test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Friendly fire... yes or no?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
As I just read there is currently no friendly fire in NW. But it looks like it might still be possible to change this. So... let's help them to decide to introduce friendly fire. :D

Really I loved my devastating fireballs killing friend and foe alike. I mean I told that dumb Fighter to wait. :p But I can also see the problems in an online game. To coordinate a team getting not hit by an AoE attack is much harder than in a PnP environment. On the other hand shouldn't there be a danger so you don't just use your powers without thinking? Shouldn't there be some kind of drawback? Even if a friendly AoE would do only 50% dmg it would be fine for me but if there were no friendly fire at all I think I would miss something. Maybe it would also be a solution to use friendly fire only with certain powers and not all of them.

Anyway... what do you think? Should there be friendly fire? And if yes how should it be implemented?

Source
OPG: Magic in the older games had an area of effect and anyone within that area of effect usually got hurt as much as the enemy. Will friendly fire be possible with Area of Effect Spells and Objects?

Jack: Currently, no, but it’s interesting because that idea just came up internally!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Vampir888 wrote: »
    As I just read there is currently no friendly fire in NW. But it looks like it might still be possible to change this. So... let's help them to decide to introduce friendly fire. :D

Really I loved my devastating fireballs killing friend and foe alike. I mean I told that dumb Fighter to wait. :p But I can also see the problems in an online game. To coordinate a team getting not hit by an AoE attack is much harder than in a PnP environment. On the other hand shouldn't there be a danger so you don't just use your powers without thinking? Shouldn't there be some kind of drawback? Even if a friendly AoE would do only 50% dmg it would be fine for me but if there were no friendly fire at all I think I would miss something. Maybe it would also be a solution to use friendly fire only with certain powers and not all of them.

Anyway... what do you think? Should there be friendly fire? And if yes how should it be implemented?

Source

It should not be implimented. In a non pvp oriented game, there will be some who will just want to grief. Imagine going a good distance into a quest and then your mage just fireballs everyone (maybe even including himself) to death, or the warrior using a spinning axe attack while standing next to your cleric. This would happen 40000 times a day.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Griefers... good point. Didn't think of that. So maybe as a group option where you can turn it on and off? If you are around with friends you can turn it on and if you play with unknown people you turn it off.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vampir888 wrote: »
    Griefers... good point. Didn't think of that. So maybe as a group option where you can turn it on and off? If you are around with friends you can turn it on and if you play with unknown people you turn it off.

That would be better.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    An interesting idea.

Griefers are definitely a reason not to implement. But by inclusion it could possibly make the game more strategic ... or just make it an unmanageable mess.

It could possibly also alienate certain builds from PUGs (not everyone has 4 mates to team up with). Some other negatives;
    Real Time combat makes combat much more fluid, meaning you would be more likely to accidently nuke your companions.
    Implementing code to allow you to target ranged effects on nothing would be a nightmare and near impossible to implement, especially if Neverwinter includes for flying creatures. Think of the issues with Teleport in City of Heroes. You either teleported the full distance or teleported to something that blocked your progress. You couldn't pick a spot in between.

For all the added depth it could/may bring to combat, I would opt for a no as I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If Friendly Fire was a switch I could toggle depending on my group and mood, I'd be fine with it in game. More options is always fun, after all. But if it were something that were always in effect I'd have to vote that sucker down so fast I'd be able to get a second vote in before the first registered.

I'm all for tactics, but Friendly Fire just proves to be too much of a hassle. Try doing any sort of PvP in Fallen Earth and you'll see what I mean!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    While friendly fire may be a lot of fun, it also can make some battles incredibly hard. Why not doing it as a part of difficulty slider like difficulty option in STO?

But I agree with most, not as constant.

I believe I'm a good player, but I rarely use higher difficulties in STO, because I have old and cranky computer and I know it may get me frustrated if mouse don't do exactly what I want during the tough battle.

So I vote for switch!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i hate friendly fire, so if its there it had better be a toggle that the party leader picks.

even then id personally rather not see it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    While friendly fire may be a lot of fun, it also can make some battles incredibly hard. Why not doing it as a part of difficulty slider like difficulty option in STO?

that's a good idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Friendly fire isn't.

