test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we kill Drizzt?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    One thing that irks me is that looking at the cleric spells/abilities in 4E, they're basically all about fire, light, dazzling and holy glory. That sort of excludes all the shadowy/cold/evil deities in the FR. Unless you wanna be one of those sharrans bathed in a pillar of light, or an aurilite setting things aflame.

As I see it, they're sort of forcing you to be a champion of good, but how does that fit together with a plethora of evil-ish player races, such as tieflings and drow? I don't know, I'm really not seeing the internal consistency here, but maybe I'm just searching for one, when there is none.
    edited June 2011
    Aurilandur wrote: »
    One thing that irks me is that looking at the cleric spells/abilities in 4E, they're basically all about fire, light, dazzling and holy glory. That sort of excludes all the shadowy/cold/evil deities in the FR. Unless you wanna be one of those sharrans bathed in a pillar of light, or an aurilite setting things aflame.

As I see it, they're sort of forcing you to be a champion of good, but how does that fit together with a plethora of evil-ish player races, such as tieflings and drow? I don't know, I'm really not seeing the internal consistency here, but maybe I'm just searching for one, when there is none.
    Heroes of Shadow has a lot of dark powers for clerics, and for paladins for that matter.
    edited June 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    Heroes of Shadow has a lot of dark powers for clerics, and for paladins for that matter.

But the question is, will it be featured in this game, or will they stick to generic clerics, as was hinted at? Well, I'm not going to cry doom yet, we'll have to wait and see. I just don't see a place for evil pc's what with no (significant) alignment, no pvp and no (or "optional")deities.
    edited June 2011
    But the question is, will it be featured in this game, or will they stick to generic clerics, as was hinted at? Well, I'm not going to cry doom yet, we'll have to wait and see. I just don't see a place for evil pc's what with no (significant) alignment, no pvp and no (or "optional")deities.

I wager core content is focused on heroic parties anyway. I think we will be seeing most "evil" stuff in player made content. Even then it will most likely be relatively tame "evil" because of content ratings. I.e. no slaughtering crippled and children for example or anything that is not "politically correct" (though in all honestly I prefer it that way).
    edited June 2011
    I.e. no slaughtering crippled and children for example or anything that is not "politically correct".

.. That statement managed to appall and amuse me at the same time.

I'm totally not hinting at that in my posts, I was referring to the fact that if game mechanics only support the heroic pathways, will we all be playing PCs vs. the NPCs? Quite frankly, I find that a bit dull. It works in a 1 person game with elaborate storylines, like the 2 original NWN games, but it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a co-op online RPG game, I believe.

If we're all going to kill the undead/foil the plans of the lich/defeat the rampaging orcs, that will result in a very one sided dynamic, whereas interplayer conflicts, where some people work for one goal, while other people work for preventing that same goal - now there you have stuff for hours and hours of good RP fun.

But again, judging from the dev interviews (no deities, very little alignment, no factions), it seems like they're planning on missing out on that opportunity, and go with the usual "players vs. the machine" concept, which kind of surprises me.
    edited June 2011
    .. That statement managed to appall and amuse me at the same time.

I'm totally not hinting at that in my posts, I was referring to the fact that if game mechanics only support the heroic pathways, will we all be playing PCs vs. the NPCs? Quite frankly, I find that a bit dull. It works in a 1 person game with elaborate storylines, like the 2 original NWN games, but it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a co-op online RPG game, I believe.

If we're all going to kill the undead/foil the plans of the lich/defeat the rampaging orcs, that will result in a very one sided dynamic, whereas interplayer conflicts, where some people work for one goal, while other people work for preventing that same goal - now there you have stuff for hours and hours of good RP fun.

But again, judging from the dev interviews (no deities, very little alignment, no factions), it seems like they're planning on missing out on that opportunity, and go with the usual "players vs. the machine" concept, which kind of surprises me.
    You seem to talk of a "PvP co-op game". While the game seems oriented to "play adventures in co-op with other players". I suppose that all those RP guilds in MMOs that do not do PvP must not be having so many hours of good RP fun. ;)

There are deities. If Cryptic is trying to adapt 4E as close as possible, they will go the PHB way (I cannot talk about Essentials, sorry). It only affects the characters from a powers point of view. The roleplaying about them is the same as always (except, I repeat, the powers stuff).
    edited June 2011
    Wintersong wrote:
    You seem to talk of a "PvP co-op game". While the game seems oriented to "play adventures in co-op with other players". I suppose that all those RP guilds in MMOs that do not do PvP must not be having so many hours of good RP fun. ;)

