What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Silver Dragon, Ornisk

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Art and Fiction
BIOGRAPHY:-
(Story will follow)

Eons ago, it is said that an honorable and good silver dragon inhabited the silver mountains. Every night, it used to see the silver moon - some even say he was bewitched by her. Eventually one day, the silver dragon lost his mind and started flying towards the Moon.

As he reached closer to the moon, its strength kept waning and sheets of ice formed on its skins. But the dragon did not give up.

Years later, it is said that in the Astral sea, tales were told of the Moonmaiden and her guard - the silver dragon. The tales however reached the ears of a jealous sister who attacked the Moon with Shadow dragons. One silver dragon was much stronger than any of the Shade dragons, however shade dragons fight subverted war. But any of their subversions were no match for the silver dragon - named Ornisk by the moonmaiden herself. Ornisk was victorious - or so it is recorded.

It was rumored that even after the Ornisk won singlehandedly, his mind went insane - a trick of shadow dragons. To calm him many shards had to sacrifice their lives in a hard fought battle. In that battle, Ornisk was slain. Or so it was believed.

In forgotten realms, the lands of Icewind Dale - rumors have surfaced of a child born with silver eyes which shine like stars. When he was born, he had markings of the Moonmaiden in his silver eyes. And a name was inscribed as a birthmark on his heart - exactly the place where Ornisk was slain. His family was able to find a scholar of language to decipher those words and named him after those words - Ornisk.

Ornisk, naturally proficient in draconic has made his way to Neverwinter. He has a habit of sitting alone in open spaces and watching the Moon wistfully. It is said that his eyes are able to capture the light of moon itself every full moon.

What is the reason behind his birthmark inscribed on the skin near his heart? Why are his eyes different from others? Why does Ornisk feel pangs of separation after watching the Moon everytime?

The adventure begins ...
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2012
    "Ah! The Silver mountains - the peaks covered with glaciers shining like silver in the silver light of moon.

It is said that the winds that blow among the peak are enough to carry the men across. The barbarians of Silver mountains jump from one peak to other waiting for wind to pick up from the passes - using their shield as wing. It is said that flutter of the wings of a family of silver dragon causes these winds to blow. For thousands of years, as long as the tribe can remember, the winds have protected them and sheltered them. An invading monster or army would stop in their tracks as the tracks of barbarians disappear suddenly - or if they see them leaping a mile of distance. But only those with courage and right sense can ride the wind.

The mountain is also called "the holy spear" by a village near the foot of mountain". No undead or dark creature dares to step near it. There is a myth that the mountain will wake and gobble up any dark creature which dares to disturb it sanctity." the old man was musing.

"ACHOO! Is... is that all you can tell me bout it? And I gave you a silver coin too! Are you trying to ... Ahh ... ACHOO! ... trying to scam me?" a young bearded wizard in silk robes was trying to bear the cold. However, there must be a reason he is not wearing any skin? Is there a greater purpose in him wearing a robe?

"Well, that is the legend, there is no more - unless you want me to make it up for you? Well, tell you what, I will throw an owlbear skin for you to keep warm." the old man bargained.

"Thank you! I teleported m work clothes back to the castle by mistake, along with scrolls. I think I am stuck here until I remake my scroll. Is wearing skin how you ordinary folks keep yourself warm?" well, not every robe has a greater purpose.

"Ofcourse, how can you keep yourself warm in women's night dress? You must man up - and wear clothes instead of dress." the old man said wisely.

"THIS IS NOT A DRESS! It is a robe, and silk one which allows proper conduction of magic from the weave to my skin! Bah! You ignorant townsfolk won't understand." The young wizard took the owlbear skin and wore it.

"Are you sure you want to look for dragons of holy spear? No one who crosses these lands has ever returned." the old man mused.

"If they haven't returned, then who started the 'legends'?" the young wizard asked logically. "Please ask the tavern keeper to prepare for my journey next week. I will need week of preparation."
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Tim, the young bearded magician cursed his fate. He had been hounded by barbarians and his goods stolen. He wasn't able to use his spells as the barbarians disappeared out of his range riding the winds. Tim didn't have the courage to take the leap trusting the winds, especially after he saw one of them fall to the abyss in the mountain pass below.

Now he was all alone, inside a cave. He was collecting the wood to keep himself warm. The cave was a bit warm than the biting frost outside. He collected the wood and opened up a scroll. Then he read aloud the words in some language and the scroll then caught fire. He then used the scroll to start the fire on wood. The fire was magical. Usually fire only burns the twigs and not thicker wood but as soon as wood came into contact with it, it started burning. All while the hands of Tim were safe even when literately holding the fire in his hands.

