test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

3.5 Waterdeep Campaign Bio

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2011 in Art and Fiction
This is my Character Bio for my latest 3.5 campaign, set in Waterdeep, shortly before the Time of Troubles.

The first time I played with this group, I was assigned a pre-generated NPC’s sheet and introduced to the PCs as a member of the City Watch. After the DM decided that I was qualified to officially join as a player, we got together to discuss my new official character. I enjoyed playing the NPC, so I decided to just run with that, but he insisted that I roll for stats and make a new character from scratch, though I was allowed to transplant this character into the campaign as the NPC that I played. I wanted to make a basic fighter, nothing fancy, because, as the new guy, I felt it was important to avoid stealing too much of the glory from the existing players, but the DM really wanted me to try something from the Book of Nine Swords, so I chose a Warblade, and since I was starting off at lvl 9, I got to choose one of the Nine Swords. I picked Unfettered (Stone Dragon). So much for avoiding grand theft glory! :)

The NPC I played was named Orinar the Mighty, as far as the players know, to this date, my character is simply Orinar of the City Watch. If someone from my campaign actually reads this, SPOILER ALERT!

Sorry the Bio isn’t paced the way a traditional Bio should be, but the Character Info sheet that starts off the Bio is required by the DM. Also, most of the official cannon characters mentioned in this Bio were contacts granted to me by the DM. So, really, what you are reading is my skill at weaving a ton of essentially vague facts about my character, that were assigned to me, into a somewhat cohesive story.

Bio Start
Skuli Ketilson (Skoolee) - Sentinel Pseudonym: Orinar the Mighty

Height: 6’ 3” Weight: 280lbs Hair: Red Eyes: Blue Age: 35

What is your personality?
Fairly light hearted and easy going on the surface, but underneath, ever the cool and calculating warrior, waiting for the best moment to strike a fatal blow to any problem within reach. He sympathizes with the cities middle classes, critical of the excess of the wealthy and the squalor of the destitute. He thinks of himself (since joining the Sentinels) as an unseen hero for honest hardworking folk. He has a keen sense of duty and is utterly devoted to the brotherhood of the watch. He has seen enough of the world to know that nothing is black and white and, in special circumstances, may ignore minor infractions of the law, as long as the greater good of Waterdeep is served and no innocent citizen is affected.

What did you do in your life before you became an adventurer?
Being the sons of a City Watch drill instructor afforded he and his brother, Grenyar, the opportunity to become competent fighters, weaponsmiths and employed as officer's stewards by the time they came of age. After a few years, they dreamt of a more exciting life outside of the city and decided to strike out on their own, beyond the reach of their often overbearing father (Gudrek).

Where are you from and what are your connections to your origin?
Born and raised in Waterdeep, his grandfather immigrated from Luskan in his youth. Skuli has only heard tales of the old country, but has no connections there. Almost everyone he has ever known in Waterdeep has been connected to the City Watch in some way.

What is your family like?
At only 6' 3", Skuli is the runt of the family, being only slightly taller than his own mother. It was his physical inferiority to Grenyar that drove him further than anyone could have ever have expected. His uncle Einar, the tallest in the clan, possesses a kind heart and always made an effort to keep Skuli's spirits up when his father's relentless training regiments seemed impossible to endure. His mother and grandmother are experts in the art of Northern cuisine, which produces odors that ensure few guests at the dinner table, but evidently grows the heartiest of men.

What do you look like?
A life of intense physical training has turned his impressive 280lb frame into a tower of steely sinew. His red hair and beard are kept short and uniform, as would be expected of a soldier of the world's greatest city-state. His blue eyes and bright smile keep the bar maids swooning, but his thick bones and weathered skin mark him as pure common stock (to Waterdhavian eyes). His Sentinel alter ego, Orinar the Mighty, is a copy of a Luskan mercenary that was killed on the Chult expedition. Orinar was a brave and honorable warrior who once saved Skuli's life and he hopes that, through his work with the Sentinels, the name will become famous and honor his dead friend. Orinar has long red hair and a full beard. The disguise is subtle enough to enable him to switch identities (between Skuli and Orinar) in public without attracting attention. Essentially, only his head, mithril glove and sword are affected by the Orinar projection.