RP fun doesn't necessarily contain pvp. I'm not a huge pvp fan. But - RP fun does contain some kind of interplayer dynamics/faction competition. What else would you use your gaming time doing? Running through even more modules killing even more goblins, saving even more elven maidens in distress? I don't know, but I suspect that I'll be bored doing that pretty soon, especially if the environment isn't going to be DM controlled, but only some kind of static AI controlled pre-determined modules.
    edited June 2011
    RP fun doesn't necessarily contain pvp. I'm not a huge pvp fan. But - RP fun does contain some kind of interplayer dynamics/faction competition. What else would you use your gaming time doing? Running through even more modules killing even more goblins, saving even more elven maidens in distress? I don't know, but I suspect that I'll be bored doing that pretty soon, especially if the environment isn't going to be DM controlled, but only some kind of static AI controlled pre-determined modules.
    That is something that only Cryptic can answer. My limited knowledge goes for "co-op campaign and user made co-op adventures". Beyond that, it will depend in what Cryptic is allowed to do and what they think that could be needed.
    edited June 2011
    Well, if there is some mind control spell that changes your status to enemy, if there was some scripting in NWO, then there probably would be a way to make a player "an enemy" or am I wrong? I have no idea about scripting :P
    edited June 2011
    Auril, while I agree that battling the same AI over and over again has the potential to grow dull over time, I think you're oversimplifying the nature of the content we will see come out of the community. Will there be cliche, rats-in-the-basement content? Absolutely. But peppered in there with the rest will be some truly amazing storytelling, well designed challenges, and overall very engaging gameplay, with folks continuously surprising us with what they can do. At least that's my belief, and something I felt has been evident in all the years of single-player, nonDM content churned out with NWN and NWN2. And I think it comes down, in part, to us in the community to praise, educate, constructively critique, and otherwise encourage the development of that quality content.
    edited June 2011
    Qumi wrote: »
    Well, if there is some mind control spell that changes your status to enemy, if there was some scripting in NWO, then there probably would be a way to make a player "an enemy" or am I wrong? I have no idea about scripting :P

Qumi, that's absolutely something that can be scripted, and has been scripted in many games. The problem is that it is very rarely implemented well, and is typically viewed as anything from an intolerable annoyance to a tool for griefing other players.
    edited June 2011
    Are off topic posts allowed here? Seems the thread was hijacked.
    edited June 2011
    OniDaimyo wrote: »
    Are off topic posts allowed here? Seems the thread was hijacked.

Just be thankful that your original post, which was silly and without much merit, was turned into a substantial discussion regardless.
    edited June 2011
    Not really. Hijacking is hijacking. And silly threads aren't allowed? It still has to do with the game and Drizzt IS annoying to many. He IS alive at this period of time so it stands to reason he could possibly be encountered and killed so actually asking if we can kill him isn't so silly now is it? ;)
    edited June 2011
    Not really. Hijacking is hijacking. And silly threads aren't allowed? It still has to do with the game and Drizzt IS annoying to many. He IS alive at this period of time so it stands to reason he could possibly be encountered and killed so actually asking if we can kill him isn't so silly now is it? ;)

I think you are assuming too much. There hasn't been any splash screens on websites or cameos in the Neverwinter trailer with Drizzt.
    edited June 2011
    SabreHawk wrote: »
    I think you are assuming too much. There hasn't been any splash screens on websites or cameos in the Neverwinter trailer with Drizzt.

Drizzt is the main character of the story they are basing this game on. Gauntlygrim. So actually its a safe bet he may show up.
    edited June 2011
    Drizzt is the main character of the story they are basing this game on. Gauntlygrim. So actually its a safe bet he may show up.

Dead is better than alive:D
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I know. He'll be twinked to the max I'm sure and since it's not single player I can't do the same.

I doubt it. I have all of the Forgotten Realms books, including Novels, and there's been full write-ups of Drizzt. He's not terribly impressive, so I doubt he'd be twinked out too bad. What makes Drizzt such a tough combatant is not his stats. It's his strategies, intelligence, and most of all, the allies he surrounds himself with. To fight Drizzt also means to fight Bruenor Battlehammer, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar and Regis. Good luck with that.
    edited June 2011
    To fight Drizzt also means to fight Bruenor Battlehammer, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar and Regis. Good luck with that.
    *Guenhwyvar roars*
    edited June 2011
    wrote:
    Hmmmm... you know, actually the interview doesn't say you will not select a deity in the character creation, it says that such a choice is a RP choice, that clerics will have general powers.

