test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open world vs instanced

2»

Comments

• ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What's not understood at times is open world quests are the ones that are the "clear out" or "set up" quests more often than not making group participation possible via co-op instead of "kill Beezo yourself" requiring camping. Even when you have a "slayer" quest in "outdoor" options, it would be handled like the DDO "exploration zones" (even though it's instanced for them) where if you're in the area and have the quest, you get credit if somebody triggers the objective.

Except that in DDO you have to be actually partied up for this to happen (and to be in the same explorer instance, for that matter).

Now, if they do manage to implement seamless cooperation like you describe it, all the glory to them. This is an area where RaiderZ really fell flat on its face, where unless you get first hit on a monster, you get no loot or XP for the kill (sure, the quest 'objective' still gets checked, but who are we kidding here? People just line up and wait their turn).
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Except that in DDO you have to be actually partied up for this to happen (and to be in the same explorer instance, for that matter).

Now, if they do manage to implement seamless cooperation like you describe it, all the glory to them. This is an area where RaiderZ really fell flat on its face, where unless you get first hit on a monster, you get no loot or XP for the kill (sure, the quest 'objective' still gets checked, but who are we kidding here? People just line up and wait their turn).

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the "except DDO is instanced" thing; in other games, you don;t have to be grouped up, but in the area simply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raelishraelish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned the "except DDO is instanced" thing; in other games, you don;t have to be grouped up, but in the area simply.

yeah im quite sure the game will have "public quests" much like CO and warhammer online, but to be honest i prefer lots of overworld quests where you must share spawns with other players. i dont like running around in instances alone all day. i prefer seeing other players go about their questing if for nothing more than community reasons, too many mmos nowadays are either dead dying or instanced where you never see players anymore. always a good indicator of how well a given game is doing is how many people you see each day while questing . for instance i was playing allods online again last week, i think i saw maybe 4 players from start to lvl 10 hit up the auction house to get some new gear and i hit a broad general search, there were exactly 102 items in the auction period. horrible times lol. but back to topic , yeah i want public quests but i also want the old school quests like Tera has in an open world action combat environment.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »

Problem with following DDO's slayer or quest trigging credit then is it advocated pikers and is just bad all round. Depending on whether or not one get's xp from kills, DDO's wilderness quests are pointless except for the exploration. But as for exploration I'd rather see more of the GW2 model of exploration where you find obstacles to overcome to reach to or "jumping puzzles" as they are termed.
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If it is like champions at all, then you can group for the random outdoor quests (open area) as well as indoor ones. I think you will have to be grouped to get credit for a named kill (IE Bozo the Mighty) in public areas or solo it. I do not think you get credit just because someone else killed it who was not grouped with you. I could be wrong, but I seem to always have to kill the guy in champions myself anyways. But then I am just now starting to play champions from about a year break, and so I am remembering things from before vs now.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kullska wrote: »
    See, now I was under the impression Cryptic was trying to avoid folks having to camp for spawn X and that was why they were favoring quests with instance doors. Going to have to go back through the news releases now.

Sorry somehow this thread never updated in recent posts so saw this just today. But glad you found the video.

Also, I would like to point in case you good folks missed, In order to open doors to Vellosk you have to hunt werewolves in open areas to collect tokens. You collect X number of shar tokens and X number of Selune tokens and then only then portal to vellosk opens. These werewolves are in open areas near neverwinter woods while vellosk boss waits in a dungeon.
  • nizzieuxnizzieux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We shouldn't call it 'open world', when what we really mean is 'non-instanced' or 'instance-free'. The term 'open world' usually describes games that allow the player to move freely in the world and with no artificial barriers, games like Deus Ex, Gothic, GTA, The Elder Scrolls or Assassin's Creed. You go wherever you want to, the game doesn't put you in a level or zone, and kicks you to the next one once you're done. Whether the term can actually be used for themepark mmorpgs is another question, since high level mobs in some area pretty much deny you the possibility to go there, so I'd avoid it altogether.
  • cgowenscgowens Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't let these idiots who think they know anything about instancing fool you. From what I have played of this game its instanced. Everything is instanced and zoned. There is no persistent seamless world to run from 1 end of the world to the other.

All the naysayers will say oh but WoW is instanced you just have load screens in the background etc etc etc. The fact is perception is reality and when I have a ****ing load screen to go from one place to another it takes away from the game for me. the world feels small.

WoW is a zoned seamless MMO.

The MMO's of today are not like old school MMORPG's like EQ or Asherons Call, DAOC, etc.

So the answer to your question is yes, this is an isntanced game. Though I've had fun, I hate instanced MMO's with load screens between zones. You also have multiple instances of the same zone like you see in other MMO's today.

If you have played Dungeons and Dragons Online, its pretty close to that.

This is a zoned, instanced, themepark, train-rail MMO with invisi-barriers and that big mountain or hill to stop you from going off the path.
  • harrieastharrieast Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Instanced gameplay? Only seeing other players if they are in your party or in the main city, waiting for a dungeon / quest?
    This game just lost my interest... :/ If it was open world. I would be playing this non-stop.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Please do not use necromancy on dead threads. Kelemvor gets very upset about the Undead. (Dead-threads are threads that have had no new replies for 30+ days). If the topic is still relevant in a dead thread, please feel free to start a new thread on the topic rather than raising the dead.
This discussion has been closed.