test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Think the game will get released this quarter?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    For the record, I would not consider anything past June (end of Q2) as still "early" in the year (regarding the early 2013 phrase)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For the record, I would not consider anything past June (end of Q2) as still "early" in the year (regarding the early 2013 phrase)

Do not assume any date until a date has actually been announced. Early 2013, Summer 2013 etc. are just teasers. They say it like that because its an estimate and date has not yet been decided. They may even release it in 2014 for all we know.

So early 2013 is an educated guess of devs - like they see a new car riding with 80mph on 140 miles track and they say, it will arrive within an hour or two. It may slow down, break up on the way - many things can happen. (or a hippie may stop the car asking for a ride, and may turn out to be a cute serial killer...)

They will announce actual date "like arrival at 1800 hours" only when they are sure it will not break down.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I was just saying. I'm a very patient person; I'm not even planning on getting into alpha or beta and could even wait another year for release (of course, tension and expectations around here rise with every day that passes). I guess I feel I can give just as valuable feedback in the forums as I could in beta testing, even from a more common sense and abstract point of view since I'm not being directly influenced by the game itself. I'm more of a "what if?" kind of person rather than looking for faults in things............
  • Options
    sterminiosterminio Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    imho we'll have it on second or last quarter. not in q1
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    i dont see the game being released until the Neverwinter series is concluded witrh The Last Threshold (2013) .
    i think some time in March, i think the game and book could come out side by side or the game will come out slightly after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I was just saying. I'm a very patient person............

Well, you can be patient, I am not.

Where haz my beta!!!! :p
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Couple thoughts....just looking at what is being said and done currently I would say that they are five or six months from launch which would bring it to late August/Early September. I expect the game to have a soft launch and not make that much fan-fair ...that isn't to say the game won't do well it's just that Marketing has totally destroyed any chance of momentum or excitement this game might offer.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Couple thoughts....just looking at what is being said and done currently I would say that they are five or six months from launch which would bring it to late August/Early September. I expect the game to have a soft launch and not make that much fan-fair ...that isn't to say the game won't do well it's just that Marketing has totally destroyed any chance of momentum or excitement this game might offer.

Few have been more critical of Cryptic's marketing decisions in 2012 than I... but in late 2012 something changed for the better. They started recognizing us more here on the forums, and really started communicating with us. Still don't get it?

Then how would you explain TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN PAGES (and going one every 2 minutes appx) of requests to win an alpha key in less then 48 HOURS!?

The way I see it? There is no way to look at this than to credit the PCGamer cover story as a HUGE success for Cryptic. To do anything different is not being truthful to one's self.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As far as my opinion on when the game gets released, its impossible to guess at this point. 2012 was a quiet year for only one reason, they were working on the game. The question is when do they turn the light green for beta testers. Storm wasnt really that far off in one aspect. It depends on the quality of alpha testers and Cryptic's willingness to listen and adapt code.

The fact that they... clearly... are not rushing the game out asap is a great sign. I am nowhere near nieve, and I still disagree with the quiet treatment we received in early-mid 2012. But you know what, maybe they were just not satisfied with their work yet and only now are feeling good about it all. The longer they wait, the more polish... the more they add.. the more they get things right. Then beta folks get a crack, and turn the wrench further. They told us a lot in that PCGamer story, if you read between the lines.

I'll guess, as I did in my podcast in October, for an April '13 closed beta start. Will I be close? who knows...

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    snickxsnickx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Depends if they think public beta testing is effective or not. These days companies are realizing 3-6 months testing from people who aren't developers/testers, and often aren't even veteran MMO players, is a real waste of time.

Which means by the time some games hit public beta testing it is mostly to raise publicity; as the game is already finished.

Yes, I realize public beta testing has its advantages and there are very smart people out there who will find real problems/suggest great ideas. The problem is a team of 100 paid game testers can accomplish in a month what public beta testers will often accomplish in 6 months.

