test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official: Bard fixes coming to Preview

Comments

• d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

x10110100 said:

Update: I'm told the last two fixes I mentioned (less "You must wait longer" red float text, and healing for non-party members) should be landing on Preview today.

This is great, Minstrels feel real good now.

Hey, there is another skill that doesn't seem to be working as described. Rjc9000 mentioned, Starstruck, our final Class Feature, only activates on the initial cast. And in the bit of parsing on my own that I have done means in an entire dungeon run it only activates 15'ish times.

From the wording and just as a useful functioning ability should proc on the ticks/heals of Rejuvenating Carol.

I mostly ask because it is the final Class Skill, so it kind of comes with the expectation that it will be at least usable if not one of the better options. And it sounds like a kind of fun feature since it bounces off the other party members own skills.

It would be great if before we move on from Minstrel, we could get this issue looked at.

Couple notes I have regarding Starstruck:

1) It appears Starstruck cannot crit.
    I have more logs showing no crits as I understand this is a small sample size.

2) The heal is relatively very weak.
    See log above. If the proc chance is increased and Starstruck is capable of a critical strike, the low base heal magnitude may be adequate.

3) It appears Starstruck may only proc once per cast of Rejuvenating Carol (not per tick) or the proc chance is very low:
    Starstruck proc at two different times on two different players from the same Rejuvenating Carol (nothing fancy here):

Starstruck proc as same time on two different players from the same Rejuvenating Carol (still, nothing fancy):

List of Rejuvenating Carol procs. You can see the Starstruck proc at 11:49:44 happened between ticks of a single Rejuvenating Carol. While I don't have video to support this statement 100%, I strongly doubt I cast a new Rejuvenating Carol right before the Starstruck procs. Again, it appears Starstruck may proc on more than just the initial tick of Rejuvenating Carol; however, it appears Starstruck either may only proc once per each Rejuvenating Carol cast and/or has a very low proc chance.
    More on Starstruck from a Crown of Keldegonn run today (Phase 2+):

- Starstruck accounted for ~1% of my total healing (1,185,033 of 112,913,016).
    - In 8 minutes and 36 seconds with 9 other eligible teammate targets, Starstruck proc'd just 42 times (ouch!) out of exactly 500 Rejuvenating Carol heals (a requirement condition for Starstruck).
    - Starstruck appears to not be capable of providing a critical heal.

• x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    @d4rkh0rs3

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that I don't think that decisions should be made based on what benefits the very small percentage of the player base who is farming CoK over what benefits the class in the majority of game play situations. From the person who's doing their first trial all the way up to the top.

All the heals that work like DM works on live have gotten players through CoK and Demo and all the other trials just fine. Even if the targeting of DM stays the same, people still have the option to heal with Arpeggio in your CoK group.

Basically, I'm saying the way DM works on live is (imho) the correct mechanic, it's better for the class to have it work that way, and high-end raiders in highly tuned groups can continue to use Arpeggio if they choose.

I feel decisions should be made in a way that serves as many players as possible.

edited April 2022
    > @x10110100 said:
    > @d4rkh0rs3
    >
    > At the end of the day, all I am saying is that I don't think that decisions should be made based on what benefits the very small percentage of the player base who is farming CoK over what benefits the class in the majority of game play situations. From the person who's doing their first trial all the way up to the top.
    >
    > All the heals that work like DM works on live have gotten players through CoK and Demo and all the other trials just fine. Even if the targeting of DM stays the same, people still have the option to heal with Arpeggio in your CoK group.
    >
    > Basically, I'm saying the way DM works on live is (imho) the correct mechanic, it's better for the class to have it work that way, and high-end raiders in highly tuned groups can continue to use Arpeggio if they choose.
    >
    > I feel decisions should be made in a way that serves as many players as possible.

Totally agree with you. Maybe another consideration that has nothing to do with Defender’s Minuet is to increase the initial magnitude of Arpeggio to function in a role similar to Bastion of Health (Cleric) or Revitalize (Warlock) where it may be used to target a specific player, most often a DPS, for a large heal. For example, bump the initial magnitude up from 500 to 650 but make it decrease by 150 instead of 50 for each second it is channeled to a minimum magnitude of 200. This would give you an extra 200 magnitude in the first two heal ticks but less magnitude in the remaining.

