test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ExtinctioN style GWF ... Initiator leave them all bloody

Comments

• jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Quick question, my account is fairly new so I can post my own threads yet, and this seems like a good place to ask it. With The Half-Orc Racial of +2 STR +2 DEX factored in. Is a roll of 20 STR and 15 DEX, or a roll of 18 STR and 18 DEX better?
  • junkiesnationjunkiesnation Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just to add to some advice to those leveling a GWF with this build in mind. It's incredibly beneficial to put points in Sent/Destroyer first for the bleed and debuff on crit first. It adds a real decent amount of DPS in the first few levels in your 30s. It really gives you a boost in combat speed since the first 5 Paragon points are useless in the Instagator tree.

I'd suggest going at least 2/5 in each augment before heading down the primary path.
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    Quick question, my account is fairly new so I can post my own threads yet, and this seems like a good place to ask it. With The Half-Orc Racial of +2 STR +2 DEX factored in. Is a roll of 20 STR and 15 DEX, or a roll of 18 STR and 18 DEX better?

Hi Jmerithew, I have never crunched hard math numbers on a question like this. I did the second option and used 18s in both str and dex for my build.

Ill give you my reasoning though for what it's worth. The armour shred on crit is a big boost to all of your parties dps as it makes everyone hit harder so stacking that as quickly as possible is of great importance. Also stacking bleed is another damage source and that procs off crits as well. Not to mention the fact that a critical hit lands at +95% critical severity with the half orc racial bonus with this build as well. So there really is a lot being added with high power and high crit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hi Jmerithew, I have never crunched hard math numbers on a question like this. I did the second option and used 18s in both str and dex for my build.

Ill give you my reasoning though for what it's worth. The armour shred on crit is a big boost to all of your parties dps as it makes everyone hit harder so stacking that as quickly as possible is of great importance. Also stacking bleed is another damage source and that procs off crits as well. Not to mention the fact that a critical hit lands at +95% critical severity with the half orc racial bonus with this build as well. So there really is a lot being added with high power and high crit.
    Thank you, that's what I was leaning towards anyway. I don't really have any in game experience yet, but my reasoning was it was overall 1 extra point in valuable stats. 20 str and 15 dex is 35 points, where 2 18s is 36. And it seems like my best bet would be try to keep them even as I level
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just to add to some advice to those leveling a GWF with this build in mind. It's incredibly beneficial to put points in Sent/Destroyer first for the bleed and debuff on crit first. It adds a real decent amount of DPS in the first few levels in your 30s. It really gives you a boost in combat speed since the first 5 Paragon points are useless in the Instagator tree.

I'd suggest going at least 2/5 in each augment before heading down the primary path.

Great information Junkies, in the big original post I did - I added that the armour shred was the first 5 points I spent in paragon as well. I couldn't agree more with your suggestion and its great advice in my opinion.

I never did add the bleed damage in, but it being such a useful skill as well I think it could be a very good idea to get the bleed early while levelling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
    edited May 2013
    Gentleman, I have found the first piece of the 5 set piece Avatar of War and wow does this set look s e x y for this build. I will post a screenshot of what it is when I get some time but it is loaded out with exactly what this build wants:

2 pc set bonus - +450 critical strike
    4 pc set bonus - (from memory) each time you use an encounter you build 1 stack. At 3 stacks your power and recovery increase by 1350 for 4 seconds and refreshes each time you use an encounter ability. With proper rotation of encounters you could keep this stacked for quite a good amount of time. Man I can only imagine how fast your action points would refresh with that proc on and during unstoppable for the +25% action point gain.

Also 1350 additional power while the buff is on, hello capstone increasing it even further. So f'ing sick. Power, crit and recovery exactly what this build loves!

Thank you cryptic for this set haha!

Edit to add: the armour graphic for the chest piece looks boss as well!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
    edited May 2013
    n3st34 wrote: »
    hey men,

thank u for your great guide i was really sad that i read whining posts how bad is GWF but this guide is awesome and i realy enjoy my meatgrinder :) but there is my question is it possible that u record some video from your gameplay and upload it to somewhere?thanks

I've gotten this a few times now, a video request. I have family coming in this weekend for my brothers graduation but this may be a project for next week. The production is going to amateur for sure but I will see what I can do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • swkim110swkim110 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok I'm super no0bie at this or any other mmo, or I just dont get it, but how would the point allocations be distributed? Or do you just max the one that you're going to use and just put in points to whatever you want to fill the point spending quota?
  • stormshadow73stormshadow73 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    swkim110 wrote: »
    Ok I'm super no0bie at this or any other mmo, or I just dont get it, but how would the point allocations be distributed? Or do you just max the one that you're going to use and just put in points to whatever you want to fill the point spending quota?

