test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Free re-specs for beta.

mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Free re-specs for games in beta are customary.

people are testing skills and builds for you and providing feedback. as an open beta tester, i would like to request the same freedom to fine tune this game other companies provide.

thank you.
Post edited by mythrildragon on

Comments

• Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

people are testing skills and builds for you and providing feedback. as an open beta tester, i would like to request the same freedom to fine tune this game other companies provide.

thank you.

With this being a Open Beta/ "soft Launch" It is not being considered in the heavy testing stage anymore. I have seen the changes from Alpha to Closed Beta to this and I dont remember a free respec.
  • Options
    amphrax85amphrax85 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am totally supporting this. mythrildragon +1
  • Options
    biobrainbiobrain Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

thank you.

Closed Beta tester get the re-specs.
  • Options
    floredonfloredon Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    we also need some free mounts because we're ummm testing your mount system, yeah that's it, that's the ticket. after that i'll buy 1, no, 2, no 300 million zen! i promise.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I imagine when they start implementing new paragon paths, they'll give out some respec tokens for free or do an event built around them. For now though... Heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    you did get respecs in closed beta?

it still wouldn't be a bad idea, allods for example gives on per char, so if you roll lets say a guardian, you can go dps for levelling, but save your respec for changing to a full tanking build later, or in case you made a mistake. they also gave em after major class up dates, i think they still had a steady revenue for them in the cash shop, so thats not an issue.
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I demand a free game!

Oh wait...
  • Options
    faergorrfaergorr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, free respec is needed, or at least for in game currency
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GW2 still does it right.
    NWO does not.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    faergorr wrote: »
    Agreed, free respec is needed, or at least for in game currency

Exactly.
    /10charlimitcanbiteme
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I imagine when they start implementing new paragon paths, they'll give out some respec tokens for free or do an event built around them.

I asked something similar in another thread. As there's only currently one paragon path, at least for GF, we're pretty much forced down that one. To add others later and then to charge zen to respec would be a bit lame. The best thing they could do would be to give out a respec token or simply reset them for everyone and people can respend the points how they want.
  • Options
    sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    GW2 still does it right.
    NWO does not.

Agreed, it is very handy to switch between builds for different things,
    like having different builds for dungeons and regular pve, for example;
    it makes trying new things/builds flexable and fun

Ahh well,
    I suppose that the respecing system here is probably not going to change,
    since if they stopped charging zen for it, the people who bought repecs with zen will feel cheated
  • Options
    amphrax85amphrax85 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or do like DAoC ( Dark Age of Camelot ) did, let us kill a dragon boss who drops respec stones :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    well the one they'd give for beta or future char creation would be bound to character and exclusive, obviously it wouldn't be a tradeable/sellable one from the cash shop.

some here are missing the point.
  • Options
    zzacczzacc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not a beta, it's a launch. You can call your horse an alligator but it's still gonna be a horse.

That being said, I don't think the current respec cost is reasonable.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The entire game is free. Let the company charge for some convenience items. Respeccing is a convenice, as you can make a new character for every spec for free. It is not ideal for you time, but once again, you can play for free.

Support the game for continued improvements.
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    The entire game is free. Let the company charge for some convenience items. Respeccing is a convenice, as you can make a new character for every spec for free. It is not ideal for you time, but once again, you can play for free.

Exactly, nothing is free.
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It is funny to note the difference between those that where old enough to remember the Diablo1 era games ('96), and those that grew up on CoD. (By old enough, I mean those that dont consider that era part of their childhood).

It takes a week, maby less (one guy did it in 2 days) to max level a character. If you are sick of the quests, then do foundry. Yes, it takes longer that way, but still not months upon months. I can understand that you might not want to. And I can see an argument for a 1 respec token. But beyond that is just childish entitlement.

I am sorry if that last bit offended you, but you can call your horse an aligator, but it is still going to be a donkey.
  • Options
    aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its not in beta, its in open beta, effectively launch.
    You basically have no need to even respec, put 1 point in everything, the skills that are completely useless(everyclass has them), dont put points into, then pick and chose alittle, you really have NO reason to ever respec.
    You "MAY" need to respec feats, but you can spend AD for those.
    I do support being able to respec for gold, say 5gold type thing.
  • Options
    aumerleaumerle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »

Wait.. what?? Your argument against a free respec is that we can just START OVER every time we want to respec? Wow. And to top that off maybe you didn't notice but we only get 2 character slots so basically it's delete character and start over every time. Hopefully you were joking because otherwise I don't know what else to say to that.
  • Options
    zzacczzacc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is funny to note the difference between those that where old enough to remember the Diablo1 era games ('96), and those that grew up on CoD. (By old enough, I mean those that dont consider that era part of their childhood).

