test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Confirmation On "Hero Of The North" Exclusivity?

paraspectreparaspectre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've seen a couple posts around the forum where assumptions have been made on the exclusivity of Hero packs, but I'd like a real confirmation from a dev.

For example, will the spider mount be available to everyone? The aura glow?

How many of these items did we pay $200 for, that will be available to everyone else, just at a slightly higher price?

I'm a member of a large community, and this is a very important topic over there, and it's influencing a lot of peoples decisions. I'd like to be able to report back and say something to the effect of "nope, the only way to get the armored spider is to buy the 'Hero of the North' pack."
Post edited by paraspectre on

Comments

• bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I bet they will add different type of spider mount eventually. I would think they would even eventually add the drow too, I mean some people just want the spider, some prolly just want the drow background. They would make more money that way, but I would hope they didn't sell that stuff for say a year out.

Only time will tell, if it was me I would sell that stuff again as single items, but as a high price they would be insane to make prices lower then the founders package... hahahah I said package bwhahahahaha. I do like the spider and will get one if they ever put it in cash shop.
  • korbanhodkorbanhod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    It's the typical marketing scheme, where things are exclusive untill the game has been around for a few mounts and they suddenly pop up in the ingame stores for everyone to buy.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I personally could give two damns about exclusivity, it's not why I bought the pack. My enjoyment of MMO goes goes way beyond having something that very few people don't.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • paraspectreparaspectre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I personally could give two damns about exclusivity, it's not why I bought the pack. My enjoyment of MMO goes goes way beyond having something that very few people don't.

This isn't about having something that others don't, it's about confirming whether the people who DO NOT buy the pack will have access to the items later on, thusly allowing them to decide to go cheap now and pay later, or buy now.

That being said, it's about fiscal responsibility more than anything else.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's been confirmed that drow will be available to other players, however, the background that we get will be exclusive to Hero of the North buyers. I guess the mount and panther will be the same, they might sell reskins of the mount and the pet later on, but I doubt they will sell the exact same skin versions.
  • witchzerowitchzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    The Founder Packs are bundles. Most, if not all of the Items, Mounts, Astral Diamonds, etc. will be available from the store. That is why it says a $549 value. I would assume if you bought everything piece by piece from the store it would cost $549.

There are Unique items that will only be available to the Hero of the North Founder Pack Holders. It says on the page what those items are. http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/hero

Moonstone Regular Regalia
    Founder Aura Enchant
    VIP Access (skip server que)

The one thing that I'm curious about is the "DUNGEON MASTER UNLOCK Start creating your own quests in The Foundry immediately". What does that mean? Do other people not have the ability to start using the Foundry immediately?
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Totally agree.
  • huntresslilithhuntresslilith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
    edited February 2013
    witchzero wrote: »
    Moonstone Regular Regalia
    Founder Aura Enchant
    VIP Access (skip server que)

Don't forget the Founder's title on the forums that is another Exclusive.
    edited February 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    It's been confirmed that drow will be available to other players, however, the background that we get will be exclusive to Hero of the North buyers. I guess the mount and panther will be the same, they might sell reskins of the mount and the pet later on, but I doubt they will sell the exact same skin versions.

Yeah but people that get their panties in a bunch about stuff like that will most likely say that a reskin is the same thing as selling the same mount.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    witchzero wrote: »
    The one thing that I'm curious about is the "DUNGEON MASTER UNLOCK Start creating your own quests in The Foundry immediately". What does that mean? Do other people not have the ability to start using the Foundry immediately?

No, players will have to raise a character to level 15 before unlocking the foundry, HotN unlock it immediately, essentially meaning you don't have to play a minute of the game to create content.

Also, I believe you are correct about the rest of the items/features sold in the pack.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I personally could give two damns about exclusivity,...

right... but, I think this question was more for the folks that 'DO' give a damn about exclusivity, for some of them - it's the difference of putting down $200 bucks or not.

nice to know your not one of them I suppose, but your really not affected by the answer to this one way or another, where as there are a bunch of people that are.

