test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Class builds from 4e

oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
I compiled a list of class builds from the 4th edition books that I could find. I had never paid much attention to them before. I don't think a poll would work with this many entries. The one's in green are already in, I'd like to see the ones in yellow developed for Neverwinter next and more than a few of the others down the line.

Players Handbook

Battle Cleric
Devoted Cleric
Great Weapon Fighter
Guardian Fighter
Avenging Paladin
Protecting Paladin
Archer Ranger
Two-Blade Ranger

Brawny Rogue
Trickster Rogue
Deceptive Warlock
Scourge Warlock
Inspiring Warlord
Tactical Warlord
Control Wizard
War Wizard

Players Handbook 2

Isolating Avenger
Pursuing Avenger
Rageblood Barbarian
Thaneborn Barbarian
Cunning Bard
Valorous Bard
Guardian Druid
Predator Druid
Preserving Invoker
Wrathful Invoker
Bear Shaman
Panther Shaman
Chaos Sorcerer
Dragon Sorcerer
Earth Warden
Life Warden

Players Handbook 3

Enlightened Ardent
Euphoric Ardent
Resilient Battlemind
Quick Battlemind
Centered Breath Monk
Stone Fist Monk
Telekinetic Psion
Telepathic Psion
Defiant Runepriest
Wrathful Runepriest
Protecting Seeker
Vengeful Seeker

Forgotten Realms Players Guide

Assault Swordmage
Shielding Swordmage

Dragon Magazine 379

Bleak Disciple Assassin

Night Stalker Assassin

Neverwinter Campaign Setting

Wizard(Bladesinger)

Heroes of Shadow

Paladin(Blackguard)

Heroes of the Feywild

Wizard(Witch)
e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
Post edited by oldskylancer on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There are a lot more in the various "[X] Power" books. I don't have them available to list them, but there are a ton of them.
  • sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What's the Brawny Rogue like? Is he a rogue/tank? Just curious never had the chance to get into 4E..

I wouldn't mind seeing more classes that would be cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    sakuda13 wrote: »
    What's the Brawny Rogue like? Is he a rogue/tank? Just curious never had the chance to get into 4E..

I wouldn't mind seeing more classes that would be cool

The Brawny Rogue build takes the Brutal Scoundral Rogue Tactic option, and gets +STR mod to sneak attack damage. He's not a tank, just a STR-secondary build.

In contrast, Trickster Rogue takes the Artful Dodger option, and gets +CHA mod to AC vs opportunity attacks.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I would love to see a Swordmage class in this game. It reminds me of the classic elves in the original D&D.
  • gammanshadowrushgammanshadowrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm, where's the Tempest Fighter? I can't remember what handbook it's from, but it's the one I actually want the most out of any build. If only we have the Tempest Fighter soon, because right now I'm gonna have to pick between GWF and Trickster Rogue at launch. But really, Tempest Fighter is the closest to the character concept for the character I'm planning to recreate from my old D&D sessions.

But, considering we already have two fighter classes it will probably take a long time for one to be made. And I'm worried that when/if they do add Tempest Fighter... I'll probably have to reroll my main to turn him into a Tempest Fighter. I hope there will be a way to pay to change ones class in the future, or I guess I could just level all over again just to have the class I want.
    edited February 2013
    Tempest Fighter is in Martial Power.

I doubt we'll see it, at least not for a long time. Ranger will fill the dual-wield niche first, I expect. If the Ranger build is like 4E it'll be pretty Fighter-ish, though. 4E Rangers aren't actually all that "nature-y", outside of power names.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Assault Swordmage

picard_make_it_so_number_1_display.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    The Brawny Rogue build takes the Brutal Scoundral Rogue Tactic option, and gets +STR mod to sneak attack damage. He's not a tank, just a STR-secondary build.

In contrast, Trickster Rogue takes the Artful Dodger option, and gets +CHA mod to AC vs opportunity attacks.

So your saying my Ability points should of been put in Dex and Cha during beta weekend 1? Sorry I jsut didnt see any benefit to Charisma from the character screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    yeah, agreed and I would love to see some of the larger and or more exotic races added to be able to play after launch like other games have done ,,,
    such as Orc, Minotaur, Half Giant - Golliath..... good for fighters or barbarians

perhaps some monsters like Lich, Vampire

and animal like characters like Rakshasa ,,Werewolf, Dragonborn , LizardFolk , Catfolk etc

would love to see classes like Ranger, Bard, Druid ,Barbarian ,WarMage ,SwordMage, Assassin ,Monk so much possibility!
    COME WITH ME !
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think this game even uses all the real stuff from D&D official rules.