Yeah, I'd really like to see how the power points are spent for this. Don't want to screw anything up while building this toon.
  • swkim110swkim110 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I actually just followed through the build and tried to lay out the points... I'm not exactly sure if this is correct but from what I can see I think it is. Please look it over and comment.

http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter-powers-feat-simulator.9/#jTBxRk1BEVMBdqYsolnQtAuK4rtTsVWjL38VFiE3
  • junkiesnationjunkiesnation Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hit level 35 and that whole demon area was super annoying. Combat is taking quite a bit of time now. Most likely it was my weapon that was crappy.
  • stormshadow73stormshadow73 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    swkim110 wrote: »
    So I actually just followed through the build and tried to lay out the points... I'm not exactly sure if this is correct but from what I can see I think it is. Please look it over and comment.

http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter-powers-feat-simulator.9/#jTBxRk1BEVMBdqYsolnQtAuK4rtTsVWjL38VFiE3

I still dont understand what powers to max and which to not take. Hopefully the OP can shed some light on this for me.
  • guts717guts717 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never completely understood these "Power>Crit>Recovery>Armour Pen". Well, I do and i don't... Are we suppose to stack power to a certain point then try to stack crit? Or are you saying pick the highest stat in that order?
    edited May 2013
    It's not that difficult:

Wicked Strike
    Weapon Master Strike

Destroyer
    Weapon Master

Slam

Not So Fast
    Indominable Battle Strike

The rest is up to you honestly and what you like to play with. Steel Blitz should have at least 2 in it. Steel Defense is decent. Restoring Strike is good as well. Punishing Charge/Daring Shout/Come and Get It are also very good to have as well. There are only a few skills that should be maxed, the rest is playstyle.
    edited May 2013
    guts717 wrote: »
    I never completely understood these "Power>Crit>Recovery>Armour Pen". Well, I do and i don't... Are we suppose to stack power to a certain point then try to stack crit? Or are you saying pick the highest stat in that order?

The beauty of the build is that it scales like crazy due to the capstone. So stack as much power as possible. When in doubt stack power.

Crit is important because there are procs based on crit.

There probably is a certain point where Recovery caps out based on gear choices. I'm no where near the end game so I have no way of testing.
  • guts717guts717 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you very much junkiesnation =D!
    edited May 2013
    Let me try to clear up some confusion on stat weighting and power selection:

First order of business stat weighting:

During levelling - power and crit

While levelling up you will probably wear a lot of green level items. When I was levelling up during pre-start from my hero pack there wasn't much on the ah and I just used the green gear I found. Most green gear has 2 stats on them. Wear gear that is power and crit focused. If you are buying blue gear at the ah while levelling the third stat I would grab is probably armour pen or recovery doesn't matter much while levelling.

End game - power, crit, recovery, armour pen

At end game you start having more control of your stat line as you can purchase items with seals obtained from epic dungeon delves or through the auction house. With purple gear you get more raw stats so you aren't stuck with just power and crit and can start stacking extra stats like recovery and armour pen. Recovery reduces cool downs and increases action point gain substantially as it gets stacked up and adds a lot to the build. Also recovery is found on your tier sets so you will get it as you gear up.

The main point you will see is that on end game gear it isn't an all or nothing situation where you grab an item that just has one stat on it, you will be selecting items that have multiple stats. It should be clear as you learn the system.

Second thing powers:

The main powers have been listed. I would max out any powers you are considering using. In the original post I outlined the main core of the powers and then suggested some others I have found situationally useful. Things like roar, battle fury, takedown etc as they can be useful for different situations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • grofhgrofh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not that difficult:

Wicked Strike
    Weapon Master Strike

Destroyer
    Weapon Master

Slam

Not So Fast
    Indominable Battle Strike

The rest is up to you honestly and what you like to play with. Steel Blitz should have at least 2 in it. Steel Defense is decent. Restoring Strike is good as well. Punishing Charge/Daring Shout/Come and Get It are also very good to have as well. There are only a few skills that should be maxed, the rest is playstyle.
    Isn't Steel Blitz better than Destroyer ?
    edited May 2013
    Until I know the exact percent in procs, I can't tell ya.
    edited May 2013
    grofh wrote: »
    Isn't Steel Blitz better than Destroyer ?

My feeling at this time is that steel blitz is better than destroyer. The extra attack from blitz can crit creating procs, as well as generating additional action points.

But ya the unknown and vague description of proc chance is not all that helpful in determining which is better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • thevolnationthevolnation Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I may have completely overlooked this, but what kind of enchantments are you using on your gear atm?
    edited May 2013
    I may have completely overlooked this, but what kind of enchantments are you using on your gear atm?

At this time I'm using greater plague fire and regular tenebrious enchants. I am not sure if the tenebrious or power enchants are optimal though?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • xeromus20xeromus20 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just hit 60 with something close to this, so i'll give my thoughts on the 1-60 progression..

Pre-30 you will feel weak, and for good reason, you are!.. You have to persevere though.. Think of these levels as the rainstorm, 30-50 as the sun beginning to shine, and 50-60 as the rainbow.

