test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: Foundry access at lvl15, mitigating side-effects

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If you are going to create a barrier on foundry authors, you should realize who all could be hit by it.

There are many DM who are old and not very interested in games. They have mostly played PnP but they make amazing PnP campaigns. And there are lots of them.

You are loosing quality DM material by creating a barrier for them.

~~~~

To mitigate this barrier and allow them to bypass, I would advise the following suggestion so we can bring that crowd in:-

Allow those with high 5-star rating content to "invite" players directly to foundry. For example, if I get Astral diamonds donation because people like my quests, make it so I can send invite to those unwilling old DMs who I know will make quality content.

If I try to buy it for them, they will refuse on principle. They are not willing to play the game either. So for those stubborn oldies, let an option be there for the betterment of the game. That way we can entice them into making some lore-correct good content.

Thanks.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited January 2013
    Sorry but I have a problem with people who do not play the game making quests for it. I think that lvl 15 is a pretty low level, pretty decent level to reach before allowing the foundry as you should understand how the game works before making content for it.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Do you think reaching level 15 is that big of a deal? Personally, I'd much rather have someone who at least had the basic concept of the game, eg playing through to level 15, before they begin working in the Foundry. If it were up to me, these founder's packs wouldn't contain this "immediate" access.

Maybe I just don't understand what you're getting a here?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    According to cryptic's own admission, 99.5% of players do not use foundry, only 0.5% do. And few of them make good content. {i.e. taking out the "Test" and "Exploit-open chest to complete" missions: which are usually more visible}

You really think putting a barrier on that small percentage making quests for twisted static of percentage is justified?

Also, as I said, the foundry author will be sending the invite who they think should be able to a foundry quest - it is not on random basis - and would be using Astral Diamonds from his accounts of tips they received - for the betterment of foundry. It is not something "free-pass" so they will think twice before sending it.
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Maybe I just don't understand what you're getting a here?

I am not forcing you to understand. You are free to have your opinion and I respect that.

However, any barriers to foundry is something which needs more than one meeting discussion - and needs to address what they were "aiming" for - a foundry free to any entry level barriers.

EDIT:
    Unless it has changed and they have so much rush in foundry that they now have luxury to choose.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I understand both sides, I think the DM should have some knowledge of how to play the game, but I also understand how it is restricting.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    According to cryptic's own admission, 99.5% of players do not use foundry, only 0.5% do. And few of them make good content. {i.e. taking out the "Test" and "Exploit-open chest to complete" missions: which are usually more visible}

You really think putting a barrier on that small percentage making quests for twisted static of percentage is justified?

Level 15 in Champions Online takes a few hours of play. Level 15 in Star Trek Online takes a few hours of play. What makes you think Neverwinter will be different?

If someone can't devote a few hours to playing the game before they write their Foundry masterpiece, we probably aren't missing anything with their absence.
  • mrfoxxmrfoxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    Its like saying im a vegan but i want to make the best hamburger in the world. Playing the game to max level should honestly be a requirement of the foundry, then that shows at the very least youve seen most of the content and youve done a dungeon or two and you know what the hell its supposed to look like.

The level requirement helps you learn the game. before you start designing for it.
    edited January 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    If someone can't devote a few hours to playing the game before they write their Foundry masterpiece, we probably aren't missing anything with their absence.

Because that is a view of a gamer, not a DM.

I will not be playing game either - feel free to skip all my quest - infact skip them and do not play them.

And I am too befuddled with the changed viewpoint of cryptic towards foundry. I am not sure if I will be allowed to make content without playing, but I will sure stop promoting the foundry because their vision is much different that they had made me believe in interviews; unless they clear this point on if it will be the same after launch.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Problem with not playing the game however, is that the mechanics are not completely in your control as a DM, like they are in a PnP game. You're going to want to understand how things like physics, and collision work in game, as well as a ton of other things.
  • geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    well im glad to be able to get instant access i dont mind there is a wait though because its a nice idea to expose players to the game before they start creating content. plus you dont just want someone to download the game and create stuff thats not really that great. So... I dont think its a bad thing :-). I got the Hero pack so i guess i get it as soon as i start playing :-) I cant wait to open it up to see all the content you have to work with :-).
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Because that is a view of a gamer, not a DM.

I will not be playing game either - feel free to skip all my quest - infact skip them and do not play them.

And I am too befuddled with the changed viewpoint of cryptic towards foundry. I am not sure if I will be allowed to make content without playing, but I will sure stop promoting the foundry because their vision is much different that they had made me believe in interviews; unless they clear this point on if it will be the same after launch.

