test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Healing

tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Temple
I really enjoy healing in MMOs. But how will cleric healing work?

In 4th edition there were at-will powers which would grant allies temporary hit points upon a successful attack. This might work.

Also, while the cleric's healing power was an encounter power, and we know that encounter powers will just work on a cooldown system, the 4e cleric's encounter heal was usable twice per encounter. Do you think that means that it will be on a faster cooldown? Or maybe that you can use it twice before waiting for the cooldown?

Do you think they'll have a different system altogether for it? Are you frustrated enough that we don't know any of this for sure yet?
Post edited by tinyish on

Comments

• adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I wish I knew as well. I have been a full time healer for years in MMO's. I am all for change, but until I see the implementation of healing, I'll be nervous.

I think it was the Smuggler Class in Star Wars, The Old Republic that would target and "shoot" healing darts at their party members. Maybe healing will work something like that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If you played RaiderZ, you can get an idea of how healing can work in absence of tab targeted system. I think NW cleric will be a lot closer to RaiderZ cleric.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    If you played RaiderZ, you can get an idea of how healing can work in absence of tab targeted system. I think NW cleric will be a lot closer to RaiderZ cleric.

Thats not a good news for me :( Didnt like much how Raiderz handled with healing.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Thats not a good news for me :( Didnt like much how Raiderz handled with healing.

From my FAQ:

How does healing work currently? Will my group die if there is no "healing" character?

Updated 10/12/2012: Healing is done both by spells/powers from characters who have the "Leader" Role as well as drinking health potions and standing at campfires (the last item is confirmed at 1:49 of this video.) Healing surges did not port from the 4e tabletop edition, but the concept of standing by a "campfire" and "healing up" will also be used as mentioned in 1:43 of this video (as well as where you can "swap out" certain powers.)

Regeneration in cities or item combat regeneration is unknown at this point. [but the latter is strongly suspected]

Based on other combat examples for targeting [from the demos and now RaiderZ,] it's suggested we will use the reticle to target others/aim a burst radius circle for other people's/group's healing and not aim or toggle something out for individual self healing. But this is speculative and has not been confirmed.

And no, you can do well solo and in groups up to five if there is "no healing character played." But it's a lot easier to heal more often if you do!

Yeah, while cleric is still held in their internal testing, we don't have any public information. But based on the demos we've seen, it's likely we will be using both an aimed healing option and a burst radius linked to powers. How it will be handled is uncertain and I bet the class announcement (cleric) is held off while this is being tested and retested...and retested.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    From my FAQ:

Yeah, while cleric is still held in their internal testing, we don't have any public information. But based on the demos we've seen, it's likely we will be using both an aimed healing option and a burst radius linked to powers. How it will be handled is uncertain and I bet the class announcement (cleric) is held off while this is being tested and retested...and retested.

Yeah i know, i remember to see zeke speaking about how they are handle with healing in pokket interview. As far as i remember they were testing how they should aim other players and trying to figure out a way of kinda lock targets for healing.

I always played MMO's as a healer and i rly understand cryptic will have a rly hard task to make healing working good mostly in a action combat base game.

I was just metion to grim that i rly didnt enjoy how healing was handle in raiderz, well we just need to wait and see :)
  • jiger007jiger007 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah i know, i remember to see zeke speaking about how they are handle with healing in pokket interview. As far as i remember they were testing how they should aim other players and trying to figure out a way of kinda lock targets for healing.

I always played MMO's as a healer and i rly understand cryptic will have a rly hard task to make healing working good mostly in a action combat base game.

I was just metion to grim that i rly didnt enjoy how healing was handle in raiderz, well we just need to wait and see :)

How do you feel about the way healing is handled in TF2? I mean action MMO is more or less an FPS/RPG hybrid; i think we'll see alot of FPS ideas ported over...good or bad.

Personally id prefer much slower paced combat with huge tactial skills, but i think the current market is more saturated with Xbox type players where the action is furios, but the social interaction is lacking precisely because you have no time to do much of anything other than action.
    edited November 2012
    Im not actually familiar with TF2. Im also not much familiar with action games MMO's, just played DDO where healing is the same of "typical" MMO's and ive played raiderz. Like i sayed in my earlier post i didnt like much how Raiderz dealed with healing.

I would like to see neverwinter healing similar to D&D 4e, Cleric casts some offensive powers that as a sencondary effect heals one or more targets, could be area effect selected by u, could be all party member x distance from u, could be a single target u aim after using the offensive effect, etc...

Anyways, i think by this time cryptic already have well planned how healing will work, they are probably in heavy testing as we speak :) Hopefully close beta will allow players to give their feedback how healing should work or what changes can be done, personlly i cant wait to put my hand on a cleric on beta and i will probably creat a cleric again when the game is launched :)
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I really, really like the way healing works in RaiderZ, except that there isn't a large variety of healing options. The no-tab or F key targeting system really makes healing more fun and spellcasting feel more natural.
    edited November 2012
    ... ive played raiderz. Like i sayed in my earlier post i didnt like much how Raiderz dealed with healing.

