test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Launcher crashes right after hitting Launch

aziteazite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
*Solved*

It was the program DisplayFusion that was making the launcher crash. I have no idea why this would be the case, as DisplayFusion just lets me have 2 separate wallpapers on my 2 monitors.

Downloaded the client through Torrent last night. Installed it today and started the launcher as I saw people needed to patch and I wanted to be ready for tomorrow.

I put in my Username and Password and hit launch, where then the launcher instantly crashes. I saw another thread on this issue that was absolutely no help (His solution was to punch his computer?) and I'm not running teamviewer.

I saw the Perfect Dark support thread on the issue as well and none of those steps solves the problem.

Even hitting Launch with nothing in the Username and Password boxes causes it to instantly crash.

Any help?
Post edited by azite on

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have the odd feeling that there is something wrong in the files.

have you tried running as Admin?
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nebrin6nebrin6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sugestion: Emulate another operational system using the WMPLAYER, like Windows xp, that
  • Options
    malakainbreakermalakainbreaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When I run the client automatically crashes and I can not put the user or pass.
  • Options
    aziteazite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've now tried re-installing with both the Direct Download and Torrent client files. I've tried running as administrator and compatibility with Windows 7 and XP. I'm in the DMZ of my network, and have no firewall software.

As soon as I hit the Launch button the launcher crashes and I get a crash report window.

Would be nice if some devs would start replying to some of these support threads >.>
  • Options
    melanderimelanderi Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users, Silverstars Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If you haven't already please send a ticket to support with a dxdiag log attached.

Sending Customer Support/Tech Support your dxdiag and hijackthis logs
    Pixilated Community Entity
    @Effreet in game
    Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. Learn them, Love them
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I have no experience with Cryptic games but here are a few of the fixes that have helped me in the past.
    Generic fixes
    Without knowing operating systems of system information here are a few fixes you can try that have helped me in other games.
    Try running game as administrator.
    I had an older machine using windows 7 and even though the game was for XP or windows 7 fixed a load problem by running in XP service pack 3 compatibility mode.
    In the launcher properties in the compatibility tab click disable visual themes and disable desktop compositions.
    Enter a real old trick is to disable your sound card to see if it is conflicting with the video in some fashion. This has helped in the past. If sound card, then hopefully updated sound card drivers fix the problem or maybe an in game option adjustment will help with the issue.
    If you get to the launch option but still crash try launching in safe mode then try various video settings like launch in window mode and not full screen or max window. Safe mode can be found under options at top of launcher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    malakainbreakermalakainbreaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, i try this. Zanks Melandri
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    melanderi wrote: »
    If you haven't already please send a ticket to support with a dxdiag log attached.

Sending Customer Support/Tech Support your dxdiag and hijackthis logs

Thank you, I have done the above. I really hope this can be sorted before the start of the beta weekend tomorrow :(
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have no experience with Cryptic games but here are a few of the fixes that have helped me in the past.
    Generic fixes
    Without knowing operating systems of system information here are a few fixes you can try that have helped me in other games.
    Try running game as administrator.
    I had an older machine using windows 7 and even though the game was for XP or windows 7 fixed a load problem by running in XP service pack 3 compatibility mode.
    In the launcher properties in the compatibility tab click disable visual themes and disable desktop compositions.
    Enter a real old trick is to disable your sound card to see if it is conflicting with the video in some fashion. This has helped in the past. If sound card, then hopefully updated sound card drivers fix the problem or maybe an in game option adjustment will help with the issue.
    If you get to the launch option but still crash try launching in safe mode then try various video settings like launch in window mode and not full screen or max window. Safe mode can be found under options at top of launcher.

I'm running Windows 8. As I mentioned before I've done most of what you suggested. I just tried your idea with the sound card to no change. I have also played around with Safemode, proxy, etc... I honestly don't think it has anything to do with driver incomparability with my hardware. The game doesn't even begin to launch. It is immediately after clicking Lunch does everything crash. To me, it feels like the Lunch button is calling the wrong thing.
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Was just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something stuck.

