to spam potions on cooldown.
    It also prevents "cleric tanking"... although we still sort of manage to do it.
  • Options
    surged28surged28 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It also prevents "cleric tanking"... although we still sort of manage to do it.

The funny part is we are forced to tank most times because of how out of control our healing threat is even with max rank soothe.
  • Options
    kennykinzzkennykinzz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does it have to be a human Cleric for this build to work? Or would any class work?
  • Options
    redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    40% healing reduction doesn't make any sense other than using worthless gold for pots.

Is there an official response on this for any other reason? Can't be pvp or pve if they did it because people complained about clerics not using pots. Gold is practically worthless. Pots are very ease to afford.
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kennykinzz wrote: »
    Does it have to be a human Cleric for this build to work? Or would any class work?

Any race works, pretty sure the class has to be cleric though :p

But honestly, you'd just lose out on the extra 3 feats, and possibly the STR.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So, I've been testing Linked Spirit (by having a buddy jump off of cliffs lol), and it seems to only proc on Soothing Light. I'll have to test out Astral Seal and FF later, but Sunburst, HW, nor AS procced it, not once. Soothing Light procced it every time.

Seeing as how I rarely if ever use Soothing Light, starting to lean towards Benefit of Foresight :p
  • Options
    t3hc0rr0d3rt3hc0rr0d3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What kind of set of Powers are you using right now? I read you changed it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Last dungeon I did, I was using FF, Sunburst, and AS. Holy Fervor and Foresight for passives. Soothe is starting to seem more and more "meh" when I have to tank so many adds, anyway.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    So, I've been testing Linked Spirit (by having a buddy jump off of cliffs lol), and it seems to only proc on Soothing Light. I'll have to test out Astral Seal and FF later, but Sunburst, HW, nor AS procced it, not once. Soothing Light procced it every time.

Seeing as how I rarely if ever use Soothing Light, starting to lean towards Benefit of Foresight :p

If you have to choose between Linked Spirit and Benefit of Foresight for you spec then BoF is a no brainer imho. Linked Spirit, when it goes off, suffers from the diminishing returns problem. If your allies already have ~3,000+ of a stat then even 150 (5% of 3,000) isn't likely to make any difference on crit, recovery, defense, deflect, armor pen, or life steal.

That aside, I've done some testing on Linked Spirit and here's the rules for when it procs, as far as I can tell.

1) 2+ allies must be healed by the ability. This means health must be restored, overhealing won't count. (Soothing Light is the exception, not the rule)

2) It will only proc on allies who are healed. If 3/5 actually have health restored but 2/5 are just overhealed then only the 3/5 will get linked spirit.

3) It will not proc off Astral Seal or Repurpose Soul. (99% sure of this)

4) It will only proc on the initial cast of a spell. E.g. FF, HW, and AS must heal 2+ allies with the FIRST tick on casting. Anyone entering the radius of FF or AS, or actually being healed, after the first tick will not receive Linked Spirit.

5) It will proc off HW, FF, AS, BoH, and SB according to the above rules. Soothing Light just always applies it.

I could be mistaken or missing something but those are basically the rules of LS as I've learned them. Though every so often something strange seems to happen. Obviously I encourage you to test it yourself, but hopefully that helps you test more efficiently. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Appreciate it :)

And honestly I ran a 21 Faithful path in the beginning because I liked to build up 4 pips before any big fight, but I've been messing with a 2/20/9 build and I'm liking it a lot. Not really missing the 4th pip at all in the midst of battle. I figure you're right about the 2/5 Rising Hope being the most points you'd ever need to put into it for near 100% uptime.

With our GFs +AP gain buff up, I was at 96% AP gain, and sunburst was just insane for HG casting.

Need to a little more testing/tweaking and I'll adjust my post.
  • Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep...I built the 2/20/9 and haven't had to use my free respec yet. No 4th Pip and no Linked Spirit.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    voltaic72voltaic72 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is this a good build for soloing and doing foundry quests?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Daunting Light, Sunburst, and Forgemasters (Flamestrike daily) will let you solo any solo content there is.
  • Options
    aceeastonaceeaston Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off I'd like to thank you for this guide. Once I hit 50 it became very clear that this build is effective, and I've had a lot of success using it thus far.

I just hit 60 today. I wanted to ask you, what you recommend I do in order to start running epic dungeons?

I assume I can't jump right into it, I've heard some people say get PvP gear first, but I wanted your opinion. A brief step-by-step to obtaining the best gear (PvE-wise) would be much obliged.
  • Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You need a minimum GS of 5700 to run the first few dungeons. So with all greens I was sitting at 5300 when i hit 60. Get a few blues or a purple from PvP vendor(Symbol would be best for damage/heals) to get over that and you're good to go.

Unspecified hooked me up with some gears - the purple pvp Symbol plus tossed me a blue(Helm) and purple(Icon) from guild bank and that shot me up to 6400ish GS which opened up about 5 Epic Dungeons for me to farm for T1 purple gear. No drops yet but i'm able to gate into the instances.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I was 60 on Saturday the 27th, so I actually ran a few of the non epic dungeons to get some blues. Really it's just getting over the hump of the first GS. PvP would work fine, but I'm a dungeon guy :p
  • Options
    viscacha1viscacha1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aw I was following this build as I was leveling my cleric and just noticed your feats changed so now mine are all messed up xD I guess it's my own fault for following an end game build while leveling. Also while I'm here, what powers are best for soloing/questing? I'm only level 20-ish cleric so still learning :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you're referring to the healing action points.... that skill is so very hard to test. What constitutes as a "healing" spell? One that does just healing? And how are we supposed to know whether it's 3% or 5% at max? And how exactly are we supposed to test it? Eh, I'm just ranting :p

I used ASeal and Lance all through leveling, Sunburst, Chains and Daunting until I got Forgemasters and then AS. Leveling you're trying for the most damage you can, while still having sufficient healing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    If you're referring to the healing action points.... that skill is so very hard to test. What constitutes as a "healing" spell? One that does just healing? And how are we supposed to know whether it's 3% or 5% at max? And how exactly are we supposed to test it? Eh, I'm just ranting :p

I used ASeal and Lance all through leveling, Sunburst, Chains and Daunting until I got Forgemasters and then AS. Leveling you're trying for the most damage you can, while still having sufficient healing.

with divine fortune only working with healing word it really does bring healing action into question