Though I don't see why anyone would be interested - I'll state my 'stand' for the record - I fall somewhat in the middle - in that ya, it would be cool if I (and the other $200 package buying vanguard game supporters,) got somethings that were truly 'exclusive' (especially since that is how they were advertised.) but, having lived long enough, I'm filled with Skepticism I hate seeing advertising like this, because I know how 'rare' it is for them to really fulfill their promises.

Already they instantly break a promise, by not providing 'immediate' access to the founders tools like their Add says - so, with that 'advertising gaff' starting us out - we can be pretty well assured, that at some point, the other 'exclusive' items will be offered on the store.

I like to think that when these things happen, they aren't 'planned in' from the get go, like a 'Lets advertise it in the founders package as 'exclusive' and then wait 6 months, and offer the Moonstone Regular Regalia to everyone.'

instead, I like to think that perhaps the fellow that did the marketing, moved on, left the company or perhaps even ownership was traded, and at some point some one looked at the 'popular assets' and said 'why aren't we offering THESE things in the shop!??!" and in they go.

Most likely it's a 'perception' as to what is acceptable as 'exclusive' - these days, you have some AAA titles released 'exclusively' on one console or another - but 'exclusive' really means "Exclusive!... -small print- for three weeks."

I think that mentality is pretty common in most marketing departments.

Either way, the result is the same - rarely do 'exclusives' end up being truly 'exclusive'.

There Storm Dragon, we heard your thoughts, and now the world has mine. :-) thanks for reading.

it would be nice to have an official response... if only to make it more fun in the inevitable 'rant' threads later down the road when we find the Hero of the North supporter package items for sell to everyone. We can then pull our screen shot's of the 'official response' and feel all the more justified in our 3 pages of 'why you are being a jerk.' threads.

zWolf.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Regarding the advertised 'Immediate Access to the Foundry' advertisement.
    chili1179 wrote: »
    No, players will have to raise a character to level 15 before unlocking the foundry, HotN unlock it immediately, essentially meaning you don't have to play a minute of the game to create content.

Also, I believe you are correct about the rest of the items/features sold in the pack.

This is all well and good, the 'other' Fine print, that you can find if you dig deep enough into the dark recesses of the forums, is that all of the rewards, are not 'guaranteed' until the game is released.

with some more foraging, you can find threads detailing exactly what is offered for the 1st beta weekend from the founders packages.

BUT, lets just say, Hypothetically of course, that the developers had the tools ready for creating Foundry Content... this is not much of a stretch of the imagination, because well... they DO, we saw user made content made with the Foundry Tools in the 1st Beta Weekend - and some of it was awesome! (but I digress.)

so, in my hypothetical world, the tools are done, AND the marketing dept. decides that would be an AWESOME perk to add to the $200 Hero of the North package - to let the purchasers of that package get a head start on developing content with the foundry tools!

how do you think that they would advertise such an awesome thing?

It's really not much of a reach to see them saying something like, oh ... I don't know, how about:

[h=5]DUNGEON MASTER UNLOCK[/h]
    Start creating your own quests in The Foundry immediately.
    ya, that might work!

Soooo - what you have is an advertisement, that COULD have been clarified, but is left up to interpretation - or at least left to further research.

