test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R A Salvatore!

2»

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Nah, you're just reading into my words too much or I am just over explaining myself, or both.

It was the very first sentence that I am referring to of "opinion vs fact" in my discussion, that may be being taken out of context and may have lead me to take your statements possibly the wrong way, in which you said, "Terry goodkinds the sword of truth is an example of a book that is complete ***** as a tv series..." and then what topped it off was the follow up statement, which basically categorized me as being too "lazy" to read books.

I wasn't trying to come off as agressive, if that is how you took it. I was trying to explain my counterdicting opinion. So, I am truly sorry that my opposing opinion has caused any offense, if it has.

Not once have I made any personal attacks, yet you go ahead and then attack my reading comprehension as well? I am truly sorry you feel this way, I was just trying to have a civil discussion. I shall bow out, as I have said my opinion about movies/tv and novels.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Nah, you're just reading into my words too much or I am just over explaining myself, or both.

It was the very first sentence that I am referring to in my discussion of how I took your statements the wrong way:, in which you said, "Terry goodkinds the sword of truth is an example of a book that is complete ***** as a tv series..." and then what topped it off was the follow up statement, which basically categorized me as being too "lazy" to read books.

I wasn't trying to come off as agressive, if that is how you took it. I was trying to explain my counterdicting opinion. So, I am truly sorry that my opposing opinion has caused any offense, if it has.

Not once have I made any personal attacks, yet you go ahead and then attack my reading comprehension as well? I am truly sorry you feel this way, I was just trying to have a civil discussion.

Come now Zeb lets show some character and agree it got away from both of us and we were both offended, you personally attacked me by implying I didn't know the meaning of the word "fact" so I in turn attacked your reading comprehension skills by implying they were lacking.

Forums are a great place for misunderstandings as they can be cold and impersonal without any cadence or intonation to the words like in a real conversation.

Now apology accepted, and you have mine as well for offending you in turn.

Now go read the sword of truth series or get the audio book, you have missed oh so much that never made it into the shows and the rest was changed too much.

Also one last thing rasp1_zps956108c8.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    It's all good and I see your smiley and return it with a...
    puppy.gif

Off-Topic2.gif
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I never read The Sword of Truth series and I LOVED the TV Series.

I think the problem with this stereotype on moves and series is people tend to forget that the novels are the inspiration to the movies and tv series. They are not a complete, page by page, reprint in cinematic detail. I always go into every movie and tv series as if they are their own story, even if they are based off a novel I have read. Then again, I have a very active and vivid imagination that allows me to not let anything I have read or seen prior influence how I enjoy the telling of a story in a different way and format.

If people didn't go into these re-tellings of the stories as though they had to be a word-by-word screenplay, I think more people would actually enjoy them better. When Legend of the Seeker was on the air, and still to this day, if you look around at the masses that loved the series, you will come to find that most of them have never read the books. Most of those who do not like the series are almost always people who have read the books - but there are still a good number who did read them and loved the series as well.

Yes, I know a bit about this because not only was I once an advocate to try and get the series continued as well as helped make sure the second season happened, I also hosted and maintained a news site dedicated to series while it was on the air.

I am
    , or was, a heavy reader and was a passionate reader but because of my health and migraines from fine print, I am no longer able to enjoy novels like I used to. Movies and TV Series and audible books are my source of fantasy story-telling now. I am by no means, "lazy."

I also absolutely loved every one of the D&D Movies too. One of my favorite movies based off a book was The Lord of the Rings. I also really loved The Stand.
    Well, out of some of the novels that have become movies/tv series that I have both read and watched, and have loved both are:
    • The Lord of the Rings (animates & cinematic)
    • The Chronicles of Narnia (british & american)
    • The Stand
    • Dragonlance (animated)
    • Mists of Avalon

I know I am forgetting some...

Take my mother also, for example. She is an avid reader of horror novels and has read everything by Stephen King and Dean Coonze (sp). She has seen and absolutely loved every single Stephen King movie and series remake. She is a die hard-fan of Haven as well and read the Colorado Kid.

Yes, you're right, it all comes down to opinion. However, the way many people word "their opinions" is in such a way that it is fact is just a horrible way to word an opinion -- which is what sparked my reply about The Legend of the Seeker. Your post on that started off with nothing about opinion and even says "simple fact" in your wording. An opinion is not fact other than the fact that an opinion is someone's thoughts and feelings on a particular thing.

Example:
    • It is a fact that the world is round. This is not an opinion, this is a fact.
    • It is an opinion that all movies based off of books are horrible, it is not a fact.

So, I guess that is all I really am trying to convey, not everyone shares such opinions of movies. I guess I tend to stand up and speak out when I see anyone or anything getting unnecessary and false accusations.

I understand what you mean but I still protest that I am "lazy" because I prefer to watch movies over reading, because my health issue. gerg.gif
    It's all good and I see your smiley and return it with a...
    puppy.gif

Off-Topic2.gif

DOGGIE!! I mean...

Looking at novel or non-moving work and comparing it to television and movie works can have varying outcomes. I think many of us can agree Peter Jackson did not get every gem in the book but did an overall good job in the LOTR trilogy.

However, while some things that take their own path when serialized (such as "The Walking Dead") can be done well even if taking an independent direction from the source material, other material is just plain second-rate (as many of us felt with "Legend of the Seeker." Heck, it was so missing from the novel, I didn't at first even recognize it as "inspired" as such until later when it was pointed out. I just thought they were ripping off the names at first. Many of us were relieved that show (which we deemed a POS) was canceled. )

That's all I have to say on this topic.

*Goes back to get doggie licks. *
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enygmasoulenygmasoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Meh, I avoided the Legend of the Seeker TV series largely because of my personal disillusionment with the book series it was based on. I felt as the series persisted, the proportion of time and effort it spent on preaching the ideals of Objectivist philosophy began to further and further out-shadow the proportion of time and effort it spent on narrating a compelling fantasy epic. The Sword of Truth got off to a strong start, but every new installment seemed to be increasingly concerned with trying to tell me how to think/feel/believe/perceive the world, and this grew tiresome.

I am sorry to hear the television series was largely viewed as a low-quality adaptation. Is there any chance that it managed to avoid those qualities I just admitted to disliking from the novels? If so, I might be tempted to look into it anyway.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Legend of the Seeker was an average TV series that is best forgotten. I am not saying it was bad, but neither did it feel good when I watched it.

The best movies done on high fantasy is without doubt Lord of The Rings! Ok sure some ultra hardcore book fans complained that specially in second movie the movie did not follow the books. They wanted to increase both females and elves involvment in the movies because quite frankly neither of them were mentioned much in the books.

I really don't classify The Vampire Diaries or True Blood TV series as high fantasy since if you forget that they have supernatural beings its has a lot to with modern world. Both of those series are also slightly more horror category because even the Demon in Moria was not so scary in LOTR movies.

That said I know a girl who have read all True Blood books and she told me that while the TV series is very different from the books many book readers love the TV series. I have both read and seen LOTR books but I have never read any True Blood books though I have seen all seasons released so far.