Most of this stuff should be able to be made from day 1 like in D&D Online, but they made character depth almost non-existent in Neverwinter how i see it. Each "class" in this game seems to be a build instead of being able to choose a base class and then pathing off into builds how D&D really is played.

So, if it has taken them years to develop just 5 builds, how long would it take to add 20? or hopefully are they just holding them off to sell in the cash shop?
  • ygwildygwild Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Too many Strikers in your list of classes you want added. You need Balance. A Protecting Paladin is a great Tank, not as good as a Guardian Fighter, but close(the self heals help). And only one Controller total, the Control Wizard, yes some of the others you mentioned can be decent at control, but you need variety. I dare you to run a 4e PnP game as the DM where all your players have chosen Strikers. Itll be a short session without DM cheat roles.....
  • okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    they dont have artificers in 4.0? really? but they are so cool!

did wizards remove the class in 4.0 or is there a class like them but under a different name?
    edited February 2013
    also why pregen classes why not have the option to go pregen but have advanced building for those familiar with D&D games?

the character builds and skill system is very un D&D imo.
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Too many Strikers in your list of classes you want added. You need Balance. A Protecting Paladin is a great Tank, not as good as a Guardian Fighter, but close(the self heals help). And only one Controller total, the Control Wizard, yes some of the others you mentioned can be decent at control, but you need variety. I dare you to run a 4e PnP game as the DM where all your players have chosen Strikers. Itll be a short session without DM cheat roles.....

Dibbo, Guardian of Neverwinter
    http://takzu.com/forums/index.php

dood relax
    I have a life didn't have time or will to do in depth research project, I was just making quick suggestions off the top of my skull,, in the final game
    its the developers job to balance and widdle down whats needed I just suggested some... u need to find a girl , lol
    COME WITH ME !
    edited February 2013
    also why pregen classes why not have the option to go pregen but have advanced building for those familiar with D&D games?

the character builds and skill system is very un D&D imo.

agreed and maybe adding prestige class like ddo would solve both our ideas more classes and customization
    COME WITH ME !
    edited February 2013
    agreed and maybe adding prestige class like ddo would solve both our ideas more classes and customization

hopefully, DDO shows its age and has its share of bugs, but still a solid great "TRUE" D&D mmo.
  • daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Assault Swordmage

picard_make_it_so_number_1_display.jpg

Agreed! I'm dying for an arcane caster / fighter combo, and any variation for now will do
  • razorjack156razorjack156 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So death ... u created this long list of classes, posted it, highlighted your personal preferences without thought .. and then tell someone else to get a life because THEY obviously don't have one? Seriously?

Anyways, Swordmage is a distinct possibility since it did originate in this setting, although as a largely guardian role I would see the more popular Paladin being implemented before swordmage would.

As for DDO, it loosely represents 3.x, not 4E. They are very different, why wouldnt the games be different?
    edited February 2013
    So death ... u created this long list of classes, posted it, highlighted your personal preferences without thought .. and then tell someone else to get a life because THEY obviously don't have one? Seriously?

Anyways, Swordmage is a distinct possibility since it did originate in this setting, although as a largely guardian role I would see the more popular Paladin being implemented before swordmage would.

As for DDO, it loosely represents 3.x, not 4E. They are very different, why wouldnt the games be different?

Wrong Sir,, I never said I posted without thought, that was you inferring that.. what I said was I posted a few off the top of my head, and didn't classify my list or suggestions into optimal offensive or defensive strategy,, just a few classes and races I wanna see and play.. the list was again a list to have a few chosen from,, not all , not only,,
    as for DDO I know all about DDO I was a early beta testor for it, and played it for years..

god now I see why the poor developers and moderators get frustrated with a forum users who take things out of context, or infer things that were never implied or said.. ie looking through the trees to see forest etc ,, sometimes the simple answer is the right one
    COME WITH ME !
  • oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I saw artificers but they were sourced in the Eberron campaign setting so I left them out. Also didn't go into the Heroes of the Fallen lands, I was trying to stay Forgotten Realms specific but who knows once they get to cranking classes maybe we'll get to see the all.

I too, would love to see the sword mage it's one of my favorite classes.