=== EDIT ===

For reference:

- Cleric's Bastion of Health is 1600 magnitude for 100 Divinity.

- Warlock's Revitalize is 850 magnitude with 200 HoT for 100 Soulweave.

- Paladin's Divine touch is 650 magnitude with a Divine Barrier (shield) equal to the amount of hit points healed for 100 Divinity.

Proposed:

- Bard's Arpeggio with Diminuendo Feat is:
    0 seconds: 650 magnitude for 40 Performance
    1 second: 500 magnitude for 40 Performance
    2 seconds: 350 magnitude for 40 Performance
    3 seconds: 200 magnitude for 40 Performance
    4 seconds: 200 magnitude for 40 Performance
    5 seconds: reset

That's 1,900 magnitude for 200 Performance, which is certainly fair when compared to the Minstrel itself and other healers.
  • x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    @d4rkh0rs3

That's cool, I guess we're on the same page about DM's functionality. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your opinion.

At least from my point of view, there seems to be some confusion about how DM works on test and what the proper function should be. I haven't been able to test it, unfortunately. Though, AoE's definitely are ranged now, which is awesome. Heh running by people and using Vamos on them is pretty fun. B)

I just hope it remains such that DM heals anyone in the raid with the option of using Arpeggio. Versus changing DM and forcing use of Arpeggio to heal the other group.

• dracory1#6808 dracory1 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    @rgutscheradev

Please consider making Defender's Minuet give half of the overhealing hit points into a shield.

Many people see the issue that it just heals too much (redundancy) for too high cost (actual amount healed vs cost).
  • luizgustavovluizgustavov Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Can you please let devs focus on fixing bugs and stop asking for buffs? '-'

Thanks!
    > @luizgustavov said:
    > Can you please let devs focus on fixing bugs and stop asking for buffs? '-'
    >
    > Thanks!

The thread is called "bard fixes" not "bard bug fixes".

Fixing also should include things that are redundant or inefficient to create a multitude of varying builds, currently healer bards have very few choices that aren't outright inefficient and DPS path relies heavily on a class feat.

So let people throw in ideas for changes that can improve bard's gameplay and stop backseat moderating.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    I think playing songs with the latest update has gotten a bit better, but there's still a weird delay from going into performance mode, playing a song and then switching back into normal mode. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not great. There's just this delay that makes the class feel clunky. I'm not sure what the difference is with the Hunter for example where I can smoothly switch between melee and ranged stance and am able to fire off encounters swiftly. Not the case with the Bard. It's still a mess even though I'm getting way less "you have to wait..." messages.
    > @fritz#8093 said:
    > I think playing songs with the latest update has gotten a bit better, but there's still a weird delay from going into performance mode, playing a song and then switching back into normal mode. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not great. There's just this delay that makes the class feel clunky. I'm not sure what the difference is with the Hunter for example where I can smoothly switch between melee and ranged stance and am able to fire off encounters swiftly. Not the case with the Bard. It's still a mess even though I'm getting way less "you have to wait..." messages.

Dev has already explained it that as you need at least 100 perfomance to enter the mode, you kind of need server authorization or something like that
    edited April 2022
    > @dracory1#6808 said:
    > > @luizgustavov said:
    > > Can you please let devs focus on fixing bugs and stop asking for buffs? '-'
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    >
    > The thread is called "bard fixes" not "bard bug fixes".
    >
    > Fixing also should include things that are redundant or inefficient to create a multitude of varying builds, currently healer bards have very few choices that aren't outright inefficient and DPS path relies heavily on a class feat.
    >
    > So let people throw in ideas for changes that can improve bard's gameplay and stop backseat moderating.

If something is weak doesn't mean it's a bug, it's better to focus on bug fixes first. You can't buff a class before fixing the bugs first or it might become overpowered. Is that so hard to understand?
    Post edited by luizgustavov on
    edited April 2022
    > @luizgustavov said:
    > If something is weak doesn't mean it's a bug, it's better to focus on bug fixes first. You can't buff a class before fixing the bugs first or it might become overpowered. Is that so hard to understand?

The bugs are already being squashed. Devs have a full list and the thread itself isn't [i]that hard[/i] to read. Although your capability to read my post is limited I see.

On that note though, there's one bug that I have to report although I don't know if it already was:
    All elemental songs are a radius around the character instead of a line (tailwind mambo) and cone (steel march).
  • aragon#8379 aragon Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    The Encounter Power on the Minstrel, "Bassline" doesn't generate any Action Points when casting it!