What do you like and dislike?
Skuli loves life in the great city. A youth spent patrolling the many wards and keeping the peace among people of all social classes has given him a perspective of things that, perhaps, only members of the City Watch share. Having seen and caused plenty of death in his younger days, he has grown compassionate for the living, even if they happen to be on the wrong side of a battle. He doesn't care for money and possessions, living life on the edge of a sword, he knows the value of every breath.

What would you never do?
He would never betray a friend, torture (beyond standard interrogation techniques), or steal from an innocent person. When faced with bullies or thugs, his reaction can become quite severe, though he will refrain from killing anyone who doesn't pose a serious threat. The ideals of a stern, but benevolent peace keeper, have been drilled into him since birth, and he has lived long enough to understand their necessity.
What would you like to achieve in the future?
He would like to find a trustworthy group of adventurers that he can call upon when powerful beings or groups, run amok in his fair city.

Who do you love and hate?
Skuli and Cartima Ultrace, while occasional co-workers, have a heated on and off relationship, but duty leaves little time for pleasantries. Perhaps someday things will be different...
At the moment, most of the enemies of his past have come to know Lord Kelemvor personally, and those who have not, no longer pose a threat. He has a handful of friends that he grew up with, whose families are career city watch, like his own, but the duties of a Sentinel requires that he distance himself from his former life to the point where he only sees friends and family on special occasions.

How religious are you?
In his youth, he had only a passing interest in the gods, but, since joining the sentinels, he has recognized that his deepest convictions are in harmony with the temple of Tyr. His only prayer is to receive the wisdom to deliver true justice, and before going on patrol, he purifies Zantranna’s blade by cleaning it with blessed weapon oil. If someone has offended his sense of justice, but arresting them would be unreasonable, then, he might demand that they make a donation to the temple of a sum proportionate to their crime.

What are your prized possessions?
Zantranna (greatsword): One of the twin blades of Braga.
Ring of Chameleon Power: Standard issue for a Sentinel of the Watch.
Scale Mail of Retaliation's Feather: Issued by special request from Master of Arms, Helve Ultrace.
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades: A gift from Maskar Wands.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Past Adventures

A New Life Begins
    After leaving the City Watch, Skuli and Grenyar hired on as body guards for a charismatic Baldurian merchant captain, Mosler Tantin, whose recent seasonal market deliveries had left his balance sheet floundering. He needed the pair to back up his lead body guard, Orinar the Mighty, before he would dare to attempt more profitable opportunities with a variety of notorious pirates and thieves. Soon, with Orinar's guidance, the trio helped Tantin develop a reputation for being an inconvenient mark within the black market community of the Sword Coast.

The Black Lane
    One year into their partnership, a mysterious man in Athkatla hired Tantin to deliver a shipment of Scorma to a Yaun-ti named Zstulkk Ssarmn in Skullport. He dreaded the idea of entering such a place, but the payoff was much higher than he could resist. After making the delivery, Zstulkk made him an even more lucrative offer.
    "There isss a portal carved into the cavern wall, four hundred feet to the Eassst, it will take your ship to the Lapal Sssea in Chult. On the shore you will find a dozen cratesss filled with valuable ssspicesss and a well dressssed man. Take him to where ever he wishesss, and the cratesss are yoursss to sssell. Should the windsss bring you thisss way again, I may be able to offer you more of the sssame."
    Over the course of a few years, they entered the portal from Skullport to the Lapal Sea several times, but each time, the moans and cries from the slave pens on Skull Island tore at Skuli's heart and he vowed that he would live to see the day when this place is finally buried under the mountain.

