test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Guide] ==> Microsoft XBOX Controller for Windows Configuration <==

silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
edited March 2015 in PvE Discussion
After some experimentation I was able to get a basic Xbox controller config working. I am going to assume some basic knowledge of keybinding and folder structure here. For more information look at the Xbox controller guides for Champions Online at http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=51461 and Start Trek Online at http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=91705 .

First, here is a list of some basic commands available in NW. This is by no means complete. Its just the commands available in the Keybinds section of the game's Options panel.

MOVEMENT AND CAMERA
Forward /+Actionforward
Backwards /+Actionbackward
Move left /+Actionleft
Move right /+Actionright
Jump /+up
Utility Power /+tacticalSpecial
Auto-run /++autoforward
Zoom out /CamZoomOut
Zoom in /CamZoomIn
Toggle Inspect Mode /camTogglePlayerInspect
Toggle cursor mode /++suspendForcedMouselookAndStopMoving

POWERS AND TARGETING
At-Will #1 /+EvaluateLeftClick
At-Will #2 /+PowerTrayExec 1
Encounter #1 /+PowerTrayExec 2
Encounter #2 /+PowerTrayExec 3
Encounter #3 /+PowerTrayExec 4
Daily #1 /+PowerTrayExec 5
Daily #2 /+PowerTrayExec 6
Special Power /+specialClassPower
Item Tray 1 /+TrayExec 1 0
Item Tray 2 /+TrayExec 1 1
Item Tray 3 /+TrayExec 1 2
Invocation /Invoke
Mount /+PowerTrayExec 14
Interact / Loot /InteractAndLoot

WINDOWS
Press Window Button 1 /ClickWindowButton_1
Press Window Button 2 /ClickWindowButton_2
Press Window Button 3 /ClickWindowButton_3
Character Sheet /paperdoll
Home Page /HomePage
Inventory /inventory
Game Menu /ClearTargetOrBringUpMenuIgnoreMouseLook
Zone Map /map
Mission Journal /missions
Crafting /Crafting
Lore /lore
Friends/Search /social
Perks /perks
Powers & Advantages /powers
Feats /feats
Teaming Queue /queue
Guild Management /guildmanagement
Toggle UI /++ShowGameUI
UI rearrange mode /Rearrange
Mail /Mail
C Store /Cstore
Options /Options
Scoreboard /Scoreboard
Help/Tickets /Help_Tickets
Level Up Checklist /LevelUpWindow

MISCELLANEOUS
Start chatting /startChat
Reply to tell /startChatReply
Chat command /startChatSlash
Show/Hide Quest Path /ToggleGoldenPath
Push-to-Talk /+svPushToTalk

FOUNDRY TOOLS
Reset Map /ugc_ResetMap
Kill Target /KillTarget
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Now for my config. Create a text file named nwxbox.txt and place the following commands in it:

Xb "+EvaluateLeftClick"
    Bb "+PowerTrayExec 1"
    Ab "+up"
    Yb "InteractAndLoot"
    Ltrigger+xb "+PowerTrayExec 2"
    Ltrigger+yb "+PowerTrayExec 3"
    Ltrigger+bb "+PowerTrayExec 4"
    Ltrigger+ab "Invoke"
    Lb+xb "+PowerTrayExec 5"
    Lb+bb "+PowerTrayExec 6"
    Lb+ab "+specialClassPower"
    Lb+yb "InteractAndLoot"
    Rtrigger+xb "+TrayExec 1 0"
    Rtrigger+yb "+TrayExec 1 1"
    Rtrigger+bb "+TrayExec 1 2"
    Rtrigger+ab "Inventory"
    Rb+xb "ClickWindowButton_1"
    Rb+yb "ClickWindowButton_2"
    Rb+bb "ClickWindowButton_3"
    Rb+ab "+svPushToTalk"
    Joypad_Left "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionleft"
    Joypad_Right "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionright"
    Joypad_Up "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionforward"
    Joypad_Down "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionbackward"
    Lstick "+PowerTrayExec 14"
    Rstick "Map"
    Ltrigger ""
    Lb ""
    Rtrigger ""
    Rb ""

Put the text file into the Live folder in your Neverwinter install directory. Log into the game and type "/bind_load_file nwxbox.txt" into the chat bar without the quotes. You can remove the config later by typing "/unbind_all".

In this config the x and b buttons are your left and right At-Will powers. The a button is jump and the y button is the interact and loot key. The left stick is movement and the right stick is camera and reticle control. The left stick button summons your mount and the right stick button calls up the map.