Feels rather punishing, as it's our only active method of regenerating Performance, and if you use it a lot, you rarely have your Daily active.
    edited April 2022
    If you dodge while casting Phantasmal Concerto, on the Bard Healer, you will remove player targeted red telegraphs on yourself!

My explanation vid: https://youtube.com/shorts/Dhig9ZoNz8w
    Post edited by aragon#8379 on
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    @rgutscheradev

I really hate to be "that guy" but since the first iteration of the Bard fixes will be coming to Console with the next Patch and it makes no mention of it..

What's the status on getting the missing flying Proc text option added to Console? The changes are great, don't get me wrong but they really don't matter when you still have to manually check Procs. mid combat.

We all appreciate the hard work but this is critically important and affects all classes.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User

> @fritz#8093 said:
    > I think playing songs with the latest update has gotten a bit better, but there's still a weird delay from going into performance mode, playing a song and then switching back into normal mode. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not great. There's just this delay that makes the class feel clunky. I'm not sure what the difference is with the Hunter for example where I can smoothly switch between melee and ranged stance and am able to fire off encounters swiftly. Not the case with the Bard. It's still a mess even though I'm getting way less "you have to wait..." messages.

Dev has already explained it that as you need at least 100 perfomance to enter the mode, you kind of need server authorization or something like that

Well sure but I don't care what the reasons are, I'm looking for smooth experience comparable to switching stances with the Hunter. Otherwise the class is unplayable. You could very well let players get into performance mode and run the checks afterwards. I would much rather take a delay when I'm not actually able to do stuff than running into unnecessary gates while trying legit moves. Maybe there are technical limitations, but you could do checkups once you try to play a song with performance and not already entering the mode. This also doesn't explain the chicanery when leaving performance mode. I think at least this should be flawless since there are no checks involved.
  • aster#8001 aster Member Posts: 119 Arc User

Bard healer songs have a target cap of 15. Now that they heal companions and NPCs, some players in group content or in an open world map will not get healed due to the target cap which can lead to players dying.

As you can see in the screenshot, the NPC did not receive the visual effect from Sheltering Etude despite being within the range. This same issue is going to apply to players, which will end up in some players not getting healed. Please remove target cap from all healing powers.

@rgutscheradev Please this is really a BIG issue in raids between mirage, striker users, frozen journal (tanks and healers using a striker too the majority of the time).
    "The more I care for life, the more everything around me dies."
    AsteR (Barbarian) Mizzrym AsteR (Paladin Healer) AsteR Lezenfan (CW) Nahida AsteR (Bard healer)Carbonated AsteR (SW dps)
    M22-M23 -M24-M25-M26 Alphatester
    Official Content Creator
    Wizard Reworker
    edited April 2022
    Post edited by aragon#8379 on
    edited April 2022
    > @aragon#8379 said:
    > From my experience the secondary effect of Flourish:
    > "Activating any other encounter power or song reduces the cast time of this action for the next 4s"
    > is much more of a hindrance than a boon. I would rather wait for the cooldown and be able to just cast once, for the 50% buff!
    >
    > The way it is now, even if it's off cooldown you have to cast the secondary effect after playing a song or encounter power, and it's a bit frustrating while healing.

It could just auto reduce the cooldown by 4 seconds upon any other encounter activating without requiring the user to press the Flourish to trigger the effect.
  • eddiestormeddiestorm Member Posts: 28 Arc User

Bard healer songs have a target cap of 15. Now that they heal companions and NPCs, some players in group content or in an open world map will not get healed due to the target cap which can lead to players dying.

As you can see in the screenshot, the NPC did not receive the visual effect from Sheltering Etude despite being within the range. This same issue is going to apply to players, which will end up in some players not getting healed. Please remove target cap from all healing powers.

Please Please Please fix this!
    There is something really weird about bard songs now. When I am in a trial they are not healing everyone. :(
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2022

There is something really weird about bard songs now. When I am in a trial they are not healing everyone. :(

This is probably related to the target cap of 15 that @coldwater#1608 described above. This means a song can be applied to a maximum of 15 entities. This also includes clones from Mirage weapons, Dwarfs from Frozen artifact, NPCs and summoned companions.

