test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Controller Support?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
After watching the gameplay on the latest vid from mmorpg.com I wonder if I can use a 360/PS3 controller with this game..? When I first played DCUO I stopped after 10min and went out got a PS3 controller, downloaded a controller emulator to emulate it as 360 and was so much better off. Im not huge fan of having to constantly use the mouse in a vid game.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Champions Online you can use a controller. Now, whether they will give that same consideration to Neverwinter remains to be seen, but since this is Cryptic's engine, I would not doubt that the ability to plug in a 360 controller and play would be an option.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Just guessing from the style of play I've seen so far I don't see why it would be difficult to have controllers as a built-in feature. With the aiming and minimal interface (read not 40 hotkeys) mapping all of the attacks, movements, and such to buttons shouldn't be a huge issue so if there is no official support, you should at least be able to use a third-party tool to map buttons and movements accordingly.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Even if it's not officially supported by the devs, I've been hard pressed to find a game I couldn't use a mouse emulator for my controller to play. I used something called Xpadder but there are about a million more out there for you to choose from, it's just a matter of personal preference.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    tharar wrote:
    Even if it's not officially supported by the devs, I've been hard pressed to find a game I couldn't use a mouse emulator for my controller to play. I used something called Xpadder but there are about a million more out there for you to choose from, it's just a matter of personal preference.

/agreed. Unlike DDO, the fewer number of powers and (likely) switching powers between combats means mapping to a gamepad could work very well!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    /agreed. Unlike DDO, the fewer number of powers and (likely) switching powers between combats means mapping to a gamepad could work very well!

One thing about older MMOs and DnD in particular I think, and probably the mix up in the mind of some people, is for some reason people feel comfortable with a lot of, but unecesarry buttons or abilities to call from. This has always confused me in the MMO industry since you have bars and bars of abilities (myself having played UO for several years) that a goodly chunk are fundamentally useless in the actual activities of the character.

I think the tightening up of things is actually a good thing because when you boil down to it, players generally only focus on a few things at a time. Even in DnD and even talking from the perspective of an RPer, players would innately focus on a very small number even if they had sheets and sheets of spells or proficiencies to call upon.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I like the idea of supporting a controller, but not at the expense of keyboard and mouse support options.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    How would controller support cost mouse and keyboard support? That really doesn't add up in the grand scheme of things. Both Champions Online and Star Trek Online have full 360 controller support and work well with the controllers along with the mouse and keyboard. Cryptic's engine was originally designed with the idea to put games on the XBox, but after deals with Microsoft fell through that ended that idea completely. But they still built up and retained the controller support for the games and engine.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    silverspar wrote: »
    How would controller support cost mouse and keyboard support? That really doesn't add up in the grand scheme of things. Both Champions Online and Star Trek Online have full 360 controller support and work well with the controllers along with the mouse and keyboard. Cryptic's engine was originally designed with the idea to put games on the XBox, but after deals with Microsoft fell through that ended that idea completely. But they still built up and retained the controller support for the games and engine.

Hey, as long as it all works well together I am happy. I would just hate to see the game pushed towards one control scheme or the other and have controls suffer. I prefer to play my PC games with a mouse and keyboard...but I can't speak for everyone, of course. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Because you have to design the UI with a specific type of input device in mind, and a M/K behaves very differently from a gamepad. So either you make two different UIs (one for each different input device) or you design a single UI with both in mind (usually meaning they design it for the controller and then put in a few K/M touches).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    tharar wrote:
    Because you have to design the UI with a specific type of input device in mind, and a M/K behaves very differently from a gamepad. So either you make two different UIs (one for each different input device) or you design a single UI with both in mind (usually meaning they design it for the controller and then put in a few K/M touches).

Though the viewpoint is valid, it is flawed as well. Again, if you are worried if one or the other overshadows, I might suggest downloading and trying out either Champions Online or Star Trek Online and seeing for yourself. Both games are free to play as well. And both games are using Cryptic's engine.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Though the viewpoint is valid, it is flawed as well. Again, if you are worried if one or the other overshadows, I might suggest downloading and trying out either Champions Online or Star Trek Online and seeing for yourself. Both games are free to play as well. And both games are using Cryptic's engine.

QFT. I have seen many a game both computer and MMO use mouse, keyboard, joystick AND gamepad. Offering multiple emulations increases user base signup not delays the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    And the Witcher 2 has a great layout for both gamepad and M/K. But the fact remains the game was clearly designed for M/K and some things are just easier to quickly access and reach with a M/K over a gamepad. I'm not saying the two can't coexist but when you design a UI you have to have a specific input(s) in mind and at some point you have to make concessions.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    tharar wrote:
    And the Witcher 2 has a great layout for both gamepad and M/K. But the fact remains the game was clearly designed for M/K and some things are just easier to quickly access and reach with a M/K over a gamepad. I'm not saying the two can't coexist but when you design a UI you have to have a specific input(s) in mind and at some point you have to make concessions.

True, but I have also seen games that do all of the above (ironically DDO has a nice gamepad option.) SInce this game specifically is made to "fire while moving" I can't be certain if different emulations would work as easily.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    True, but I have also seen games that do all of the above (ironically DDO has a nice gamepad option.) SInce this game specifically is made to "fire while moving" I can't be certain if different emulations would work as easily.

Well I can say with pretty good certainty that it most likely should be fine. I pretty much play all my games but competitive FPSes with a gamepad on my computer (either through emulation or in-game support) and I actually have a friend who plays all games (FPSes included) on a gamepad (often using emulation) and he doesn't seem to have a hard time aiming or playing; so I'd say with enough tweaking you'll be able to get it working just fine.