"Curses!" Tim said the only profane word he knew of. The last time he used profanity was when his apprentice lost control of fireball burning the books in top floor of the royal tower. "What is it with magic and towers?" Tim thought. Perhaps it showed what magicians always inspired - to transcend their normal lives and reach the heavens by the us of magic.

Suddenly wind put out the fire and blew the snow on Tim's face. He realized it was not just wind. He quickly grabbed a stone lest he is blown off too. And there it was, in all its silver glory. The silver dragon!

Earlier that day:

"...vur io xurwka kovgam darastrix wer annyo, persvek jacida ilieh slemon di navnik vur mamiss..." The elder dragon was teaching his two sons. The younger son was listening intently, while the elder son was lost in his own thoughts. The elder dragon paused in order to get the attention of elder son. As dragons live for eternity, their patience for their own kind is also much greater than for fleeting lives below the mountain.

"...kluchuduun darastrixi geou yenta thric." It seems elder son was listening, even though he pretended not to.

"jennu xut. di malsvir darastrixi. threndiaw svadrav astahii tepoha thric tiichi." The elder dragon roared as if challenging the elder son.

"vis" the elder son hissed fire with last sentence. But the words he said somehow calmed the elder dragon.

"visp ve svabol wux tiichi throdenilti" the elder dragon softened his stance towards the elder son. The elder son looked at younger son.

"jaci geou waph shafaer wer verthicha. si geou jaseve frevor xinor" The elder son spoke somewhat softly.

"isthasy..." younger dragon spoke. But Elder dragon hushed him.

"lae tilabil vucotic si tepoha majaktor sia lex." And then the elder son flew down the mountain.

Younger son protested to elder, "pok jacion. jaci intend ekess ravel ekess wer welun. usv si geou. si nishka ti oprinqu jacion"

"wer lex jahus majaktor. jacida sepa geou loreat sjek wux pok jacion. charis ihk jacida thran. riluoh sart wer krehl nomag qe." Elder dragon calmed down the younger son.

The younger son stopped but let out a huge roar to release his frustrations.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    fantastic! si vorq forward ekess throdenilt!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ditto ekess svabol jaci said!
    dragon-chase-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Tim's legs gave away as soon as he faced the majestic dragon. He had never actually seen a dragon before. The dragon however, did not notice Tim's presence. The blood was fading from Tim's face and hands - not because of cold but because of fear.

The dragon walked inside from the mouth of the cave and then snuggled to a corner and closed its eyes. Tim was petrified and unable to move from his location until the dragon settled. He closed his eyes with relief, for he hadn't even blinked before. He then tried to sneak out of the cave slowly and silently. He sneaked until he reached the mouth of the cave not making a noise.

Tim stopped however. He remembered that he was given a royal mission from the king to search for the silver dragon and to ask for protection. Tim was no fool. He knew dragon were unpredictable creatures. His master used to say, "Death by a dragon is not a murder or killing. It is like an accident - just as people die in volcanic eruption or earthquake. You should just wish you never meet one, just as you wish that a volcano never erupts.". But the circumstances were dire and going back to the kingdom empty handed without any hope was worse than death. So Tim stopped.

He looked back at the dragon and decided to walk back to it. He didn't even realize that his legs were trembling. He stopped in front of the dragon. He now needed to get its attention. "Time to commit suicide..." Tim thought. But he could not bring himself to act. Something vague gripped his heart and made the back of his throat feel dry. He had a strange feeling in his stomach. Even in the freezing cold, his palms were sweaty - and because of sweat they were getting colder.

"wux jaseve usv wux zexenuma?" the dragon's voice was heard as it opened one eye - just enough to see the little man.

Tim fumbled. He wanted the dragon's attention and had it now. Forgetting the fear, he went through his scrolls to find proper translation. His hands were trembling, which amused him. Even if he had cleared his mind of any fear, his body felt it.

"I will stay ... I mean ... si ... uh ... geou ... umm... ukris" Tim desperately tried to find the right words.

"Then talk. And talk in common and not defile our language with incorrect pronunciation." It seems the dragon could speak common too. Tim sighed in relief as that made the conversation much easier.

"I am mage of the inner circle from kingdom of Aflona, I am here by the royal decree..."

