test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Guide] ==> Microsoft XBOX Controller for Windows Configuration <==

Comments

• enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I usually use Motionjoy emulated as 360 controller with a actual wired PS3 controller. The Xpadder is recognizing my controller and properly emulating it as a 360 but im not seeing anything actually working ingame.

EDIT: I popped open a Notepade to test and im getting input for WSAD but its not actually working in the game.

Edit #2: You can't run as Xpadder or NWO as Admin for this to work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I certainly hope the devs don't waste valuable time and resources in trying to implement support for controllers that should be plugged into their respective consoles.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Took little while but i got it fully mapped and ready to go for a PS3 wired controller.

L1 = Left Mouse
    R1 = Right Mouse
    R2 = Roll (disabled double tap roll option)
    L2 = Inspect(F key)
    Jump = Triangle
    Q Attack = X
    E Attack = O
    R Attack = DPad Right
    Tab = Square
    Mount = Dpad Up
    1 = Daily = DPad Left
    2 = Daily = DPad Down
    Left Stick = WSAD
    Right Stick = Mouse Look
    Start = Potions
    Select = Push-To-Talk
    D2 = Not Mapped Yet
    D3 = Not Mapped Yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Does Xpadder support chorded commands (two buttons held down at once)? Or assigning a key as a "shift" to change control bindings? For example, I would like to assign Encounter powers to X, Y, and B, but remap them to Daily/Special powers when the left bumper is held.
  • pion01pion01 Member Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Short on time so I skipped but I'd like to say I'd like official gamepad support for this game. Everything is pretty awesome but that would, for me, take it to a new level much like it did for CO and STO.
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So awesome. Thanks.
  • purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I tried and couldn't figure out how to use the Xbox controller. I bought a wireless Xbox controller for the pc just for this. Is there a easy way to explain how to get the controller to work? You know like a "Controller for Dummies" or something along those lines?
    Thanks
  • cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I tried and couldn't figure out how to use the Xbox controller. I bought a wireless Xbox controller for the pc just for this. Is there a easy way to explain how to get the controller to work? You know like a "Controller for Dummies" or something along those lines?
    Thanks

Most people use a wired controller first off. If you bought a wireless controller, do you have it even setup with windows in general? As for the game itself, in this past beta, it appeared that the controller option was disabled. Most folks are using xpadder (a paid application) or Joy2key (free but slightly harder to use) when it comes to xbox controllers. Not sure on ps3 controllers, but it is in this thread.

To me this game plays like a dream with a controller.
    edited March 2013
    You will need a wireless gaming receiver (like this one) for a wireless Xbox controller to work with a PC. The wired controller should work directly in a USB port. (Pending driver installation of course, but that should happen automatically.)

Also as cosmictimber said, native controller support seems to have been removed from Neverwinter since Beta Weekend 2. If it doesn't come back, you will need a third party app like Xpadder or Joy2key to translate the inputs.
  • kojekoje Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just wanted to add that I used Xpadder during beta 2. It took only a couple minutes to set up and worked like a charm. It was so much more fun playing with the xbox wireless controller.
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    fr0gurt wrote: »
    Does Xpadder support chorded commands (two buttons held down at once)? Or assigning a key as a "shift" to change control bindings? For example, I would like to assign Encounter powers to X, Y, and B, but remap them to Daily/Special powers when the left bumper is held.

Yes xpadder does...and it also lets you alter buttons for specific key strokes or actions....which you can control the timing with.

By the way if you run xpadder and it isn't working.....first off run it in administrator mode......if it still isn't working....that means you have never winter running in administrator mode.....in which case go into the options for neverwinter and turn it off...you don't actualy need it running in that mode.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    and so one among them hath made it come to pass - http://www.mediafire.com/?7tlcr2vqe77bv2u and on this day the people rejoiced and celebrated! for the one who stepped forth and bent reality, shaping it to her will!

lol - your all welcome XD

EXPLANATION: This is a very comprehensive and well thought out Xpadder profile for the wired xbox 360 controller , it feels very natural and lets you access every facet of the game. if you have any suggestions for improvements please post them here! tata for now :3

NOTE: the file above contains everything you need n.n

thankyou :):)
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Since native controller support is still disabled this BW there will be no updates. Xpadder or some other third party software is the only way to use an xbox controller right now.
  • eyewishuheaveneyewishuheaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Works pretty good right now. Hoping for full Controller support. Hats off to the poster with the setup file. I actually only made 2/3 tweaks. Having a slight issue with the dodging both (intentionally and unintentionally) but other than that its fine.
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited March 2013
    Works pretty good right now. Hoping for full Controller support. Hats off to the poster with the setup file. I actually only made 2/3 tweaks. Having a slight issue with the dodging both (intentionally and unintentionally) but other than that its fine.