If the problem is a corrupt launcher maybe this will help. open the file called gameclient it goes straight to the game of course this doesn't help with patching but it does help isolate the problem to the launcher. For me the file is located C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Was just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something stuck.

If the problem is a corrupt launcher maybe this will help. open the file called gameclient it goes straight to the game of course this doesn't help with patching but it does help isolate the problem to the launcher. For the file is located C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live

That was a good idea. I found something interesting, or rather, nothing. There is nothing in that folder except another folder called piggs. So i'm going to take a guess here that the Launcher is indeed trying to call on something that doesn't exist?

I will try reinstalling a 4th time... sigh.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Just did another fresh install. Still crashes.

There is nothing in my C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live folder except piggs. Maybe it's because I can't patch and I don't even have the full client yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Do you have this folder on your system. Neverwinter NW.1.20130128a.2 It was put there on mine fo rthe temp files to load game.
    Mine is 3.38 gig and contains directx piggs and setup exe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    azite wrote: »
    Just did another fresh install. Still crashes.

There is nothing in my C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live folder except piggs. Maybe it's because I can't patch and I don't even have the full client yet?

Hello again, finally the client is patching.

I downloaded the torrent version. I followed the steps outlined in this post.

I hope it works for you

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3976
  • Options
    geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    try to reinstall/download? i had no problems myself with it. So maybe its an install issue?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Complete new download of the torrent and another reinstall. Same Problem.
  • Options
    psuedomonaspsuedomonas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Best idea I can think of Azite is to send an email to Support mate. I am sorry to hear you are having dramas :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Best idea I can think of Azite is to send an email to Support mate. I am sorry to hear you are having dramas :(

Yeah I already did. And got a fantastic level one response telling me to try a whole bunch of things I explained I already tried in the original ticket. I'm upset because this could very well mean that I'll miss the first beta weekend due to the support team not working on weekends (Fair enough). And that the only Dev response so far has also been to send in a ticket, shouldn't they actually be responding with helpful ideas on their tech support forum?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I already did. And got a fantastic level one response telling me to try a whole bunch of things I explained I already tried in the original ticket. I'm upset because this could very well mean that I'll miss the first beta weekend due to the support team not working on weekends (Fair enough). And that the only Dev response so far has also been to send in a ticket, shouldn't they actually be responding with helpful ideas on their tech support forum?
    • Are you running the Launcher with administrator privileges?
    • Are you logging in with your PWE Account name? (not Forum name, not email address, not @handle)
    • Have you tried disabling UAC?
    • Have you tried running Windows Update and installing the critical updates?
    • What other programs are you running in the background?
    • Have you tried clicking on "Options" up top in the launcher and trying various settings like:
      • Safe Mode
      • Force Verify
      • Patch via Proxy
      • Disable On-Demand Patching
      • Do you have something listed in the Command Line field?

I'm sorry to be blunt but just saying it crashes when logging in isn't very much to go on, on the forums. This is why you need to communicate all the details and a DXDiag report to Support through a Support Ticket. They do work on Fridays and since this is a testing weekend, I am sure there are Tech Support working as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    • Are you running the Launcher with administrator privileges?
    • Are you logging in with your PWE Account name? (not Forum name, not email address, not @handle)
    • Have you tried disabling UAC?
    • Have you tried running Windows Update and installing the critical updates?
    • What other programs are you running in the background?
    • Have you tried clicking on "Options" up top in the launcher and trying various settings like:
      • Safe Mode
      • Force Verify
      • Patch via Proxy
      • Disable On-Demand Patching
      • Do you have something listed in the Command Line field?

I'm sorry to be blunt but just saying it crashes when logging in isn't very much to go on, on the forums. This is why you need to communicate all the details and a DXDiag report to Support through a Support Ticket. They do work on Fridays and since this is a testing weekend, I am sure there are Tech Support working as well.

I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to say without making things up; I've been as detailed as I can. I click the Launch button, and the launcher crashes with a Crash Report Window. I'm using the same username/password as I use to log into the Neverwinter website. The same one I used to see the download site in the first place. However, the launcher crashes no matter what you put in the boxes, they can be empty and it still crashes immediately after clicking Launch.