"hmm... Aflona? Ah! Its the kingdom where one of us promised to protect from dark creatures. I remember!" the elder brother dragon remembered his younger brother telling him of the promise he made to a worthy king. So protectorate of his brother had come seeking help. What trouble could it be that would make them so desperate so as to reach here?

"Are you that great silver dragon?" Tim asked, but he got no response from the silver dragon, "we are attacked by an evil red dragon. We need your aid. The battle tacticians were able to beat the dragon but suffered tremendous losses with our army decimated. The dragon retired but it is said that it would recover its strength in a month. Great silver dragon you must help us and protect our innocent families!" Tim was practically in tears by the end. He was remembering his elven wife and their daughter. He had rescued her from captivity years ago from an evil mage while they were on an expedition. Even though she had lived thrice his age then, she had never known true freedom or hapiness. It was unfair that she had to die so soon when she found happiness and family. And her daughter ... his vision blurred as tears came to his eyes.

"Alright. I will defeat this red. But we must rest for the night and start the journey tomorrow. I will sleep, while you find some soft furs to pad your stomach as I will be holding you in my talons."

"Can't I just ride..." Tim stopped short as the dragon stared at him. He then left in search for a bear or another such animal to get some skin off it.
  • Options
    mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Awsome Dude:o
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    When young dragon reached the kingdom, with Tim in his claws, he could understand the desperation of the mage. The red dragon was not guarding a lair or terrorizing the folks in countryside but actually attacking the kingdom. There were flames and smoke coming from the castle and the young dragon dedicated to land.

Tim was in the claws of the silver dragon. He could see flames and he wondered if he was too late? But he had faith in knights of the kingdom that they will save the king. Suddenly he felt pangs in his heart - his family! Were they alright? He decided he could not let red dragon terrorize them anymore. But suddenly his view started changing. He looked at ground as it was coming closer and closer. Was he going to be crushed between dragon claws and the ground? He closed his eyes. Suddenly he felt being thrown to ground gently. His bear-skins saved him from the impact. It was only a gentle thud. He crawled his way out of the skins to come face to face with ... ... ... ... a little girl? What was she doing here?

"What are you doing here? Quickly go to your parents inside the home..." Tim panicked after seeing the little girl.

"Silence! It is I, you puny human!" the little gir... ahem... the young dragon roared. The human transformation was a source of great pride and shame to the young dragon. Only the strongest of dragons in their prime are able to transform into human form. To contain all that power into a small container is not an easy feat - even when many silver dragons are usually able to do it compared to other dragons. However, his transformation was a hurried one without any roper guidance. When the young dragon was younger even, he had seen a little girl in mountains and thought it to be a 'human' not realizing size and differences of sexes. A dragon who has once adapted a huan form is not able to change it ever again. Thus he was stuck in this form of a little girl, even when he himself was a young dragon about to hit his prime of power.

The reason young dragon was reluctant to send his brother was because his brother was very trusting of humans. He was not able to use human form to see true nature of humans.

In the form of little girl, the silver dragon had interacted with barbarians in the mountains and seen the true nature of humans - filled with unpredictability and dishonor. Hence the brother decided to fulfill the promise instead. The silver dragon had come to one realization long long ago - all humans cannot be trusted. In their dragon form the brothers looked similar so he had decided to come and honor the pact instead. A pact must be followed for honor is everything for a silver dragon.

Tim realized that the little girl with silver hairs and silver irisis was none other than the dragon who had shapechanged to human form. He could still feel the pressure. However, he was now unsure. Was the dragon a male or female? How should he address her/him. If he addressed the dragon as a lady, would he be offended? Would he be killed for his mistake? Tim gulped, but to him it felt as his guts swallowed his tongue. The little girl looked at him and as if judging his hesitation said, "I am Ornisk, the silver dragon. My friends call me ... Ornisk. My enemies call me ... ... Ornisk. All others should call me ... ... Ornisk." Ornisk said thinking he needs some better names for enemies and friends. But he never had to introduce himself to enemies - for the never lasted longer than a moment. Nor he had many friends, for its lonely at the top ... ... of the mountain. Perhaps some name like Honorable Ornisk for friends and Invincible Ornisk for enemies ... but that is just adding titles. Anyways, Ornisk thought to concentrate on the business at hand for time being.

"Lead me to the city gates, ... ... and your name?" Ornisk thought he should ask for a nae. It was exciting. He had never asked anyone of their name before.

"I ... I ... am honored that you would ask a name... I ... I am mage... inner circle of Aflona... a mage there... Tim they say. It is very nice to know a dragon would ask ... I never ..." Tim fumbled with right words.