You're right, my wishlist is striker heavy but it's just a wishlist, I wanted to start a debate to see what classes players were interested in seeing developed. No need for the flames.

• lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Gotta have a shaman!, and wot no deathknight!?
    Diffinately say they did one for 4 edition:)
    https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dreo/20071003a
    what about necromancers? or other mancers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    So your saying my Ability points should of been put in Dex and Cha during beta weekend 1? Sorry I jsut didnt see any benefit to Charisma from the character screen.

I was talking about 4E PnP, not Neverwinter. Neverwinter is entirely different, and has almost no relation to any D&D mechanics whatsoever, 4E or otherwise.
    they dont have artificers in 4.0? really? but they are so cool!

did wizards remove the class in 4.0 or is there a class like them but under a different name?

Artificer is in the Eberron sourcebook, same as in 3.5.
  • ultimombraultimombra Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I THINK IT'S GOING THIS WAY PLUS SOME PERSONAL DESIRES:)

GREEN ARE ALREADY IN
    YELLOWS ARE SURELY TO COME NEXT EARLY BECAUSE OF D&D LORE
    BLUE ALSO NECESSARY TO COMPLETE THE GAME
    VIOLETS ARE MY HOPE TO ROLEPLAY WITH OR AGAINST GOOD/EVIL ALIGMENTS

Players Handbook

Battle Cleric
    Devoted Cleric
    Great Weapon Fighter
    Guardian Fighter
    Avenging Paladin
    Protecting Paladin
    Archer Ranger
    Two-Blade Ranger

Brawny Rogue
    Trickster Rogue
    Deceptive Warlock
    Scourge Warlock

Inspiring Warlord
    Tactical Warlord
    Control Wizard
    War Wizard

Players Handbook 2

Isolating Avenger
    Pursuing Avenger
    Rageblood Barbarian
    Thaneborn Barbarian
    Cunning Bard
    Valorous Bard
    Guardian Druid
    Predator Druid

Preserving Invoker
    Wrathful Invoker
    Bear Shaman
    Panther Shaman
    Chaos Sorcerer
    Dragon Sorcerer
    Earth Warden
    Life Warden

Players Hope Evil Factions

Assassin
    Death Knight(vs Paladin)
    Necromancer
    (Maybe a contaminated class by Vampire/Werewolf's blood with some special abilities)
    The Unseen Knight
  • oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure but isn't a Blackguard like a Deathknight? I know there was a Deathknight class in some editions but back in my day they were monsters.

• lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Blackguards have similarities, though they are more a Paladin sect that decide to embrace the darker side of themselves, some necrotic and cold spells. Where as a death knight is created or cursed by a dark god, to serve that gods cause and commands the undead aswell as some necrotic and cold spells, though can also be hellfire type spells (ie is a officer of the undead). Though some break their obedience to the god.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Artificer is in the Eberron sourcebook, same as in 3.5.

so no artificers in the forgotten realms?
    edited February 2013
    so no artificers in the forgotten realms?

Traditionally, no, but as of 4E, all races and classes released in any official WotC content are considered canonical in Forgotten Realms, even those released in other campaign settings. So that includes Artificers and Warforged. I suspect some FR fans might chafe at including either, as much as I'd like to see them (especially the latter ;) )
  • eeynoeeyno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    How can both people who create lists leave the paladin out. The paladin makes a great tank one of the few with resists to fear, disease and other things.. Also the paladin has some interesting ways to keep agro compared to the guardian fighter. So for tanking choices they would have to add the protecting paladin. From what I remember in 4E the avenging paladin wasn't really that good anyway because it wasn't a strength build.

Also I was under the impression that there were not as many classes as being stated but different flavors and really it was stat choice and which at will and encounters you selected for your character.

Time to crack out the 4e books.
    edited February 2013
    lyfebane wrote: »
    Gotta have a shaman!, and wot no deathknight!?
    Diffinately say they did one for 4 edition:)
    https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dreo/20071003a
    what about necromancers? or other mancers?

yeah agree totally
    COME WITH ME !
  • ygwildygwild Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013

dood relax
    I have a life didn't have time or will to do in depth research project, I was just making quick suggestions off the top of my skull,, in the final game
    its the developers job to balance and widdle down whats needed I just suggested some... u need to find a girl , lol
    I am relaxed. I was just pointing out that you had too many strikers. No need to resort to insults. My opinion is as valid as yours. I could now take the time to defend myself, but, why feed the troll?