Really? I loaded the posted config & it's not working properly for me at all this weekend :( Probably because I can't turn Joystick off as the option's not there any more!
    Please play, rate, & review my very first Foundry Quest!

The X Factor Campaign NWS-DCO7OKB6F

Quest #1: The Morning After NW-D13LX4M93

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

Just for fun - Night of the Werebeast! NW-DT5EIZKZZ
  • eyewishuheaveneyewishuheaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    Really? I loaded the posted config & it's not working properly for me at all this weekend :( Probably because I can't turn Joystick off as the option's not there any more!

Sorry C0mixfan, My post was in reference to the xpadder config not the op's config. I can see where my post was pretty vague. I held off on the op's config since I believe (hope) there will be native controller support. Just using the xpadder until the games release. My sabertooth beats my nostromo for sheer comfort while questing anyday of the week.
  • iamruneiamrune Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Rejoice, for Native controller support is returning!

The latest "Known Issues" post for the most recent Beta Build has a line about Controllers not being supported at this time, but that they are being worked on and returning.

At last!
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    so will we be able to use other pc controllers then xbox?like that generic brand controllers for 20-40$ ,since xbox controller is hard to find since xbox is not popular at me so there isnt a lot of shops whit stuff for it
  • only1hero1only1hero1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    is there a controller you can get where all you need to do is edit the in game options
    edited April 2013
    Still no controller support yet, so I decided to go ahead and post my Xpadder profile.

Neverwinter.xpadderprofile
    ;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
    DataType=Profile
    Version=2012.05.01

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]
    Set1Name=Basic
    Set1StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set1DPadMode=FourWay
    Set2Name=Special
    Set2StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set3Name=Items
    Set3StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set4Name=Explore
    Set4StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set5Name=Interface
    Set5StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set6Name=Custom
    Set6StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set7Name=Info
    Set7StickDeadZones=77,77
    Set8StickDeadZones=77,77

[Assignments]
    Set1Button1Slots=F
    Set1Button2Slots=R
    Set1Button3Slots=Q
    Set1Button4Slots=E
    Set1Button5SetSelect=1
    Set1Button6Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
    Set1Button7SetSelect=6
    Set1Button8Slots=Escape
    Set1Button9Slots=Left Control
    Set1Button10Slots=Space
    Set1DPadUpSetSelect=3
    Set1DPadRightSetSelect=2
    Set1DPadDownSetSelect=4
    Set1DPadLeftSetSelect=5
    Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
    Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
    Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
    Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
    Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
    Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
    Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
    Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
    Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
    Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
    Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
    Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
    Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
    Set1TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
    Set2Button1Slots=Right Control,I
    Set2Button2Slots=2
    Set2Button3Slots=1
    Set2Button4Slots=Tab
    Set2Button5SetSelect=0
    Set2Button6Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
    Set2Button9Slots=Left Control
    Set2Button10Slots=T
    Set2Stick1UpSlots=W
    Set2Stick1RightSlots=D
    Set2Stick1DownSlots=S
    Set2Stick1LeftSlots=A
    Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
    Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
    Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
    Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
    Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
    Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
    Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
    Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
    Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
    Set2TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
    Set3Button1Slots=6
    Set3Button2Slots=5
    Set3Button3Slots=3
    Set3Button4Slots=4
    Set3Button6Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
    Set3DPadRightSetSelect=0
    Set3Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
    Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
    Set3Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
    Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
    Set3Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
    Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
    Set3Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
    Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
    Set3TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
    Set4Button1Slots=Z
    Set4Button2Slots=B
    Set4Button3Slots=X
    Set4Button4Slots=M
    Set4Button6Slots=Mouse Wheel Up
    Set4Button6Turbo=1
    Set4Button6TurboRate=5
    Set4DPadUpSetSelect=0
    Set4Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
    Set4Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
    Set4Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
    Set4Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
    Set4Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
    Set4Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
    Set4Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
    Set4Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
    Set4TriggerRightSlots=Mouse Wheel Down
    Set4TriggerRightTurbo=1
    Set4TriggerRightTurboRate=5
    Set5Button1Slots=Alt
    Set5Button2Slots=Left Shift,3
    Set5Button3Slots=Left Shift,1
    Set5Button4Slots=Left Shift,2
    Set5Button6Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
    Set5DPadDownSetSelect=0
    Set5Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
    Set5Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
    Set5Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
    Set5Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
    Set5Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
    Set5Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
    Set5Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
    Set5Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
    Set5TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
    Set6Button1Slots=F8
    Set6Button2Slots=F7
    Set6Button3Slots=F5
    Set6Button4Slots=F6
    Set6DPadLeftSetSelect=0
    Set7Button1Slots=C
    Set7Button2Slots=L
    Set7Button3Slots=J
    Set7Button4Slots=I
    Set7Button5Slots=G
    Set7Button6Slots=O
    Set7Button7SetSelect=0
    Set7Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
    Set7Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
    Set7Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
    Set7Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
    Set7Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
    Set7Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
    Set7Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
    Set7Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
    Set7TriggerLeftSlots=N
    Set7TriggerRightSlots=K