So, final stance? If Cryptic feel comfortable with their game, you could expect to see a very short beta process and release shortly after. I think people who are speculating Q4 2013 is a little bit over the top.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Did they every say Q1? I think people misconstrued what they said of "early of next year" as the the earliest point and not into the year like Q2 which is still early in the year. Highly doubtful that we'll see a Q1 release but a Q2 is perfectly feasable and likely or we could quite possibly see a Q3 release. This will have to be a wait n see with how the alpha and beta stages progress.
  • Options
    snickxsnickx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Originally the date was late-end 2012, so we're already into slippage dates now.

There was speculation flying around that beta was supposed to commence in October of last year and run until Feb this year; again that didn't happen.

Generally the game seems to of hit a wall somewhere and no one really knows how close they are sadly.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    snickx wrote: »
    Depends if they think public beta testing is effective or not. These days companies are realizing 3-6 months testing from people who aren't developers/testers, and often aren't even veteran MMO players, is a real waste of time.

Which means by the time some games hit public beta testing it is mostly to raise publicity; as the game is already finished.

Yes, I realize public beta testing has its advantages and there are very smart people out there who will find real problems/suggest great ideas. The problem is a team of 100 paid game testers can accomplish in a month what public beta testers will often accomplish in 6 months.

So, final stance? If Cryptic feel comfortable with their game, you could expect to see a very short beta process and release shortly after. I think people who are speculating Q4 2013 is a little bit over the top.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts in the alpha key disscussion. But I do agree that Beta's are really just marketing tactics more than anything else. Just look at all the beta key chances, all were promos of some sort and literally one paid for beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    snickx wrote: »

Actually it is not. Devs themselves already test their products, and they have internal testing already done.

Now they want a different opinion from someone for whom the game is desinged. Hence the addition of ordinary gamer which gives execellent feedback.

One example - if you are a foundry authors, other foundry authors ay test your quest and say cool, but the real tester would be one who is playing foundery quest fro first time. I would always cosider that erson's feedbacka s more important and more in sync with what would be the ground reality when my product gets released.

e.g. I have have 20 cool sub-quests which other foundry authors may comment and say cool, but if they are hard to find for normal users, most will be dissappointed from quest saying its too short.
    A simple feedback from a normal user who tells me - too short, I say did you not do subquest, user tells me - what sub-quest?

I go and modify dialogs making sub-quests easy to find.
  • Options
    utuku44utuku44 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It should be released when it's ready, if that's q2 then so be it.
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No chance they will release Q1. Probably won't even release in Q2 since they haven't even started CB and it's mid Jan already. they must be slightly behind on some of their milestones from my guess.
  • Options
    wodny1988wodny1988 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Summer is my guess. :)
  • Options
    rofehrrofehr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wodny1988 wrote: »
    Summer is my guess. :)
    Summer 2014 :)
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My guess is that the Alpha keys given out today are for a round of stress tests and will be very short unless they uncover major stability issues. Then Closed Beta Q1, a very short Open Beta Q2, and release late Q2 or first few weeks of Q3.

Then a major patch 3-6 weeks in to put back in some things they will pull before launch to improve based on Beta feedback.

Also, pick a card, any card.

Your card is the Queen of Hearts.
  • Options
    cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm just going to go back to drooling over my 4e handbooks until I hear something.
    (that and post here like 340 times a day)
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Keep in mind early 2013 doesn't necessarily mean Q1 early could be anywhere from Jan to Apr
  • Options
    jez777jez777 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Scaling to internet proportions is the hardest thing to test without crowd sourcing.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My guess is that the Alpha keys given out today are for a round of stress tests and will be very short unless they uncover major stability issues. Then Closed Beta Q1, a very short Open Beta Q2, and release late Q2 or first few weeks of Q3.

Then a major patch 3-6 weeks in to put back in some things they will pull before launch to improve based on Beta feedback.

Also, pick a card, any card.

Your card is the Queen of Hearts.
    Not even close, and is this your card?
    *Shows Joker*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Not even close, and is this your card?
    *Shows Joker*

I am quite convinced we have real D&D players who don't read but decide everything with a roll of dice.

*takes the joker card, and peels off its skin - a string of text with a quote of cryticmapolis saying alpha is not a marketing ploy comes out*

No need of this truth, you forgot the wallpaper I made you - Words of Wisdom : Often praised, seldom read

NWWallFAQs.jpg
  • Options
    jez777jez777 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    seldom read... because it hurts your eyes...