test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Preservation ward Bug.

xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
How Preservation wards are intended to work, as per dev blog

"Each upgrade will have up to 3 components, each of which can be protected by a preservation ward. If the upgrade fails, 1 of the components is chosen at random to be destroyed, unless it is protected by a preservation ward which will get destroyed instead."

How Preservation wards are working currently

Each upgrade has 3 components, each of which can be protected by a preservation ward. If the upgrade fails, 1 of the components is chosen at random to be destroyed, unless it is protected by a preservation ward in which all preservation wards used (upto 3) will be destroyed instead.

Comments

• flambonicoflambonico Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I also did a post communicating this issue. @nitocris83 sorry for bothering, but can We get an official response on this? Just to clarify things a little.
  • altmerpoweraltmerpower Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    Well for me if the upgrade fails and is not protected by pres ward not only 1 of the components is destroyed but all 3 of them! So I protected 2 of the components with wards and let game eat up 200k refinement points each time. so lost 3mil in refinement points,30 pres wards and my artifact is still only legendary!!!! this is sick and if this is working as intended then devs need a reality check. I am still 20/30 from guaranteed upgrade so that means I need to do this 10 times more with 20 more pres wards consumed and 2mil more refinement points. Total cost 50 pres wards and 5mil in refinement points only from legendare to mythic upgrade..... cryptic studio have lost their mind!
    I forgot about 10 more invested Pres wards that I got from AH for 180000 ad so total cost is even higher! 60 pres wards and 6000000 refine points for only legendary to mythic upgrade.......
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    It looks like the bug isnt with the preservation wards, but its with the refinement system destroying all 3 reagents if the upgrade fails, instead of destroying 1 reagent at random
  • dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 321 Arc User
    https://imgur.com/2VYnLJE

Here's a picture of this bug with the upgrade of an artifact failing. It says that the upgrade failed 2 times. The UI states that both the RP and the Enchanting stones were protected twice. That means it consumed as much as four attempts rather than 2. It also consumed the wards that were protecting the Glyphs. The wards were definitely consumed, but I am not sure about the other materials.

https://imgur.com/7U5VEW1

Here's a picture of this bug with the upgrade of an artifact succeeding (that is older than the other picture, if something in this window was changed in the patch). It says that the upgrade failed 3 times and succeeded one time. The upgrade cost was 100k RP, 1x glyph and 5x enchanting stones rank 4. It was guaranteed to upgrade after 3 fails. It says it consumed 3x 100k RP, 3x ward (that was protecting the Glyph), and 2x 5 enchanting stones, for a total of 6 things. It also consumed that Glyph, but is not listed it here. It might have consumed even more enchanting stones and RP, I wasn't paying attention to that. And it must have triggered the 100% succeed condition.

I have no clue what is going on here. But here's a couple ideas. It might even be multiple of these.

Possible consume bugs:
    - The wards are consumed on all failed attempts, rather than just when their assigned slot was chosen to be consumed
    - One reagent is *not* consumed on a failed upgrade, rather than one being consumed and two not being consumed
    - A random number of reagents is consumed on a failed upgrade, rather than only one being consumed
    - All reagents are consumed on fails and one is given back on success (unlikely)
    - The 100% succeed condition might be ignored and upgrades tried continuously despite the condition # being displayed as number of attempts

Possible display bugs:
    - There is definitely something wrong where it didn't display the Glyph that was consumed on succeeding
    - Maybe it didn't show the succeeding consumes at all and another 100k RP and 5 enchanting stones were consumed that are not shown (in which case 8 things were consumed for 3 fails)
    - It might also display 'Protected x#' wrong

I think there's TWO bugs, most likely one consume bug and one display bug.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Thread has been escalated.
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    The bug is definitely also with the Pres. Wards.

When only using Wards to protect a single Reagent, if one of the other Reagents is chosen, only it is consumed.

If the Reagent that is being protected is chosen, it consumes the Ward instead.

With 2 Wards, if only the unprotected Reagent is chosen; only it is consumed.

If either of the others Reagents is chosen, it consumes all the Wards instead.

It looks like the system is checking if Wards are slotted before checking if the upgrade succeeded or not and applying a universal: "If Wards are slotted and upgrade fails, consume Wards" but still only targeting 1 Reagent at random as intended.
  • ene#5785 ene Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2022

Clarification messaging has been posted. As stated, we are monitoring player sentiment and look forward to feedback presented in a civil manner.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1264423

But balance what?!? In this way the conservation will skyrocket, I don't find balance in this thing. New players will never finish a new PG, it's getting too expensive and in the dungeons NOTHING HAS FALLED, let's not talk about the new trial that there are companion pieces, practically useless ... not even worth doing more dungeons LOL. I don't understand too much, what are dungeons for if nothing is dropped?
    Post edited by ene#5785 on
    This was my ticket./Tooltip say If the upgrade fails and this is chosen for loss, you lose the ward instead/ in reality when you try to upgrade all 3 ingredients is chosen for loss! If not protected and all (plural) slotted wards gets eaten every time that's the problem! Game eats everything! Does it really supposed to do that? And this is what I got for answer: Hello Thanks for writing back. I understand that all your resources were gone. To clarify your concern, all the 40 preservation wards are destroyed? Usually, there is a checkmark wherein you upgrade it until success.If you don't click onthat one, it will automatically upgrade it first consuming your wards and after that with your reagents. I'll be looking forward to your response.
    Can someone explain this answer to me please, because I really don't understand this answer and also how this answer is going to help me getting my consumed reagents back?
  • bomber#7738 bomber Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Delete, accidental double post.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    > @nitocris83 said:
    > Clarification messaging has been posted. As stated, we are monitoring player sentiment and look forward to feedback presented in a civil manner.
    >
    > https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1264423