If you hold down the left trigger, the x, y, and b buttons are your Encounter powers. Left trigger plus a is the Invoke ability.

Left shoulder button plus x or b are your Daily powers. Left shoulder plus a button is the special class power (Stealth, Channel Divinity, etc.). Left shoulder plus y is still interact and loot.

Right trigger plus x, y, and b is Item 1, Item 2, and Item 3. Right trigger plus a is inventory.

Right shoulder button plus x, y, and b is window clicks 1, 2, and 3. Right shoulder plus a is push-to-talk.

The D-Pad is your class-based utility power (roll for Rogue, shield for Guardian Fighter, etc).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    KNOWN ISSUES AND TIPS

Make sure that you have Xbox controller enabled and joystick disabled in the Controller section of the Options panel.

Make sure that you have the latest Xbox controller drivers for Windows.

If you have a controller.cfg file in your NW Live folder you may need to delete it or move it out of that directory. I couldn't get any of my bindings to stick until I did.

If you run into a problem where the chat window sometimes hogs focus and you find the right stick won't do anything but scroll up and down chat it can usually be fixed by going into the keybind options and just clicking OK without changing anything. Alternately, you can rebind the sticks with a bind file. Create a file named fixcam.txt with the following commands in it:

CameraY Ry
    CameraX Rx
    bind_load_file nwxbox.txt

Also place this file in the Live folder. You apply the fix by typing "/bind_load_file fixcam.txt" into the chat bar without the quotes. I had to do it every time I zoned so I bound this to the Start button on my controller by adding the following line to the end of my nwxbox.txt file:

Start "bind_load_file fixcam.txt"

**Beta Weekend 2 Update: It looks like there is no controller support in the current build. Hopefully that means it is being worked on.

**Beta Weekend 3 Update: Since native controller support is still disabled this BW there will be no updates. Xpadder or some other third party software is the only way to use an xbox controller right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I know we have a month until the next beta weekend but I wanted to get this information out there while it was still fresh in my mind. I will update if anything changes next beta weekend.
  • Options
    aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is awesome! Just one question.

If you put bind_load_file nwxbox.txt in your fixcam.txt file, and Start "bind_load_file fixcam.txt" in your nwxbox.txt file, then won't that start a infinite loop when you press Start?

It would be better to just add Start "bind_load_file fixcam.txt" to the nwxbox.txt file and not put bind_load_file nwxbox.txt in your fixcam.txt file ?

Yes no maybe?
  • Options
    deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    why wouldn't u just edit the existing controller .cfg file and remove whats there and add what u suggested
    below ...that way the game is using the designed file and u avoid problem issues with updates in future etc?

Xb "+EvaluateLeftClick"
    Bb "+PowerTrayExec 1"
    Ab "+up"
    Yb "InteractAndLoot"
    Ltrigger+xb "+PowerTrayExec 2"
    Ltrigger+yb "+PowerTrayExec 3"
    Ltrigger+bb "+PowerTrayExec 4"
    Ltrigger+ab "Invoke"
    Lb+xb "+PowerTrayExec 5"
    Lb+bb "+PowerTrayExec 6"
    Lb+ab "+specialClassPower"
    Lb+yb "InteractAndLoot"
    Rtrigger+xb "+TrayExec 1 0"
    Rtrigger+yb "+TrayExec 1 1"
    Rtrigger+bb "+TrayExec 1 2"
    Rtrigger+ab "Inventory"
    Rb+xb "ClickWindowButton_1"
    Rb+yb "ClickWindowButton_2"
    Rb+bb "ClickWindowButton_3"
    Rb+ab "+svPushToTalk"
    Joypad_Left "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionleft"
    Joypad_Right "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionright"
    Joypad_Up "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionforward"
    Joypad_Down "+down1$$+tacticalSpecial$$+Actionbackward"
    Lstick "+PowerTrayExec 14"
    Rstick "Map"
    Ltrigger ""
    Lb ""
    Rtrigger ""
    Rb ""
    COME WITH ME !
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I disabled the Xbox setting in game and use "xpadder" keyboard emulator to map my controller, their mapping keyboard display makes remapping and fine tuning very easy
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is most awesome and is now stickied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    aeonbluess wrote: »
    This is awesome! Just one question.

If you put bind_load_file nwxbox.txt in your fixcam.txt file, and Start "bind_load_file fixcam.txt" in your nwxbox.txt file, then won't that start a infinite loop when you press Start?

