test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can Rogues disable traps?

iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all. I realize this could change down the line and yes, we know that traps exist (and can be detected by rogues or possibly by classes other than rogues,) but what hasn't been made clear yet is if the Rogues can (like in DDO) disable said detected traps, or the game simply has them as an "injury" option for those who can't see the triggering areas and know where to avoid them?

Thanks to the foundry discussions bringing traps up, it's been made clear (at least for now,) that said traps in missions are dynamic and will move around in their rooms in "repeated missions," so thank you for that!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by iamtruthseeker on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    +1

And for the record, before anyone asks, no the devs have never commented on if traps which can be disabled are there or not but always avoided the question. In case the traps cannot be disabled as of now - please let us know so we can start demanding for it :p
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    it might be that if a class can they will be able to interact with traps, where as if you can not, that option will not exist. As they do not want to have loads of buttons to press, that's how I would do this things. lets hope.

I know secret passageways are in, so there must be a perception thing that allows you to see it and once see it interact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    "like the time I ran into a treasure-filled room right behind our Rogue, who managed to automatically see the buzzsaw traps embedded in the floor that I could not. That's a Passive Perception Check"

this i believe is the only source we have had so far on the matter, back at E3

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/8/3072042/neverwinter-preview.

so a heads up would be nice
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In 4e, there are 17 skills, where 3.5 had 36 skills plus 10 knowledge categories. Skills are fewer, but streamlined: for example, Perception covers spot, listen and search, while Thievery covers all open lock/disable trap/(and pick pocket, which I don't believe is getting implemented). WotCs introduction of "Roles" in 4e is something as a character builder, I despised. Trickster, Brawny... et al. MMO game developers should be expanding every non combat d&d duty that's possible to implement, not eliminating them and focusing solely on combat.

I would hope Cryptic didn't pigeon-hole rogues more-so than 4e has done. I'd like to see actual animations for spot and search. I want to see and hear the rogue disable the traps.

The Neverwinter rogue should play better and do more than the DDO rogue (it's seven years old). With so few classes shipping at launch, Cryptic will not be able to escape comparison.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    I think it'd be cool if there were a lockpick/disable trap mini-game like in Thief, Skyrim, Obscure etc. However, I can imagine some people getting annoyed with that (I would love it) b:irritated
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Interesting question.

My gut tells me they would have considered this long in advanced and implemented systems such as these:

- No traps in open areas.

- Traps in open areas effect only the trigger and their party

- Traps disabled by rogues in open areas are disabled for the rogue's party for a time

- Traps in instanced areas work as normal

I don't think Cryptic would be so cruel as to implement traps which couldn't be disabled or hurt "innocent" bystanders in open areas.
    However while we haven't seen any statements confirming Rogues will be able to pick locks and diable traps I don't think D&D has gone so far from the core that it's no longer the Rogue's Primary function.
    I think it's more of a question of how severe the punishment for not being able to disable traps or open locks will be, in which case I hope they don't EVER let players start quests the won't be able to finish due to traps or locks like DDO did.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think we have confirmation of picking locks by rogue, at least of chest, in last foundry video with that 'ghost pirate babe' which made the cryptic pause in presentation. Can someone else confirm, it should be at end where they keep chests in foundry room i think.

I think/hope that the only penelty for fail at disable trap is a bungled sytem which means trap cannot be disabled again. Also I hope they have straight 30-60% chance to solve the trap for any rogue instead of the need to have a maximisation build.
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    that could simply be the rogue's open chest animation though.

i feel like i'd really need lockpicking/traps otherwise i don't see the rogue as anything but a typical melee damage dealer.

i want to feel useful, and nothing says useful than having the party go, well, there maybe traps/locked chests so we better take a rogue.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh yeah Truth, I'd really like to know this as well.

Three big rogue skills I am curious about:
    1) Disarm Traps
    2) Pick Locks
    3) Pick Pockets
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This thread is hella Necrod. I'll throw a bone and say yes and close the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.