test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The d&d cleric (and why cleric wears heavy armour)

denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Temple
This is based on the whole d&d history: clerics have always been "battlefield priests", since the first d&d edition. This is why they are allowed to wear the heaviest armours and, often, to bear shields. This is because they are present in the front lines of the battlefield, inspiring and healing. They are not ranged casters by default, but melee casters.

Their weapon proficiency is limited by the time they can train weapons (which is little, since they must pursue their holy service) and limited by "fluff" choice: since the classical templars in XII-XIII century used only blunt weapons (as a form of possible mercy), the blunt weapon (like the mace, or the morningstar) has become often the "mandatory" weapon for clerics.

These specifics has changed a lot during the history of d&d: for instance some 3.5 clerics of various domains (for instance war domain) was able to use longswords or other superior weapons. In ad&d kits dramatically changed the cleric class, making the player able to create a whole serie of different templates.

In 4th edition, initially, the cleric was able to wear only chain armour, and to use simple weapon and the holy symbol. While the holy symbol is the best implement in the game (at least space-wise), the lack of shield proficiency and scale armour proficiency hurt a lot melee cleric builds. This is why 99% of the builds, at the start of 4e, were "lazer clerics": ranged casters wearing chain armour; anyway, since chain AC is (strangely, but unfortunately) one of the lowest in the game, clerics were basically forced to buy shield or scale proficiency with feats. This has changed by the addition of new (and better) feats designed to help clerics: battle (melee) clerics were able to buy weapon and shield proficiency with only one feat, and devoted clerics got a whole new build that buffed incredibly the control-side of the class. With dragon 400, finally, clerics can easily get scale armor + light shield proficiency without any cost, making them one of the most bulkier leader.

If you're interested, i can add other informations about the cleric class in 4e
Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
Post edited by denkasaeba on

Comments

• Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    This is based on the whole d&d history: clerics have always been "battlefield priests", since the first d&d edition. This is why they are allowed to wear the heaviest armours and, often, to bear shields. This is because they are present in the front lines of the battlefield, inspiring and healing. They are not ranged casters by default, but melee casters.

Their weapon proficiency is limited by the time they can train weapons (which is little, since they must pursue their holy service) and limited by "fluff" choice: since the classical templars in XII-XIII century used only blunt weapons (as a form of possible mercy), the blunt weapon (like the mace, or the morningstar) has become often the "mandatory" weapon for clerics.

These specifics has changed a lot during the history of d&d: for instance some 3.5 clerics of various domains (for instance war domain) were able to use longswords or other superior weapons. In ad&d kits dramatically changed the cleric class, making it able to create a whole serie of different templates.

In 4th edition, initially, the cleric was able to wear only chain armour, and to use simple weapon and the holy symbol. While the holy symbol is the best implement in the game (at least space-wise), the lack of shield proficiency and scale armour proficiency hurt a lot melee cleric builds. This is why 99% of the builds, at the start of 4e, were "lazer clerics": ranged casters wearing chain armour; anyway, since chain AC is (strangely, but unfortunately) one of the lowest in the game, clerics were basically forced to buy shield or scale proficiency with feats. This has changed by the addition of new (and better) feats designed to help clerics: battle (melee) clerics were able to buy weapon and shield proficiency with only one feat, and devoted clerics got a whole new build that buffed incredibly the control-side of the class. With dragon 400, finally, clerics can easily get scale armor + light shield proficiency without any cost, making them one of the most bulkier leader.

If you're interested, i can add other informations about the cleric class in 4e

Nicely done, except the clerics and domains really started in 2e actually under the "spheres," Faiths and Avatars locked the FR "Specialty Priests" we think of which makes a cleric a cleric but a follower of Kelvanor a Doomguide wielding a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Sword, and Faiths and Avatars pretty much caused what we saw for the 3rd ed Domains and the remaining specialty classes like then monks and cavaliers. But semantics.

