test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat System, like STO/CO?

alairanfennecalairanfennec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm a little curious, with Neverwinter being developed by Cryptic, will it be integrated into the chat system STO and Champions Online share? Will we use the CharacterName@AccountName style of handle? Or will it be stepping back to simply using a character name and nothing else?
Post edited by alairanfennec on

Comments

• geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    id also like to see things easier private messages or something :-) You know i dont understand why more MMOs cant go to a IM thing where you can actually do Instant messages with people the whole having to use archaic commands to have a conversation is a bit dated. We will see!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I'm a little curious, with Neverwinter being developed by Cryptic, will it be integrated into the chat system STO and Champions Online share? Will we use the CharacterName@AccountName style of handle? Or will it be stepping back to simply using a character name and nothing else?
    It is on the Cryptic Engine so yes, it uses the same @handle chat system. Just be aware, your account login name is not your @handle.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    geddings12 wrote: »
    id also like to see things easier private messages or something :-) You know i dont understand why more MMOs cant go to a IM thing where you can actually do Instant messages with people the whole having to use archaic commands to have a conversation is a bit dated. We will see!

I don't understand your comment. :( This is exactly how the Cryptic Engine handles chats. You can directly IM someone just by telling their @handle no matter what character they are on. With the @handle system, character names are only unique per account, it is only the @handle that is unique across the whole Cryptic Account system.
  • cnynridr2cnynridr2 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As long as we are talking chat: I haven't played any other Cryptic games unfortunately but have other MMO's. Does anyone know if there will there be an in game Voice Chat type of setup?
    edited February 2013
    cnynridr2 wrote: »
    As long as we are talking chat: I haven't played any other Cryptic games unfortunately but have other MMO's. Does anyone know if there will there be an in game Voice Chat type of setup?
    Indeed, Voice Chat is a part of the Cryptic Engine.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    geddings12 wrote: »

You know, you can access Cryptic's chat system with your favorite IM client, if you have a Star Trek Online account that you've enabled for Test server access (it goes through the STO public test server, but globals cross all games/servers). I'm in global channels all day every workday.
  • alairanfennecalairanfennec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    It is on the Cryptic Engine so yes, it uses the same @handle chat system. Just be aware, your account login name is not your @handle.

Ah, yes, its not really account name anymore, is it? I just remember from the old days where Account Name was your Chat Handle. My Cryptic Account used to be Alairan, thus I am @Alairan. :) Nice to know it'll be the same in Neverwinter!
  • cnynridr2cnynridr2 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Indeed, Voice Chat is a part of the Cryptic Engine.

Awesome! Thanks. Can't wait! C'mon launch.