test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The good, the bad, and the horrible (so far)

pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Updates in yellow
The Good:
  1. Combat is very fun so far. Animations are mostly fluid, dodging works like a charm. Overall, well done (when it's not lagging and rubberbanding me anyway)
  2. Overall lag has been minimal. Rubberbanding here and there, but mostly no lag whatsoever. Good job, hope it can hold up through the next two player surges.
  3. Environments are beautiful (when they're meant to be anyway)
  4. Armor dyes are well implemented from what I can tell and this is a perfect thing to stick in the zen store... sadly there's nothing decent to use them on. See the "horrible" section.

The Bad:
  1. Why is /em sleep still making you hunch over like you're about to hurl? Where is the laying down emote? I know you have it, I see NPCs doing it all over the place when they're hurt or dead. Give it.
  2. There's still no way to unsheathe/sheath weapons outside of combat.
  3. Crafting missions take far too long. Yes, I realize it's supposed to be an AD sink but 4 hours at a level 2-3 mission is simply ridiculous, these need to be lowered or all you're going to do is seriously disinterest your largest base of casual players.
  4. Auction house search filter is horribly broken. Minimum level simply doesn't work when you're searching by your class. You can't re-order the results by level or... anything really. Which means you have to mouse over... every...single... item...until...you...finally...find...what...you...want...or...find...nothing... at...all...which...makes...doing..so... a... very... unenjoyable...experience. Kind of like reading that sentence.

The Horrible:
  1. There is still no way to visually preview items through links, the AH, or the zen store in most cases (Sorry, pictures do not count). This needs to be added as soon as possible.
  2. Who dropped the ball on armor variety? I've gone from level 1-30 and had -MAYBE- 3 or 4 different armor looks. I'm talking CHEST armor. Everything else? Entirely identical. What is going on here? Did you guys just completely forget to design armor sets? Is all the armor sitting on 60 vendors somewhere? I haven't played another MMO with gear variety that is so utterly lacking. This is unacceptable as it is right now. Don't even get me started on pants. Do you remember the epic book series where Drizzt spent the first year of his career searching for quality pants? Yeah, me neither.
  3. Lair of the Mad Dragon, the dragon boss. This is like going from a normal dungeon (the boss before it, which was fun and challenging) to a heroic raid boss that stomps your teeth on the curb and then spits in your wound. Throwing a dungeon finder group that was expecting a fun experience into that is... I just... what? I'm not complaining about difficulty, I'm complaining about the placement of the difficulty. This kind of difficulty doesn't belong in a level 30 pug dungeon.
Post edited by pizzamurai on

Comments

• derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Bad: 2. /em Afk

As for 3, the number of AD it says is the cost to remove the enchantment. At least that's the way it was during the BWEs.
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    derressh wrote: »
    The Bad: 2. /em Afk

As for 3, the number of AD it says is the cost to remove the enchantment. At least that's the way it was during the BWEs.
    Interesting. Well there's the kneel emote

And you are correct, game must have bugged on one of the enchants as at the time of posting I was charged for slotting as well.
    Post edited.
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    3 out of the 5 "negatives" you listed are emotes... I can live with that.:p

I actually think Crafting times should be in the ugly category over variety of Armor sets. Game feature issue trumps cosmetic issue most of the time, IMO. Keep in mind I have yet to play, but if I were to rank which of the two were more important to me, it would be crafting over looks.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taeryl wrote: »

I actually think Crafting times should be in the ugly category over variety of Armor sets. Game feature issue trumps cosmetic issue most of the time, IMO. Keep in mind I have yet to play, but if I were to rank which of the two were more important to me, it would be crafting over looks.

the Gateway takes care of this issue really its more like one of those facebook games, since you can do crafting from your phone or whatever it's not that big of a deal
    21.jpg
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    the portal thing takes care of this issue really its more like one of those facebook games, since you can do crafting from your phone or whatever it's not that big of a deal

Ah yes, forgot about the Gateway...
  • jonddnjonddn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    Don't even get me started on pants. Do you remember the epic book series where Drizzt spent the first year of his career searching for quality pants? Yeah, me neither.