Spheres, Domains...the idea is the ever changing cleric from no edged weapons, to diety specialty to specialized classes to clerics of mythos to the 4th ed ranged cleric and finally the scale armor they so rightly deserved!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Nicely done, except the clerics and domains really started in 2e actually under the "spheres," Faiths and Avatars locked the FR "Specialty Priests" we think of which makes a cleric a cleric but a follower of Kelvanor a Doomguide wielding a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Sword, and Faiths and Avatars pretty much caused what we saw for the 3rd ed Domains and the remaining specialty classes like then monks and cavaliers. But semantics.

Spheres, Domains...the idea is the ever changing cleric from no edged weapons, to diety specialty to specialized classes to clerics of mythos to the 4th ed ranged cleric and finally the scale armor they so rightly deserved!

About Spheres & Domains: yeah, we can say that the cleric is a collection of different classes, at very least from 2nd edition. A Cleric of Shar is very different (not only fluffwise) from a Cleric of Helm. The difference in domain spells and features changed drastically how a character was built in 3.5 and, even in 4e, domains changed a lot how a character was built.

About the scale armour: yeah, they badly needed it. As i said, Chain armour is great at level 1, but it decays slowly. Since most wizards take Leather Proficiency (or Unarmored Agility, that is basically the same stuff) as one of the first feats, Clerics usually had one of the worst AC in the game. The short range of the spells and the usually low initiative (but that was fixed) didn't help either. Overall the Cleric class in this edition is trumped, and trumped hard, by the Warlord (and some people say that Shamans and Bards are superior too).

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I'd be pretty disappointed if I couldn't wear heavy armor, use a shield, and bash monsters with a mace or morningstar as a cleric. I don't expect him to be as melee capable, in offense or defense, as a fighter, and I don't mind having to multiclass/ feat spec to make it happen. I just hope the option is out there. I can adapt.
  • Options
    sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    TI had to remove my post when I found out this was a public forum. Apolgies.
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Snowstormz, you are right. My experience of 1st edition is very limited. But, if you read my post, i've never talked about "plate" armor, just about "heavy". I think this is different. Basically only in ad&d and 3rd edition players were able to use plate since the very beginning of the game (and not at level 1, because it's still expensive).

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Unfortunately for me, I had put in a page long response and it was truncated by the quick reply. This was my first post. Sorry about that. I would Like to elaborate more. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, and I'm actually very upset that my post was truncated. I went on in length to talk about the subject. I don't have the patience to re-write it all until I figure out how to bypass the quick reply truncation. Hoping the "Go Advanced" button helps.
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    sn0wst0rmz wrote: »
    Unfortunately for me, I had put in a page long response and it was truncated by the quick reply. This was my first post. Sorry about that. I would Like to elaborate more. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, and I'm actually very upset that my post was truncated. I went on in length to talk about the subject. I don't have the patience to re-write it all until I figure out how to bypass the quick reply truncation. Hoping the "Go Advanced" button helps.
    Don't use special characters. The forum has a bug with displaying special characters, such as the special "u" in Faerun. Any special characters entered will be omitted along with everything after them. If you're typing up a long post, it is best to copy it and paste it into Notepad just in case until we get this forum bug resolved. Also, sometimes the act of copying and pasting into the editor will instigate the omission of parts of a post.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, also editing and NOT going Advanced allows what was typed to be saved. Unfortunately after typing all of this using notepad, I can say the truncation happens not just with special characters, but a yet unknown font switch combination apparently. Either remove all formatting BB code for fonts or never leave the basic editor when posting and editing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeoxzzeoxz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    just saying

in RL..
    blunt weapon works better on armored opponents then blades
    so templars arming themselfs with blunts just as a form of mercy is highly debatable =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    valandur1valandur1 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    zeoxz wrote: »
    just saying

in RL..
    blunt weapon works better on armored opponents then blades
    so templars arming themselfs with blunts just as a form of mercy is highly debatable =/

Hehe true! After seeing what a mace can do to a piece of plate armor, and its occupant! Cleric's could well be known as pain bringers as well as pain healers. I recall Gary Gygax saying once that his initial vision for the Cleric class came from groups like the knights Templar and the Order of St. John (I think). Battlefield healers, able to stand amid a raging battle and heal.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh, I found this image

Neverwinter-China.jpg

Via this thread - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?22601-Selection-screen

It appears to show clerics wearing chain. We can hope that they can upgrade later on?
  • Options
    tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Starting with chainmail is canon for 4e tabletop, and I'm not surprised they stuck with it. In most cases chain is probably sufficient for a lot of cleric builds - they're not supposed to be tanks. If the cleric draws agro or is being focused down, something is probably wrong, and the cleric will want the mobility chain offers.