It would be better to just add Start "bind_load_file fixcam.txt" to the nwxbox.txt file and not put bind_load_file nwxbox.txt in your fixcam.txt file ?

Yes no maybe?

When you load a bind file it unbinds all your existing custom binds. So I had to put it at the end of the fixcam.txt file to reload everything else. The Start "bind_load_file fixcam.txt" command doesn't load the file, it binds doing so to the Start button. So, when you need to run the fix you press Start. That unbinds all your existing custom keybinds first, then runs the binds in the file in order. The last one reloads the nwxbox.txt file.

Incidentally, the reason that this doesn't undo the Camera binds in the fixcam.txt file is that these are actually the default keybinds. For some reason simply re-applying them on top of themselves temporarily fixes the issue of the chat box hogging focus.

Its also worth noting that you may not run into that problem in the first place. So try it without the fixcam stuff first and only use it if you need it. I will be trying to figure out a better solution as soon as the next beta weekend rolls around.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    why wouldn't u just edit the existing controller .cfg file and remove whats there and add what u suggested
    below ...that way the game is using the designed file and u avoid problem issues with updates in future etc?

The controller.cfg file isn't actually a keybind file. You can't put actual commands in it. It appears to be a reference map that is meant to give more standard joystick mappings to the xbox controller buttons. Basically its a list of aliases. Probably to give some functionality if you don't have the xbox controller drivers for windows loaded. The problem is that the reference map is wrong. For example, in the controller.cfg file buttons a, b, x, and y are labeled 0, 1, 2, and 3. But the Neverwinter client identifies those buttons as 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I tried binding to the aliases given in the cfg file instead, but no bind would do anything. It wasn't until I removed that file that any of the bindings worked at all.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    reburrebur Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I may try this next beta weekend. Too bad the class-based utility power is 4 different keys. would have been nicer to just push left stick button and then move the left stick to dodge in that direction.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    OS SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive & Crucial 256GB SSD x 2
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-biit)
  • Options
    blakjak303blakjak303 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ravenblood82ravenblood82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome, while I was playing I kept thinking that controller support was the only thing that was keeping me from falling in love with the game. I will definitely try this out. Any word if we are going to get any native controller support soon?
  • Options
    tcheluelutcheluelu Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Great topic!

I definetely gonna use this on next beta weekend!!

Thanks!
    My Foundry Campaigns!

The Artifacts of Power
    NWS-DDJRZCY2A

Necromancer Tower
    NWS-DKBFQTUM5
  • Options
    ceastaceasta Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks all of you in getting this tested and sorted out. I'm looking forward to trying this out. Cheers!
  • Options
    sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was wondering if i could buy a PC controller from Bestbuy for this game?

Also will it work? See i looked up Xpadder and have no fuggin clue what they are haha still don't know.. All i have seen was Xbox controller which i do have a Xbox but the crontrollers are wireless. Not sure i would want to use a wireless controller anyways. Would waste a ton of batteries if i did do that. So the question is can i use a PC controller on this game? Is that what they call an Xpadder?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Why doesn't the controller work right on it's own? Is Cryptic planning to fix this?
  • Options
    spicymchaggis86spicymchaggis86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited February 2013
    sakuda13 wrote: »
    I was wondering if i could buy a PC controller from Bestbuy for this game?

Also will it work? See i looked up Xpadder and have no fuggin clue what they are haha still don't know.. All i have seen was Xbox controller which i do have a Xbox but the crontrollers are wireless. Not sure i would want to use a wireless controller anyways. Would waste a ton of batteries if i did do that. So the question is can i use a PC controller on this game? Is that what they call an Xpadder?

Not all xbox controllers are wireless, but that would be a ton of batteries lol.

http://www.xpadder.com/ is the site for xpadder, it appears to be a configuration tool for setting up controller to keyboard/mouse mapping.
  • Options
    muppetquestmuppetquest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for figuring this out! Great job.
    I'm sure it may help play the game. I was hoping I could be remap the controls.

I'm not in the BETA, but am planning on playing and being part of the community.
    Foundry and all.:cool:
    Neverwinter United!
  • Options
    tl73tl73 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Anyone having issues logging on to server. I created a toon....went to mr. Shady P....went to go to WC....and basically server failed. Closed game app, started over...had to creat a new toon. Then I didnt have to option of two character slots , just the one. Ever since then I cannot get logged on. Also , it seemed to have deleted the toon I just created. I know the two characters from earlier test would be wiped. Not a big deal as this is testing....just wondered if anyone has similar issue?
  • Options
    tl73tl73 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nvm, fixed
  • Options
    daethxdaethx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic should incorporate this into the standard controller options :) *wink wink nudge nudge*
  • Options
    nimmriggersnimmriggers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have tried to use all of these setting in alpha and they have not worked. Dont know if alpha is more locked down or not. Will try again in beta soon and let you know.