I've been a content designer for both NWN1 and 2, built both modules as part of a team and built Persistent worlds. I was a DM since the 80's (in fact, I DMed after my first three play sessions).

I can't agree with your viewpoint, especially in this digital medium. Not knowing how the system works, you won't necessarily be able to build an incredible experience for a player with just PnP experience alone. In NWN, there were plenty of great DMs who were terrible at building modules or adding to the PW. They helped come up with some awesome scripted quests, but I was the one who actually built them into the module.

Having experienced all sides (PnP, client DMing, and content creation), while the abilities feed into each other, they do not replace each other. Most of the awesome content creators for NWN had played through the OC, for a bit at least.

It's my experience you want to play the game for a bit (15 levels or about 2-3 hours sounds about right, based on Cryptic's other games) before starting to make content for it. You'll end up with a better product as a result.

EDIT: I'll make another analogy, one I'm actually really familiar with. A pencil artist may be a stunning pencil artist, but he's not a good oil painter. Until you've played with the oil paints, or actually watch a good painter at work, you are not going to go straight from pencil to oil and create a decent work of art. They are two different mediums, and both have to be learned.
  • popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    getting a character to level 15 is a small effort to unlock the ability to use the foundry. And you only have to do it once so in my opinion it's not a big deal and the benefits of stopping people from just randomly creating infinite free accounts just to use the foundry far outweighs the minor effort of playing the game to reach lvl 15 one time even for players who are solely interested in the foundry and nothing else.
  • demonknight33demonknight33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Personally, giving someone immediate access to the foundry without requiring them to play the game at all beforehand would be like giving someone a stack of D&D books for a system they haven't even used yet, such as the upcoming D&D next, and telling them to start making campaigns for it immediately. They will have no idea how the different systems actually interact with each other in a live game environment. Sure, they can do some reading, and develop an opinion about how they think the systems should work together, but they won't have any actual experience to fall back on. This is compounded in an MMO setting because of all the additional factors that will be outside the control of the DM. In a P&P campaign, if the DM makes some mistakes in designing areas of his/her campaign, they can make adjustments on the fly to balance the encounters and challenges to what the party is capable of, but that won't be possible with the foundry.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    EDIT: I'll make another analogy, one I'm actually really familiar with. A pencil artist may be a stunning pencil artist, but he's not a good oil painter. Until you've played with the oil paints, or actually watch a good painter at work, you are not going to go straight from pencil to oil and create a decent work of art. They are two different mediums, and both have to be learned.
    I'd say that a PnP DM that also has experience as PnP Player, is better DM than one that hasn't. As a general rule with it's exceptions.

In any case, devoting 2 or 3 hours to get to level 15 and get to know a bit the game, doesn't seem so "punishing" for those who would enjoy creating content and not playing the game. I'd vote for access for everyone without level restriction or recieving "invites", but level 15 doesn't sound so bad.
    edited January 2013
    I've been a content designer for both NWN1 and 2, built both modules as part of a team and built Persistent worlds. I was a DM since the 80's (in fact, I DMed after my first three play sessions).

I can't agree with your viewpoint, especially in this digital medium. Not knowing how the system works, you won't necessarily be able to build an incredible experience for a player with just PnP experience alone. In NWN, there were plenty of great DMs who were terrible at building modules or adding to the PW. They helped come up with some awesome scripted quests, but I was the one who actually built them into the module.

Having experienced all sides (PnP, client DMing, and content creation), while the abilities feed into each other, they do not replace each other. Most of the awesome content creators for NWN had played through the OC, for a bit at least.

It's my experience you want to play the game for a bit (15 levels or about 2-3 hours sounds about right, based on Cryptic's other games) before starting to make content for it. You'll end up with a better product as a result.

I think there is a heavy misunderstanding here. Foundry is not content designing. It is a tool actually designed for DMs - very much like Legos. You take objects, you place them.

You do not have to know any part of game engine like collision. If you are looking at it as a modding toolset, your perspective is wrong.

You do not "build" modeules. You design levels. Those who have any PnP DM experience, are adaptable and can design mission would find much at home with foundry than a modder of games.

You do not write any scripts, you use simple logic as any DM would.

There is no reason to believe that playing the game for 15 lvls will make you any better at foundry especially when you can test the foundry you design right inside the tool. Infact it might be harmful by constraining the imagination of the foundry author.

It is only a barrier to foundry authors and nothing else.

Reply to EDIT:
    And here is where you are wrong, it is not about drawings and paintings at all - it is about who can place the LEGO boxes toghetehr while being able to adapt the story to foundry.

If you force players to play the game, you will actually end up with very similar content which would be based on the game's content. It will kill any originality.
