test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Eventual PVP?

jet8216jet8216 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello Everyone :)
This is my first time on the forums and I have been reading the past threads looking for information about PVP.
I played the original NWN way back when, and the best thing about it was the individual mulitplayer servers that were created and hosted by the players.
I understand that it is probably to early to be talking about it, but i am just curious if anyone has heard if it will be a similar system for the online play?
I played on the BadLands server so if there is anyone from that server out there feel free to get in touch. :D
-Jetoman
Post edited by jet8216 on

Comments

• bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually PvP is one of the reasons they are holding off the release till 2013 (from its origianl late 2012 release schedule) so that they can add a full PvP structure.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Just to make it short simple and clear:

The only information we have on PvP is that it will exist.
    Other than that we're limited to speculation.
  • lowbaitlowbait Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    just one server it seams
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Iick. Please no. PvP and MMO's are a bad mix. Every single MMO that has PvP has incessant complaining about how imbalanced or broken it is.

Best to just leave it out. But that's just my two cents. Not like it'll happen.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Just to make it short simple and clear:

The only information we have on PvP is that it will exist.
    Other than that we're limited to speculation.

yep about this much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DDwcZ_gF0
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please don't start PvP must/must not be int this game. There has been enough in the previous threads flaming one way or another already. Long story short, the game was delayed to 2013 for polish and to release it with PvP at launch not release then PvP delayed to 2013.

PvP won't be everywhere and like combat only some places will allow it. AS for the type(s) and rewards we have no info yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    PvP won't be everywhere and like combat only some places will allow it. AS for the type(s) and rewards we have no info yet.[/QUOTE]

Good, not being able to avoid pvp would prevent me from being a customer,
    here's to well defined boundaries between the two :)
  • jojinraiunjojinraiun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    PvP can be an enjoyable thing. It doesn't has to be about killing each other, but pitting wits against wits.

In the spirit of D&D and the treasures and glory most players go for, I think a smart implementation would be about competing for an end goal. For example, multiple groups trying to be the first to clear a dungeon or zone full of traps and other dangerous pitfalls.
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    jojinraiun wrote: »
    PvP can be an enjoyable thing. It doesn't has to be about killing each other, but pitting wits against wits.

In the spirit of D&D and the treasures and glory most players go for, I think a smart implementation would be about competing for an end goal. For example, multiple groups trying to be the first to clear a dungeon or zone full of traps and other dangerous pitfalls.

With the foundry you can do something like that.I always wanted to see somthing like ENFO in a MMO.
  • thorley1983thorley1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I cant wait to try it out. the pvp system is a bit limited in STO at the moment. maybe it can be reverse engineered to fix sto's pvp matches
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ----Lt Cmdr @Thorley - Jupiter Force----
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

It can be if you don't have asshats, however I've never seen an mmo without them when it comes to pvp
  • jojinraiunjojinraiun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It can be if you don't have asshats, however I've never seen an mmo without them when it comes to pvp

Yes, but individuals who enjoy causing grief towards other players can do it regardless of the existence of PvP or not. That's just the sad, but true, part of people in general; there will always be those who wish to ruin any experience for another.

Any game design, which involves multiple players, cannot be made fool proof against malevolent actions of a player and still remain enjoyable.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a PvE carebear b:dirty I'd love to see a PvP system that makes the aggressor open to a severe death penalty. So I am skipping through the daiseys one day, with my trusty hell hound side kick, and some rotten Paladin attacks me, for no reason! Well, since the goodie two shoes was the aggressor, he should now be flagged for perma death or a level loss at minimum, and if I win, well he looses. That to me would be a "fair" compromise; if my game play has to suffer so Johnny Rotten can have his fun, then his game play should suffer if he fails. Oh Johnny...b:cry

Honestly though as long as I can opt completely out, then I don't care. If I am forced to PvP to get the best items, then I have a problem with the system.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Any game design, which involves multiple players, cannot be made fool proof against malevolent actions of a player and still remain enjoyable.

True, but deceiving. PvP will be a part of Neverwinter, and I'm fine with that, as long as it will be sequestered in bars and other WELL LABELED areas, so that those who have no interest at all in PvP, do not have to have it on their screens.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    True, but deceiving. PvP will be a part of Neverwinter, and I'm fine with that, as long as it will be sequestered in bars and other WELL LABELED areas, so that those who have no interest at all in PvP, do not have to have it on their screens.

OR there should be a PvP option for all player to turn PvP on or off,like in DC Universe
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    pvp is for pro's
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    pvp is for pro's

Yeah ... like this.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't mind a MMO having PVP as long as they don't start balancing the game around PVP, this has caused no end of headaches for PVE players in WoW, TOR and every other MMO that goes down that path.

My guess is PVP will be some type on MOBA or Dueling system I highly doubt we will see any form of world PVP.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

From what the demo showed, there are guards before you enter a zone of enemies, so the dangerous pvp zones should work the same way if implemented like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited October 2012
    I like how some of you PvE heros QQ about PvP when MMO usual have different types of servers to join like PvE one and a PvP one. If you cant handle getting gank then join a PvE server.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    borisbot wrote: »
    I like how some of you PvE heros QQ about PvP when MMO usual have different types of servers to join like PvE one and a PvP one. If you cant handle getting gank then join a PvE server.

If they did that whom would you then have to make cry in game ? Yourself ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited October 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    If they did that whom would you then have to make cry in game ? Yourself ?

Nope, noobs like you on the forum :)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The key word is "usually."

Check this post out. There will be no PvP or PvE servers so the effect PvP has on PvE is actually a very important topic to consider.

And one I personally feel is non-negotiable: no player who doesn't want to PvP should be encouraged into a PvP situation by PvE enticements.
    Cryptic should focus on ways to build a strong community, not build division lines by forcing confrontation between two radically different play-styles.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am all for consensual PvP but all against forced PvP which is r... not a good practice.
  • zoooperzoooper Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    Unrestricted PvP for all levels and all zones with fool loot. :)

Just stay at a spawn point in a noob zone and ... profit! b:pleased
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    If there is one major grip I have with PVP it is that. Spawn killing. At least let me get a few paces from the gate before we start. I need the world to load on my end before I get killed :D