Aahahah so much win on this one XD
    "Kobold smells all! Kobold Omnisniffient!" - Tuga? North Trail Wants You! - North! Always!
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taeryl wrote: »

There's a difference between cosmetic fluff and "You are going to look exactly the same for 30+ levels". Crafting times is more of a personal gripe, and it doesn't break the game for the majority of people so I didn't list it as ugly.
  • mostoastymostoasty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1. There is still no way to visually preview items through links, the AH, or the zen store in most cases (Sorry, pictures do not count). This needs to be added as soon as possible.

This is a huge problem.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you'd think Cryptic would've picked up some tips from other MMO's along the way -_-

peeved about the no preview thing and lack of gear variety :(
  • mazzeimazzei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If it helps any, within your inventory, if you choose to "Change Appearance" of the item it'll show the piece as if it were standing in an armor rack, except the rack is invisible.

Unfortunately you can't change appearance on stuff outside of your inventory. But if you want to check a gear before binding it, it's great too.
  • terethilterethil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The no armor preview is really odd, I thought this was a staple option of nearly all MMOs these days.
    edited April 2013
    mazzei wrote: »
    If it helps any, within your inventory, if you choose to "Change Appearance" of the item it'll show the piece as if it were standing in an armor rack, except the rack is invisible.

Unfortunately you can't change appearance on stuff outside of your inventory. But if you want to check a gear before binding it, it's great too.

I knew this, but it does me no good with stuff I don't already own... which is mostly what I'd need it for :/
  • sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited April 2013
    I have to agree the armor variety is pretty bad. Lvl 36 CW and the only changes in my outfit are flaps in the front and back of my shirt. I'm hoping this means there is just a very large selection of varied gear at 60.
    21.jpg
  • divinehopedivinehope Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    sent8 wrote: »
    I have to agree the armor variety is pretty bad. Lvl 36 CW and the only changes in my outfit are flaps in the front and back of my shirt. I'm hoping this means there is just a very large selection of varied gear at 60.

Yeah, somehow I doubt it.
  • stonermkiistonermkii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pretty much agree with most of this, and definitely the armor part. Its been one of my top issues since BW1, that and the crazy limited character gen (and sometimes very ugly). I hope sometime this year they update that thing, definitely seems like a step backwards compared to STO or CO.
  • clarkeuxclarkeux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I pretty much agree with all that you are saying. The pants thing especially. That threw me way off when I noticed I was still wearing my level 1 soiled pants ^_^
    5.jpg
    "All shall burn before the hellfire I rain unto my Foes"
  • voidacusvoidacus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is very disappointing to read, as visual gear progression is a big deal to me and a lot of gamers. I hope this is remedied at least at end game, but that doesn't solve everything leading up to end game.

Maybe it's taking a GW2 approach to gear visuals where end game you find better skins, etc.
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    But guys, its 'Open Beta'.... and a 'Launch'..... but you cant say anything bad about it if its in 'Open Beta' ... :/
    edited April 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    but you cant say anything bad about it if its in 'Open Beta' ... :/

i respectfully disagree. beta's are for feedback and improving the game.
    21.jpg
  • femaelstromfemaelstrom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My biggest frustrations so far are the lack of variety for armor and the fact mounts take up inventory space. I get that mounts and inventory will probably be two of the biggest cash cows for the game, but having them be dependent on each other is pretty lame.
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    i respectfully disagree. beta's are for feedback and improving the game.

You forget the part where this is also the initial launch. No char wipes, and early access = Its Launch. However, Cryptic has decided to give us half a game and slap the 'Beta' tag on it.

