Install Arc
Options

Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,245 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    cssec said:

I don't think server redundancy could have solved this particular problem. The server was not down for a long time until they decided to bring it down late Thursday. The problem started more or less on Wednesday. I personally did not have problem until Thursday morning.

percemer said:

Good morning!

As our Executive Producer said, we apologize for the unexpected Neverwinter PC downtime and issues. There was a significant internal server issues affecting most of Cryptic's games,

Yeah, according to the man it is ....
    Internal server issue does not mean "server redundancy" can help especially when the server was not down and serving when the problem appeared. If the game client in one's PC did not get that game-wide problematic patch, one could still play the game. I did not get the patch until Thursday morning. Hence, I was playing when the 'world' were complaining.

The redundant server could have this issue redundantly.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    csseccssec Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User

Internal server issue does not mean "server redundancy" can help especially when the server was not down and serving when the problem appeared. Without getting that game-wide problematic patch, one could still play the game. The redundant server could have this issue redundantly.

lol,
    By providing additional resources that can be deployed in the event of disasters and failure, server redundancy also addresses resilience.

Many redundant servers come with real-time system monitoring features. They can constantly scan your primary server cluster for problems and possible failure. With real-time monitoring, your IT team can prevent potential failures before they happen and maintain the health of your servers.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cssec said:

Internal server issue does not mean "server redundancy" can help especially when the server was not down and serving when the problem appeared. Without getting that game-wide problematic patch, one could still play the game. The redundant server could have this issue redundantly.

lol,
    By providing additional resources that can be deployed in the event of disasters and failure, server redundancy also addresses resilience.

Many redundant servers come with real-time system monitoring features. They can constantly scan your primary server cluster for problems and possible failure. With real-time monitoring, your IT team can prevent potential failures before they happen and maintain the health of your servers.
    The failure is caused by your game client getting that patch which was taunted (I suspect it missed quite a few important dll) and it affected many games. If they deployed a bad patch to its patch server, the 'redundant' patch server would have the same bad patch.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    sanjuro#8646 sanjuro Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    What about the lost VIP???
  • Options

The failure is caused by your game client getting that patch which was taunted (I suspect it missed quite a few important dll) and it affected many games. If they deployed a bad patch to its patch server, the 'redundant' patch server would have the same bad patch.

Then it was just a case of rolling back the bad code and restoring the game client with updated "important dll's"
    Please tell me how did the bad patch got released according to you, was it not tested before release?

• Options
    edited April 2023
    cssec said:

Then it was just a case of rolling back the bad code and restoring the game client with updated "important dll's"
    Please tell me how did the bad patch got released according to you, was it not tested before release?

I suspect the patch was an accident. I suspect it is something for another game but somehow populated to NW and STO and may be others unintentionally. The NW patch for Tuesday had no problem. Somehow, a patch without announcement happened on Wednesday and that caused the problem. Since I never logout of the game (unless by external situation), I did not get the patch. Hence, I was playing from Wednesday night to Thursday morning. However, when I woke up the next morning, the game crashed. When I login again, the patch was applied.

Did they test before release? Well, this has been the questions for years but I suspect it is not relevant this time.
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    As there is the customary lack of communication, we can only assume what is going on. But I agree that it looks like a software issue since it got introduced by a patch and part of the machines were able to work with it anyway.

The scary part is that they apparently still did not manage to find any passable build as a temporary solution. Just what was in the code and for how long?
  • Options

Patching a huge one very slowly..
  • Options
    nozoidbergnozoidberg Member Posts: 3 Arc User

Hmm. Sorry, my cent, here..

I seriously don't understand why primary you decide problem with servers?
    In "first micro-patch" of April 6 (as already correctly some say at beginning this topic) several .dll from [x64] directory were changed.
    This`s done either when Game engine change, or just someone unauthorizedly add`ed miner or something like. Servers were down a day later already after the fact..

• Options
    edited April 2023

In "first micro-patch" of April 6 (as already correctly some say at beginning this topic) several .dll from [x64] directory were changed.
    This`s done either when Game engine change, or just someone unauthorizedly add`ed miner or something like. Servers were down a day later already after the fact..