Tabletop RPGs usually have some sort of friendly fire mechanic or another, whether they are strongly rooted in tactical positioning like D&D or more based on narrative craziness like Exalted. This works because there is a reasonable expectation of the players working together to avoid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> each other over. When someone starts being a jackass with their splash effects, there are usually social repercussions, be it relentless noogies, ostracism, or expulsion from the group.

In MMOs, by contrast, the much more fluid assosciation between players would let a griefer interfere with a lot of people before being shut down, if ever. In an MMO, friendly fire is basically open PvP.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    just make a hardcore mode, fireballs are supposed to be dangerous to everyone, I cant stand sissys, just group with people you know.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In 4E, area of effect powers usually are tagged 'enemy only' or 'all targets'

I dont see a real problem with having some encounter, or especially daily powers that you have to target a bit more carefully.

These are not 'spammable' like at will powers, so you would have a reasonable chance to target the area powers.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes if it's setting that can be enabled or disabled in adventuring areas as determined by the creator. So for example content creators can enabled or disable friendly fire.

As to griefing. I got the impression combat content is restricted to instanced areas because of the CO-OP nature of the game. If these adventuring areas are anything like in GW you can only bring a small team to such areas, so opportunities for griefing can only come from your own party of five (or whatever ends up being the limit). Easily solved by team leader booting the offending person.

Obviously this should be permanently off in any public area.

On a side note: I'd like to see ability for content creators to create social hub instances that allow larger groups to mingle by flagging them "non-adventuring areas". Obviously the game supports this already for official hub areas.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Let people creating content in the foundry decide if their content has FF enabled or not - no need to make a universal decision for all players/content. (They can of course decide for the Cryptic made content). Solves the problem, and lets people who want to play that way create maps that allow it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ive always loved the idea of FF, but ofcourse thier wilol be problems, so make it were the leader can turn it on or off, but even in a good group of friends i could see some on lossing a body limb :o and i think thats great..
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I believe in choice. I think it should be a check box the party leader can check or uncheck upon entering an instance. I also think the XP rewards should be higher if you play on this mode.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    kalidor wrote: »
    I believe in choice. I think it should be a check box the party leader can check or uncheck upon entering an instance. I also think the XP rewards should be higher if you play on this mode.

The best idea;)
    A greater reward for a more dangerous instance shall be great
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Friendly Fire absolutely! But as a flag as part of area/quest not the party.

griefing is only a problem in pure MMOGs - if parties go on limited quests where they are exclusive to the area, FF should be an option for area difficulty.

Have a flag on an area was how it worked in NWN1 and if you didn't like it you didn't have to play those mods.

FF and PvP in general would be turned off in community areas and make hunting areas have an option for FF and even PvP.

I would love to have the option to build my areas.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    malakili wrote: »
    Let people creating content in the foundry decide if their content has FF enabled or not - no need to make a universal decision for all players/content. (They can of course decide for the Cryptic made content). Solves the problem, and lets people who want to play that way create maps that allow it.

This^ is probably one of the best idea's on this matter I've seen so far.

Personally, I don't like FF because it tends to be problematic in real time games. It's something that's more applicable to the turn based combat used in PnP games, since you have time to think on strategy and RP shouting a warning to other characters before you shoot a Fireball and such. In real time things move too fast for you to type out your warning and take your time moving your cursor to just the right spot to target your spell/power correctly.

Still, some content creators might want to have the option for certain maps, or when making Persistent worlds with a particular flavor. So perhaps the option should be up to the content creator or DM, which I believe is the way it was done in NWN1.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've always been a huge fan of FF.

To me part of playing a Mage is playing the tactics. Is having to be the guy in the back being more strategic. When you take it away, all you have is a big cluster in the middle with people slapping down explosions as fast as they can.

Also remember, FF for us, means FF for the monsters too. I enjoy closing in on enemies to keep them from using their area attacks, or atleast making them pay for it when they do.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just put FF on in group instances. Then the only possible griefers are in your own party, and you can kick them (I would also assume they would be exported from the instance at that point).