"Too many words when I expected one. Once again, they call you... what?" Ornisk cut short the nervous mage.

"Tim. They call me Tim." The mage realized he was supposed to give his name not an introduction. "Please that way, the gates are that way. It is but a few hours of walk to there."

The little gir... Ornisk grabbed his hand with unnatural force. Tim felt a little pain, perhaps Ornisk had not completely realized the correct amount of strength to apply in this form. Tim was thankful that his hand was not crushed.

"Walk? *tee hee hee*. Just blink." Tim was shocked that the roaring laugh of dragon would become a giggle. But his hand in that impossible iron grip of a girl made his heart shrank in terror. He immediately obeyed out of the fear of this absurdity of situation. To his surprize, as soon as he blinked, he was standing outside the castle gates.

'Magic?' thought Tim. But he had already given up on trying to understand the majestic dragons. They were too unpredictable with them taking forms of children and all. Maybe it has been too much for him. Maybe he needs some sleep...

And thinking so, suddenly Tim went under.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    When Tim came back to his senses, he was watching the morning sky. The night had been bad for him, his head had turned to a block of stone ... the headache. He opened his eyes to a bright sky, too blue for his eyes. Yet there was some smell - of ashes. His senses had started to come back to him. First the sense of sight, then the sense of smell and now the sense of...

Tim was startled and he quickly sat up. There were voices of fighting, commands given to knights. Has the red dragon attacked again? Is silver dragon fighting it with the knights? He realized he was in a wagon filled with hay for bedding. The reason his head was aching was probably because he spent his whole night out in the open in the wagon - though hay kept him a bit warm.

He was amazed when he saw what was happening on the street where his wagon was parked. Scores of guards were collected in a heap. Tim hoped they were not dead - but perhaps they were victims of red dragon attack last night? Then he saw the little gir... Ornisk standing right between a score of "Elite Knights" of Aflona.

"I will ask once and only once more. Where is the inner circle?" Ornisk demanded to know. Tim immediately realized that all of it was his fault. Because he fainted the guards and knights might have misunderstood her intent to visit the tower without documents and directions. Ornisk might have put him in a wagon and roamed around asking for directions.

"Hold your positions. On my mark. The opponent is a fierce creature and not a human!" the knights were shouting.

"Please wait! I am a mage of the inner circle. Please let me handle it!" Tim cried out. The captain of knights turned to him. He quickly took out a sealed envelope with trembling hands and held it out for all to see, "By order of the king. This is the noble Silver dragon who has traveled here to fight evil Red Dragon."

The knights were perplexed. They did not move. Ornisk was also looking at Tim and his courage to interrupt a fight. He smiled and asked the knights, "Well?"

The commander signaled the knights to lower weapons, and everybody knelt down. "We shall lead you to the king." the commander then said.

"I must see the inner circle first. You could not have held the Red Dragon by your skills. I want to see the mages who were able to hold its attack." Ornisk told the commander. "So where is the mage tower?"

Ornisk was walking, being escorted by knights in grey armor. He had decided to meet the king, because apparently the ones who drove the Red Dragon away were not mages but Dragonslayers. Ornisk wanted to meet these dragonslayers and fight them, but he was told that they were tracking the red dragon back to its lair and were thus, unavailable. Ornisk thought how romantic would it be to be hunted by worthy enemies and win a glorious victory...

But for now Red Dragon preoccupied his mind. They are worthy enemies for Silver dragons and for Red dragons, Silver Dragons are a threat. So the fights between a Red and a Silver dragon always go down in history and myths.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    A series of redirects made me come here again. Ah the pleasure of reading a good story for the 4'th time. It gets even better when you know what is going to happen
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    A series of redirects made me come here again. Ah the pleasure of reading a good story for the 4'th time. It gets even better when you know what is going to happen

Thanks, it is one of my favorite too. However he is a recent creation so I am struggling to make a place for in him my campaign. Earlier I was going to use him as an opposite to antagonist Raeuz - a follower of Raven Queen who broke the Planescape and was tormented by Lady of Pain *oops gave a spoiler here* however, I had need of Raeuz so decided to make him comeback as a good person (breaking the planescape twice, he has become twice insane and hence sane[two negatives rarely becoming a positive])

Ornisk is currently in Icewind Dale from where he commences to Neverwinter.

~~~~

EDIT: Breaking planescape is much different than spelljammer travel. It is like a change of setting from Greyhawk to Forgotten Realms. That is why Lady of Pain punished him - but left him alive for unknown reason - DUN DUN DUN!