I'd imagine I'd put my dodge/utility on (I use a PS3 controller) O, jump on X, 2 at-will's on square and triangle, daily on R2, and my two encounters on L1/R1. And that still leaves all of the D-pad, L2, start, select, and the analog stick buttons.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I too would love for there to be controller support.

Ive been playing ddo for the last two months using my 360 controller, that has alot more keys to bind than this does.
    7 slots will be easy to accomplish
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I too would love for there to be controller support.

Ive been playing ddo for the last two months using my 360 controller, that has alot more keys to bind than this does.
    7 slots will be easy to accomplish

There are more than 7 slots.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    There are more than 7 slots.

Yeah, but the swapped powers won't go beyond 7 slots from what I read.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, but the swapped powers won't go beyond 7 slots from what I read.

That still doesn't negate there are more than 7 slots. There are what I believe was 7 power slots and then 5 item slots.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    That still doesn't negate there are more than 7 slots. There are what I believe was 7 power slots and then 5 item slots.

Short of potions (of healing) I don't see a button reason to need keyed item slots. It's more likely a cold-swap for items will do unlike the vast item combos we needed in DDO with all that alignment <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Short of potions (of healing) I don't see a button reason to need keyed item slots. It's more likely a cold-swap for items will do unlike the vast item combos we needed in DDO with all that alignment <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Hehe, you forget that many items in 4th have daily or encounter powers of their own, not to mention there are more than just potions as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hehe, you forget that many items in 4th have daily or encounter powers of their own, not to mention there are more than just potions as well.

Mostly daily, which will be pretty one-shot for the entire mission likely. I'd rather have a toolbar for those things.
  • Options
    nzg03317204nzg03317204 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Yes, please for the love of god add gamepad support. Just do it smartly. From the sounds of it, it appears the Devs should be capable of this. Ill just throw out FFXIV, as evidence of what some in this thread are worried about. However, if they make a seperate interface for each type of user, there will be no problem. Just dont pull a FFXIV, and make the game with gamepad only in mind, and gimp the K/M users with a system that seems like an after though.
  • Options
    needaloxneedalox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Yea, I really want gamepad support too. But I definately agree with the above poster...... Do it the RIGHT way.
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Arcade Stick Ftw
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    needaloxneedalox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm just gonna bump this. I didnt see anything from E3 suggesting the possibility of Gamepad support. I'm still waiting to for some official word on this. With the action combat, what Cryptic has done in the past, and the minimal actions, I'd say it would be perfect. On the off chance Cryptic doesnt plan to support gamepads........... might want to think about changing that plan.
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would really like controller support, specifically official XBOX 360 controller support b:laugh

I have issues with mice...

My hopes for this are a bit up since I see in the demo videos only a few buttons to click at the bottom of the screen which could easily be mapped to the controller...
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    giggliato wrote: »
    I would really like controller support, specifically official XBOX 360 controller support b:laugh

I have issues with mice...

My hopes for this are a bit up since I see in the demo videos only a few buttons to click at the bottom of the screen which could easily be mapped to the controller...

I'm also hoping for native controller support. If we just take into consideration that both CO and STO (Cryptic's other two MMOs) both have built-in controller support, then I think it will be safe to assume there will be some sort of controller support in NWO also. I sure hope so!

But hey, if not.. we can still find free versions of Xpadder and other 3rd party programs to give controller support. I use Xpadder to give controller support in RaiderZ, when I do play. Makes it much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Cryptic engine supports gamepad controllers, but it has not been confirmed if this game customized will support it. I have asked Stormshade in the Ask the Developers thread here I'll note this in my New Users FAQ also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lazric76lazric76 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    +1 for game pad options

i tried ddo quite a while back for a very short time and iirc back then you had to use 3rd party software to map your controler. or in the case of my logitec ps2 clone,the included software. i tried it again resently and was happy to see the option to map your controler right ingame.

they have a function included which i cant remember the name of right off so for lack of a better word ill call it a "mode" button. the whole point of it is to double the buttons on your controler. so unless they go way over on hot bars,which it doesnt look like they are,then we'll be fine.

as an example,my set up for ddo was-left stick=movement which would be w.a.s.d.
    right stick=move camera which would be mouse movement.
    x,square,circle,triangle,and start are hot bar slots 1-5,mode button and those same keys are hotbar slots 6-10.
    up/down on cross pad cycles hotbars,right/left on cross pad cycles weapon sets.
    right and left shoulder buttons are for attack,jump,block,mode button and select is my use/interact button.

sorry to be so long winded,just saying if they do it right then the number of hot bars/hot bar slots wont be an issue
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lazric76 wrote: »
    +1 for game pad options

i tried ddo quite a while back for a very short time and iirc back then you had to use 3rd party software to map your controler. or in the case of my logitec ps2 clone,the included software. i tried it again resently and was happy to see the option to map your controler right ingame.

they have a function included which i cant remember the name of right off so for lack of a better word ill call it a "mode" button. the whole point of it is to double the buttons on your controler. so unless they go way over on hot bars,which it doesnt look like they are,then we'll be fine.

as an example,my set up for ddo was-left stick=movement which would be w.a.s.d.
    right stick=move camera which would be mouse movement.
    x,square,circle,triangle,and start are hot bar slots 1-5,mode button and those same keys are hotbar slots 6-10.
    up/down on cross pad cycles hotbars,right/left on cross pad cycles weapon sets.
    right and left shoulder buttons are for attack,jump,block,mode button and select is my use/interact button.

sorry to be so long winded,just saying if they do it right then the number of hot bars/hot bar slots wont be an issue

Consideing the dynamic aiming needed for this game, it's one of the few times I'm considering actually buying a game controller for my PC based on the game's suggested mechanics.

Well, I do hate WASD movement anyway and who uses joysticks anymore?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.