Now, a paladin is a totally different fish...
    [SIGPIC]Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.[/SIGPIC]
    Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
  • Options
    zenzeezenzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tiima1 wrote: »
    Starting with chainmail is canon for 4e tabletop, and I'm not surprised they stuck with it. In most cases chain is probably sufficient for a lot of cleric builds - they're not supposed to be tanks. If the cleric draws agro or is being focused down, something is probably wrong, and the cleric will want the mobility chain offers.

Now, a paladin is a totally different fish...

In 4e Scale is better. It actually has no penalties other than one less square of movement.
  • Options
    tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    True, and a lot of optimized character builds pick up scale proficiency as a feat.
    [SIGPIC]Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.[/SIGPIC]
    Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    for some reason i looked at the cleric char image posted above and
    i tot they look so star trek-ish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    valandur1 wrote: »
    It appears to show clerics wearing chain. We can hope that they can upgrade later on?

Hopefully battle clerics will be upgraded to Scale+Light Shield.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    for some reason i looked at the cleric char image posted above and
    i tot they look so star trek-ish

That's true, the cloak clasps and design of the tunics do resemble a Starfleet uniform.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Which Era? 23, 24 or 25'th Century?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited December 2012
    Can u wear heavy armor as a cleric in 4E and if not right away is the option available when u level?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    4e
    feats available

Armor Proficiency (Plate)
    Prerequisites: Str 15, Con 15, training with scale armor
    Benefit: You gain training with plate armor.

o wait.. plate would be like full armor.
    hmm not sure if heavy needs another feat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    4e
    feats available

Armor Proficiency (Plate)
    Prerequisites: Str 15, Con 15, training with scale armor
    Benefit: You gain training with plate armor.

o wait.. plate would be like full armor.
    hmm not sure if heavy needs another feat

Clerics doesn't have scale armor proficiency by default, only after rules compendium (which, i hope, will be implemented). So you would need to buy 2 feats for Plate, which actually doesn't add a lot and requires Con and Str, which isn't the best for Wisdom builds.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    yeah you get chainmail which is free of any pre-requisite (i.e. you can wear chain at 0 str and 0 cont) You need feats to wear better armor. I think Battle cleric will probably get it automatically in the game.

This is probably due to extensive design in divine classes.
    Heavy armor(aka fighter) - Paladin
    Light armor (aka Warlock) - invoker
    No armor (aka divine assassin) - avenger
    Medium armor (aka mix of all above) - cleric
    Dwarven armor (aka short height) - Runepriest (lol jk)

Some notable divines:-
    Knights of Nii(MP&tHG) - Invoker
    Van Helsing (Movie) - Avenger
    Green Lantern - Runepriest
    Doctor Danger - Cleric
    I think you can recognize more if you look carefully.

The divines have been completely revised so the changes.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You're forgetting Gandalf, gillrmn

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    You're forgetting Gandalf, gillrmn
    He is a shapeshifter not a divine, He shapeshifted from grey to white (or perhaps he molted? eek! Yuan-ti!!!)
    If he ever does anything evil, Selune has ordered me to smite him down - being an anti-evil-shapshifter deity.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Anyway he's a wizard, an I don't mean Merlin who was a Druid but calld a wizard, but called a Wizard in the series
    (even if we was a god of sorts.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, there is a small contradiction in that too. Strangely wizard is a race in Tolkien-verse, and originally only four of them existed.
    So as he was shapeshifter as shown afterwards - and shapeshifting is a race too, perhaps he was not a wizard but half-wizard,half-shapeshifter with a different class...

(jk)
  • Options
    battlehealerbattlehealer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Who were the four "Wizards"? Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron, and Galadriel? I know their position was Guardians of Middle-Earth...

