test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player Housing

2»

Comments

• Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Player housing tends to be a waste of resources, gimmicky, & generally ignored by the majority of the player base.

Guild "housing" (mayhaps just a separate instance that only spawns when needed) would make more sense.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    panthro8panthro8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    swg had it and a lot of players liked it plus eventually you need somewhere to call home
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    panthro8 wrote: »
    swg had it and a lot of players liked it plus eventually you need somewhere to call home
    I shouldn't have to point this out, but this is not SWG. There isn't even an open world to speak of. It's also worth pointing out that player owned structures served a purpose and eventually lead to siege warfare.
  • Options
    myschaellamyschaella Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    If mostly think player housing is a waste of time. However Guild halls are awesome and really increase the social aspect of a game.
    There has also been a new vid put up on youtube after PAX of the proposed housing for Wildstar, this looks really amazing and is something I would invest time and money in. If a housing system like this was introduced into Neverwinter it would be brilliant, it would give so much scope for creativity due to the foundry and raise Neverwinter up as a possible all time classic game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elliennaellienna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fleet starbases were introduced in STO, another PWE game, several months ago. The fleet (guild) can obtain a basic starbase and through donating fleet marks, commodities, NPC officers and dilithium, they can level up the base and each tier provides new benefits to the fleet.

Our base was very basic and we are a small RP guild, but through the dedication of just a few members, we've seen our base grow and it's provided a tremendous sense of achievement.

The base is instanced, but there is no limit to the amount of people able to dock and non-fleet members can be invited to the instance.

I could see this working well in NW. I would love to start off with a basic building and see guild endeavours gradually improving it. Perhaps something similar to the Moonstone Mask.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think they need to have both player and guild housing and this is why
    If you only have guild housing then a large % of players will make thier
    Own Vanity guild just for the option to have housing for themself
    or people who make a guild and invite people just for help making thier home

Having Player housing gets a lot of the vanity guild people out of the
    guild system and makes the guilds that are there much more likly to thrive
    My guild almost died several times cause a lot of my recruiters desided to
    make thier own guild cause offering them decorating rights wasn't enough.

I am also a big fan of player hosing being instanced and not actual due to
    people fighting over best locations and having abandoned housing tracts
    like in SWG and LOTRO.

This game is perfectly set up for personal lodgings as you could just use the
    Town gate to "warp" to wherever your home "lot" is. or for people who
    want city lodgings they can have various "doors" that take you to a small
    townhouse.

possibly even have rentable rooms in taverns for a small fee you get a key
    object that lasts x hours. and you pay to recharge it. the room would be
    generic non decoratable but maybe have a foot locker to store your stuff.
    and some shelves for trophys. if your key vanishes the stuff is delivered
    to your bank.
  • Options
    gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In LOTRO housing was huge!!!

Now the housing estates are all a wasteland of "locked" houses that have been abandoned..:(
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
  • Options
    panthro8panthro8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to point this out, but this is not SWG. There isn't even an open world to speak of. It's also worth pointing out that player owned structures served a purpose and eventually lead to siege warfare.

I shouldn't have to point out that I was making a point about a game that was very popular and had a loyal fan base like d&d does.
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    panthro8 wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to point out that I was making a point about a game that was very popular and had a loyal fan base like d&d does.

Apples and oranges. SWG was a completely different game, not just in gameplay or IP, but in it's construction. Neverwinter does not have the capacity for the same things that SWG did.

Edit: Also, let's wait until AFTER the game is released before we conclude just how loyal that fanbase is, yeah?
  • Options
    elliennaellienna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Now the housing estates are all a wasteland of "locked" houses that have been abandoned..:(

LotRO housing is receiving an update this year.

Further to my earlier post, a portal similar to the one to the Moonstone Mask could transport members to their guild base. The systen would identify the guild and move the member to the relevent structure, similar to the way fleet bases work in STO.

Ideally, a personal house would be my preference, but I'll wait until The Repopulation launches for that ;)
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Keyword: "Was"
    Player housing be gimmicky. Heck, hats be less of a gimmick than player houses.
    Unless you design the game to be like Second Life where the whole point of the game revolves around virtual property, it be just a silly and will be vastly ignored.

What else are you going to do in a virtual box other than a few hours of roleplay? (And aye. Few, if anyone, will care about your house.)
    ('-')

Guild houses on the other hand tends to be slightly less gimmicky. (I.E: Place the Guild Bank NPC inside the guild house & other stuff to make it a bit more functional...seeing as how player characters don't need to rest, eat, or anything like that.)

Otherwise people will realize that the magic of the guild chat lets them communicate without having to waste time assembling at a guild house.

