test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hate official NW wiki !!!

masabooooooomasabooooooo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 36
edited April 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Why did the moderator put silly advertizings on official Neverwinter wiki?

Sometimes I open the class information, ads coming with sounds.

It is so annoying and have to refresh until it shows soundless ads.

IT'S OFFICIAL WIKI, WHY WE HAVE TO SEE ADS? PLZ PAY FOR THE ONE DOESNT SHOW ADS, OR ITS JUST SAME AS UNOFFICIAL WIKI.

Am I wrong? I dont want to listen silly ads while I looking/reading at the class informations or others.
I saw just few wikis coming with ads' sound everytime when open, but its all dump.
Post edited by masabooooooo on

Comments

• Options
    berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If only there was some kind of mechanism to stop ads, maybe a blocker or something! Hmm...
    They're not called respect tokens...
  • Options
    valgavantevalgavante Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    fortunately i have 'mute' on my keyboard
    65752563.jpg77219287.jpg
  • Options
    blasph3m3blasph3m3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If only there was some kind of mechanism to stop ads, maybe a blocker or something! Hmm...

You know, I was just about to post that I don't get ads when I visit the site and suggest he may be mistaken but, this ^ :rolleyes:
    10qkinm.png
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The official wiki is a community run wiki hosted at a third party site. It was not created by Cryptic or PWE and is not run by them. This and several other wikis already existed. All the "official" stamp means is that they looked at several and chose the one they felt was the best fit*. It's the same thing they did with Champions Online (and I believe STO as well).

* This could mean content, design, number of contributers, or even the one that gave them the best reciprocal deal of some kind.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    NoScript: learn it, live it, love it
  • Options
    masabooooooomasabooooooo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 36
    edited April 2013
    "we’ve partnered with Curse to bring to you the official Neverwinter Wiki"
    "We’ll be building out the content for it"

I'm pretty sure the wiki not made by third person, moderators chose and created.
    It hosted by third party, but this "official" means Neverwinter Moderators Create the wiki.
  • Options
    mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    Why did the moderator put silly advertizings on official Neverwinter wiki?

Sometimes I open the class information, ads coming with sounds.

It is so annoying and have to refresh until it shows soundless ads.

IT'S OFFICIAL WIKI, WHY WE HAVE TO SEE ADS? PLZ PAY FOR THE ONE DOESNT SHOW ADS, OR ITS JUST SAME AS UNOFFICIAL WIKI.

Am I wrong? I dont want to listen silly ads while I looking/reading at the class informations or others.
    I saw just few wikis coming with ads' sound everytime when open, but its all dump.
    DUH....put adblocker on and.....POOF! No more ads!
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "we’ve partnered with Curse to bring to you the official Neverwinter Wiki"
    "We’ll be building out the content for it"

I'm pretty sure the wiki not made by third person, moderators chose and created.
    It hosted by third party, but this "official" means Neverwinter Moderators Create the wiki.

Curse is an ad-driven website.
  • Options
    angryweirdoangryweirdo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 117 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    no need to advertise ad blocker to every single <person>. if everyone start using it, <bad> marketers will stop us.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    sure it the official wiki but it still a wiki just like all the rest and most of the good stuff will come from us the public.

BTW the Forum delected everything part way though a quote tag lol.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are 181 users who have submitted articles. Sure, Cryptic can submit an article but so can you. Curse is a huge MMO network that has been around for about a decade. They would have a Neverwinter wiki regardless of whether they ever talked to Cryptic about anything. Neverwinter is one of the biggest MMO launches of 2013 and they would not overlook it. It's not Cryptic's site. It's Curse's site.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mandodo69 wrote: »
    DUH....put adblocker on and.....POOF! No more ads!

WOW thats so effective!
    Thank you for that;)
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see any advertising at all - but I am logged-into the site so I can contribute.

Therefore the question is: if you don;t create an account and login - will you get adspam? I suspect this is the issue at hand:

Logged into your account at the wiki = no adverts; anonymous perusing = adverts. Just a guess. One that Cryptic will have to address somehow.
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    NoScript: learn it, live it, love it

I use this as well as AdBlock Plus. Use Firfox as your browser, install those 2 free addons, and never have to even know there are ads around to bother you, much less actually see them. It really is nice. :)
  • Options
    xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Websites get revenue from those Ads.

I use NoScript but, I allow ads through on websites I frequent. It doesn't hurt me to have Ads on the sides or just above the forum I visit. I occasionally learn about new games through Ads.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Moving this to Bugs as this sounds like an issue with the way ads are being delivered. I agree, no ads should auto-play video and sound. Let's hope they fix that!
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey All,

There's a few different items being discussed here. If you don't mind, I'd like to chime in on a few and provide some insight. :)

-Regarding video and audio being auto-played, that's a new report for me. I'll take a look into that and if anything is amiss I will follow up with the appropriate groups as needed.
    -This is totally an official partnership. We are combining our efforts to create the best Neverwinter Wiki possible! For some history, we also partner with Curse for our Star Trek Online Wiki, which has been very successful for us.
    -I am sorry if some people are bothered by the ads. I would like to share the perspective that, while it can be a bit annoying from a user experience perspective, do keep in mind that it's part of what keeps sites alive. These websites help promote our games and provide the infrastructure and administrative manpower necessary for our users to share guides, knowledge, and other information. So although it can be a bit annoying, it does serve the gamers in the long run by generating more community content and, of course, bringing more people to the game! :)

We're super happy to see that so many people have been filling it out already! We've got employees at Perfect World, Curse, and Cryptic all working hard to fill things in, but these contributions already look minimal when compared to the awesome community effort we've seen. Thanks so much for checking out the wiki, posting your contributions, and taking the time to share your feedback with us!
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure if anyone saw my post in the foundry beta forums before they were erased--are you guys aware there are ads for prostitutes on that curse wiki? I don't see how a company that bans the word 'put' can tolerate this.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone saw my post in the foundry beta forums before they were erased--are you guys aware there are ads for prostitutes on that curse wiki? I don't see how a company that bans the word 'put' can tolerate this.

Hi Izatar,

Thanks for posting this clarification. It is our intention to only have ads that are appropriate for all ages. After receiving your initial report we investigated to ensure that no adult ads were being displayed on the site. If you see one in the future that is not all ages appropriate please feel free to send me a PM and I will triage the report as needed.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for answering some questions Dezstravus!

Obviously adult sites a big no, no but should we also send you information on which audio/video advertisements are being played as well?
    Or should we simply post here citing any advertisements we found overly intrusive to our wiki experience?
  • Options
    ofkathriaofkathria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    izatar wrote: »

Correction: the word "put" by itself is just fine. But heaven help you if you happen to put the word "a" after it.
  • Options
    ulfghuldulfghuld Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    Saw this post, then launched the Wiki. First ad was for Playboy magazine...
    Ulfghuld Bonebreaker - "The only good orc is a dead orc!"