The Great Expedition
    A few years later they met an old bosun in Calimport, named Quavor, who had served Tantin's father and been his own boyhood mentor. He told the tale of a cavern filled with veins of precious gems hidden by the deep jungle, only a few miles North East of the mouth of the River Tath, and so, with a hold full of Calim***** mercenaries, they set sail for Chult. There they hired a guide and a team of workers from the shanty village outside the walls of Port Nyranzaru, then set anchor near the mouth of the river and began constructing an earth and timber fort (Fort Quavor). After some turmoil, a temporary alliance was made with one of the local Batiri* goblin tribes, who led them to the cavern in exchange for steel weapons, only to find that it had become inhabited by a clan of Xuthus** ogres. They lured the Xuthus into an ambush and took control over the mouth of the cavern, but discovered that it ran much deeper than anyone was willing to explore, possibly even under the Mistcliff Mountains. For a time they held the cavern uncontested, blocked up one end, cut a pathway through the jungle and began picking out enough gems to finally turn a profit. Eventually, a Xuthus war party broke through the barrier and overran the mine. Skuli and Grenyar would have surely been amongst the many casualties that day, if it weren't for, Orinar, who sacrificed himself to the bloodthirsty horde.
    More warriors were hired, many battles were fought and control of the mine changed hands once again. During the final battle, a Xuthus warrior named Braga, legendary amongst the Batiri, was slain by the brothers and the Twin Blades of Braga*** were claimed, but the entrance of the mine was collapsed by the Xuthus shaman and the great expedition finally concluded.
    In the end, Tantin's profits were sizeable, but the blood spilled took a heavy toll on Skuli's conscience. So many young men would never return to their families. Even the Xuthus were only protecting their home. As they loaded the last crates onto the ship, he could only think about how long it would be before he could see his family again. Gren and Mosler were already discussing their next expedition when Skuli told them he would be parting ways when they reached Calimport. They didn't seem surprised until he refused his full share of the gems, only enough to get home.

* Batiri: Nomadic jungle goblins. Green skinned, larger, more intelligent and physically adept than typical northern goblins. They speak a similar dialect.
    **Xuthus: Chultan cave ogres. Grey skinned, and as with most Chultan species, superior to their northern cousins in every way.
    ***The Twin Blades of Braga, a pair of large magical swords. Equivalent to a long sword when held by a Xuthus.

A Tale of Two Swords
    At the fall of Rolidar (The ancient dwarven empire of Faerun, also known as the Empire of Shimmering Swords), Udokas Bloodbearer, an ogre king said to have bathed in the blood of Gargauth (Demipower/ former archdevil), captured the twin daughters (Zantranna & Ravatranna) of the Imperial Weaponsmith, Belril Swordsteel. He forced them to work, making him a pair of blades that would surpass all others and unite the tribes under him. They knew that Udokas planned to sacrifice them in a ritual to further empower the blades, so they poured all of their life essence into them, ultimately sacrificing themselves. The blades were much more powerful than Udokas had hoped for, making him invincible in battle (slaying many evil humanoids), and his tribe grew, until, at the battle that would have made him master of the tribes, the blades failed him, and they were claimed by a new king. And so this process continued for a thousand years, until they came into possession of Prince Braga, passed down by his father Tarmikos the Blind (ogre mage), and like all the others, they served him well. Until one fateful day, when he faced off against two young humans, Grenyar and Skuli Ketilson. The blades forsook their owner, becoming too heavy to wield and Braga was cut down. At first the swords seemed merely a trophy for the two young warriors, being too large and heavy to wield, but each night as they slept, voices from the blades sang out to them in their dreams. The songs were in dwarven, but somehow they understood. Finally, they realized that they shared the same dreams and took a closer look at the 60lb swords. They found that they had become light as a feather, but only in their hands. Over time the blades shrank in size to match their new owners, and through dream song, revealed their names and the tales of their history to the brothers, but the communication was limited to just that. Now when they sleep, sometimes they hear dwarven songs gently sung of the glorious fallen empire, and dark ones who may still lurk deep underfoot.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    A Sentinel is Born
    Five years ago, Skuli was serving as a Swordcaptain (Patrol Leader) of the City Watch, when Thyriellentha Snome, Mage Civilar - Commander of the Watch-Wizard Corps, discovered that her cousin Dandobar, likely heir to the Snome fortune and Waterdeep based distilling empire, had been replaced with a polymorphed Yaun-ti spy, it didn't take her long to extract the plot behind it. It seemed that the great Yaun-ti tribes of Chult had predicted that Sseth, their long dormant god, will awaken and restore their place as the master species of this world. In preparation for the coming war, they had been infiltrating the upper echelons of human nations for decades, but had only recently turned their focus to distant Waterdeep. An unknown number of weak but important people, mostly heirs of the truly powerful, had already been taken to Skullport, where they awaited collection by an infamous Drow slaver.
    Captain Rulathon realized that sending Force Grey into Skullport would not only risk losing Waterdeep's last and most powerful line of defense, but also risk breaking the unspoken treaty, so he chose to assign Cartima Ultrace (Priestess of Tyr) to lead a squad of sentinels to extract the young nobles quietly.
    Cartima recruited Skuli to be her guide, since he had been to Skullport in his youth and knew something of the language of Chult. Four other disguised sentinels, two watch-wizards and a drakkar manned by 40 veteran city guard marines disguised as northmen raiders rowed into Skullport.
    After locating the nobles in the Iron Ring cell compound on Skull Island, they decided to make contact with Ahmaergo "the horned dwarf", Skullport's most influential slaver boss. They told him that the Yaunti's plot would lead to open war with Waterdeep, and that the most reasonable choice of action would be for him to make his guards scarce during the raid. Realizing that the foreign powers of Yaun-ti and Drow risked only Skullport's lively hood in their gamble, he agreed and the ensuing raid was a success, though the forces of Skullport were eventually mobilized, the delay gave the liberators just enough time to execute a daring escape. When they returned to the city, each of the imposters were arrested and Swordcaptain Skuli Ketilson was offered a position with the Sentinels.
    Now he works directly for Captain Rulathan.