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Playing a game for a few hours does not make you an expert on its mechanics. Being a good player has no bearing on being a good builder. Being comfortable with a computer and using variuos programs or the ability to learn a new program is what is needed. I know good DM's who couldn't build a decent character, but give them a monster manual and some prebuilts, watch out you were going to need to use all your ablities.

At least that is my opinion from my experiences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • dequixoticdequixotic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No, that isn't how originality works... You don't somehow lose ideas by playing others (especially if they are experienced PnP DMs). It gives you an idea of what is possible within the framework and what isn't while also encouraging you to design more. I don't want PnP DMs designing dungeons without knowing how the game works and how the monsters are balanced for it. Fifteen levels is negligible in terms of time, but is important in terms of understanding the game's systems. The game is free, the tools are free, if the hurdle is playing the game for a few hours I think that most DMs and writers will be willing. If not, then they probably won't be great dungeon designers anyway.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since they are selling Foundry slots, this is a mechanism to encourage people to buy those slots instead of making a bunch of new (and free) accounts.
  • kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    My understanding is that they provide a character slot that comes with the foundry access with which to use to test your quest/module/dungeon/whatever that you create in the foundry. Even if someone hasn't put the 5-10 (maybe more) hours into the story to level to 15, as long as they can run a character through their foundry creation they can do trial and error there to figure things out. Sure they won't necessarily have the potential advantage of having seen 50 levels worth of content from which to draw inspiration from, but many creative people won't necessarily need that. If someone doesn't play, but at least takes the time to run their foundry character through their creation a few times to make sure it works right, that sounds like all we should really need from content creators. Because of the way that I understand the foundry character slot to work, I don't think it should be a level requirement to stop people from accessing the foundry on the basis of "they won't know how everything works" argument. On the other hand, Cryptic and PWE can do whatever they want and apply whatever restrictions they want to their content from a marketing/company perspective.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think there is a heavy misunderstanding here. Foundry is not content designing. It is a tool actually designed for DMs - very much like Legos. You take objects, you place them.

You have used the NWN toolset, right? It's a level designer. It uses assets which exist in the game, tiles, just like you state. And I'm pretty sure the Foundry will let you trigger events like a portal opening if you defeat a foe, or a dialog of some sort. Heck, there should be a way to spawn enemies as well, based on the character entering a room.

If those things aren't present, your PNP DM buddies won't use the foundry because it's so limiting. Unless they just run straight "Diablo" style adventures.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You have used the NWN toolset, right? It's a level designer. It uses assets which exist in the game, tiles, just like you state. And I'm pretty sure the Foundry will let you trigger events like a portal opening if you defeat a foe, or a dialog of some sort. Heck, there should be a way to spawn enemies as well, based on the character entering a room.

If those things aren't present, your PNP DM buddies won't use the foundry because it's so limiting. Unless they just run straight "Diablo" style adventures.

This is exactly how I look at this. For the Foundry to be interesting to me I have to have options. If those options aren't there, I wouldn't use the tool no matter what the entrance requirements are.

Speaking as a veteran NWN and NWN2 builder, I can say with all authority that I would not use the Foundry until I've played the game a bit and understood the game play, even if I had access at lvl 1. How can I design an engaging adventure if I don't understand how the game works? My main concern is the restrictions on races and classes as this is a greater problem when designing an adventure. As a builder, you have to understand the player and what they are capable of.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    mokah wrote: »
    This is exactly how I look at this. For the Foundry to be interesting to me I have to have options. If those options aren't there, I wouldn't use the tool no matter what the entrance requirements are.

Speaking as a veteran NWN and NWN2 builder, I can say with all authority that I would not use the Foundry until I've played the game a bit and understood the game play, even if I had access at lvl 1. How can I design an engaging adventure if I don't understand how the game works? My main concern is the restrictions on races and classes as this is a greater problem when designing an adventure. As a builder, you have to understand the player and what they are capable of.

Agreed. In fact, playing gives you ideas on how to use events in the game engine to accomplish your goal. The best thing you can hope for without familiarity is a hack n slash "kill orc, kill orc, kill orc boss, loot" adventure.
    edited January 2013

No I haven't. But I modded other games, so I know it has a mesh deformation tool(brush and all) and you can use scripts, and pretty much anything as trigger.

The trigger conditions in foundry maybe are very limited and fine tuned to meet the criteria most DM use in their campaigns.

The examples you present are very simplistic examples. Foundry maybe able to do much more - like create an almost sandbox like experience.

The last part will be more of a problem with NWN modders. Lets us wait a few days and see what I mean.
    ~~~~

However, as I said before, it is a suggestion. If you don't like it feel free not to agree with it, but do not generalize and say that those who will not play will be bad at making foundry quests. As I showed earlier, your logic can be flawed due to your generalizing everything from your perspective. It is ok to have your opinion and I don't want to change it, but foundry should be inclusive, not exclusive - and that is the main objective of the solution.