I've already done what you've suggested, and rechecked 3 or 4 times on all steps. I have very little running. Evga Precision, Logitech Profiler, Nvidia Settings, and Power ISO.

I gave them a dxdiag and hijack report, along with all (Including your suggestions above) the steps I've been through to try to fix it.
  • Options
    tronc8463tronc8463 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    An uninstall might not be cleaning out your registry so that maybe a cause of the issue. Might I suggest a different user profile? Create a new user account for your local machine. Than login and attempt to run NWO, should be no need to re download. There might be an issue with NWO and your registry settings. A new local user account to your machine might help identify that issue.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Here:

eZHiqCb.png

Settings, launcher, and then what I get as soon as I click Launch.

http://i.imgur.com/eZHiqCb.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I've had the same problem as you. Let me explain what I have done.

1) Download the torrent client.

2) Use Ccleaner to clean the registry.

3) I updated drivers, flash and java.

4) In the installer I have done the following: Right-click the setup.exe icon. Click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode. Select the version of Windows XP SP2. Check the box for Disable desktop composition and Disable Visual themes. Click OK.

5) After I run the installer as administrator. Right-click the setup.exe icon. Select the "Run as admin" option.

6) I installed the game on default folder: C: \ Program Files (86x) \ Cryptic Studios.
    I've noticed that other clients that I install the default folder was another (Public user \ Games \ ..), this time I downloaded the client from the link in the email. Do not know if that makes a difference.

7) When the installer finishes check not run the game.

8) In the folder where you installed it. Right-click the icon for the game.Click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode. Select the version of Windows XP SP2. Check the box for Disable desktop composition and Disable Visual themes. Click OK.

9) After I executed. "Exe" as administrator. Right-click the icon for the game. Select the "Run as admin" option.

10) After doing all this the client has worked for me and I was able to patch.

I hope it will be helpful.

If it works do not forget to check the "patch on demand" in the launcher options. Restart the launcher and begin patching.

Good Luck!

Edit: I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bits.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    tronc8463 wrote: »
    An uninstall might not be cleaning out your registry so that maybe a cause of the issue. Might I suggest a different user profile? Create a new user account for your local machine. Than login and attempt to run NWO, should be no need to re download. There might be an issue with NWO and your registry settings. A new local user account to your machine might help identify that issue.

Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, this worked!

I created a new admin user account (This time a local account too). And it's now patching.

Thank you for the suggestion. Well, thank everyone for helping. Now I just have to figure out how to scrub my computer clean so I can try to get it to work on my normal account, any idea for that? I already tried CCleaner uninstall and registry cleanup before I tried your suggestion.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Solved the issue.

Apparently the program DisplayFusion was causing the launcher to crash. I have no idea why this would be the case, as DisplayFusion is a program that allows for 2 seperate wallpapers on my 2 monitors. Weird... But Fixed!

Thank you everyone that posted with ideas and help. It's looking like this game will, at the very least, have a great community!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Solved the issue.

Apparently the program DisplayFusion was causing the launcher to crash. I have no idea why this would be the case, as DisplayFusion is a program that allows for 2 seperate wallpapers on my 2 monitors. Weird... But Fixed!

Thank you everyone that posted with ideas and help. It's looking like this game will, at the very least, have a great community!
    Good to hear, thanks for your response. Please update your Support Ticket to include this information. :)
  • Options
    snappishsnappish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had the same issue. Configured to run in compatibility with windows xp sp2, problem went away.
  • Options
    averial1averial1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been having this problem as well for the last hour. Still not able to play. I am re-installing right now. I did have the game installed on a different HD than C. This time I went with the default installation path. My game client sent several bug/crash reports. Will update after the reinstall/patch is complete.
    -Averial
    Honesty, Wisdom, Hope, Grace and Joy
  • Options
    averial1averial1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Reinstalled using default path, still crashed when I tried to enter the world. Updated drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    -Averial
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Have tried everything I can think of, and anything that I can find here on the forum. I hope that Cryptic gets a move on so I can help out in the beta.
    -Averial