Wands and Daggers
    Several months ago, Skuli was assigned to help Maskar Wands investigate the murder of his youngest stepdaughter. Maskar wasn't certain what manner of beast was responsible for the gruesome act, but he suspected that it was somehow masquerading as one of the many residents of his estate. He used a wand to reduce Skuli in size so that he could take on the appearance of a fat little boy with his ring and introduced him as his nephew to the staff. Skuli discovered, that Maskar supplies the rings for the Sentinals. Three times a day, Skuli had to meet with Maskar to receive a fresh application of the wand and kept track of the time on a large hour glass in his bedroom. He was also given a magical mithril gauntlet that could conjure a dagger magically tuned to piercing the hide of any kind of creature that might appear. After several nights, Skuli was finally attacked by a devil swine* that had been posing as one of the attendants. Though he had temporarily mastered the finer points of knife fighting, and was armed with a fearsome blade, he nearly met his match due to his reduced size and strength. Maskar suspects that the beast was attempting to gain access to his laboratory, where there are a number of items that might attract such a demon.

* A shape shifter of demonic origin, often mistaken for a lycanthrope. Its natural form is that of a large and horrifying pig, but it most often attacks in its grotesque hybrid form resembling an old man with fangs, claws and devilishly pointed pig ears. More than a match for most men in single combat, it relishes in terrifying the weakest possible victim before it feeds.

More on the Sentinels of the Watch
    Sentinels typically operate alone and are not made aware of other members as they are often called upon to infiltrate dangerous organizations with the use of their rings, and any compromise of their identities could be hazardous for all involved.
    They are typically warriors, chosen based on their martial prowess, intelligence and loyalty.
    When not disguised with intent to infiltrate, they assume an alternate identity as free roaming City Watch officers, which allows them to remain useful on a daily basis while acting as a double blind, in case they have been tracked or partially identified.
    When a sentinel does require backup, he or she is typically paired up with a cleric in good standing. The cleric will not be made aware of the Sentinels true identity, unless a long term partnership is required.
    The sentinel rings bare a tiny emblem that allows them to identify each other without revealing their true identities.

As far as Skuli knows, the only people who know that Orinar is his alternate identity are Helve and Cartima Ultrace, Captain Rulathan and Maskar Wands.

The Adventure Begins
    Skuli currently resides in a safe house in the Dock Wards, three doors South of the Blackstar Inn on Gut Alley. There are a number of safe houses scattered throughout the city. Keys are assigned based on an agents objective. Sentinel protocol dictates that agents use an alternate disguise when entering from the street.