What be a more likely scenario?
    1) Bob: Hey guys, lets kill [Insert end game boss here].
    Joe: Sure, I'm solo questing at the moment but lets queue up.
    *Insert 3 more guildmates*
    Bob: /invite Joe + 3 others.
    *Party teleports into dungeon & has fun.*

or

2) Bob: Hey, guys lets kill [Insert boss here]
    Joe: Sure, I'm solo questing at the moment but let me just spend 4 minutes running back towards our guild house & then we'll queue.
    Bob: (☼_☼)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    Edit: Also, let's wait until AFTER the game is released before we conclude just how loyal that fanbase is, yeah?

To be fair, there's at least some carry-over from the Baldur's Gate/NWN fans. A lot of these people are going to be rabid NW fans regardless, and I include myself in that category. While I agree that we can't draw conclusions as to the potential success (or lack thereof), but I anticipate there being a very loyal group of core fans.

As far as player housing versus guild halls, I think guild halls can accomplish what players want from housing, if it's done correctly. Let guild members customize certain areas of the hall, let them store lewt, and so on. The question is how much control individual players have over specific spaces.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder how easy it would be to make a 'house' in the Foundry... Anyone thought of doing that once NW launches?
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    I wonder how easy it would be to make a 'house' in the Foundry... Anyone thought of doing that once NW launches?

Why think of a house when you can have a flying fortress?
  • Options
    cerek2cerek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited March 2013
    The thing I like most about housing is the fact that Cryptic/PWE can make money selling fluffy items for the player housing. The more money made from fluff, the less money made from P2Win. It also gives people something else to do. I would include the heads as trophies off of monsters killed and add cool stuff like a gambling room, who doesn't like playing slots ? just an idea.
  • Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just a few ideas:

Small house, 500z, looks like the interiors of the few small buildings in naverwinter, player load 5
    Large Home, 800-1000z, similar to appearance as a small house but larger interior, player load 10

Ocean Side Villa, 1500z+, wide open yard, large open air building in the middle, player load 20

Mercenary Barracks, 1500+, wide open yard, small central bunk house, player load 20, includes "strawmen" that can be attacked for practice.

Small Palace, 2000+, huge open yard, stawmen to the side for the "house guards", large open air central palace.

all these structures would have access to mail and bank.

In Champs, these are called "Hideouts" and along with bank access, there is an account bank for sharing items across all your characters.

A mount can cost $20, u think a house would be cheaper?? Try $100, if scaled a little more realistically.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    llelowyn13 wrote: »
    A mount can cost $20, u think a house would be cheaper?? Try $100, if scaled a little more realistically.

I would pay that for a guild base.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    llelowyn13 wrote: »

Guild housing is something that should be earned by a guild's collaborative effort. If they charge real money for guild housing, that will be the end of the line for many many guilds. The game should always make it easy and free to gather and play.

Guilds should have no limits placed on it such as 5 man parties and level 15 prereqs. Those artificial governors do far more to inconvenience guild leaders than they add quality to the game. In fact, it means family guilds can't form a guild unless they are bringing in 5 family members... That's terrible.

I understand to decorate and maybe for upkeep of voluntary amenities. But if you need to buy in, it will bar guild life in the game for many. Guilds are too strong a social avenue for us players, and too much a money stream for Cryptic. People that game together seem to stay together longer.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As for player housing, I say sure. They are typically used for storage of gear, decorating and such. I'd like to see them dip into SWG and UO for ideas. Heres the thing though, if its going to be robust, do it. If its not going to be a trend setter, and it look like it was stapled on with a Family Dollar stapler, then forget it.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    doug200463doug200463 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    You're going to get boiler plate housing, much like the system currently in Champions.

They'll probably add yet ANOTHER currency in the game, that lets you accrue points to expand the base or put nifty "trophies" and stuff on the wall. But it will be something fairly fast and cheap. Then of course, there will be stuff in the Zen market to make your base even prettier or a bit more unique.

It will probably come out six to nine months post-release and it will be, I predict, incredibly underwhelming. :)

It will only be underwhelming if they make it that way! Look at Rift Dimensions.. Amazing! Other than that there has not been a main stream MMO that has taken the time to create a worth while housing system.. Look at Ultima Online.. that game continues to wipe the floor with modern mmo's when it comes to housing! and its almost 15 years old!
    Clerics need a BUFF! Not a Nerf! Or create another healing class thats able to heal a group well...
  • Options
    doug200463doug200463 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You need to get housing into a game early.. and allow it to evolve.. dont just throw some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> together, like Turbine did with Lotro...
    Clerics need a BUFF! Not a Nerf! Or create another healing class thats able to heal a group well...
  • Options
    hobieonehobieone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    star trek online, which this game uses the same and engine and systems your starship is your house so i don't see why not
This discussion has been closed.