test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Customization at Launch

khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Although I understand that Neverwinter will be a Free to Play game, I am curious as to what level they will allow customization at launch. Will appearance be gear focused like non-Cryptic MMOs, or will Character Creation be as varied and in depth as their other games?

Personally, I feel that starting characters should reflect the type of equipment they start out with, but within that there should be very detailed customization. Physical appearance should differ from player to player, allowing a variety of faces, body types, hair, skin and height. This includes weight ((Yes, heroes -can- be pudgy and still be heroes, effective and strong )).

I'd like to see that two characters with the same equipment can look different, in terms of color, tinting, and possibly even effects. Two characters using the same breast plate might have shiny copper or steel plate, where another might have a duller, worn version, where as another might have it painted blue with a star design.

In other words, I am hoping that PWE/Cryptic allows the same attention to detail in customization as their other two MMOs. What are your thoughts on the issue?
Post edited by khoraxgator on

Comments

• freekimdotcomfreekimdotcom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Knowing Cryptic, the character customization will not be disappointing. Their other games are well known for personalization when it comes to your face and character proportions.

I've read that they want the best gear to be from adventures. They want people to see what you're wearing and say, "Wow! look at that armor! It's so cool and rare!"

So your clothing will be based on what items you are wearing. The real question is, will they have costumes so you can look like something else while you are wearing your good gear? And will you be able to dye your gear, including the 'super rare epic' armor? As far as I know, that is unconfirmed.

In my perfect world (haha!) you would be able to edit/craft your armor like in NWN1. You would be able to select from at least 20-30 pieces of armor for every part of your armor. (feet, shins, thighs, pelvis, chest, hands, forearms, biceps, shoulder, neck etc.)
    One can only dream :)
  • fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have played Champs and STO.
    I have also play PWI.
    I imagine that character customization will be more than adequate.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    For me the essential question of this thread is pretty important. There are a lot more things that keep players coming back to a game than the visual customization, but I really, REALLY would miss it if Neverwinter doesn't have the depth that CO and STO have.
  • vashthedrunkvashthedrunk Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2012
    I personally like character customization of APB it puts sims 3 to shame.
  • freekimdotcomfreekimdotcom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Unless you can say you are OK with every player character looking exactly the same, playing online RPGs is about your character and what he/she looks like and how they perform. Other humans can see what you look like and that motivates players.

I know D&D is more than just grinding your character and customizing visuals, but video games do not require the amount of imagination PnP D&D does. In fact, providing visuals for the user sort of blocks flow of imagination. Character customization is key when it comes to online video games.
    edited July 2012
    I agree with what you said about providing visuals block flow of imagination, however since this is a graphical online game there's no way of avoiding it. Also most of probably prefer to have stunning graphical features.

So it's either go all out and make the visuals detailed, I'm not just talking about graphical wise but with the animation and belt loops, sheaths (not the ones that just stick out), holsters and all the while make them attacked to belt loops or armor, because a hovering sheath is still a hovering weapon.

Character customization is really a huge key in any MMO in my opinion. Without it it would almost seem like another cookie cutter mmo.
  • johnvandintherjohnvandinther Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't want 1,000 choices that nobody will notice. I want 100 distinct choices that will help me stick out as unique in the bar.

RPGs often have immensely diverse settings, like wider chin or thinner lips, that NEVER get noticed. While I DON'T want the cartoony style of WoW, there needs to be BIG choices, like VERY different hair styles, obvious eye-patches, and an extensive range of body types and colors for each race.

The only game where everyone should look about the same is LoTRO, which fits that mythos well.

I think this can be well done in a DnD Universe. There is a vast array of character types in DnD fantasy art to draw on.
    edited July 2012
    I actually want the tiny details that many might not notice at first glance, It makes a character unique and creates an immersion and makes me like my character better. Also I commonly zoom in to other peoples toons to check them out and see if they made any intresting unique details like a brow bar etc...

I love the way how APB does their character customizations where they pretty much allow free range and people can actually draw their own art/tattoos and decals. If anyone's familar, If not they should youtube it.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't want 1,000 choices that nobody will notice. I want 100 distinct choices that will help me stick out as unique in the bar.

RPGs often have immensely diverse settings, like wider chin or thinner lips, that NEVER get noticed. While I DON'T want the cartoony style of WoW, there needs to be BIG choices, like VERY different hair styles, obvious eye-patches, and an extensive range of body types and colors for each race.

That's a pretty good point. But in counter to that I will say that I would notice. Which is to say, as the kind of person that can spend 2 hours on chin and lip (and other tiny body feature) sliders, I'd appreciate the stupidly fine details in looking at my avatar, even if nobody else notices them.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    ... as the kind of person that can spend 2 hours on chin and lip sliders, ...

I thought that was just me, but there are others? b:shocked
  • bunnyfockerbunnyfocker Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2012
    Cryptic will not disappoint in character customization. This is about the only thing guaranteed. If you play CO, or STO, it's pretty detailed. They may even force you to draw up a background story and have you play your alignment.lol.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I thought that was just me, but there are others? b:shocked

Nope, not just you! I know a lot of times when I am beta-testing new MMOs, one of the major annoyances I have is when I am booted out of the game because I am taking a long time at character creation to detail my character's appearance "just right." I too can spend a great deal of time on the character creation screens. Even in STO and CO, I often had days where I did hardly anything more than just re-doing all my character's (and BOffs/Ships) appearances.

As another stated, if STO's and CO's character customization options are any indication of what we can expect in NWO, then I too do not think we shall be disappointed. Indeed.
    edited July 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    As another stated, if STO's and CO's character customization options are any indication of what we can expect in NWO, then I too do not think we shall be disappointed. Indeed.

I'm going to cry big, fat nerdy tears if it isn't. :(