Any feedback as to why this may not be working in alpha?
    Nimm Riggers -Failure is a choice not an option
  • Options
    soberzerosoberzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Question. I've been trying for a while to set up game a game controller. I have a logitech 2 game pad with logitech profiler software. Also tried using my PS3 controller with MotionJoy software. Both controllers are working with their respective software.

I cannot for the life of me find an option in the game options/menu that says anything about controller/joy(stick) support or anything in the keybindings either. Any help on this please?

I'm pretty tech savvy so I'm sure I am missing something simple here.
  • Options
    terrariacowsterrariacows Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    and so one among them hath made it come to pass - http://www.mediafire.com/?7tlcr2vqe77bv2u and on this day the people rejoiced and celebrated! for the one who stepped forth and bent reality, shaping it to her will!

lol - your all welcome XD

EXPLANATION: This is a very comprehensive and well thought out Xpadder profile for the wired xbox 360 controller , it feels very natural and lets you access every facet of the game. if you have any suggestions for improvements please post them here! tata for now :3

NOTE: the file above contains everything you need n.n
  • Options
    davisr24davisr24 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cool I'll try it out and report back
  • Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    soberzero wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me find an option in the game options/menu that says anything about controller/joy(stick) support or anything in the keybindings either. Any help on this please?

I can't see it either. :(
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Beta Weekend 2 Update: It looks like there is no controller support in the current build. Hopefully that means it is being worked on.
  • Options
    barefootdriver12barefootdriver12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    soberzero wrote: »
    Question. I've been trying for a while to set up game a game controller. I have a logitech 2 game pad with logitech profiler software. Also tried using my PS3 controller with MotionJoy software. Both controllers are working with their respective software.

I'm pretty tech savvy so I'm sure I am missing something simple here.

Put your ps3 into xbox emulation mode, and you use a program called JoytoKey to map the buttons. Don't minimize joytokey because it can auto exit. Also, write down which hotkeys you are using for the game beforehand and you can see which buttons are being emulated from the game controller preferences in Windows. Here are the instructions for it. This method also works for xbox controllers that don't need the motionjoy software.

From: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-an-Xbox-360-controller-as-a-mouse/step4/JoyToKey-Basics/

Click the tab on the very right labeled "Others". Here you can change the number of joysticks for this configuration. Adding more joysticks to configure allows the same customization of a separate configuration, but the you can only switch to different joystick configurations (Joystick 1, Joystick 2, etc.) temporarily (while a button is held down) where you can toggle between configurations (press once to switch, press again to switch back). To view the full range of buttons of the Xbox 360 controller click "Use Axes other than X and Y." and "Use POV switches".

Now, push the "Joysticks" tab to switch back to the list. You'll notice a lot more buttons are available for us to configure. Here's a rundown of what each button on the controller is listed as in the list.

Left Thumbstick Left = AxisX(<0)
    Left Thumbstick Right = AxisX(>0)
    Left Thumbstick Up = AxisY(<0)
    Left Thumbstick Down = AxisY(>0)

Right Shoulder = Axis3(<0)
    Left Shoulder = Axis3(>0)

Right Thumbstick Left = Axis4(<0)
    Right Thumbstick Right = Axis4(>0)
    Right Thumbstick Up = Axis5(<0)
    Right Thumbstick Down = Axis5(>0)

Directional Pad Up = POV1:UP
    Directional Pad Right = POV1:RIGHT
    Directional Pad Down = POV1: DOWN
    Directional Pad Left = POV1:LEFT

A = Button 1
    B = Button 2
    X = Button 3
    Y = Button 4

Left Bumper = Button 5
    Right Bumper = Button 6

Back = Button 7
    Start = Button 8

Left Thumbstick = Button 9
    Right Thumbstick = Button 10

(For clarification, the last two are achieved by pushing the left or right thumbstick in. They're called L3 and R3 on Playstation controllers, but I don't know if they have a name from Microsoft.)

There are plenty of other options, but what exactly they do I don't know. Using the guide above maps every button (except the Guide button) that I could find so I'm not worried.

The last step will give examples of configurations and provide the files that I use.
  • Options
    skinlab1333skinlab1333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seems good, though I don't think left shift is mapped in this profile for block etc.