test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Im a wizard Thaum and wondering if I should switch to arcanist.

2»

Comments

• rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    They changed the powers around, I used to main a CW for years and used a combination of my favourite encounters on one paragon path which have now been all split up, and you've now got a few on Thaum and the rest on Arcanist which is really annoying. I recently made a new one on this account to play with and went with Thaum purely because it has most of the encounters I liked before but now I'm missing a couple but whatever.
    My set-up is as follows for anyone who is interested: | At-wills: main; Chilling cloud secondary; Ray of Frost | Encounters: Q; Chill Strike E; Fireball R; Conduit of Ice TAB: AOE; Icy Terrain Boss; Ray of Enfeeblement | Dailies: 1; Ice Knife 2; Arcane Singularity | Class features: 1; Swath of Destruction 2; Critical Conflagration | Mount: AOE: Vortex (the carpet not the horse, the horse one is not as good) Boss: any single target debuff like Swarm, Hallasters (or mythallar fragment), Eclipse etc.

Rotation: Hit them first with Fireball to set-off smoulder, then follow-up with Conduit of Ice to add chill and create rimefire damage. Hitting with Chilling cloud at-will will keep adding chill stacks and refresh the smoulder damage. Throw-in Chill Strike as soon as it's ready to add chill and disable them for a moment. Throw down Icy Terrain wherever you see a lump of adds, being that it's on tab and you can, and it's most handy there, also to use as support for tanks who are being mobbed and you can aim it where u like on tab. Critical Conflagration will add smoulder to any target you crit on, and Swath of destruction will increase the damage the smoulder does and the damage those affected take. As long as you keep using those at-wills and encounters which add chill, your rimefire will keep refreshing and doing more and more damage.

As far as using Vortex goes, I use Arcane Sing to pull them together, throw down icy terrain in the middle so they all land on it, then use Vortex straight after that to keep them pulled into the same lump over the icy terrain. Or vice versa, or just use Vortex and Icy Terrain if your daily is not ready. Melee fighters also appreciate both Vortex and Arcane Sing if it means a group of mobs are all in one lump for them to hit. Before I played CW I played a GWF (Barb) for years and it's no fun running around trying to hit adds when they're all spaced-out, much nicer when they're all in one lump because they all get hit at the same time and die faster.

I also hate slow classes, which is why I never liked pally, too clunky and slow for me. Wiz is nice and fast-feeling, some of the encounters are a tad on the slow side in their animations, but the ones listed above are all nice and fast and the cooldowns aren't too bad either.

edit: I forgot to say what feats I chose. I went with: Relative Haste/Icy Veins/Shatter Strike/Frigid Winds/Rimefire Weaving
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.