I would like to see neverwinter healing similar to D&D 4e, Cleric casts some offensive powers that as a sencondary effect heals one or more targets, could be area effect selected by u, could be all party member x distance from u, could be a single target u aim after using the offensive effect, etc...
    Actually that is a contradiction. Second phara explains exactly how healing works in RaideZ. ;)

More specifically, low level powers of clerics in RaiderZ:-

Cleric casts some offensive powers that as a sencondary effect heals one or more targets - Heals 3
    could be area effect selected by u - Area on ground
    could be all party member x distance from u - Also implemented
    could be a single target u aim after using the offensive effect - Also implemented

Just read this today after rancore brought it to updates and it made me smile to observe this contradiction
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I really enjoy not having target locking for my heals in the RaiderZ aim system. If I miss a heal, it makes me want to get better at aiming them, instead of making me feel cheated by the game.
    I'd hate to see a step backwards in NWO to a stand in place, tab or F target lock system.
    The action system makes the gameplay much more involved.
    I'm hoping they implement player's Healing Bursts as a way to get more umph out of your cleric's heal spells when you need it. As in, I cast a Heal on you, and if you activate your Healing Burst at the same time, you get secondary affects.
    edited November 2012
    When i made my post i knew exactly that neverwinter dont have tab target or F key target system. That said, healing will be probably work like Raiderz but just the way u target ur party members.

Raiderz cleric just have 2 healing spells, one is a area effect selected by u and the other one is a HoT (Healing over time) x distance arround u and thats all. Also none of those spells are offensive, they just heal. I dont want that for Neverwinter.

I understand this is an action MMO's which means that healers just CANT spam heals like "typical" MMO's do but restrict healing to 2 spells is not an option for me.

BUT i only played raiderz on close beta and i only reach lvl 23 (if im not mistake) so i might be wrong and at higher lvl things are a bit diferent but from what ive seen i hated the healing lol
    edited November 2012

Raiderz cleric just have 2 healing spells, one is a area effect selected by u and the other one is a HoT (Healing over time) x distance arround u and thats all. Also none of those spells are offensive, they just heal. ...

That is not correct. I also only played the CB and reached lvl 30, but before lvl 20 many spells were available. You may have chosen to put points in those two spells only but the other ones were also available. For example true strike was a melee ability in which you hit the opponent hard with hammer and the hit generated the heal which will heal 3 party memebers - you and two others depending on who is most injured and standing near you. There were more abilities but overpowered abilities had large cooldowns.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, we actually know the "number" of abilities you will have access to :D There are some videos that shows the UI bar.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Unless they retooled them of course. Then the powers are no longer applicable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Playing a Cleric begs the question of "which deity?", too. I still haven't seen an answer as to how much customization will be allowed at creation with whom you're affiliated with, or will they be set builds? We've heard about offensive and support Cleric class builds already (or at least assumed those roles).
    edited November 2012
    U right, raiderz dont have 2 cleric healing spells.... it have 3, i forgot to mention healing strike. Even so that wont change my opinion, 3 healing spells are very low imo.

Raiderz cleric powers. (on beta stage)

Like i said, i only played one action MMO which was raiderz and it was on CBT, dont get me wrong, im not saying raiderz healing is bad or good for an action MMO game system (which i dont have expirience at all) but i just didnt like it. U could say to me that adding more healing powers could break the system and turn the game easier but thats a all diferent story.

I know in neverwinter u will only be able to pick 3 encounter at the same time so some people may say that we dont need more than 3 healing spell for a cleric, but i want to have diversity in here, i want to get 2-3 AOE healing spells for a specific adventure or i want to have HoT spells for a especific boss or even only focus on one target heal to a very hard delve boss. If i want to chosse to use more DPS spells with a small heal rate i would like to have that options aswell.

We could be arguing all day about it, what are the pros and cons of raiderz healing system.... as for me i just didnt like it.
    edited November 2012
    Clerics in RaiderZ really got the shaft because they have absolutely no spells to counter any of the affects, like stun, knockdown, poison - no spells for any of that.
    But clerics in RaiderZ are not a full blown "healbot" class - obviously, with such a short array of healing options and no options for status affects, it means that they are truly "battle-clerics." That's not such a bad thing. The options for making them either a caster type or melee type battle cleric are pretty big.
    That being said, more UI bars doesn't equal flexibility in playstyle. Usually it just means having an absurdly cluttered UI. I honestly think you can have just as much character diversity and customization in playstyle without a guady UI.
    So hopefully NWO figures out a way to give clerics options to heal with, and a good balance of support and offensive abilities. I like the WAY that healers work in RaiderZ, but I'd like more ways to do it.
    edited November 2012
    How does the targeting system works in Raiderz?

St. Augustinus
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    How does the targeting system works in Raiderz?

