test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Try not to forget the purpose of open Beta

langhilaulanghilau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
We all hope that things are done right when a new game comes out but if you have had any experience in other betas you should know that it does not work that way. The Open Beta program gives the developers a chance to see how well things will hold up to rigors of say launch day, much like we saw last night. What they learned is either the log-in sequence has some bugs in it or perhaps the servers load balancing is not doing its jobs or even the need for more servers and then the possibility that it is a combination of some or all of these items.

I am certain that they are happy to see the huge turnout for the game, and I am positive they are doing everything in their power to rectify the issue at hand as rapidly as possible. When you are given the privilege to participate in a beta program it is not so you can brag to your friends and workers that you got in to the new game, it should be looked at more along the lines of you have been hired as a non-paid game tester and they want to hear from you about bugs, exploits and missing graphics as opposed to the complaints about how screwed up the game is just because you can't play.

One final thing in closing remember you agreed to a non-disclosure agreement when you signed up so be careful how you vent the frustration so many of you have displayed.
Post edited by langhilau on

Comments

• pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Launch day was yesterday.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once a company starts taking in money, expectations rise.

I believe the NDA has been lifted. If not, good luck to them keeping things secret with an open beta.
  • mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The purpose of open beta is to disguise a real launch with an excellent fall back excuse and limited accountability.
  • langhilaulanghilau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are possibly right about the NDA my mistake. To the person who said launch day was yesterday. "Launch Day is the day that you are able to purchase the released version not a beta or a pre-order.
  • colluzioncolluzion Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    This game left open beta the moment they took people's money. You do not sell incomplete products for triple the price of a normal game, then tell those who paid $60 they have to wait in queue. PWE is handling this all wrong, and they'll lose supporters if they keep it up.
  • markoepmarkoep Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    langhilau wrote: »
    We all hope that things are done right when a new game comes out but if you have had any experience in other betas you should know that it does not work that way. The Open Beta program gives the developers a chance to see how well things will hold up to rigors of say launch day, much like we saw last night. What they learned is either the log-in sequence has some bugs in it or perhaps the servers load balancing is not doing its jobs or even the need for more servers and then the possibility that it is a combination of some or all of these items.

I am certain that they are happy to see the huge turnout for the game, and I am positive they are doing everything in their power to rectify the issue at hand as rapidly as possible. When you are given the privilege to participate in a beta program it is not so you can brag to your friends and workers that you got in to the new game, it should be looked at more along the lines of you have been hired as a non-paid game tester and they want to hear from you about bugs, exploits and missing graphics as opposed to the complaints about how screwed up the game is just because you can't play.

One final thing in closing remember you agreed to a non-disclosure agreement when you signed up so be careful how you vent the frustration so many of you have displayed.

I think your misunderstanding. This isnt a open beta, when a company charge you money for it. Yes its f2p but they still opened the cash shop.
    Open beta in mmo those days is just a cheap tactic to rip your pocket empty for a unfinished product. So acutally your not in open beta. Its just a cheap marketing trick.
  • pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    colluzion wrote: »
    This game left open beta the moment they took people's money. You do not sell incomplete products for triple the price of a normal game, then tell those who paid $60 they have to wait in queue. PWE is handling this all wrong, and they'll lose supporters if they keep it up.

You sure about that? No other company has sold an incomplete product ever before? What did I spend money on for StarForge then?
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You are possibly right about the NDA my mistake. To the person who said launch day was yesterday. "Launch Day is the day that you are able to purchase the released version not a beta or a pre-order.

I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
    edited May 2013
    markoep wrote: »
    I think your misunderstanding. This isnt a open beta, when a company charge you money for it. Yes its f2p but they still opened the cash shop.
    Open beta in mmo those days is just a cheap tactic to rip your pocket empty for a unfinished product. So acutally your not in open beta. Its just a cheap marketing trick.

The thing is they arent charging for open beta, they have a cash shop up yes but they do not require you to make ANY purchase to be able to play the game. So if you feel like you need to spend a ton of money on this game then feel free to and then ***** and moan how you lost a bunch of money on this game.
  • kill4kaytkill4kayt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    F2P games don't have Open Betas. They have 'Soft Launches' which is when you LAUNCH a game with missing Features. Once the Character Wipes stop it is no longer beta - It is Launched.
    Close The World.txeN ehT nepO
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Um...

You forgot how you CAN'T BUY THIS GAME IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Cryptic is using the 'open beta' line as a way of going, "well, we're sorry there's problems, but it's in beta".

NW for all intents and purposes has launched. Period.
    edited May 2013

The thing is they arent charging for open beta, they have a cash shop up yes but they do not require you to make ANY purchase to be able to play the game. So if you feel like you need to spend a ton of money on this game then feel free to and then ***** and moan how you lost a bunch of money on this game.
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

So gullible. This is a f2p game there will never be an ability to "purchase" a release version other than the founders pack. For all practical purposes yesterday was launch day do not delude yourself into thinking this "open beta" is about finding bugs before the launch. It is about getting people out there paying money to play the game.....ie a launch. I personally have zero issues with that only the fools who keep harping "this is beta it is for finding issues you should feel honored blah blah blah"
  • taylorfesttaylorfest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »

"The thing is" slapping open beta on your product to duck blame for glaring game issues is shady practice and a snub to your players. I have no doubt that the people who actually built the game worked hard and are not the least bit guilty for this, however the game is up with no wipes and a cash shop. Calling it an open beta, doesn't make it an open beta.
    10mr4gl.png
  • byrhofenbyrhofen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only people claiming this is a beta at all, are PW/Cryptic, so they have something to fall back on when the **** hits the fan (like now), and people that do not know what an actual beta is (open or otherwise).
    edited May 2013
    taylorfest wrote: »
    "The thing is" slapping open beta on your product to duck blame for glaring game issues is shady practice and a snub to your players. I have no doubt that the people who actually built the game worked hard and are not the least bit guilty for this, however the game is up with no wipes and a cash shop. Calling it an open beta, doesn't make it an open beta.