~~~~
    Lastly, I will again reiterate that the functionality of tool might be limited in many areas - like you unable to do simple things like resizing you models, or stuff like that - even when you want a particular trigger in, you may not be able to do it. However, that part has to be covered with imagination.

And being a modder or having experience with other tool will not help or deter you while dealing with foundry - unlike toolset where you need to know game engine physics, balancing issues, mesh deformation (to make sure collisions do not exceed certain value), animation, FX, etc - you will not need to know anything.

An average Joe would be as good as any "experienced" gaming modder - difference being the story, the way they present it and their imagination.
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think there's a couple silly things about this issue:

1. It seems a bit silly to be upset that you have to play a game for a couple hours before you can access another aspect of the game.
    - If something as little as this will upset you so much that you suddenly lost all respect for the game or its developers I just don't even know what to say. Bye I guess?

2. It seems a bit silly for PWE to implement the level 15 requirement to begin with.
    - Playing the game for a few hours isn't going to make a great Foundry designer. Hours upon hours spent playing with tools, great creativity, and the ability to conceive and implement a good story is what will make a great Foundry designer.
    - A player that maxes out one of each class could decide to try their hand at the Foundry and design the worst adventure ever. Experience playing the game, no matter how many hours, can't teach a person how to tell a story, how to think logically, give them a sense of art and style, etc.
    edited January 2013
    mokah wrote: »

*ah I miss kirkfat here, he is good at explaining this stuff*

You do not design on basis of a player. You design you quest on basis of objectives and triggers. Players may change, have any level, may be solo, be of any class, have a full party, may be n00bs, maybe be vets - you will have to design it for all.

It is more of a map architecture type of thing where you go talk to stuff kill monsters and take their loot. That is the basis on which it is built on.

Recently I had a long disagreement with kirkfat where I told him nonlinear quests are possible. However now I understand his viewpoint more. He is right in saying the line in above phara.

Although I am also right when I expressed strongly to him that nonlinearity is possible. However the foundry toolset is not designed to give you anything else than to talk to guy, kill monsters, take their stuff. You can make a sandbox, but that is all using out of box thinking - things that foundry was not designed for.

It is designed for DMs to make D&D quests (like the STO foundry) - but not designed for NWN modelers/level designers etc., or game designers or people like me who have to have experience with other games in modding. A good DM (and a person who can use LEGOs) can make as good a quest as me, maybe better, without knowing all that stuff.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The lvl 15 limit has a couple reasons for being there, from a developer point of view:
    1. It keeps looky-lus from downloading the game and cloging the UGC lists with "Test" adventures.
    2. It allows PWE to dangle cashshop purchases infront of potential customers before they get access to the real "meat" of the game.
    3. It forces people to experience the game and by doing so hopefully make better, more informed UGC.