I bought this up in the preview thread. There is definitely feedback in that thread.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    all this is on purpose so everyone that "feels" they need to be higher item level then the zone provides free items and loot for and is not patient goes on and buys coal wards / moats/wards and see the "value" in that instead of rng . ..working as intented from a business target the whale perspective : D the Devs need to eat too ..
  • shirghe#4424 shirghe Member Posts: 59 Arc User

Clarification messaging has been posted. As stated, we are monitoring player sentiment and look forward to feedback presented in a civil manner.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1264423

I suggest updating the blog post with detailed stats of each enchantment, including IL at different rarity and fails until guaranteed upgrade. Players can certainly figure it out on their own, but with all the changes it would help many.

Also there are small discrepancies between the description of the combat enchantments in game and in that post.
  • Can't exchange AD for Zen (Broken, 8 month wait), upgrading collars ridiculous, and now upgrading an enchant requires a Coal ward or wiping out you RP/pres ward stash. Upgrading an enchant one rank every 3 months, really!!!! I don't remember each step of upgrading an enchant costing 100k, it was like 8k. This game is not free to play anymore, mod 22 sealed that deal, it's free to observe. When your wallet whales realize there's no serfs that pay for the game in time spent are all gone, why would they stick around with no one to lord over their greatness and wallet over?
  • masteryoda#6623 masteryoda Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    There so many bugs in this new update it's actually ridiculous I'm done with this forum I'm taking my complaints straight to the new owners, can't refine without bugs can't join a queue without the game not registering that I have accepted so get kicked from queue groups90% of the time. Game is barely playable in its current condition on PS4, not to mention the amount of times the game crashes when your just running around doing solo content or if you do manage to get into a dungeon and it succeeds high chance game will crash as you exit the final portal.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    Well it looks like they solved problem with zax and pres wards resell.
  • seekey#7769 seekey Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    So in the current state of the refinement system, if we endure our "punishment" long enough for not having the best of luck during the upgrade, we’ll getting pitied so we can finally increase the rarity of our enhancements on the 151st attempt.
  • theopvtheopv Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    This makes no sense. The pres wards/coal wards used to slot into the same place before the update. Now the pres wards have been replaced with a 1% mote and the 1/150 chance is poorly worded as in reality it is now a 1/450 chance (in terms of real cost) assuming the worst in RNG. If the issue is that RNG will target ONE of your reagents to be destroyed then it seems illogical that the other wards would self destruct in sympathy! The 1% chance is now a 0.33% chance. I know it can be "spun" and the devs could easily say that if you protected nothing then it would actually be a true 1% chance but this seems to equate the cost of 1 coal mote to equal 300 pres wards. Seems particularly sneaky to devalue something paid for with zen to the tune of 10% of the value of coal mote (i.e mote=1000 zen to 10 pres wards 100 zen) to have an actual value of 3% of the mote without the buyer actually knowing that what they are paying for is actually 3 times the price. Either the 1% motes have no place in the game or this should be reconsidered.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    theopv said:

This makes no sense. The pres wards/coal wards used to slot into the same place before the update. Now the pres wards have been replaced with a 1% mote and the 1/150 chance is poorly worded as in reality it is now a 1/450 chance (in terms of real cost) assuming the worst in RNG. If the issue is that RNG will target ONE of your reagents to be destroyed then it seems illogical that the other wards would self destruct in sympathy! The 1% chance is now a 0.33% chance. I know it can be "spun" and the devs could easily say that if you protected nothing then it would actually be a true 1% chance but this seems to equate the cost of 1 coal mote to equal 300 pres wards. Seems particularly sneaky to devalue something paid for with zen to the tune of 10% of the value of coal mote (i.e mote=1000 zen to 10 pres wards 100 zen) to have an actual value of 3% of the mote without the buyer actually knowing that what they are paying for is actually 3 times the price. Either the 1% motes have no place in the game or this should be reconsidered.

That is why they change the name of c-ward to c-mote.
    In the current system, ward is for protection. Mote is for the chance.

c-mote does not give you "protection". It gives you 100% chance. Hence, no need to use ward for protection.

p-ward does not give you any chance. 1/150 has nothing to do with ward. You can make it to 2/150 without using any ward (same as before).

The new system is not limited to enchantment. It applies to Artifact and Artifact equipment too which comes with their own "chance". Enchantment comes with 0% chance. Previous r14 to r15 was 1% chance. New rank 1 is "higher" than previous rank 15. Hence, 0% (without using any mote).

So, for myself, upgrade enchantment, use c-mote (I also used c-ward to upgrade r14 to r15 and weapon/armor enchantment before). Upgrade Artifact/Artifact Equipment uses p-ward.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    So its WAI. yes. yes. BUAHAHHAHAHA (snif) sorry.

So you design a new system where if you dont protect the 3 items, you lose 1 of them. But if you protect all the items you lose the 3 protections. Are you serious? I cant stop laughing!

If this is WAI, you really have a problem with the designer of this feature because is just the less intuitive mechanic I saw in all my (long) history playing videogames.

Really. You made my day.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

Can't exchange AD for Zen (Broken, 8 month wait),

It isn't broken. People aren't selling zen.

I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.