Bottom line is, I REALLY wish that they would clarify that - all they have to do is just make it say something like:

"Start creating your own quests in The Foundry immediately, instead of at level 15."

better yet, state it like this:

DUNGEON MASTER UNLOCK
    Start creating your own quests in THE FOUNDRY right from the start of your adventure!

that's the one I like - I then know that I have to at LEAST start my adventure before I can create content - when you put the word 'Immediately' in there, and you are referring to a tool set like content creation tools - it's EASY to hope that it means you can start NOW, TODAY - as soon as you plunk down $200.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    More then likely they items in the packs wont hit the store. Or if they did it wouldnt be for a while. Ive played other games that have items exclusive to people who bought a preorder pack and those items months after launch are still not available. Lotta people dont want to gamble on a newer game, then 2-3 months later kick themselves in the butt for not taking a leap of faith.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    the game hasnt been released. They broke no promises..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • korbanhodkorbanhod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    The reason why you would want to know how "exclusive" these items are going to be, is because it is right out a lie in communication IF these items go on sale on a later date.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's my breakdown based on wording and experience. This is by no means definitive of course. Just the way I see it working out.

Menzoberranzan Renegade will never go on sale, but as already stated anyone can make a Drow with a different background origin for free. Faerie Fire will probably be unique to Drow with this background but may be available to other races like Eladrin.

HotN Armored Spider mount will never go on sale, but other spider mounts in different colors and/or unarmored or different armor most assuredly will. Not doing so would be a terrible waste of work on the animations alone.

HotN Panther companion will never go on sale, but other color panthers, armored panthers, and other cats with very similar models probably will.

Founder's Armor Aura will never be sold, but other auras will be. Some may be similar but distinguishable.

Gold Moonstone Mask Regalia will never be sold. But there may be other ways to gain access to the VIP lounge.

Founder's title will never be sold.

Nothing else really implies exclusivity. Even the VIP access doesn't actually say it is exclusive.
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's my breakdown based on wording and experience. This is by no means definitive of course. Just the way I see it working out.

Menzoberranzan Renegade will never go on sale, but as already stated anyone can make a Drow with a different background origin for free. Faerie Fire will probably be unique to Drow with this background but may be available to other races like Eladrin.

HotN Armored Spider mount will never go on sale, but other spider mounts in different colors and/or unarmored or different armor most assuredly will. Not doing so would be a terrible waste of work on the animations alone.

HotN Panther companion will never go on sale, but other color panthers, armored panthers, and other cats with very similar models probably will.

Founder's Armor Aura will never be sold, but other auras will be. Some may be similar but distinguishable.

Gold Moonstone Mask Regalia will never be sold. But there may be other ways to gain access to the VIP lounge.

Nothing else really implies exclusivity. Even the VIP access doesn't actually say it is exclusive.

This^

I'd be expecting them to sell re-skins and account unlocks for all the things that can take different skins and can be unlocked.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013

This is common sense everybody!
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited February 2013
    This is common sense everybody!

Yeah, but how much you want to bet when a new skin of something that is in the founders pack comes out that the forums explode with "you said it would be exclusive" screaming. :)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    This thread has been pruned of Off Topic, Flaming and Cryptic Bashing.

As for the topic at hand I have no information on it. I hope are exactly as silvergryph stated but I have not seen or been given any specific word from Cryptic/PWE.
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is Cryptic. Expect everything, except the Founder's title, to be available on the market eventually.

BTW, the devs will almost certainly not comment on this. Even if they mean it today, they know that things can change.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This thread has been pruned of ... Cryptic Bashing.
    People are not allowed to say anything bad about Cryptic? And this is an "enforced by mod" policy?
  • ryo2810ryo2810 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I kind of wish they would list out what makes it the value that they said it is if anything. What exactly makes it a value of $549. They must have some idea because of the number. If it all did release on the store and came out to be a value under that it would be somewhat disappointing.
    edited February 2013
    People are not allowed to say anything bad about Cryptic? And this is an "enforced by mod" policy?

Constructive criticism and negative opinions are allowed. Just look around the forums and you will find tons of it. What they do not allow is mindless bashing and namecalling of Cryptic without making a point. This is a privately owned forum and they have every right to police and censor it as they choose. I am actually surprised at a lot of the stuff they let stand.
    edited February 2013
    ryo2810 wrote: »
    I kind of wish they would list out what makes it the value that they said it is if anything. What exactly makes it a value of $549. They must have some idea because of the number. If it all did release on the store and came out to be a value under that it would be somewhat disappointing.