There is no tab target etc,. You use reticule to aim. AoE are placed on ground as a circle and you have a limited range. Then you have some powers which are automatically taking your character as center as casting.
    Next you have that hack and slash thingy which hits anyone as in hack and slash (normal hit) and hitting some enemy causes activation of power.
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There is no tab target etc,. You use reticule to aim. AoE are placed on ground as a circle and you have a limited range. Then you have some powers which are automatically taking your character as center as casting.
    Next you have that hack and slash thingy which hits anyone as in hack and slash (normal hit) and hitting some enemy causes activation of power.

Ok, that's probably how healing will work in NW too... frankly it's much better than the classical healing spam, as long as you have some nice abilities.

St. Augustinus
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    I'd imagine it just be the same as we have seen with the Control Wizard, just replace their spells with Healing Spells. Listed in the 4e Player Handbook Deluxe Edition, some new powers allow to heal your targets without touching them, such as Healing Word:

Healing Word - Feature
    You whisper a brief prayer as divine light washes over your target, helping to mend its wounds.

Then there is still the nostalgic Cure Wounds:

Cure Light Wounds - Level 2 Utility
    You utter a simple prayer and gain the power to instantly heal wounds, and your touch momentarily suffuses you or a wounded creature with a dim silver light.

There's also an attack healing power:

Healing Strikes - Level 1 Attack
    Divine radiance gleams from your weapon. When you smite your enemy, your deity bestows a minor blessing in the form of healing for you or one of your allies.

We're really just going to have to wait to see what we're shown in any upcoming releases on whatever type of Cleric Class they will be having at launch. In the 4e PHBD, there is listed the "Battle Cleric" and "Devoted Cleric." Things won't be able to be spot on and we'll probably see tweaks to how some abilities work in an MMO environment. Even in DDO, you don't need to touch your target to cast the Cure Wounds spells.
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    Ok, that's probably how healing will work in NW too... frankly it's much better than the classical healing spam, as long as you have some nice abilities.

Yeah I was surprised too after playing it - its cleric was very close to D&D cleric. You can wear chainmail and use mace(hammer) with shield or use two handed mace(or hammer) and cast your spells. Also one thing to note is that lvl 30 in RaiderZ would be like lvl 5-7 in D&D game. So those powers were just the start.

However, there are issues when using cleric there - for example, you have to press a button twice to cast a location AoE. e.g. You press Q and your mouse control shifts to a circle which is to be moved and clicked while you are completely stationary. I hope my mobility as the cleric is not lost in D&D while aiming the AoE of my spells.

If being mobile is not possible, I would at least like an option to cancel my spell, or to have an option to cast it on myself as center every single time. That being stationary breaks the immersion of active combat.
    edited November 2012
    Well, maybe there will be mouseover options (macros or addons) and smart aoe targeting like in GW2.

About armor: clerics are able to use shields and scale armor after Dragon 400, giving up Healer's Lore. I sincerely hope the game will follow a similar pattern: a more "classical healer-ish" build, with lower armor but with more healing power and ranged radiant powers, and a semi-tank that is able to lead and buff easily by hitting enemies in melee.

St. Augustinus
  • jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If I recall, in D&D 4th the cleric have some abilities that allow another player to use their own healing charge thing (sorry, the name escapes me at the moment), and that heals them a certain amount of points. I don't know how they can translate this to an action oriented game. Maybe if a Cleric does a power that allows them to use one, something would flash on the players screen for say like 5 seconds, allowing them to use one? I don't know.
    edited November 2012
    If I recall, in D&D 4th the cleric have some abilities that allow another player to use their own healing charge thing (sorry, the name escapes me at the moment), and that heals them a certain amount of points. I don't know how they can translate this to an action oriented game. Maybe if a Cleric does a power that allows them to use one, something would flash on the players screen for say like 5 seconds, allowing them to use one? I don't know.

Healing surges were not implemented as potion does the similar thing.
    edited November 2012

Probably it will be changed to pure healing with a cooldown.

St. Augustinus
  • felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I remember an interview saying that they were testing different systems such as being able to lock onto party members to heal them and area of effect healing spells, hope that helps.
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.
    edited November 2012
    felix1252 wrote: »
    I remember an interview saying that they were testing different systems such as being able to lock onto party members to heal them and area of effect healing spells, hope that helps.
    I think I remember that interview. What they said was that they were looking at how much assist will be required in target.

Assist is used in some console games where the cursor automatically targets the enemy if the enemy is not too far from the reticule. It doesn't mean that you 'lock' to target, but small things happen. e.g. You teleport behind someone and you still face the enemy automatically(your facing direction changes to your previous target after dodge/roll/teleport etc.

Similarly assist helps in choosing the right trget as long as the enemy is not too far from the reticule.
  • felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mhm something like that an comparing it with other methods such as area of effect. Who knows they might have different spells for both assist and area of affect :P
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.
  • shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited November 2012
    Perhaps limiting clerics to support healing and mainly buffing and rezzing. Its no fun waiting an hour for a healer to log in. Limit the need for them but at the same time make em very helpful and convenient so the party doesn't go broke spending all their gold on healing and cureing potions.