Im not arguing if the game is in Open Beta or if it has Launched. It is a soft launch to me. What im arguing is people saying they are forced to pay for an open beta. And no you are not.
  • taylorfesttaylorfest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Im not arguing if the game is in Open Beta or if it has Launched. It is a soft launch to me. What im arguing is people saying they are forced to pay for an open beta. And no you are not.

Probably has something to do with the enormous queue times. To be honest, you basically have to pay 200 to get in the game unless you have the time to wait 2 hours. We will see after the downtime if anything has changed.
    10mr4gl.png
    edited May 2013
    Probably has something to do with the enormous queue times. To be honest, you basically have to pay 200 to get in the game unless you have the time to wait 2 hours. We will see after the downtime if anything has changed.

Thats all I'm doing, but no these doom sayers are coming in telling us all how we need to spend money to play the game. I was able to play plenty yesterday and guess how much I have spent on the game. Nothing. Not one cent.
  • flakkmagnetflakkmagnet Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be true if they started calling it a beta after the problems started. They made it very clear that it's in open beta, and the problems we've been seeing the past 24 hours are consistent with an mmo in beta phase. A massive increase in player base causes the problems we've seen with lag and the queue, completely normal and its the reason companies have beta tests. You don't launch an mmo without a massive test, you just don't. Just because some people were silly enough to pay money for a game that is not only free, but unfinished, doesn't mean the game is officially launched.
  • istianisistianis Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    Open beta or not , i do have to agree with some here about the fact the cash shop is actually open. I supose this would also mean no wipes so somewhere in the near future freeloaders will have a 5-day wait before we can continue playing. For me this is not a beta anymore ; no wipes and accepting cash ..... this is the real deal.

Now i see someone here above mention the hard work of the programmers. Did you actually play Star Trek Online? If you did ; you should see ALOT of similarities. It might have been said by the developers themselves or not , dunno , but that should have cut alot in the possible bugs.This doesnt mean i hate the game , i actually played Star Trek alot , and i am sure ill play this one alot too now being a d&d fan and love what i have seen. They have done certain things , copied or not from star trek , to my taste. Alot of the features work like i would like them to work.

Just because of those things i support this company , but as always i disagree on the way they do things :) i say it and keep saying it , the game industry is the only industry that can mess with their customer base and can get away with it , partially or fully.
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They have said from the beginning that Neverwinter will be freely downloadable to the public at launch.

Yesterday, the game became freely downloadable to the public.

The game launched yesterday.

Pure and simple.

They can call it beta, but the availability of the product is today exactly what we were told it would be at launch.

We're live, folks.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • flowsharianflowsharian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    So in nutshell after reading everyone's post, this is Launch, game is live, there are no more character wipes(planned anyways) and you can purchase the game as a Founder, which unlocks more of the game, so therefore is in reality purchasing the game. It's called Open Beta because of two reasons(this is my opinion but I think it's accurate) 1. game is not ready in their estimation to be considered fully out, and they want to get the game to complete faster by inducing mass users to find the errors faster. 2.they are using the term as camoflage for a myriad of reasons, either giving out fake pomp to players who don't know the difference, or to guile us into being ok with mass issues.
  • langhilaulanghilau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So anyone that doesn't go along with your conspiracy theory is a Fool. That would be like me saying anyone that thinks like you is an imbecile who has the brain of a rut pig. Since I do have manners I will refrain from making that comment. Now can I get my fries with the coke... please?
  • zatemzatem Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The game has launched and everyone knows it. Call it alpha, beta, open or gamma beta if you want to. The charactes won't be wiped and the cash store is open...it is a launch. Yes, they had to launch not ready, not all the classes or in, the paragon paths etc. I am fine with this, I even bought the Gaurdian Pack. However, just relax on the OB bullcrud because that is all that OB talk is.
    edited May 2013
    So in nutshell after reading everyone's post, this is Launch, game is live, there are no more character wipes(planned anyways) and you can purchase the game as a Founder, which unlocks more of the game, so therefore is in reality purchasing the game. It's called Open Beta because of two reasons(this is my opinion but I think it's accurate) 1. game is not ready in their estimation to be considered fully out, and they want to get the game to complete faster by inducing mass users to find the errors faster. 2.they are using the term as camoflage for a myriad of reasons, either giving out fake pomp to players who don't know the difference, or to guile us into being ok with mass issues.

The only thing that is "unlocked" for Heroes as opposed to F2P is the drow race which will be coming to Free users in ~60 days.
    edited May 2013
    That would be true if they started calling it a beta after the problems started. They made it very clear that it's in open beta, and the problems we've been seeing the past 24 hours are consistent with an mmo in beta phase. A massive increase in player base causes the problems we've seen with lag and the queue, completely normal and its the reason companies have beta tests. You don't launch an mmo without a massive test, you just don't. Just because some people were silly enough to pay money for a game that is not only free, but unfinished, doesn't mean the game is officially launched.

Tell me, what is the difference between what the game is now and what it will be when its "launched"? The game is there, all levels are there, all content is there, cash shop is there...... hmmmm what is missing? Nothing.
    10mr4gl.png
  • durenasdurenas Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It amazes me when people who have paid absolutely nothing talk about entitlement.
  • sintheta2sintheta2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I paid 20 dollars for the starter pack. I just want to play.. don't make me cry.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They aren't charging money for anything, it's F2P. They are however allowing people to pay if they want to. Ya'll do understand, no one had to pay to actually play this game, right?