test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fighter Class Types in NWN

2»

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am surprise this wasn't choose over the 2 handed fighter to give more options to players. Although if I am cynical 2H fighter is restricted purely to 2handed weapons and thus is less work in terms of animation and coding.

All builds will have to be restricted to their subsequent weapon-types. This is obvious as otherwise their class will lose the differentiability which they are selling this game on. The combat mechanics are such that guardian fighter will always need a shield to use its power, rogue will need daggers (to throw and stab) while CW will need implements.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's really not the case as Rangers and Fighters would still have unique abilities that the other does not. 4th edition is much more Ability-oriented and much less Feat-oriented than 3rd edition. The characters one can create with 3e could certainly make a ranger indistinguishable from a fighter, but 4e has more flavor than just your feat choices.

What I meant was that if, thematically, you just want to be a guy that is good at killing things with two swords (or a bow), and don't care about nature stuff, Ranger is still a good choice. You can build a character that is basically like what you'd expect from a dual-wielding Fighter in previous editions. In 3E, in contrast, being a Ranger meant that you also had nature magic.

The 4E Ranger's mechanics are still different from the 4E Fighter's mechanics, of course, but that's not what I was talking about.
  • hamaktohamakto Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Basically, unlike the Neverwinter Nights games, Neverwinter has almost nothing to do with D&D mechanics, of any edition. Its ties are lore and terminology, and little else.

I think this statement sums up my issues with Neverwinter. When playing Neverwinter, I feel like I am playing any one of twenty other MMORG's out there. There is nothing about the play of this that bring any aspect of character buildings or DnD-ness (not really a word, but oh well) into the game. I am really afraid this game is going to just be more white noise in the great scheme of MMORG's.

I know it is far to late, but they really need to go back to the drawing boards on the characters and just let players choose from power trees for core classes. If they want to build a non-optimized character, great.

DnD is about building what you want and RPing from there, not getting spoon fed like every other MMORG.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    So, the Guardian Fighter will be the best tank? (Currently, I mean. I still hope to see Paladin someday).
    Does GF have any skills that will increase his/her Threat, keeping enemies focused on them on not their teammates?
  • omniusmagnariomniusmagnari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    why call it D&D if its not done with the D&D mindset
  • meldarthxmeldarthx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
    edited February 2013
    *chuckles* everyone going its not DnD - when those haven't played it; or remember 4e changed a lot of things *for worse imo but that's something else* 4e - rules which this game is Basis for - not 3 - not ADnD - no 2; not 3.5.....looking at any other rule set will just get you saying no this isn't based on DnD......

It is - they are following set of named classes in 4e - way the classes *basics* is set up; is the way they are doing this game. Is there freedom in way things are set up? Not so much - think in the terms of more premade characters handed too you on a PnP session. Later on; we'll have the chance to make things much more to what we want.

Seriously until you've actually played the beta - conjecture; guessing moaning about something that you don't honestly know about serves nothing.....

Am I annoyed there isn't a ranger *duel wield of course* or paladin in yet? yes; but I know they will be at some point; for now I'm going to enjoy the game when I actually get a chance to play.......;)
  • torgrimmertorgrimmer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zenzee wrote: »
    never played d&d 3.x or 4e? The table top game system pushes you (as a fighter) to pick a weapon and stick with it for all 20-30 levels. This is pure 3-4e d&d.

tyvm for telling the truth. :)
  • korbanhodkorbanhod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    But we need a dual wielding class. Oh dear LAWRD! I want would personally want one from launch :D Except the rogue.

Anyone who doesn't want to gimp their own character, should totally follow the advice the post above me is saying. Only SO select few are not hindered by taking more than one weapon of choice.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hamakto wrote: »
    Please correct me if I missed something on the forums (I tried to catch things up). But as I understand it if you make a GWF, and you later want to go Sword and Board style (due to some loot or trades).

You are sorta out of luck for your character.

Or am I missing something in the game setup? This narrow pidgeon-holeing of characters and their feat trees could very well be a disaster.

Having everything defined for a fighter based on a weapon (equipment) choice that is locked in at 1st level is... well... difficult to equate to DnD.

Ham
    And that is why you will have alts. By the time CoH was done I had close to 70 max level characters, set by their primary and secondary more than by the archtype. I had close to 20 blasters, and no two played alike. I imagine things will work the same here, and I have no problem with that at all.
  • perfect1gamer1perfect1gamer1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Back in my day, it was called a fighter. Not guardian, or heavy weapons fighter. just fighter. And we liked it!! All you young whippersnappers, and yer prepackaged box classes. Not like the old days I tell ya.
  • perfect1gamer1perfect1gamer1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    heh. remember when AC went down to get better, but magic item went up to get better? sigh. good times.