test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pay To Win, where do we draw the line?

2»

Comments

• mightymoosemightymoose Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've played a number of Perfect World games and I think it's safe to say that this *will* be a P2W game. However, every F2P game I've played is P2W to some extent; the 2 simply goes hand in hand.

But one thing about Perfect World games is that even though they are P2W, it doesn't mean you have to actually pay to get the cash shop bonuses/items. This is because their games allow you to acquire cash shop currency with ingame currency as well.

To acquire cash shop items, you can use your credit card (real life money) to buy cash shop currency which is then used to buy things from the cash shop. The items are *very* desirable. Hence, you are in a sense "paying to win".

However, you can also exchange your ingame currency for cash shop currency via the auction house. So without spending a penny, you can aquire the same items from the cash shop. Anything people can buy with real life money, you can also buy with ingame money since both forms of currency allows you to aquire cash shop currency.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, just giving you an idea of how most Perfect World games work.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've played a number of Perfect World games and I think it's safe to say that this *will* be a P2W game. However, every F2P game I've played is P2W to some extent; the 2 simply goes hand in hand.

And, that's really the biggest thing I'm worried about. I don't even mind paying for the game if it's good, but only if it's balanced and fun. The thing about the so-called P2W games is that the balance is ruined for both the free and the paying customers (unless it's one of those immature players who enjoys griefing and "pwning noobs"), making it less fun for all. Even if it's a primarily PvE game, balance is still to be had, otherwise group play will be ruined as well.

Of course, it's not quite as clear a distinction between "acceptable" and "ruined", and the relative degree of "p2w" matters as well; however, I'd rather prefer them to avoid the issue by designing the cash shop to go around it in the first place.
  • hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    I think cosmetics (outfits, pets, etc.) are definitely a must for the shop, it is the least harmful way for them to make money. I support exp boosts, but if they were to implement these perhaps they should be implemented post-release so that any "I reached level cap first" claims would be legitimately earned and not bought. I also wouldn't mind things like mounts being on the list, as long as they can also be obtained in-game without paying real money.

As for things that would seem unfair, any equipment or performance buffs would be out of question (because unless PvP is an end game activity, it will make it unfair for us free to play users). Houses or storage upgrades (pure speculation) would also fall under the same conditions as the mount. DLC such as quests, followers (still speculation), and instances would only be issues if they provide players with an advantage via unique loot (it serves the same purpose as buying equipment).

I'm nervous about how they will manage their micro transactions, but for now I'm hopeful and honestly I plan to even put forth money every now and then when I can to support them if all turns out well. I'm happy as long as it doesn't take away from the D&D experience! ;)
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hazroth wrote: »
    I support exp boosts, but if they were to implement these perhaps they should be implemented post-release so that any "I reached level cap first" claims would be legitimately earned and not bought.

I'm not sure why anyone would care about this, I sure don't. Never understood the charm of grinding to cap asap. If someone wants to do it, they can drop all the cash they want, this has just as much effect on my gameplay as in-store cosmetics.
    As for things that would seem unfair, any equipment or performance buffs would be out of question (because unless PvP is an end game activity, it will make it unfair for us free to play users). Houses or storage upgrades (pure speculation) would also fall under the same conditions as the mount. DLC such as quests, followers (still speculation), and instances would only be issues if they provide players with an advantage via unique loot (it serves the same purpose as buying equipment).

I think this should be either/or. If they sell DLCc through store (classes, races, contect etc.) a'la DDO, then that's where they should draw the line and have all the loot/mounts/whatever fully obtainable through relevant gameplay. If they decide to charge for upgrades/crafting mats, then they should make content fully available for free. I don't really see a middle ground, and charging for both would be essentially charging for the game twice.
    I'm nervous about how they will manage their micro transactions, but for now I'm hopeful and honestly I plan to even put forth money every now and then when I can to support them if all turns out well. I'm happy as long as it doesn't take away from the D&D experience! ;)

My #1 on the wishlist is that they make payments easily doable for people living outside US and w/o a credit card. There are a few games (crappy, admittedly, but popular like WoT) that allow purchases through the omnipresent direct cash transfer services/terminals, and having that would be great for me.
  • hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    I'm not sure why anyone would care about this, I sure don't. Never understood the charm of grinding to cap asap. If someone wants to do it, they can drop all the cash they want, this has just as much effect on my gameplay as in-store cosmetics.

For the same reason anyone really cares about achievements in games, its just something to either be proud of or brag about. Personally, it's not a goal of mine. The thought just came to me as I responded. It really wouldn't make that much of an difference if it was available at release or delayed for a few days.

However, I am curious if there will be sales (50% off, etc.). That would be exciting.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    hazroth wrote: »
    However, I am curious if there will be sales (50% off, etc.). That would be exciting.

Cryptic had been known to offer special time / random deals on both C-Store point purchases and in game discounts in the cash shop in Star Trek Online and Champions Online. Since PWE has taken over, I don't recall any deals on buying Zen Points, other than the normal deals you get when buying in bulk. I could have just missed them, if they had. However, they have continued to do seemingly random and special time deals on in game cash shop items in STO and CO. I would expect this to continue into NWO, since it is also a Cryptic Developed Game like STO and CO.
  • siolenassiolenas Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Store items I DO NOT like:
    Content, quest packs, region packs, classes, races, unlockable gold caps (requires a sub).

I can see an understand quest packs, and region packs become in the item shop. Other games call those "Expansion Packs" and charge for them. TO me that is fine. Companies need to turn a profit or the servers shut down. Your ideas of fluff to me seems kinda dated.

So I would expect to see new class/races/quests/zones purchasable

~Siolenas
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Necromancy is not allowed in these halls, as ordained by the Clergy of Kelemvor. Please, if a thread has been inactive for 30+ days, it is considered a "dead topic." Instead of resurrecting the resting dead, please start a new topic or find an active thread on the same topic.
This discussion has been closed.