Skuli’s Family (All Warblades specialized in Iron Heart / ******* Sword)

Ketil Denalepute Grandfather Age 83 Orsar (honorary)
    Seated amongst the “honorary” Honor Guard of Captain Rulathan during official ceremonies, Ketil the Pincushion (as his last name translates) visited Waterdeep as a sailor about sixty-five years ago and decided to stay. Joining the city watch seemed the perfect fit for his natural size, ability and need to see wrongs righted. He married a carpenter’s daughter and had two sons and three daughters. Retired twenty years ago as a highly decorated Sword (Sergeant), he refused promotion numerous times, preferring to stay in the thick of things. He and his wife (Hrefna, age 75) reside in the family estate (a two story courted stone house in castle ward) with Gudrek and Svalla. Among his many tales are the time the watch rounded up of the Shadow Thieves (about 60 years ago), and how he once pulled a young officer out of a well in North Ward (about 50 years ago), who now holds the rank of Open Lord. The story of Ketil's life before Waterdeep, as told amongst the family, is a brief one. Ketil's (warblade) clan was absorbed by another when he was about fifteen years old, and by chance, he returned from fishing to find his village in smoldering ruins. He rowed a small boat to Luskan and never used his father's name again. His shipmates named him Denalepute after a battle with raiders on the Trackless Sea. Grandma Hrefna admits there is more to the story, but insists that grandpa Ketil shouldn't be asked to relive those painful memories.

Ienar Ketilson Uncle Age 61 Orsar (Envoy to The Order of Master Shipwrights)
    Several years ago Ienar was the Docks Ward Guardsword (duty head for shifts patrolling the city docks), and it was he that sent Mosler Tantin to meet with Grenyar and Skuli (Don’t tell Gudrek!). Fellow Iron Heart Warblade Orinar was secretly charged with looking after the boys, as Ienar felt that it was important for them to believe that they were truly striking out on their own. Since Skuli's return, Ienar has taken over as his coach, arranging sparring partners and preparing deadly gauntlets of rope and timber to test him a few times a month. Currently retired from patrol duties, Ienar continues to serve as the Watch's envoy to the Shipwright's guild, which, incidentally, is a great help for finding locations and materials for use in Skuli's training. Never married, he resides alone in a small villa in the Docks Ward.

Gudrek Ketilson Father Age 56 Rorden (in charge of one Castle Ward barrack)
    A driven man, Gudrek has accomplished much in his life, and is well respected by his peers. Ranked a 2nd tier drill instructor in the watch, he is responsible for turning seasoned blades, that have served at least 2 years, into deadly swords*. As a family man, Gudrek can be somewhat cold and distant, never one to show emotion, his mind is always on his job. He and his wife Svalla, have known each other most of their lives, as she is the daughter of Ketil’s best watch brother.
    * Ketilsons regard their warblade techniques as family secrets, only exchanging maneuvers with honorable warblade clans of the North on occasion.

Grenyar Ketilson Brother Age 37 Blade (Retired)
    Has not been seen by his family since Skuli parted ways with him seven years ago in Calimport.

Skuli Ketilson Age 35 Swordcaptain
    On the Castle Ward roster, assumed to be stationed within Piergeiron’s keep.
    Bio End
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    http://alleycatsgarden.com/Skuli%20with%20words2%20wm.jpg

Here is a portrait I commissioned for this character by artist Allan Youl.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Please continue, this character is excellent. I only wish I had players with as much energy and effort as you.

Stats would be nice too. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    You can view a PDF of my actual character sheet here...
    http://www.slideshare.net/tyranikus/character-sheet-10297564

My DM uses the following house rules...

-Stats are rolled 12 times (3d6, x6), then pick the best set.
    -Two handed weapons get double Str bonus to damage (instead of x1.5).
    -Since we don't use the crit confirmation rule and Warblades get a bonus to Crit Confirmation (in my case +2), I was granted a +1 to Crit, meaning attack rolls a natural 18, 19, or 20.

My DM likes a "High Magic/ Heroic" campaign, so everyone in the group is pretty well loaded with magic gear and high level contacts. Nothing wrong with that, but I must confess, I am more accustomed to "low magic/ homeless adventurer" type campaigns.

Also, the family details of the Bio has been expanded upon since my original post.