Install Arc
Options

Friendly fire... yes or no?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    Plus, many AoE damage spells can be disabled in social areas.

All spells should be disabled in social areas anyway. Even beneficial spells can be annoying lightshows when people spam them. Besides I doubt they carry over to dungeons. It just wouldn't make sense.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    All spells should be disabled in social areas anyway.
    No.

Unless you want the wrath of the RP community for being that one guy who didn't want any abilities to work in town...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Now when you are talking about friendly fire you are just talking about AOE's?

If I was a rogue in a party and the mage in the party kept hitting me with a fireball every time he cast it even though he knew beforehand what I was going to do.

What would stop me from walking up behind him and stabbing him in the back? If FF is turned on that means you may attack other party members.

I am all for FF. But you can't have it both ways. Either we can attack other members or we can't.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No.

Unless you want the wrath of the RP community for being that one guy who didn't want any abilities to work in town...

I don't see what's the point in all honesty. I mean obviously those spells would not have any effect on players. At least not the offensive ones. If it comes down to roleplaying I think "flashy gfx" stuff is better handled by emotes accompanied by some gfx. I want my "juggling fireballs" emote anyways. :)

/emote blesses Darren_Kitlor
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Who said that the center of the city will be quest-free? Some spells, like rituals, are good for social interaction.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No.

As a member of the RP community wherever I play, I prefer not letting people spaz out with the fireworks everywhere. Unless doing so brings the city watch down on you.

As long as they let social areas be created in the Foundry, pyrotechnic parties can be had off in places where only those who actually want to participate have to be subjected to it.
    Now when you are talking about friendly fire you are just talking about AOE's?

I am all for FF. But you can't have it both ways. Either we can attack other members or we can't.

I had not thought about this before, but find it compelling. Splash FF allows potentially one-sided open PvP, so I'm now even more strongly opposed to FF being stuck to on.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just to throw in my vote....NO simplely because of greivers. I'll accept that say epic level or an optional feature will enable FF but not an inherent mechanic. The question though is whether programming will make it a pita and bug filled...say lag which a toon appears to be out of the area to the caster but due to lag on ones part the game registers the toon in the area of effect and gets insta killed.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not advocating this, but this is where the talk brought me... A "friendly fire" scale:
    1. (default) no friendly fire
    2. friendly fire, with rules:
      • FF can only happen from attacks targeting an enemy, not from attacks that can be placed on ground
      • Non-AoE FF (e.g. arrows) can only hit friendly targets in a narrow arc (say 45 degrees), and only if the attack misses the intended target.
    3. party members can attack each other :eek:
    The party as a whole would have the FF level of the lowest setting in the party - so option 3 would only happen if all party members consented. Again, not saying this is a good idea, just figued I'd throw it out there to stir the pot a bit. ;)

(Don't know about the rest of you, but the potential for FFA made for some good dramatic tension in the mixed PnP groups I ran with...)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    To be honest I am not a fan of friendly fire, but I can understand while people might want it. So, I am all for it as long as powers are disabled in social areas.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm all for it if I can stab someone in the back that continues to kill me with FF because they do not pay attention to their surroundings.

Otherwise. get rid of it. It will cause way more problems than it is worth for the realism.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Friendly fire would work as a group mechanic to keep a group honest. However i would recommend for every 10 hp damage to friendlies you lose 3 levels.:D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kolikos wrote:
    I'm not advocating this, but this is where the talk brought me... A "friendly fire" scale:
    1. (default) no friendly fire
    2. friendly fire, with rules:
      • FF can only happen from attacks targeting an enemy, not from attacks that can be placed on ground
      • Non-AoE FF (e.g. arrows) can only hit friendly targets in a narrow arc (say 45 degrees), and only if the attack misses the intended target.
    3. party members can attack each other :eek:
    The party as a whole would have the FF level of the lowest setting in the party - so option 3 would only happen if all party members consented. Again, not saying this is a good idea, just figued I'd throw it out there to stir the pot a bit. ;)

(Don't know about the rest of you, but the potential for FFA made for some good dramatic tension in the mixed PnP groups I ran with...)