The exchange for Astral Diamonds to ZEN is going to have a value range limited to between 25 and 500 AD per ZEN. So, if you put your ZEN on the exchange at the best rate (which of course everyone should do until it gets hard to find buyers) then you could sell the 750,000 AD for 75k/25=30,000 ZEN. That is $300.00 worth of ZEN. I am pretty sure that is the bulk of the advertised value. Of course, you will have to act quickly to get that much before the market shifts.

Edit: The 25-500 AD/ZEN limit is not officially announced. I am sure I heard it in one of the videos but I can't find it to confirm. It is the limit currently set for Dilithium in the STO store and it would fit nicely in the claimed value of the HotN pack.
  • paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013
    ITT: people who live vicariously through video games to the point that they get angry if their characters aren't more "special" than most people's
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Constructive criticism and negative opinions are allowed. Just look around the forums and you will find tons of it. What they do not allow is mindless bashing and namecalling of Cryptic without making a point. This is a privately owned forum and they have every right to police and censor it as they choose. I am actually surprised at a lot of the stuff they let stand.

The problem with THIS is that, more often than not, there IS a point to the Cryptic bashing.

Take this very thread for example. TC wants Cryptic to basically guarantee that everything in the Founder's Pack is, in fact, exclusive to the Founder's pack, meaning that people will never get them without having bought the Founder's Pack.

Cryptic won't do such, because chances are at least a few of the items WILL end up on the C-Store. Their previous games all had "exclusive" items for particular purchasers, and most of those "exclusive" items lost their exclusivity very quickly after the game launched.

However, the mere pointing out of this irrefutable FACT gets modded.
    edited February 2013
    Take this very thread for example. TC wants Cryptic to basically guarantee that everything in the Founder's Pack is, in fact, exclusive to the Founder's pack, meaning that people will never get them without having bought the Founder's Pack.

They state which things are exclusive quite clearly. What more do you want? They already have made the guarantee by stating it in writing. Unless they break that promise there isn't anything to complain about. As for as your claim that they have broken such promises in the past, do you have any specifics? I am a Lifetime subscriber to CO, pre-ordered and played beta. I am not aware of anything that was promised to be "exclusive" to me for any of that winding up available to others.

As I posted earlier in this thread however, it is to be expected that similar items will be available by other means later on. And as long as they are not 100% exactly the same in every way to something specifically described as being exclusive they won't be breaking any promises.
    edited February 2013
    The problem with THIS is that, more often than not, there IS a point to the Cryptic bashing.

Cryptic won't do such, because chances are at least a few of the items WILL end up on the C-Store. Their previous games all had "exclusive" items for particular purchasers, and most of those "exclusive" items lost their exclusivity very quickly after the game launched.

However, the mere pointing out of this irrefutable FACT gets modded.

Point it out, give us a specific examples of where they have done this, rather than stamping your feet, screaming over and over "THEY LIE THEY LIE" but never providing any specifics. Otherwise it is just slander.
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    Point it out, give us a specific examples of where they have done this, rather than stamping your feet, screaming over and over "THEY LIE THEY LIE" but never providing any specifics. Otherwise it is just slander.
    Here ya go:
    http://www.1up.com/news/star-trek-online-preorder-incentives

Of the "exclusive" items listed there, the classic USS Enterprise, the tribble and targ pets, and the Liberated Borg bridge officer are now available through the store. People clamored for these items - I don't recall anyone asking for the others - so, basically, if people wanted it, Cryptic put it up for sale.

And, yes, folks complained bitterly that the word "exclusive" didn't actually mean what they thought it meant.

For the record, I didn't care then and I don't care now about exclusivity - I actually laughed when the "exclusive" items went on the store. Just figured I'd pass this on so the lot of you would be informed.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos