test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Wiki

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Years ago I raised the issue about having an official wiki. For the time being we used a placeholder but too many advertisements on the website made us give it up halfway, though a lot of it has been updated and contains a lot of information thanks to few contributing users.

I believe it is time we get our wiki. The new users have started coming to forums and they need something to pass time and keep the buzz awake.

Can we have an official wiki like CO and STO?

EDIT:
@adaram, did you started this wiki on wikia?

EDIT2:
I will copy all that info and add some more from my thread and keep it as a placeholder somewhere else for the time being. The advt are quite annoying there actually.
I will just make a webpage and put it on my google site while waiting for official wiki I think...
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I vote for Zeb to get on this. The man knows everything about FR anyways, if anyone should do it I'd say call him.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    valas625 wrote: »
    I vote for Zeb to get on this. The man knows everything about FR anyways, if anyone should do it I'd say call him.

I think you are missing the point. A wiki is supposed to be a place where everybody participates and everybody can edit. Also, main point is when cryptic is providing us with that.

Also I am sure, Zebular who almost single handedly edited and corrected large parts of previous wiki, would contribute too - and I hope many many more come up to make a wiki which is helpful and informative o users.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Hey thanks! I do love the Realms and aye, I'll be in love with an official Wiki, going on detailing binges I am sure. I've not delt with the afore-mentioned wiki in a while though due to a few reasons. Mostly due lack of official game info that comes with beta and release - else said wiki will just turn into a new version of the FR Wiki with a few mentions of some "video game."

I'd expect that the Official Wiki space will come once Public Testing has started, if not soon after. I am all for it coming sooner, as it would be nice to have it in place, ready to be filled with game information.
  • Options
    aguemortaguemort Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All over it guys... I've got the domain all set up, just getting the wiki setup and then i'll post the link to it... :) Happy editing...
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nice! Keep up the good work!!!
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yea an active wiki, even with the little we know so far would be useful.

And yea imo it would be better if its not official. Official wikis are far too often far too heavily moderated, which limits productivity imo. Plus it would most likely be attached to your game account, so if you get in trouble for posting something the legal guys at pw/cryptic dont like on the official wiki, you could suffer repercussion to your main game account.

That's how DDOs is anyways, and due to that, no one uses the ofificial wiki - even Turbine mostly ignores it, while the player-run wiki is very active.

Far easier/safer and more productive to have an open, fairly player-moderated, player-run wiki.

So yea the one aguemort is setting up might be our best bet.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, the wiki is set up... It's nothing special at the moment, just basically a raw installation with a couple additions. Anyways, the URL is:

http://nwowiki.co

Head on over and let's get the editing started! Stop by my talk page to see my current list of to-do's and feel free to add some of your own ideas to the list!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well met, Neverwinter Community! Ague here, wanting to spread the good word about the Neverwinter Online Wiki! We're looking for some active editors to come on over and do your thing! I realize that there's not a whole lot of concrete information out just yet, but let's get the framework for the wiki set up now, so when there is tons of things to add, we'll be ready!

Experience is not required, but the willingness to learn is. Come on over and let's get the wiki all set up and ready to go! :cool:

Just follow the link in my signature, or just click here: http://nwowiki.co

~~Ague
  • Options
    extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    Yea an active wiki, even with the little we know so far would be useful.

And yea imo it would be better if its not official. Official wikis are far too often far too heavily moderated, which limits productivity imo. Plus it would most likely be attached to your game account, so if you get in trouble for posting something the legal guys at pw/cryptic dont like on the official wiki, you could suffer repercussion to your main game account.

That's how DDOs is anyways, and due to that, no one uses the ofificial wiki - even Turbine mostly ignores it, while the player-run wiki is very active.

Far easier/safer and more productive to have an open, fairly player-moderated, player-run wiki.

So yea the one aguemort is setting up might be our best bet.

I'd like to see a non official wiki as well. I didn't get a chance to play in the last beta did you Shade?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • Options
    klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aguemort wrote: »

<- Registered.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    klaw10 wrote: »
    <- Registered.