I will say this, that if there are too many content gates in NWO, I will pass. Being spoon fed content from a cashshop is not something I enjoy or will accept.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    kalizaar wrote: »
    I think there's a couple silly things about this issue:

1. It seems a bit silly to be upset that you have to play a game for a couple hours before you can access another aspect of the game.
    - If something as little as this will upset you so much that you suddenly lost all respect for the game or its developers I just don't even know what to say. Bye I guess?

2. It seems a bit silly for PWE to implement the level 15 requirement to begin with.
    - Playing the game for a few hours isn't going to make a great Foundry designer. Hours upon hours spent playing with tools, great creativity, and the ability to conceive and implement a good story is what will make a great Foundry designer.
    - A player that maxes out one of each class could decide to try their hand at the Foundry and design the worst adventure ever. Experience playing the game, no matter how many hours, can't teach a person how to tell a story, how to think logically, give them a sense of art and style, etc.

Please read my OP post. The whole reason why I am suggesting this. I am not going to stop making ... I mean when I can... foundry quests. It is because it is a barrier to some good prospective foundry authors. I think those who get to make good 5 star quests should be allowed to pick players who do not have to cross this barrier of playing unwillingly when their only interest is in the foundry.

And exactly what I am saying - laying the game has nothing to do with how you make the quest. There is an inbuilt ability to test your quest in a sandbox like environment in game.

Hence, if they are forced to put this barrier to the entry of new authors, there should be some way to remove it - like an established author being able to remove this barrier for others who he knows will help making foundry content.

I do not know why people are so opposed to it, even when it does not affect them.

EDIT:-
    That is pretty much my last post on the issue. As I said, its a suggestion.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's barely a barrier at all unless you are doing one of:

1) creating a bunch of accounts to get around Foundry slot limits, instead of buying the slots
    2) a spammer creating accounts to use the UGC notice boards as ad space

Cryptic has a vested interest in preventing both of those things.

I just don't buy this argument that expecting someone to play a game for a few hours before making UGC is some onerous requirement that's going to drive high-quality content creators away. I rather doubt that the population of people who want to make UGC for games they've never played, and in fact will refuse to make UGC if they must play even a minimal amount, is even remotely large enough to outweigh the above reasons to have it.
    edited January 2013
    No I haven't. But I modded other games, so I know it has a mesh deformation tool(brush and all) and you can use scripts, and pretty much anything as trigger.

We just have very different experiences, then. *shrug* I'm offering a differing opinion than yours, true. But it's no less valid than your assessment that DMs will refuse on principle. Most people played a 20+ hour campaign in NWN (equivalent to level 40 in this game) and then went on to make awesome levels for the community. And that was a LOT of people. At least 20 different award-winning contributors that I knew (personally).

I'm basing my experience off of a toolset which is identical in context to the tile-based Foundry. Events will be more limited, as will the events available. I've lowered my expectations. I've trained up a lot of content creators, quest-creators and whatnot. There were very few that didn't log any hours whatsoever in the client that they were designing a level for.

But I can tell you from the Foundry video, for sure, I'll be more familiar with what to do than someone who has not worked in the NWN toolset at all. Because she's using some very similar commands to manipulate the environment. Hell, even the window layout looks VERY similar, as well as the asset list at the side (areas).

Actually, all of my response is rather pointless. You say "people will refuse on principle to play to level 15 to use the Foundry". I disagree, and know notable exceptions to this statement. An entire community of exceptions, actually.
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If you are going to create a barrier on foundry authors, you should realize who all could be hit by it.

There are many DM who are old and not very interested in games. They have mostly played PnP but they make amazing PnP campaigns. And there are lots of them.

You are loosing quality DM material by creating a barrier for them.

~~~~

To mitigate this barrier and allow them to bypass, I would advise the following suggestion so we can bring that crowd in:-

Allow those with high 5-star rating content to "invite" players directly to foundry. For example, if I get Astral diamonds donation because people like my quests, make it so I can send invite to those unwilling old DMs who I know will make quality content.

If I try to buy it for them, they will refuse on principle. They are not willing to play the game either. So for those stubborn oldies, let an option be there for the betterment of the game. That way we can entice them into making some lore-correct good content.

Thanks.

You confuse me. How do you expect somebody to make quality content when they don't even know how to play the game? Level 15 cap out of 60 seam very reasonable.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.