test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drow, How to say it?

lordjustice72lordjustice72 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Do you pronounce it Drow, like crow? (which is how I see it)
Or Drow like cow?
Post edited by lordjustice72 on

Comments

• remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Drow like cow imo.

But I pronounce it Underscum.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Talk to anyone who use to work at TSR or who works at Wotc today, or talk to Authors like, Salvatore, Golden, Grubb, or Cook and you will see it's always Drow which rhymes with cow.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Drow like cow imo.

*chuckles madly*
    Talk to anyone who use to work at TSR or who works at Wotc today, or talk to Authors like, Salvatore, Golden, Grubb, or Cook and you will see it's always Drow which rhymes with cow.

Indeed, over the years I have heard authors, TSR and WotC officials and IIRC even Ed himself pronounces it 'd-rou. Take the "dr" sound from "dragon" and as storm said, the "ow" from cow, put them together to sound out "'d-rou"
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Drow make you go Ow. ;)

I was expecting to hear the Dr-ow Th-row debate when I opened this thread, but aye, Drow most certainly rhymes with cow and is generally accepted as Dr from Dragon although some do accent it in a way which sounds like Thr-ow.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Interestingly enough there's been more debate here over, oops...excuse me a moment...

*gets 10-foot pole, ready now, and continues touching this subject*

...over if it were Drow the fantasy supported or Drows the other old 18th century literature for this group's (or plural) spelling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Interestingly enough there's been more debate here over, oops...excuse me a moment...

*gets 10-foot pole, ready now, and continues touching this subject*

...over if it were Drow the fantasy supported or Drows the other old 18th century literature for this group's (or plural) spelling.

Yes according to my English lit professor Sir Walter Scott wrote about Caledonian fairies who were referred to as Drow and did actually rhyme with throw....still if it's D&D it rhymes with cow.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    But let's have more fun with this shall we?

Ol zhah biu bel'la ulu zhaun dos jal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How now, brown drow? I mean cow.
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    How now, brown drow? I mean cow.

lu'oh nin, olath'yukin al'vur?
  • marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

L'bel'la zhah udosst Truth, lu'bel'la dos
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Kolsen'shea orbb!
  • usmcm1a1usmcm1a1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It depends. The earliest canon work (1985) to give pronunciation for drow (Dragon Magazine, #93) says it is /droʊ/ (as in "throw"). But more recent (1989, 2008) canon stuff (Dragon Magazine #142, official TSR D&D FAQ) use /draʊ/ (as in "cow" or "now'). Americans usually use the later, but in my experience UK gamers used the former.
    edited December 2012
    The english language is subject to interpretation beyond compare. I don't consider any person in the world an expert or an authority in pronounciation.

Here is my reasoning, my proof and the bottom line.

"I read books."

That is a complete sentence however it doesn't state which tense the sentence is supposed to be read in therefore that sentence can be correctly read both as "I reed books" and "I red books."
    So while there may be words like throw, blow and bellow which put out an "oh" sound there are also words like cow, wow and bow which stress the w.
    So with this understanding the only people who can dictate which is right and which is wrong is the people who thought up the wording.

Another Example is:
    Runescape's continent is Gilenor. Correctly read with Enlish ruling it's Jillennor. According to the creators it's pronounced Guillennor.

So, in the case of Drow the only thing which matters is how the creators, in this case Wizards (formerly TSR), dictate it is supposed to be read. Find some examples of them saying the word and we'll have our answer because the English language has no bearing.
    However the lack of dictation implies they may have chosen to simply let players of different locallities choose their own way to proounce it.

I know I went many years saying MenzobEranzan with my New York accent throwing the syllibles out as one word. R.A. Salvatore however puts huge accentuation on each syllable making the correct pronounciation Menzo Bare Anne Zanne.

TL/DR:
    Creators control pronounciation, not the shattered lawless exception-filled Enlish language.
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Drow like cow imo.

Hmm... interesting. Very interesting.

Where was it that I was to mail those demonic spiders again?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I believe in old Danish the word for troll and drow were the same. I won't even try to pronounce or spell it, but I'll keep pronouncing it Drow(Droe). Cause I like the way it rolls.
    e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
    edited December 2012
    I believe in old Danish the word for troll and drow were the same. I won't even try to pronounce or spell it, but I'll keep pronouncing it Drow(Droe). Cause I like the way it rolls.

Yes and not even trying to say it either since I almost never see Danish let alone hear it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]