Back to the topic though. If you decided to spend feats on Plate or what not I wonder how it would affect your mobility in game? Or maybe it will just affect your offensive healing abilities because you will have to allocate more attribute points to STR and CON and more feats for Armor?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Who were the four "Wizards"? Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron, and Galadriel? I know their position was Guardians of Middle-Earth

Four:- White, grey, brown and blue.
    Irrespective of number of wizards, only four positions are regarded as wizard. So if me and grumpy paws were to kill Gandalf who was grey first and white later, and then we steal and absorb his essence like asmodeus did to Azuth, we both will be white wizards. So we will be one wizard - me and grumpy.

Galadriel? NO! She is just an elf! Wizard is a race remember, being elf considers her possibility out by definition.

Wizards are: -
    Gandalf [Shapeshifted from grey to white]
    Saruman - killed
    Radagast (did I spell it right?) - Brown, most powerful wizard whom none can catch but too forgetful. They said one way was to give ring to Radagast and Sauron will never be able to catch him! But the fellowship decided that he will forget where he kept the ring so NO!
    Blue wizards were not in any of the finished work of Tolkien. There were supposed to be two I think.

So in the end, we have four physical wizards left alive, but only 3 positions filled - grey having shape shifted.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Dwarven armor (aka short height) - Runepriest (lol jk)

green power ring - Runepriest

i don't know why allways a friend of mine goes for runepriest, human (black&bald) unarmed and wearing only one ring....hmmm never understand why he allways do that...
  • Options
    therumancer23therumancer23 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Okay a few bits of info and high nerdism:

#1: Clerics as a concept were originally conceived as being Holy Knights, and intended to fill that role. The "Paladin" as we know him didn't come to be until much later on down the line in the evolution of the game. The basic idea was that the Cleric was getting a few special abillities he could use during a dungeon crawl in exchange for less of a chance to hit, and being made to use a less powerful weapon, the whole "weapons that won't shed blood" ie "blunt" weapons was largely because such weapons generally did 1d6 damage as opposed to the 1d8 of a sword. Clerics in the verrrry beginning were an "optional" thing and a "new and exciting class" as opposed to being quite as much a part of the core as many people like to think.

Later when Paladins were introduced, and the spellcasting system became increasingly robust, the design of the Cleric fell into question. As more and more offensive spells started to appear, it basically became the original "Munchkin" character as it had good saves, unlimited armor use, and the second best attack table in the game.

With 2E things like specialty priests were intended to get away from this and while they inevitably became even more Munchkin the idea was to try and force an "every priest is a specialty priest" mentality (and I believe there were contridictory statements between supplements as to whether general "clerics" existed in FR in between various supplements, but that's a whole differant discussion that has no bearing on anything). The idea here was that specific priests following a warrior ethos would wind up giving up things like turning undead, have comparitively limited spell sphere access, but decent combat tables, other priests would be more mage-like intended to wear priestly robes (giving up armor use) and have increased access to magical spheres, and perhaps even deity-specific spells. In the long run though this turned into a munchkin-maker as "logic" lead to certain types of priests that were basically one man parties that could do pretty much anything well excpept maybe thieving abillities (and you can always force doors, and cast "find traps" as some people have grumpily pointed out).

3E pretty much decided to give up the entire practice of even trying to balance this, and pretty much decided to give the Paladin a better range of powers and spells.

4E where we are now is something I prefer not to talk about at all. To be honest despite the game balance issues 2E was my major "edition" when I played seriously, and the one I still prefer today simply due to the range of options.

To be honest, it strikes me as being one of the hardest characters to balance for this kind of a game because by it's very nature it's never exactly been balanced. The "Cleric" has always been the problem child of AD&D among people who know what they were doing. While the stereotype of noone wanting to play one and be a walking "cure light wounds" endures, that's usually just among beginners at the lowest levels of play.

For this reason it doesn't surprise me that this class might be taking longer than some others to get a full work up for an MMO, if they want it to be D&D-like. By going the whole JRPG-esque "White Mage" route (ie casters with a differant spell set) root in other MMOs it was a bit easier to balance which is probably why the "Warcraft Style" of priests and healers has generally been dominating.