If the Neverwinter allows horizontal movement as well as vertical, I would like to know how the targeting system will work to allow people to target nothing.

I can't see how friendly fire can work. Normally you place the fireball or whatever far enough back so it doesn't hit the fighter going toe to toe with the monsters in the front line, while nuking the said monster. But how will Neverwinter let you select that ideal location?

I can just see this causing the game to be an unmanageable mess. Tickets will flood in with reports on griefers. GMs will spend all their time trying to establish if someone is intentionally griefing rather than helping those that actually need help.

I'd strongly go with a no for Friendly Fire in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    fullbore wrote: »
    If the Neverwinter allows horizontal movement as well as vertical, I would like to know how the targeting system will work to allow people to target nothing.

I can't see how friendly fire can work. Normally you place the fireball or whatever far enough back so it doesn't hit the fighter going toe to toe with the monsters in the front line, while nuking the said monster. But how will Neverwinter let you select that ideal location?
    [...]

STO will introduce a way to target ground with the new season. So the engine at least allows it to target "nothing".
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vampir888 wrote: »
    STO will introduce a way to target ground with the new season. So the engine at least allows it to target "nothing".

This is simple, take a cue from WoW and make a ring target area appear on the ground, anything inside that ring gets hit.

However, I still say a permanent friendly fire setting would not be wise.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think that there is no fun without friendly fire. It makes that game is more realistic. I spent a lot of time playing on one of NWN servers and it was role playing. So there everything had to be as much realistic as possible. But of course there is simple spolution for those who do not favor the friendly fire. Just make a difficulty bar just like in NWN. And there you could set up the difficulty and friendly fire.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think that there is no fun without friendly fire. It makes that game is more realistic. I spent a lot of time playing on one of NWN servers and it was role playing. So there everything had to be as much realistic as possible. But of course there is simple solution for those who do not favor the friendly fire. Just make a difficulty bar just like in NWN. And there you could set up the difficulty and friendly fire.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes well since we will all be playing on their servers I guess they will set the difficulty slider for us. Perhaps ugc modules could be set up to allow for PVP and friendly fire, but if they are they would need to expressly state that these settings are being used so that I and the rest of us who would prefer not to suffer the vagaries of trigger happy party members, or bullies who need to beat on their companions, can avoid them.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In NWN1 there was info in the log that you are in Full PvP area and etc. So there could be such info. There is also a different solution. In NWN1 when creating areas you were able to make this and that area Full PvP or turn it off. So maybe the will make some areas where PvP will work. So if you'll be looking for some "strong action" you can go there if not - just avoid the area.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Qbiak wrote: »
    In NWN1 there was info in the log that you are in Full PvP area and etc. So there could be such info. There is also a different solution. In NWN1 when creating areas you were able to make this and that area Full PvP or turn it off. So maybe the will make some areas where PvP will work. So if you'll be looking for some "strong action" you can go there if not - just avoid the area.

What your proposing is making certain content unavailable to the majority of the palyerbase and doesn't approach the issue at hand with FF. Many don't have a problem with FF in general...it's the palyers who would greive others by it, hell just look at EVE. Your suggestion is in line of making a PvP zone, which just make it like in DDO where there are "Tavern Brawls" areas. Course an Arena PvP system would be nice having 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 or whatever floats your boat.

The suggestion of the party leader or at certain difficulty like Epic in DDO many are fine with, just not an inherent feature, has been the most sound way to incorperate FF from my opinion.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Agreed with friendly fire as an OPTION for those who want it. NOT AGREED for it to be in all areas automatically.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    As a option yes.

Required? That is just a nice way of saying forced...um and.. No!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is a tough one. Were this a turn based game, like D&D, I'd be all for friendly fire. It's built into the tabletop version with incentives built into some feats. However I could see friendly fire being a real point of aggravation given the real time aspect of this game.

I'm imagining not only friendly fire damage due to lack of communication, but also due to lag issues.

I really can't make a informed opinion on this until I experience it in the game, though. Which can be said for many of the issues we're talking about. ;)