Plus, in 4 ed a deity has like 1-2 specific powers for a cleric that worships it. So I don't see that as necessary at the launch. They work like feats. You have to take a feat to have a deity specific power.
    I'll just worship Hillbilly Jim.
    edited June 2011
    I doubt it. I have all of the Forgotten Realms books, including Novels, and there's been full write-ups of Drizzt. He's not terribly impressive, so I doubt he'd be twinked out too bad. What makes Drizzt such a tough combatant is not his stats. It's his strategies, intelligence, and most of all, the allies he surrounds himself with. To fight Drizzt also means to fight Bruenor Battlehammer, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar and Regis. Good luck with that.

Except that Cattie-Brie and Wulfgar and Regis are DEAD. It's many many years after the books. Cattie Brie and Wulfar are human. They don't live that long. Nor do halflings. Sorry but your wrong. It pays to actually pay attention to the storylines going on. It's just Drizzt and Bruener now. So you were saying?
    edited June 2011
    Ebonsteel wrote:
    I'll just worship Hillbilly Jim.

That is Win.
    edited June 2011
    Except that Cattie-Brie and Wulfgar and Regis are DEAD. It's many many years after the books. Cattie Brie and Wulfar are human. They don't live that long. Nor do halflings. Sorry but your wrong. It pays to actually pay attention to the storylines going on. It's just Drizzt and Bruener now. So you were saying?

Ummm, you may need to read the latest book before you stand on it being Drizzt and Bruenor. ;)
    edited June 2011
    RazorrX wrote: »
    Ummm, you may need to read the latest book before you stand on it being Drizzt and Bruenor. ;)

Sigh, yes and Jarlaxle and others. My point was his original crew is dead. I'm still right. Wolfgar, Cattie-brie and Regis were mentioned. They are dead now. It's at least 100 years or so afterwards the last book.
    edited June 2011
    Sigh, yes and Jarlaxle and others. My point was his original crew is dead. I'm still right. Wolfgar, Cattie-brie and Regis were mentioned. They are dead now. It's at least 100 years or so afterwards the last book.

No I meant something different than that, have you read the book? I do not wish to put spoilers in here.
    edited June 2011
    RazorrX wrote: »
    No I meant something different than that, have you read the book? I do not wish to put spoilers in here.

He can't answer, he sort of got banned for being a pain in the rear =)
    edited June 2011

:) Then nevermind. :)
    edited June 2011

Not really. Cute though how everyone else was trolling and he got banned for a while. Also cute that disagreeing with others is considered trolling. And isn't discussing moderator actions against forum rules? :rolleyes:
    edited June 2011
    Not really. Cute though how everyone else was trolling and he got banned for a while. Also cute that disagreeing with others is considered trolling. And isn't discussing moderator actions against forum rules? :rolleyes:

1: Not "discussing" mod actions. Merely giving info to a person asking a question of a person who was banned. If anyone, you're the one starting a discussion on the decision.

2: You think everyone else was trolling? Fine, your oppinion, clearly the mods disagree, since he was banned, not me/us/them (who do you mean by "everyone" anyway?)

3: Clearly we have the potential for another unconstructive and irrelevant flame-war brewing, which I am not going to participate in. Therefore, Aurilandur is signing out from this thread.
    edited June 2011
    1: Not "discussing" mod actions. Merely giving info to a person asking a question of a person who was banned. If anyone, you're the one starting a discussion on the decision.

2: You think everyone else was trolling? Fine, your oppinion, clearly the mods disagree, since he was banned, not me/us/them (who do you mean by "everyone" anyway?)

3: Clearly we have the potential for another unconstructive and irrelevant flame-war brewing, which I am not going to participate in. Therefore, Aurilandur is signing out from this thread.

1. Guess that's up to the mods and its obvious you are indeed. How else would you know he was banned? Which a mod shouldn't share with users anyway. So it seems the mods are breaking their own rules. Not surprised.

2. It's clear they were, its just cute that the first person to report others OR the person with the unpopular view point is the one trolling.

3. Which is what people like you should have done in the first place. It's called IGNORE.