test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter questions

hakt85hakt85 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi, im a returning forum lurker thats been on and off on this forum.

I had a few questions about this game if anyone from the community had time to answer them.

I was wondering if we will be able to buy this game in store as either a hard copy or collectors edition?

I was also wondering if theres any chance we will see more screenshot from the game soon, (Any major event coming up soon?)
Ive been following this game since the beginning and if i remember right Cryptic talked about releasing some new screenshots from time to time, it would be great to see some in-game footage which isnt just from the movies, aswell as some character Models samples that youve created.

The Models which is displayed on the playable races section look great.

Also -Will hobgoblins be in the game? :-P
Post edited by hakt85 on

Comments

• Options
    elrohianelrohian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    The game is f2p, so there's no way to buy it in any form, digital or physical - just free download.

CB is coming in a few months, and that is when more info will probably start being given out.

Also, Cryptic was bought out by PWE and they tend to do things a bit diffeerent (ie they generally don't give out any substancial information before the betas start)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hey, thanks for the info, since this game is free to play, what can we expect to be able to buy from the store based on other games Perfect World has?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    They said that they're planning on only putting cosmetics and the like in the CS, but we'll see...
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Would be cool if they had some adventure's like durlags tower we could buy from the store etc thats made for neverwinter from the developers,

Whos the writer that creates the story line etc in the game? i heard RA salvatore was involved but was it for the whole game or just neverwinter design..
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    hakt85 wrote: »
    Would be cool if they had some adventure's like durlags tower we could buy from the store etc thats made for neverwinter from the developers,

Whos the writer that creates the story line etc in the game? i heard RA salvatore was involved but was it for the whole game or just neverwinter design..

You should read the interviews. They are doing that. Also, its not just one writer, but many.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the link, i hadnt seen that one before, was also trying to get a discussion going :-P anyway, ill head there and read it.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2012
    elrohian wrote: »
    They said that they're planning on only putting cosmetics and the like in the CS, but we'll see...

As much as I am looking forward to Neverwinter and as much as I have been a supporter of both Cryptic's and Perfect World's, I am worried that this will not remain true. STO's store and money-making gimicks have strayed so far from a similar statement made about that game. Don't even get me started on the locked boxes and the dilithium system in that game. Needless to say, I lost faith and interest in STO a few months ago and haven't played since, after being a supporter and player since its beta phases.

I understand the need to make money but when that turns into paying real money to have better "equipment" than other players, is where I draw the line in MMOs.

I beckon upon Mystryl that Neverwinter doesn't fall prey to the gods of greed, trickery and lies.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Blame STO and those boxes mainly on Atari's influence. 'Nuff said. This Neverwinter game will have cosmetic clothing and appearance items, pets, and xp boosting items only for the cash shop. Whether we have to pay in-game currency to post created Foundry games like STO does w diluthium is unknown though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Blame STO and those boxes mainly on Atari's influence. 'Nuff said. This Neverwinter game will have cosmetic clothing and appearance items, pets, and xp boosting items only for the cash shop. Whether we have to pay in-game currency to post created Foundry games like STO does w diluthium is unknown though.

I wish I could, unfortunately the continued market changes and the locked boxes are post-Atari and are similar to things found in other PWE games. Time will tell. With my deep love, fascination and knowledge of the Forgotten Realms, I am going to remain optimistic since Wizards of the Coast shall also be in the picture.

I have always stated, since DDO was first talked about, that it should have been Forgotten Realms and if not -- then at the very least Greyhawk or Dragonlance. As much as I enjoy DDO from time to time, I just do not care for Ebberon despite my love of Turbine. So, with the change to Neverwinter Nights going to MMO as Neverwinter, this is potentially going to be the only MMO I will be playing. Thusly, I have some very strong opinions, concerns and wishes for its future and longevity.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I don't care if they sell power items in the cash shop. I can't think of a cash shop game that doesn't sell some sort of booster, power items, advantage, or what not. Even buying cosmetics in a cash shop is an advantage over those who have to spend time gaming for the same things.

The only things I really don't like in a cash shop are store exclusives. Turbine had tons of these and it really sucked the fun out of game play. What good is playing a game if I have to go shopping for the fun stuff?

I'm not a huge fan of the lockboxes either, but I just don't buy the keys for them. I usually either delete them or try and sell them on the broker/auction system.

edit:
    I also hope they don't sell content like Turbine does. That gets expensive fast and is a real demotivator if you don't have the content that your friends or guild want to run. I would much rather purchase henchmen, items, buffs, and the like and have all content accessible.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    As much as I am looking forward to Neverwinter and as much as I have been a supporter of both Cryptic's and Perfect World's, I am worried that this will not remain true. STO's store and money-making gimicks have strayed so far from a similar statement made about that game. Don't even get me started on the locked boxes and the dilithium system in that game. Needless to say, I lost faith and interest in STO a few months ago and haven't played since, after being a supporter and player since its beta phases.

I understand the need to make money but when that turns into paying real money to have better "equipment" than other players, is where I draw the line in MMOs.

I beckon upon Mystryl that Neverwinter doesn't fall prey to the gods of greed, trickery and lies.