Left Stick is WASD movement, and Left Stick Click is Target Lock. I suggest you turn off the "double-tap to dodge/roll" game option since Xpadder is likely to send double-tap commands on its own.

Left Trigger is the Utility Power which can be combined with Left Stick.

Right Bumper and Right Trigger are the Left Mouse Button and Right Mouse Button respectively (At-Will Powers). Right Stick is mouse movement, and Right Stick Click is Jump. Right Stick uses "normal" mouse mappings so that RS, RB and RT can be used as a makeshift mouse. Use in-game settings to invert mouse-look if you prefer that style.

X, Y, and B are Encounter Powers, and A is Interact/Loot.

Start button is Main Menu/Cancel (Esc).

Left Bumper is the Power shifter, remapping X, Y, B and A to Daily Powers, Special Power, and Invocation. It also remaps Right Stick Click to the Auto-Run toggle.

Back is the Information shifter, remapping X, Y, B and A to Journal, Inventory, Home Page and Character Sheet. Bumpers and Triggers are remapped to Professions, Guild, Social and Queue panels.

D-pad Up is the Exploration shifter, remapping X, Y, B and A to Scoreboard, Map, Inspect Mode, and Quest Path. RB and RT are also remapped to camera zoom for Map and Inspect mode.

D-pad Right is the Item shifter, remapping X, Y, B and A to the Item Tray and Mount.

D-pad Down is the Interface shifter, remapping X, Y, B and A to the Window Buttons (Shift+1, Shift+2, Shift+3 -- useful for the Need/Greed/Pass window) and Cursor Mode (Alt).

D-pad Left is for custom commands, currently remapping X, Y, B and A to F5, F6, F7 and F8. This would also be a good place for Push-to-Talk (V) if you use voice chat.

EDIT: Noticed that the Window Button ("Shift+1", "Shift+2", "Shift+3") and Invocation ("Ctrl+I") don't quite work correctly. Neverwinter sees the individual keypress so for example, Shift+1 activates both Daily Power 1 and Window Button 1, and Ctrl+I activates both Invocation and Inventory.

My workaround for this is to set up function keys F9-F12 as alternate binds, and have Xpadder activate those. (Note: The configuration above is still the original one.)
  • mklein2836mklein2836 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    Will there be native controller support in the final? coulda sworn I read that somewhere. This is an issue near and dear to me as even though (or because of) i'm an older gamer, I have become spoiled by the ease and simplicity of controller over KB. I find I'm constantly looking down, or very often selecting the wrong key
  • malfar1malfar1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any news on if they will have native controller support?
  • antfresantfres Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really hope they get this added before OB.
  • pion01pion01 Member Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same, removing functionality is usually lame, and for a game with combat as visceral as this it feels good to be able to use a gamepad. It worked amazingly for CO and pretty darn well for STO. As long as there's a look sensitivity slider available the NW would likely benefit greatly from a gamepad.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    antfres wrote: »
    I really hope they get this added before OB.

I do also! Come on Devs!!!!
  • xiaolinsolxiaolinsol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is the only thing holding me back from getting a founders pack...
  • joclojoclo Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's strange. They make games specifically for PC, yet they design them to be perfect for gamepads, then make it difficult to use one.
  • joclojoclo Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    I certainly hope the devs don't waste valuable time and resources in trying to implement support for controllers that should be plugged into their respective consoles.

That's a bit snobbish, don't you think?
  • temporalvoodootemporalvoodoo Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seriously do not want to buy xpadder. Anyone know if there is a way to bind controls in a similar manner to STO through manual input into the chat/interface box?
    There are many hampsters in the sea. I just hope they can swim.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    can anyone confirm that controller support is back in game or if we can activate somehow?