It takes a week, maby less (one guy did it in 2 days) to max level a character. If you are sick of the quests, then do foundry. Yes, it takes longer that way, but still not months upon months. I can understand that you might not want to. And I can see an argument for a 1 respec token. But beyond that is just childish entitlement.

I am sorry if that last bit offended you, but you can call your horse an aligator, but it is still going to be a donkey.

From your last remark I feel you missed my point. What I meant was there is no reason for free respecs because this is not a beta anymore, not really.

I don't think asking for a feature so essential to be reasonably priced is entitlement, playing non-dps characters I usually respec 3 or 4 times a day in most games.
    Paying 5 bucks for each respec is ludicrous, least they could do is make the respec token a reusable item with a cooldown for that price.
  • Options
    kina1991kina1991 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I support this OP 100% cos its true, respecs should be free..at least once a week if ur really into "we gotta give money back to company attitude" , or cost minor ingame currency simply enough.

~And if u spam it every half an hour then increase the price exponentially with zen or w/e.

Lold at guy saying make new char for every spec.. if ur already testing why would u need to lvl again just to try a spec, nvm having to be forced to pay for additional slots, cos u cant really test anything without paying 200$.
  • Options
    papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What about a dual spec? You certainly won't be using the same spec for both pvp and pve... And on 60 respec costs 151k AD... Basically until you get all the possible gear from pve you don't pvp at all or what?
  • Options
    besharpebesharpe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respecing is a must in any game. There is no way in hell I will pay each time I need to respec. The game is great mind you, I have been enjoying it quiet a bit. However, there are some things to costly to pay for and I am not paying 5 dollars every time I want to try out another spec or to even fine toon the one I have. You might get 1 out of me then eventually I will just stop playing. It's just one of those things that being charged for everytime is to costly. I would prefer to pay $14 a month sub fee then pay for each time I need to respec. Just putting my 2 cents in because I would like to keep playing but the way I understand it I would have to pay each time and that won't happen.

Though it's thier game but kinda a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    antonislakantonislak Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013

thank you.

Yes please, the first thing this game is at least not free but cheap respec and more classes. Respec shouldnt be like 7 euros per point, its preposterous.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Two things;

1) It would be unfair to expect people to pay for respecs during 'open beta', if Cryptic make changes to paths / feats.
    2) I suggest the use of celestial coins for buying respecs - make it 7 coins or similar so people are committed to a week's worth of logging in before they can buy one. Whilst I don't agree with it, I think a currency that vanishes if you don't keep it going is a great lure to keep people playing, especially if they utilise it by providing rare / exclusive items with it.
  • Options
    leetlazztleetlazzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good luck this game is a massive cash grab.

It's unreal that they want you to pay for basic features of any game.

You should not have to pay real money for :

Bags , Respec , rez scroll , Best potion.

That's just absurd unless they change this. You will have a bad time playing this game for free.

You either cash out a few hundred bucks or stay behind everyone else.

MMOs are just riddled with greed. Look at WoW 15 bucks a month but they have a cash shop that people use to buy mounts and pets which should be obtainable in a game you pay monthly for.

The gaming industry is nothing but crooks anymore
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leetlazzt wrote: »
    Good luck this game is a massive cash grab.

It's unreal that they want you to pay for basic features of any game.

You should not have to pay real money for :

Bags , Respec , rez scroll , Best potion.

That's just absurd unless they change this. You will have a bad time playing this game for free.

You either cash out a few hundred bucks or stay behind everyone else.

During beta weekend 2 and 3 I made it to 50 without anything from the shop. And I didn't have a "bad time" with it at all other than inventory space was a bit cramped. So I didn't have a fancy mount or companion big deal.. I didn't feel "behind everyone else" whatever that means.

Respec for $5 though not to fond of. Especially with PVP. They should really at least have a two spec system people can use for PVE and PVP.
  • Options
    k0d3xerk0d3xer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I posted this already but will post it here again: They are breaking their own game by making respeccing cost real money. Everybody will be using cookie-cutter builds because no one will be willing to experiment. Just make it cost gold.
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about you guys just build your class properly in the first place? I don't want everyone copying everyone else's build they find on the internet.

If you need a re-spec, it's your fault you didn't prepare and do your research. At least they offer you the chance to buy respec tokens!

Some games (PoE) where it's even more 'planning ahead', you don't get to respec at all.