The only problem I ever found with FF in NWN1/2was trying to keep NPCs from doing dumb things.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    From what i understand, this game will be pretty similar to guild wars, where players amass in a central town and leave on their own or in a small group to dungeon delve, or adventure. That being said, I personally would like to see friendly fire, maybe as a player chosen "difficulty level" if you will. I've got a close group of friends I'm encouraging to pick up this game so I can DM with video graphics as opposed to inanimate figurines.
    I understand how this could easily cause problems with some players, but it would add another level of complexity and thought to the game. I can think of quite a few games i've played that would be a LOT more complicated with the realism of friendly fire, and to me, it would be an exciting option for the players to use.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If this is true to 4e then friendly fire has to be in. Specifically because powers (mostly burst daily or encounter) could have "All targets in burst" which can include your friends.

If its not then I would hope those powers are not available. Occupational hazard of being in an area burst effect from a wizard with an all targets attack. And sometimes in 4e you actually do it to help your allies.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    zedcuk wrote: »
    If this is true to 4e then friendly fire has to be in. Specifically because powers (mostly burst daily or encounter) could have "All targets in burst" which can include your friends.

If its not then I would hope those powers are not available. Occupational hazard of being in an area burst effect from a wizard with an all targets attack. And sometimes in 4e you actually do it to help your allies.

Unfortunately, sometimes the considerations of the medium (imprecise positioning, cat-herding AI, and griefers) sometimes have to take precedence.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    zedcuk wrote: »

I agree that friendly fire is a big part of the 4e but that been said it's way easier to avoid friendly fire when it's on a tabletop grid and turn based in which you have time to think of a way to avoid nuking your allies. But in a real time action video game, which the dev stated it would be, friendly fire will happen way more often and can get quite frustrating for players grouping with someone who doesn't do it intentionally but do it a bit too often.

I can't say if I want friendly fire to be or not, it really depends of the gameplay they are aiming for, which we have unfortunately no information yet =(
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We're in five person teams in largely private instances.

Of course friendly fire should be added.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Friendly fire - yes! Especially since most abilities work only against enemies. Only a few work on all, this would add a depth of strategy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ausric_qc wrote: »
    I agree that friendly fire is a big part of the 4e but that been said it's way easier to avoid friendly fire when it's on a tabletop grid and turn based in which you have time to think of a way to avoid nuking your allies. But in a real time action video game, which the dev stated it would be, friendly fire will happen way more often and can get quite frustrating for players grouping with someone who doesn't do it intentionally but do it a bit too often.

This^

...is why I don't entirely like FF mechanic. In a PnP session where combat is turn based and players can take their sweet time deciding which powers to use and how, with no chance of them clicking on the wrong spot on the screen and such, it is FAR easier to use area effect powers that can have FF effects effectively without hitting your allies than it is in a real time combat game.
    Ausric_qc wrote: »
    I can't say if I want friendly fire to be or not, it really depends of the gameplay they are aiming for, which we have unfortunately no information yet =(

But this^ is also something to consider, which is why I'd support a FF mechanic that can be set by the DM or the person creating the maps, etc. That way you can set FF mechanics when applicable, if that's what you want for your game.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We're in five person teams in largely private instances.

Of course friendly fire should be added.

this^

since fortunately the quests/areas will be limited it can be an option for difficulty. Its not like players are going to run past us to grab the loot - I think MMOG's have solved that problem a while ago.

In a co-op game it requires a lot more thought on the part of the players. We're not talking about the chaos of Magicka where chain lightning your teammates is part of the fun, nor the PvP that's so essential to the fun of Paranoia.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    As an option for groups of players who want a more intense experience, sure. In general, no. Far too easy to grief, or just cause problems in general.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    this^

since fortunately the quests/areas will be limited it can be an option for difficulty. Its not like players are going to run past us to grab the loot - I think MMOG's have solved that problem a while ago.

In a co-op game it requires a lot more thought on the part of the players. We're not talking about the chaos of Magicka where chain lightning your teammates is part of the fun, nor the PvP that's so essential to the fun of Paranoia.
    Plus, many AoE damage spells can be disabled in social areas.