test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is '' playneverwinter.com '' a legit web site from PWI ?

wendigoatwendigoat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello Everyone,
I have received some e-mail from ' playneverwinter.com'' and so far, i had never received an e-mail from that particular address , and my e-mail program told me.. cause i had gave permission to every address in the previous months, since i have been registered..so in essence,, it sorta intercepted that one as a new '' origin'' and so,
because am paranoid most likely, hehee.. but still,, I would like a comfirmation that it is a legitimate site from pwi..since it asks me to log in at some point when i click on some links and so on, etc..etc.. but the page that it sends me to log in is unfamiliar to me,, as opposed to the ones I am use to..

I just want to make sure before I do something I may regret, is all.

Thank you kindly for any help and your patience / tolerance on this matter. Peace ! :o
Post edited by wendigoat on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Playneverwinter was the old website which was there before PWE bought cryptic. however it is suspicious because most of the emails I received are either from cryptic or from PWE contact...
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    It is an official PW site and going to playneverwinter.com should automatically redirect you to http://nw.perfectworld.com/

I would check the spelling very, very carefully.

But you're probably just being paranoid.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Everything Gillrmn stated is true to the best of my knowledge.

PlayNeverwinter.com will still redirect you to nw.perfectworld.com but it shouldn't remain PlayNeverwinter.com. If it does do not click on any links.

I am passing this on to the CM's to look into but for the time being you showed great judgement in your caution! :D
  • Options
    palpiterpalpiter Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    playneverwinter.com is also used by the gateway ( gateway.playneverwinter.com) to access your character from the web (manage professions, check your auctions etc.)
    so its still owned by cryptic/pwe and in use.
  • Options
    me33ieme33ie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is gateway still down ie : if not in headstart can we still check it as I still keep getting error ??

Ven
  • Options
    wendigoatwendigoat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you all for your tips and info,
    After some verification, it does redirect me to an nw.perfectworld page, so am guessing it is legit, and the pwi address it originated from was just different than any previous ones.
    Maybe i should've asked if any of you guys had received an e-mail lately (past few days) from pwi / neverwinter entitled '' Welcome to Neverwinter ''. The email also has a personal touch to it as it welcomes you with your character name.
    I thought it was cool, but still , am glad i ran this by the forum first, just in case ya know..
    Thanks again everyone ! see ya in game.. :)
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited April 2013
    If we link to http://www.playneverwinter.com, then it's safe. It's an easier link that redirects to our homepage. Please be sure to check and verify the spelling of any link before you click on it as a general internet browsing tip :)

See you in Neverwinter!
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yea i've been using playneverwinter since its easier to remember ;p
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ADDENDUM ; Important :
    Guys, I ve just realized why i got that Flag.. i need to add this, as i was looking over that e-mail again.. one of the hyperlink i clicked on in order to give me more info on nightmare lockbox is this one --> https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ and that is the one page i was not familiar with.. I could not remember where i had clicked within my e-mail before as it was towards the end of it. sorry,, hope this helps..
    If Mr. Administrator cmpinpointerror, or Mr.Moderator ambisinisterr could confirm that it is SAFE to log in from that site, would appreciate and then you can close the thread as well. Thanks Again. :o
  • Options
    solmyr14solmyr14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    wendigoat wrote: »
    ADDENDUM ; Important :
    Guys, I ve just realized why i got that Flag.. i need to add this, as i was looking over that e-mail again.. one of the hyperlink i clicked on in order to give me more info on nightmare lockbox is this one --> https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ and that is the one page i was not familiar with.. I could not remember where i had clicked within my e-mail before as it was towards the end of it. sorry,, hope this helps..
    If Mr. Administrator cmpinpointerror, or Mr.Moderator ambisinisterr could confirm that it is SAFE to log in from that site, would appreciate and then you can close the thread as well. Thanks Again. :o

That website is the site to allow you to manage your in-game crafting from outside the game. I used it during BW4. I love the ability to skill up my tradeskills from anywhere with my phone/tablet.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited April 2013
    Uh...

That's just the URL for the Gateway web tool for the game, which is intended to let you view character information, stats, inventory, etc. via the web. Folks in this thread have already said this.

I understand why you may be paranoid and want a word-of-developer, but...well...
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    For future reference, whenever you see "blah.blah.blah.something.com/" the only thing that matters is the ".something.com/" All the ".blah." before it is attached to the site.
  • Options
    trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ADDENDUM ; Important :

is that not the gateway site where you can do the AH and craft while not in game?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yep, i figured it out when i received an in game e-mail that was telling me all about professions and other stuff i could do directly from the browser online..and the link was exactly the one i mentioned in addendum, and i think it's a very nice feature.
    So now, we can close the thread and thank you all for your help,, guess i jumped the gun and should've waited a wee bit longer before posting perhaps.
    One more thing though, How do i close / terminate this thread that i started ? LOL.. :confused:
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If we link to http://www.playneverwinter.com, then it's safe. It's an easier link that redirects to our homepage. Please be sure to check and verify the spelling of any link before you click on it as a general internet browsing tip :)

See you in Neverwinter!
    Just always remember to check the actual address you're being linked to, due to the way html works you can make anything display as the text of a link. Some phishing mails use this to make people think they're clicking on a valid link, when in reality they're being guided to a fake site made to look like the real one, intended to fool users into giving up account info. Double check the address bar of your browser before you give up any kind of information.

http://www.playneverwinter.com <-A "masked" url (this one takes you to the main forum page instead of the main news page)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    ADDENDUM ; Important :
    . . . . .The url I quoted above and typed below, is indeed legit and safe. It is the landing and login page for the new Gateway, a web-interface for managing various things in Neverwinter while not actually in the game.

https://gateway.playneverwinter.com
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Also, it is better to copy paste the link in browser instead of clicking on the link itself which can sometimes compromise your email account information...

(a general tip)