Every single f2p MMO has to make money somehow, which means that in every single MMO the f2p system will be unfair to some.

People condemn pay2win as this is the worst possible model, but it's not. It is the worst model IF you, as a player, are in the game for the PVP competition. Which is why I often facepalm when people accuse some clearly PVE-centered games for being p2w.

For insance, PWE's FW. Is it pay to win? Absolutely. Is there much to win? Not really... it's no Ultima Online. The whole game is based around guild teamwork and guild bases, PVP is there mostly just for the fun and PVE difficulty is designed for free players...

On the contrary, people often regard LoL as the perfect f2p model... NO, it's not. It's the only one that works for MOBA - because the moment you introduce paying for power in a game that is 100% PVP competition you have dug your own gravehole - but it also has its substancial limits. Players who want to experience playing many different champions? Nope, you have to literally grind enough points to buy them, unless they pay. People wanting to go into competitive matches as soon as they feel confident about their abilities? Nope, without XP boosts getting to that point is a tedious crawl. People wanting personalisation of their champions? Well, they can't even grind out points for the skins, they have to pay for them...

I, as a person who is not into that competition thing, would personally prefer it to be pay2win if that means complete access to all the game content and to all the character customisation... I respect people wanting f2p balance in PVP but MMORPGs never were good competitive games to begin with anyway...
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Personally, I would prefer that all things of a balanced nature should be obtainable solely through game play, not the size of one's wallet. However, the assumption that placing gear on a RTM market doesn't affect PvErs is flat out wrong, which is why I mentioned STO and the recent changes that make it so if you do not spend money on Dilithium or Ships and do not PvP, you will be in an endless daily grind-fest, doing the same handful of missions over and over again to gain Dilithium just to buy the items in game. Which, for casual PvErs, it can take weeks if not months of hours of daily grinding of the same missions, over and over just to afford a ship you have out-leveled while trying to afford it. Repetition and Corporate Greed is not fun, for me at least.

So, back to my original statement before it was picked apart; it is my wish that the promise of RTM transactions remaining "fluff" items, with no impact on game balance, remain true.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Personally, I would prefer that all things of a balanced nature should be obtainable solely through game play, not the size of one's wallet. However, the assumption that placing gear on a RTM market doesn't affect PvErs is flat out wrong, which is why I mentioned STO and the recent changes that make it so if you do not spend money on Dilithium or Ships and do not PvP, you will be in an endless daily grind-fest, doing the same handful of missions over and over again to gain Dilithium just to buy the items in game. Which, for casual PvErs, it can take weeks if not months of hours of daily grinding of the same missions, over and over just to afford a ship you have out-leveled while trying to afford it. Repetition and Corporate Greed is not fun, for me at least.

So, back to my original statement before it was picked apart; it is my wish that the promise of RTM transactions remaining "fluff" items, with no impact on game balance, remain true.

Buying fluff isn't any different than buying gear/items to me. Either you spend the time it takes to buy something in game or you buy it. If someone can buy a pet from the cash shop they have an advantage of time over someone who must game for 50 hours to get the same thing.

There is no right or wrong here because this isn't a moral issue unless the company is cheating people out of what they've purchased. If a F2P game ends up being more expensive per month than my P2P games, to get the whole game experience, then I usually pass on it for another game. Either that or I slow my progress down some and game for more, and buy less.

At some point people should have to spend some amount of money on the game. For me it all comes down to how much I need to spend in a period of time to get the full game experience. I pay $8.33/mo for RIFT and get the entire game plus account services for that price. I pay $13/mo for EQ2 and mostly get what I want with the occasional extra Station Cash purchase during bonus days. If my F2P games fall in that spectrum I'm fine with that. I don't usually stay subbed to EQ2 long though.

In the end cost and what we'll pay is subjective. What is convenient for you or me may not be convenient for others. Having the option to game or buy it in a cash shop game seems in line with the business model.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Paying to get a better inventory managment interface, or to be able to customize your armour or robe colour, own a house/mansion/castle, or to lead a guild is one thing. Having to pay to be competitive is another.

I certainly don't want to complete an adventure only to get a note that says for only ?2.50 you can get the Holy Avenger or pay nothing and get this +1 Woodman's Axe.

If the game is compelling enough I will pay for extras(fluff), but I won't pay just so I can stay on par with the 15YO that has nothing better to spend thier money on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    propagandawar23propagandawar23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2012
    15 year old with money. Hah. They are the ones without it. I want to pay for my game. I know these guys put in a lot of work. When I played DnD live I didn't care about balance. I knew I had to watch the lvl 2 wizard?s <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because he was good for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at low levels. With that being said seeing some nub with a +5 Vorpal Sword at lvl 2 would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me off as he mows down everything without an assist. I won't be buying personal buffs in a F2P. I think buying stuff to craft items, buying stuff to put in your Forge kit, "Solo" adventures, henchmen, races, Cosmo <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, pets, Group Party (Buffs) and so forth would be a great thing. I am willing to pay up to $15.00 a month on your game. If its FtP make sure you have what I am willing to spend money on monthly, because yes I will only be buying one house.