#2: D&D is heavily based around vintage fantasy that was popular in the 70s and 80s. Alignment came from Michael Moorcock, and spellcasting came from a guy called Jack Vance... a writer whose work didn't really endure as long as the guys cribbing from him probably thought it would. Arguements about wizards in fantasy wearing armor and such don't really apply to the system being used since D&D is defining it's own world based on other sources. I can see why D&D has been gradually moving away from the whole "memorization" system and towards "at will" abillities like you see in 4E as that's a more popular way of viewing magic nowadays, and also a bit easier to balance.

Despite the comments of casual PnP gamers and newbies talking about how "uber" mages were in D&D, this class was always kind of the dog of the D&D game stable (even if my favorite to play). Being baggage capable of cheezing one encounter with a sleep spell at the low levels, and evolving into a character with a greater library of spells, but the recurring problem that by the time a mage has certain spells there is a tendency for equally powerful monsters to have very good saving throws (leading to the basic arguement that any spell negated by a save is a waste) or tons of magical resistance. Uber-mages work very well as NPCs and opponents, but as a rule of thumb when it comes to player mages is that by the time you max out and finally get to throw your "Meteor Shower" or "Time Stop" everything you run into will be so loaded with magic resistance to make it kind of pointless.

As time has gone on the plight of mages has slowly gotten better, with new systems for comparitive level to resistance comparisons making high level spell vs. high level target a bit more favorable to the mage. I still think it remains something of an "all or nothing" character though because at the high levels in general everything resists, or goes down, which usually leads to the mage having to "take one for the team" and be baggage or support so everyone else can have an adventure.

To be frank I became fond of various mage-warrior classes (Bladesingers and the ilk) largely because they gave me something to do when inevitably there was always a reason why I couldn't use my magic, or everything was so heavily protected I might as well not bother ( Drow in part became stock high level enemies because of their magic resistance ).

At any rate the classic logic with mages and armor was originally that if mages had armor it would become too difficult for someone to disrupt their spells. That's true at the lowest levels where say a level 1 mage can drop a level 1 fighter (and five of his buddies) with a sleep spell (which casts pretty quick) with the target needing to roll like a 19 or 20 to save. The problem of course is that as time goes on those saving throws get better, say by 15th level your typical target probably only needs to roll a 10 to save, and probably has bonuses on that, then might have magic resistance. So if you've got a 50% base chance of failure, with a secondary 30% chance of failure before you even roll that chance from MR, magic could quite frequently become a wasted action.

Yes, some people might want to argue about this, but it's all long term observations. In NWN / 4E though they have turned magic largely into just another weapon, and despite the flashy FX it's pretty much used as one, and as often as the mage needs, much like a fighter with his sword or an archer with their bow. That does address a lot of the problems. In this case you might wonder why mages still don't wear armor, and I'd guess it's a stylistic thing as much as anything, after all if you can use your defensive spells that much more often, why bother? I mean if you can conjure a force field around yourself and keep it there more or less constantly, why walk around lugging heavy armor? Thinking that way, why would mages practice with it, not to mention that there are only so many hours in the day and running through tires (or wagon wheels or whatever) in plate mail to get good at wearing it takes time away from practicing the "zap enemy in the face" spell or how to maintain a good force field. Training time (and keeping in practice) does become an issue.

That said for stylistic reasons I do hope they find a way to bring the good old fashioned Warrior-Mage into the game. I love my dedicated casters (and made them work devestatingly well despite everything I've said about the problems you need to deal with), but I've had hundreds of hours of enjoyment playing Bladesingers and the ilk.

At any rate this turned into a rant about mages (in this very long post) since someone mentioned the old "Merlin wore a breastplate" thing, and went from there. The bottom line in the initial point is that Clerics wearing armor has been a touchy subject for a while, and is kind of something that is worked around on a 'grandfather clause'. In the terms of Neverwinter I'd imagine they should probably work around creating types of clerics that do, and types that don't. If your a Paladin of Tempus or Tyr being heavily armored is fine, but if your a priest of Lathander, despite years of working around it and drawing them that way, you probably should be wearing vestments and not armor and be largely protected by magic as a matter of concept.