test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MMORPGs and daggers...

number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Off Topic
I've been noticing a trend, lately, in MMORPGs concerning daggers. They're freaking huge! Big enough that I'm pretty sure they're not daggers, but instead are shortswords. Among those who seem to do this is Neverwinter, AION, and Age of Wushu (of the ones I can think of off the top of my head). Can someone enlighten me to this trend? Cause it's starting to get distracting.

Also, why can't they just call these weapons shortswords?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    its to fit in their giant hands lol i have noticed this also i blame dragon age for this trend lol
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Guess not every dev can see 20/20 so they make them bigger and bigger? dunno.
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's probably just that, if they made daggers the proper size, they would be hard-pressed to distinguish them from one another, visually. Especially in an action paced MMO, it would almost look like the rogues were bare-handed, the dagger's would be so thin/short.

Granted, they maybe shouldn't CALL them daggers considering their size, but that's more of an old-school habit, I think. In TERA, the closest rogue analog (the Warrior) doesn't even make any bones about it and uses two GIANT swords (practically a greatsword in each hand, but that's the exaggerated anime sword look).
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Historically, daggers have included single-edged, double-edged and even un-edged (stiletto) thrusting knives with blades as long as about 20" or so in length. So, the daggers pictured in NW look about right to me.

Short swords were the standard one-handed sword with blades from about 24" to 36" long. Surprisingly short when handled in comparison with what you commonly see in Hollywood movies.

Long swords were actually often used two-handed, whereas in D&D they are the default one-handed sword. Incidentally, these would also be dwarfed by the one-handed swords seen in films.
  • Options
    ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    *shrugs* Despite them being called "daggers", I've always considered them to be shortswords. They fit better, thematically, to me.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Historically, daggers have included single-edged, double-edged and even un-edged (stiletto) thrusting knives with blades as long as about 20" or so in length. So, the daggers pictured in NW look about right to me.

Short swords were the standard one-handed sword with blades from about 24" to 36" long. Surprisingly short when handled in comparison with what you commonly see in Hollywood movies.

Long swords were actually often used two-handed, whereas in D&D they are the default one-handed sword. Incidentally, these would also be dwarfed by the one-handed swords seen in films.
    But these weapons were larger than my character's (a half-elf) forearm which would have made the weapon around the size of a shortsword.

And my issue isn't so much that I'm using shortswords with my rogue, my issue is with calling them daggers.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But these weapons were larger than my character's (a half-elf) forearm which would have made the weapon around the size of a shortsword.

And my issue isn't so much that I'm using shortswords with my rogue, my issue is with calling them daggers.

Unless your half-elf is 7 feet tall his forearms are probably not going to be longer than 20"...
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think people confuse daggger with knife. There isn't a huge difference between a dagger and a short sword, generally just a few inches in the blade and I think the handle being different. The 6" and 9" type blades are knives, not daggers.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I didn't say that his forearm is longer than 20 inches. Though I did some measurements and the blade (tip to guard) is just about 20 inches. But doesn't the length of the blade also count the tang (the part that extends it the hilt)?
  • Options
    itsneoitsneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 74
    edited March 2013
    I didn't say that his forearm is longer than 20 inches. Though I did some measurements and the blade (tip to guard) is just about 20 inches. But doesn't the length of the blade also count the tang (the part that extends it the hilt)?

The length of the blade, is just that the length of the blade ABOVE the hilt. The length of the dagger/sword/dirk is the length of the blade + length of the tang.

Which brings to question, what is considered the "standard" average length of the following;

Dirk?
    Dagger?
    Short sword?
    Sword?
    Long sword?
    Great sword?

Does anyone have an idea as to what the "standard" average lengths of each of the above are?

IGN: DrDoom
    CLS: Heretic
    SVR: Atlantis
    IND ID:1000165G030200060007250S15fb1f

Whatever your imagination wills it to be. :)