Cryptic is a decent gaming company, but they're certainly bottom of the barrel.
    edited April 2013
    They at least kind of worked a bit on the "armor looks the same" thing
    Just found out you can dye your armor so i guess i ok with that depending on how hard it is to get dyes
    21.jpg
  • voidacusvoidacus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They at least kind of worked a bit on the "armor looks the same" thing
    Just found out you can dye your armor so i guess i ok with that depending on how hard it is to get dyes

Is dye one time use? Or is it like GW2 and you can use it infinitely?
    edited April 2013
    ooh that's a good question...
    21.jpg
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    voidacus wrote: »
    Is dye one time use? Or is it like GW2 and you can use it infinitely?

One time use, and you choose which of 3 parts of an item you want to dye too. So it can get pretty expensive (especially since so far I only see dye in the Zen store...)
  • gillman58gillman58 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Very well written mini-review. You've got story telling talent Sir, hope you do some Foundry-mission work
    The Good:
    1. Combat is very fun so far. Animations are mostly fluid, dodging works like a charm. Overall, well done (when it's not lagging and rubberbanding me anyway)
    2. Overall lag has been minimal. Rubberbanding here and there, but mostly no lag whatsoever. Good job, hope it can hold up through the next two player surges.
    3. Environments are beautiful (when they're meant to be anyway)
    4. Armor dyes are well implemented from what I can tell and this is a perfect thing to stick in the zen store... sadly there's nothing decent to use them on. See the "ugly" section.

The Bad:
    1. Why is /em sleep still making you hunch over like you're about to hurl? Where is the laying down emote? I know you have it, I see NPCs doing it all over the place when they're hurt or dead. Give it.
    2. There's still no way to unsheathe/sheath weapons outside of combat.
    3. Crafting missions take far too long. Yes, I realize it's supposed to be an AD sink but 4 hours at a level 2-3 mission is simply ridiculous, these need to be lowered or all you're going to do is seriously disinterest your largest base of casual players.

The Ugly:
    2. Who dropped the ball on armor variety? I've gone from level 1-30 and had -MAYBE- 3 or 4 different armor looks. I'm talking CHEST armor. Everything else? Entirely identical. What is going on here? Did you guys just completely forget to design armor sets? Is all the armor sitting on 60 vendors somewhere? I haven't played another MMO with gear variety that is so utterly lacking. This is unacceptable as it is right now. Don't even get me started on pants. Do you remember the epic book series where Drizzt spent the first year of his career searching for quality pants? Yeah, me neither.
    edited April 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    One time use, and you choose which of 3 parts of an item you want to dye too. So it can get pretty expensive (especially since so far I only see dye in the Zen store...)

Aww, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    You forget the part where this is also the initial launch. No char wipes, and early access = Its Launch. However, Cryptic has decided to give us half a game and slap the 'Beta' tag on it.

Cryptic is a decent gaming company, but they're certainly bottom of the barrel.

I've tested this game since Alpha, it's your right to call this half a game...but most rational people would disagree.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! We really appreciate it!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • xaeosxaeos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was really worried about some of these things. Lacking the ability to sheath and draw your weapons? That's an unacceptable cut corner, that says to me "We don't really care about roleplaying content", which I find disappointing when it comes to a D&D game. Dungeons and Dragons is more than just combat action these days. D&D rules give tabletop gamers entire worlds to enjoy and tons of options for content. While I understand the game world has to be under more limitations than what a DM can dream up, I expect to see lots of content that is more than just "Get quest, go into dungeon, fight, loot trinket, turn in quest". Hell, it seems Cryptic's own Star Trek Online has a lot more RP flavor/functions (and the ability to draw and sheath your weapons!) than Neverwinter - there's Dabo, Quark's Bar, RP equipment that you can unlock, bridges and rooms within your ship (and furniture you can interact with!), plus the whole Diplomacy mission system where talking is a viable way to complete a mission! I expect at least as much in Neverwinter!

I really hope that Cryptic extends the Hero/Guardian package availability beyond the start of Open Beta (at least keep the packages around, completely intact at their current prices until the true launch), if there are plans to improve the game. I'd very much like to back and I'd like to see some improvement that would make me feel it is worth it to do so, especially in the area of roleplaying content!