Awesome, nice to see! Look forward to working with it when I get a chance to play
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd love to help, but i don't really have time to spare atm. I just want to make you know you have my full support.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    By the way the reason I want to volunteer and an example of a perfectly done wiki can be found here. Just look at this page.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good luck with the wiki guys! :)
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    slowshieldslowshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wiki benefits everyone! Thanks for your efforts!
    <Archons> +8 GMT Oceanic Guild, 300 Member Strong @ Dragon Server!
    banner.png
    Silverblade (60 TR), Silver (60 DC), SilverShield (60 GF), SilverStorm (60 CW), Ultimate (60 GWF)
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Very cool. I've started to do some fleshing out of some of the pages(as well as creating a few new ones) on nwowiki.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    jimhonjimhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    Here's some info to update your racial perks to beta weekend 1 values.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?39221-Character-Creation-Info!
  • Options
    atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There aren't too many external resources for this game yet, unlike the Neverwinter Nights series. Good luck on this endeavor! we need it :D
    Home of the Amazons - Play a female character?
    Server: Mindflayer
    [EST 2008. A themed community of gamers & roleplayers]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the support everyone! With this kind of support, the wiki will undoubtedly be a success!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Love the new logo :).

Edit: Actually it looks different on the white background with the dark shading, makes it look more 3d, nevermind.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The Wiki is coming along rather nicely. :cool: I'm still fine tuning the main page and tweaking spam filters and such, and Shaudius is working hard adding tons of content. Stop on over and if you have any ideas on how to make the wiki better, make a post about in on the main page discussion tab.

The bulk of the templates and page framework will very likely be ready for beta weekend 2, so don't forget to take some notes while you're playing and help us make the wiki better!

~Ague
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nice work ague, thanks for setting this up for everyone. Good karma is coming to you, I'm sure!
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Beta weekend #2 is quickly approaching and the wiki is going to be booming with edits next weekend. We are going to be needing some editors to help fill in the gaps (and there's a LOT of gaps!) that are currently on the wiki. To help alleviate everyone only taking notes on one topic (ie armor, or spells), here's a list of all the major portals that we have or are going to have setup before the beta weekend. i ask that all interested editors pick a topic of interest and post what you are going to be working on here. This way we don't have 20 people working on the same idea and 1 on this topic and 2 on that topic. It'll make for more organized and expedient population of the wiki.
    • Armor (with sub-focus of armor type)
    • Character Creation (already has some content, please see the wiki to what holes need to be filled)
    • The Foundry (if it is up)
    • Items (consumables, misc worn items[will prob give own seperate category])
    • Lore
    • Monsters
    • NPC's
    • Magic (anything magic related)
    • Quests (to include public areas and any associated quests)
    • Weapons (with sub-focus on weapon type)
    • Any other major category that I may have overlooked (please let me know asap so I can get the portal setup.)

So as you can see, there's a lot to still get added and we're going to be relying on all of our editors to be making edits during the upcoming 2 beta weekends. Between the beta weekends and launch (provided there's no other open betas) all the information that was entered during the beta weekends will have templates made and applied so we can keep the information as organized and accessible as possible.

So go ahead and get registered and familiarized with the wiki layout before this weekend. If anyone has any good suggestions as far as layout goes, please feel free to open a discussion about it on the home pages discussion page.

I want to thank all of the current and future editors for all of your help thus far and for all the help you will be doing for the wiki in the future. Let's get together as a community and make the wiki the definitive resource for Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Just wanted to drop a line to the community about the wiki. It's coming along nicely now, we have over 120 pages and growing! So if you are wanting to help out your fellow adventurer, stop on by, register, and add some info! We have a long way to go with thousands of edits left to do. :D So stop on by and give us a helping hand. Every edit is much appreciated.

~~Ague
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well the official wiki has been launched and, of course, it's full of ads.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    klaw10 wrote: »
    Well the official wiki has been launched and, of course, it's full of ads.

Ads? What ads?

*hugs Adblock*