If you mean what 'percemer' said (instead of 'prmiary'), he only said it was an "internal server issue". If the patch server spread out bad patch because of some kind of 'internal' configuration/setup/softlink/hardlink/etc issues in the patch server, one can still consider that as 'internal server issue'.
  • Options

Yeah, and bad hardware cannot affect the software? lol.

• Options
    midilamidila Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    We can only recklessly speculate what the problem is. But 2 things are very clear.

1. They don't have a remote clue in the closet what they are doing. Kids playing with grown up toys.
    2. They don't have any idea what Quality Control means.
  • Options
    horizonxaelhorizonxael Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    what a shame this game has become a laughing stock never seen such a thing in my life
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    This thread is better than PE. The rage is real.

Relax people. They are just pixels.

In all seriousness this seems to be more than just a simple bug. I suspect hardware failure or ransomware.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Well, after some back and forth patching the NWO client seems to be functioning again, now it's time to fix the servers and bring them back online...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    ph33rm3 said:

This thread is better than PE. The rage is real.

Relax people. They are just pixels.

In all seriousness this seems to be more than just a simple bug. I suspect hardware failure or ransomware.

If it is ransomware, we now need to worry about if it spread to us.
  • Options
    Finally, in game to claim my VIP key.
  • Options
    midilamidila Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Servers are up. In the game.
  • Options
    my compensation my lost key?
  • Options
    generalbeogeneralbeo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10 Arc User

They offer you to buy Zen to get extra Zen, thats the compensation
  • Options
    dandelionboy#6023 dandelionboy Member Posts: 7 Arc User

you get 4 keys, 300k AD and 7 days free VIP. its mailed to you but its not instantly sent out to everyone for some reason.
  • Options
    percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    Greetings PC adventurers!

Our teams have been working tirelessly and the maintenance on PC is now complete!

We sincerely apologize for these issues, and we also prepared a makegood for you. All PC players who logged in after March 28 have received (or will receive in the next few hours) an in-game mail containing 4 Enchanted Keys, 300,000 Astral Diamonds, and 1 Week of VIP. April Fowls event will also be extended on PC.

Thank you again for your patience, and we hope to see you soon on Neverwinter!
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service
  • Options
    b3nstoneb3nstone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    After the downtime, I'm trying to update with that oversized patch and keep getting error 14: "The connection to the server was lost".
    Tried 5 times in the past 2 hours and can't even reach 10% download before I get the error again and it restarts from scratch.
    Guess I'll wait 'till later tonight.
  • Options
    percemer said:

Our teams have been working tirelessly and the maintenance on PC is now complete!

We sincerely apologize for these issues, and we also prepared a makegood for you. All PC players who logged in after March 28 have received (or will receive in the next few hours) an in-game mail containing 4 Enchanted Keys, 300,000 Astral Diamonds, and 1 Week of VIP. April Fowls event will also be extended on PC.

I for sure logged in after march 28. Nothing get, is it a bug again????
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

percemer said:

It's barely been an hour...at least wait until a few hours have passed before complaining that you haven't gotten anything. Gotta actually wait that time period in which they say rewards will be rolled out.
  • Options
    I think it's yet another scam logged in after march 28
  • Options
    arazith07 said:

percemer said:

It's barely been an hour...at least wait until a few hours have passed before complaining that you haven't gotten anything. Gotta actually wait that time period in which they say rewards will be rolled out.

ALOT of people already got that. So what?
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

arazith07 said:

percemer said:

ALOT of people already got that. So what?
    Yeah, but no where do they say they are finished with giving out the rewards. In fact, they are ROLLING out (meaning it's an ongoing process). "All PC players who logged in after March 28 have received (or will receive in the next few hours)". They also put an in-game notice that people will get their rewards before others.

Reading comprehension is a thing that people should keep practicing and developing even when they are done with school and college.
  • Options
    oldguy59#8554 oldguy59 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for getting the game back up. Really. This must have been an all-nighter, or some other overtime for someone. I appreciate that the game is working now, rather than after the Easter weekend.

I did get a few items off the Honey-Do list. However, because the Better Half knows it was because Neverwinter was down, I'm not getting any brownie points. :(