Things hurt, and because youre an off-tank you aren't designed to be a damage sponge (so you hit tab and become a wrecking ball :P) Unstoppable is your friend, it's like a stimulant.. Hit that button and the happiness flows. Not only do you gain increased attackspeed you take reduced damage, this is what allows you to pull packs and wreck them, or hold certain packs aggro in bossfights etc, it isn't something you should save for a rainy day either.. If it's avaliable, use it. It recharges so fast due to the nature of the playstyle that it should have close to a 100% uptime in fights regardless.

Once you begin getting deeper into instigator tree and get your combat advantage, the **** hits the fan, literally. This is when you begin topping dps charts (albeit not all the time, don't think hitting 50 turns you into a beast, because it doesn't quite yet) you provide a lot of team utility now.. CA for your team, shreds, bleeds, you can pull and wreck trash packs, switching a few skills around allows you to take on a more role-focused purpose too (such as roar+tanking, it almost fills your unstoppable bar on 1 cast)

And then you hit 60, which was a few hours ago for me. If your gearscore isnt 6k~ by now check out the market and grab a few cheap entry level blues (theyre usually like 500 ad a pop, which is worth the investment imo)

Once my friend hits 60 too it'll be time for epic progression for the two of us, but he (as a rogue) has even said it's impossible to keep up with the sheer AoE damage output of me now (all throughout our levelling he'd always top me in dungeon dps, on similar GS)

One question for you Extinction, what weapon would you reccomend using? i've seen quite a few around (using a Brimstone Mace currently, but that isn't endgame ofc)
    Paradigm - Instigator Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 13k GS
    Instigate and Eradicate
    Alek Silverkin - Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 11k GS
    How do you kill that which gets tankier the more you hit it?
  • bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What about Battle Fury as a third encounter... Does anyone know how much is the flat damage increase ?
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    What about Battle Fury as a third encounter... Does anyone know how much is the flat damage increase ?

I wish I knew as well, it's description is vague at best. I use battle fury for certain boss fights with tuns of running around, to refill my stamina meter. Don't use it often but that is really the only time I slot it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
    edited May 2013
    xeromus20 wrote: »
    Just hit 60 with something close to this, so i'll give my thoughts on the 1-60 progression..

Pre-30 you will feel weak, and for good reason, you are!.. You have to persevere though.. Think of these levels as the rainstorm, 30-50 as the sun beginning to shine, and 50-60 as the rainbow.

Things hurt, and because youre an off-tank you aren't designed to be a damage sponge (so you hit tab and become a wrecking ball :P) Unstoppable is your friend, it's like a stimulant.. Hit that button and the happiness flows. Not only do you gain increased attackspeed you take reduced damage, this is what allows you to pull packs and wreck them, or hold certain packs aggro in bossfights etc, it isn't something you should save for a rainy day either.. If it's avaliable, use it. It recharges so fast due to the nature of the playstyle that it should have close to a 100% uptime in fights regardless.

Once you begin getting deeper into instigator tree and get your combat advantage, the **** hits the fan, literally. This is when you begin topping dps charts (albeit not all the time, don't think hitting 50 turns you into a beast, because it doesn't quite yet) you provide a lot of team utility now.. CA for your team, shreds, bleeds, you can pull and wreck trash packs, switching a few skills around allows you to take on a more role-focused purpose too (such as roar+tanking, it almost fills your unstoppable bar on 1 cast)

And then you hit 60, which was a few hours ago for me. If your gearscore isnt 6k~ by now check out the market and grab a few cheap entry level blues (theyre usually like 500 ad a pop, which is worth the investment imo)

Once my friend hits 60 too it'll be time for epic progression for the two of us, but he (as a rogue) has even said it's impossible to keep up with the sheer AoE damage output of me now (all throughout our levelling he'd always top me in dungeon dps, on similar GS)

One question for you Extinction, what weapon would you reccomend using? i've seen quite a few around (using a Brimstone Mace currently, but that isn't endgame ofc)

Awesome post Xero! Glad to see its coming together. There are some spots in levelling it is straight up miserable. But the build does come together great and you do find a really nice role within a group.

As to your weapon question ... I still use my Delzoun weapon I got from my head start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
    edited May 2013
    The plan I've got over the next week is to continue reading over the info the GWF community is researching with stat values etc and updating the build if there is some good new info.

Also I'm going to clean things up on the original post and make the guide easier to follow.

Any other suggestions that would help with the guide let me know and ill see if I can get them added as well.

Keep crushing!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What companion have you been using at Level 60?
    va8Ru.gif
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i am just not sure if the bleeding is worth it...the amount of bleed seems pretty low in real numbers, and over 5 seconds mean only elite mobs and bosses do ge tthe bleed
  • adhal81adhal81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to say thanks for the guide Extinction. Not able to really rip into this build yet since I just started playing 3 days ago, but the info here has been very enlightening and encouraging. Can't wait to hit 60 now.