test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do we keep our closed beta characters?

meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I just had a terrible thought. I imagined creating a great character in closed beta only to have it deleted when the game goes public...

Since I've never been involved with a closed beta, I wanted ask... Will my characters survive the switch over from closed to open?

Also, will the dungeons I create with the Foundry in closed beta still be there once the game moves to beta?

I mean, if not, I'll still play, but I'll probably play a class and a race I'd never play for a permanent character. Like a Human Great Weapon Fighter or something...
"Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
Post edited by meldroth on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No. It is a practice to have complete wipe after closed beta for a reason - PWE always implements cash shop after complete wipe of CB data.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    As of the past several years in game testing, things have changed were many games are allowing end-testing characters in open beta to be saved onto live servers. However, I have not heard of one game that allowed either Alpha or Closed Beta characters on into release.
  • pariahoyamapariahoyama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 48
    edited January 2013
    Most of the time there is a character wipe before launch. One would assume that sad eventuality will be the case here too. You can never tell though.
    edited January 2013
    Yeah PWE generally allows Open Beta's data to carry on - though it never promises there would be no wipe. However, after CB, if you have a promotional mount from some magzine or such, PWE usually gives it to you again just as you got it in CB.
  • percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited January 2013
    In order to keep the economy and equality of the game in tact, MMO's ALWAYS wipe characters after beta. Thats why it is good to try all different characters and actually TEST during a betatest (ill give you a minute to let that sink in, considering that most people use betas as a pre-release gaming extravaganza.).
    Try all the different things, try to repeat bugs that have been listed, try to do stupid things, and test different characters. That way upon release you'll know what you want to play.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAH just play the game!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Most of the time there is a character wipe before launch. One would assume that sad eventuality will be the case here too. You can never tell though.

It is also neccesary to be fair to those who were not able to access CB - otherwise those having open beta would be considers as having unfair headstart not allowed to OB users which would be bad and cause much bloodshed on forums.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Ok! Thanks! Then I will make sure not to create a character I will get *too* attached to.

"Arise, my creation! Ah, but little do you know of the horrible fate that awaits you... Yet I will use you until you die, and laugh as your body is destroyed...!"

Melee class or wizard here I come I guess...
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Most of my Closed Betas had wipes every few weeks if they were very long due to the new stuff and trying to make sure you know how it works from the start. Ive also had some where it only wipes once in closed beta and before open beta, but Ive never had any form of beta carry my characters over to the Full Game.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Just some Open Betas that carried on into Release are:

Lord of the Rings Online
    TERA
    Lineage
    Lineage 2
    Knight Online
    Dofus Online
    RaiderZ

After starting to look further into this, I decided to stop as just about any MMO released in the past year or two hasn't had a wipe at the end of Open Beta and I'd end up listing almost every new MMO. Closed Beta seem to always wipe, yes. But generally its become less and less the norm for MMOs to wipe the end of Open Beta.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Hmmm... So the more I think, the more I guess I'll just try out every combination possible....

Oh, wait, that's what they *want* me to do. Clever.

Really curious to see the Cleric, considering they haven't shown us much of anything on it.

And good point, Percadin. I will attempt to summon my stupidity and seek out bugs. Should be fun, especially since I'll have chance to shape the final game.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Don't forget to test out builds or powers you would normally bypass in a pen and paper version of D&D. Porting to the computer with live action and graphics makes a lot of avoided and skipped choices work differently.
  • rahverahve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited January 2013
    Can't say for sure of course, but I believe at most you'll get to save your character's name. Think of it, the game release data is the day it goes live, and that's exactly the day that you can begin to create your release characters (pre-release and pre-launch events aside).
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

- W.E.H.
    edited January 2013
    rahve wrote: »
    Can't say for sure of course, but I believe at most you'll get to save your character's name. Think of it, the game release data is the day it goes live, and that's exactly the day that you can begin to create your release characters (pre-release and pre-launch events aside).
    There'd be little point to saving one's name since with the Cryptic Engine, character names are only unique per account since it uses the @handle system. I explained this here.
  • spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't know any games that didn't wipe closed beta characters. Open beta is a different matter. But generally, even in open beta, the time where you get to keep your character is fairly short (a few days).
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wonder if they'll be wiping Foundry content at release.
  • zadenadoszadenados Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    As of the past several years in game testing, things have changed were many games are allowing end-testing characters in open beta to be saved onto live servers. However, I have not heard of one game that allowed either Alpha or Closed Beta characters on into release.

i introduce you to firefall.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    tinyish wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll be wiping Foundry content at release.

If all goes according to plan, no. Cryptic aims to preserve all Foundry Content throughout the testing phases.
    Now excuse me while I attempt to hide from the helicopters, swat team...etc.
  • gerigeri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    from my experience in other CB's , yea , most CB chars are wiped.

there was one game i was in a CB in , where in it's FINAL stage of CB before OB started , that we kept our chars after the final CB , but the final CB was only a few days , so it wasnt an extreme loss.

i wouldnt worry about lsosing a char that way, hopefully the least Neverwinter will do for us , is AFTER deleting our chars , at least allow us to keep our CB char names intact, so when OB comes , some one else doesnt gank our char names
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If all goes according to plan, no. Cryptic aims to preserve all Foundry Content throughout the testing phases.
    Now excuse me while I attempt to hide from the helicopters, swat team...etc.

NDA PD, freeze!
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
    edited January 2013
    zadenados wrote: »
    zebular wrote: »
    i introduce you to firefall.
    Firefall is still in Closed Beta Testing, it is having a public CBT test this weekend though.