If you are very unlucky with your trial group and let's say 4 people spawn 3 Mirage clones each then you might heal the 12 Mirage clones, maybe 2 allies and 1 companion.

@rgutscheradev The target cap really needs to be removed from all Bard songs and healing encounters. It destroys all the great changes you have implemented until now.

Another downside from the newest patch is that Defender's Minuet (without Serenade) seem to always target a companion now.
    Post edited by hastati96 on
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
    hastati96 said:

This is probably related to the target cap of 15 that @coldwater#1608 described above. This means a song can be applied to a maximum of 15 entities. This also includes clones from Mirage weapons, Dwarfs from Frozen artifact, NPCs and summoned companions.

If you are very unlucky with your trial group and let's say 4 people spawn 3 Mirage clones each then you might heal the 12 Mirage clones, maybe 2 allies and 1 companion.

@rgutscheradev The target cap really needs to be removed from all Bard songs and healing encounters. It destroys all the great changes you have implemented until now.
    oh god, that needs to change ASAP
  • shadow3150shadow3150 Member Posts: 5 Arc User

I think if the songs only affect the players that might solve the problem.

I think if the songs only affect the players that might solve the problem.
    Yes, I don't think any healing ability should affect companion and things like that.
    @rgutscheradev can we get some sort of confirmation that the issue of targeting NPCs is worked on? We kind of have a PTSD of "getting a fix/buff that is a nerf and then being ignored for a few months".
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

This post is intended to consolidate community feedback and provide my personal opinion on the current status of the Minstrel paragon following the recent changes:

Top Priorities:

(1) VFX drop-outs are still happening with specific abilities.
    - This bug is capable of wiping entire runs.
    - The most recent culprit is the at-will Phantasmal Concerto when casting is interrupted either by releasing the at-will or dodging.

(2) Sheltering Etude critical heals
    - Sheltering Etude critical heals receive 1/4 instead of 1/2 of the Bard's Critical Severity percentage.
    - Sheltering Etude critical heals are reduced by the target's Critical Avoidance percentage (subtracted from the Minstrel's Critical Severity percentage).

(3) Blaze Flamenco stuck in combat.
    - If Blaze Flamenco is active, the Bard is unable to grapple in Crown of Keldegonn.
    - If Blaze Flamenco is active, the Bard may be unable to progress through portals, such as those found in dungeons leading from one area to the next.

(4) Arpeggio consuming Performance without healing
    - If you cancel Arpeggio too early, Performance will be consumed and no heal will be provided.

Secondary Priorities:

(1) Gambler
    - Rejuvenating Carol does not stack, negating the practicality of two Minstrels healing content together.
    - Significantly weaker than Storyteller.
    - If Reprised Carols provided a guaranteed larger magnitude heal based on Gambler's Delight stacks, it would provide significant value to the playstyle and allow for two Minstrels to heal content together. An example would be Reprised Carols guaranteeing a Heal over Time of 50 magnitude per stack of Gambler's Delight.
    - The Heal over Time would be guaranteed, but the extra buff could be random (i.e. gamble).
    - Provides an opportunity for players newer to the Bard/Minstrel to better heal group content.

(2) Starstruck
    - As the keystone Class Feature, Starstruck would provide equitable value if the proc chance were increased to at least a multiple of 5 from where the value currently is. My estimate is it currently has a 10% chance to proc.
    - Starstruck cannot provide a critical heal but should be able to.

(3) Critical Tuning
    - Community feedback is asking for a value other than Critical Severity for Minstrel. Common requests are Critical Strike or a defensive stat such as Defense. Personally, I feel Critical Severity is appropriate for the Minstrel, but I do not want to discount the feedback of others.

(4) Arpeggio + Diminuendo
    - The Minstrel lacks a practical single target heal on a specifically chosen target. Defender's Minuet may often heal a party member you do not intend to heal (i.e. healing a DPS teammate rather than your Tank).
    - The current magnitude of Arpeggio + Diminuendo is too low to serve in this role.
    - Suggestion is to increase initial magnitude to 650 and reduce by 150 for each second Arpeggio is channeled.

@rgutscheradev

I was incorrect about Sheltering Etude. Sheltering Etude critical heals are reduced by the target's critical avoidance percentage. Confirmed and reproduced multiple times.

I think dev just quit on us............ sad face
  • shadow3150shadow3150 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Well... See you next year :smile: