test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Preview Server-Not enough free GB but there is

dani#6705 dani Member Posts: 24 Arc User
I am trying to log into the preview server. When I try it tells me that the game requires 28 GB free space and I do not have enough room. I have 904 GB free space. Please help me figure out why this is not working. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Im no expert but wasnt there an issue with TEMP files and folders which stopped installations a while back?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Im no expert but wasnt there an issue with TEMP files and folders which stopped installations a while back?

I have no idea, maybe someone else does?
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    According to my understanding you @dani#6705 have 905 GB of free space remaining on your HDD? Not that I doubt your words, please read it just to make sure it don't say 905 MB which would be under 1 GB.

Next, if you know where the folder is located on your HDD navigate to Neverwinter and inside you should see 2 folders titled "Live" and "Playtest". Right click on each one to see the properties.
    Properties for Live should return about 30 GB and the properties of Playtest should return about 31 GB.

If you don't have a Playtest folder then you still need to download preview.

If you are still having issues, ping my @ handle.
  • Options

According to my understanding you @dani#6705 have 905 GB of free space remaining on your HDD? Not that I doubt your words, please read it just to make sure it don't say 905 MB which would be under 1 GB.

Next, if you know where the folder is located on your HDD navigate to Neverwinter and inside you should see 2 folders titled "Live" and "Playtest". Right click on each one to see the properties.
    Properties for Live should return about 30 GB and the properties of Playtest should return about 31 GB.

Hi, thanks for the info. It is GB. My hard drive is a terra whatever. I have searched in my pc for NW but all I can find is the stupid icon on my desktop. Where do I find this stuff, and steam for that matter. Thanks for your help :) Much appreciated.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    dani#6705 said:

Hi, thanks for the info. It is GB. My hard drive is a terra whatever. I have searched in my pc for NW but all I can find is the stupid icon on my desktop. Where do I find this stuff, and steam for that matter. Thanks for your help :) Much appreciated.
    Are you sure you do not have several disks or sevral partitions on your spindisk?

Neverwinter could be located in a smaller logical disk.

Your first task will be to find out where NW is located. You can right click the icon on your desktop, the properties should tell you where the binary the icon refers to is.
  • Options

dani#6705 said:

Are you sure you do not have several disks or sevral partitions on your spindisk?

Your first task will be to find out where NW is located. You can right click the icon on your desktop, the properties should tell you where the binary the icon refers to is.
    I figured out that you are right, it is partitioned and there is 20 gb left. Drive D however has 907 free GB. why C is so small I don't know, and why can it not see the 907? I did find the steam folder, but I cannot find anything NW except the desktop icon. I guess the question is, what do I do now? Thanks again for helping. If this were the 80's I could figure it out just fine lol

• Options
    edited December 2021
    dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

I figured out that you are right, it is partitioned and there is 20 gb left. Drive D however has 907 free GB. why C is so small I don't know, and why can it not see the 907? I did find the steam folder, but I cannot find anything NW except the desktop icon. I guess the question is, what do I do now? Thanks again for helping. If this were the 80's I could figure it out just fine lol

Space allocation between partitions is hard defined, there is nothing dynamic there.

Reinstall Neverwinter and put in in your D drive.

You can probably speed up the process by copying files locally from C to D.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

NW directory typically would be in c:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\
    Since NW was 'working' before, I suspect there are something else taken up the disk space of C:.
    You may want to find out if there were any junk dumped into C:
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I agree, before doing anything else, clean your C folder of temp and junk files with a utility and see how much space you end-up with.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Go to steam library, settings, downloads, steam library folders

If you don't have your larger HDD or partition there (assuming D) add it by clicking on the + icon

Then click the original drive, assuming C:, check Neverwinter, and click Move at the bottom:

• Options

dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

Since NW was 'working' before, I suspect there are something else taken up the disk space of C:.

No NW folder at all. Searched all over. I can play the game just fine. I am trying to get into the preview server. That's when I get the error.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

No NW folder at all. Searched all over. I can play the game just fine. I am trying to get into the preview server. That's when I get the error.

Ok, yes, you need extra disk space for preview server (basically, a new copy of NW). The above 'steam' instruction will probably help.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    If you can't find where Neverwinter is, use Windows explorer to search for *.hogg files.

Mine is installed from Arc, and is at
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Live

My Steam directory with Steam installed games is at
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

• Options
    Note: Once again I will remind everyone I am running Linux OS. I am not here attempting to convert Windows players.

I have the games installed on my Dominion partition. We don't use drive letters, just labels. :grin: Here are some screen shots of basically what you would see in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\

Under Neverwinter are both versions of this game Live is currently module 21 and Playtest is module 22.

If you peek at those they should reflect the same files but the Preview is slightly larger.

You should be able to find these by running an explorer file search on Neverwinter.exe in Windows.

Meanwhile I am going to boot up Sparky Linux 7: Game over edition, make a YouTube video of my attempt to play Neverwinter, while running the uninstalled OS off the demo trial on the USB key drive.

I will return.
  • Options

dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

I cleaned the C drive and came up with less than one more gig. I play NW everyday and have no problems. It's only when I try to log into the preview server for the first time that I get the message. I have also searched everywhere and cannot find the NW folder. Not in program files or anywhere on the C drive. When I right click and look at properties, it gives me some odd URL address. I do not see a path to a folder or a target.
  • Options

Note: Once again I will remind everyone I am running Linux OS. I am not here attempting to convert Windows players.

I have the games installed on my Dominion partition. We don't use drive letters, just labels. :grin: Here are some screen shots of basically what you would see in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\

Under Neverwinter are both versions of this game Live is currently module 21 and Playtest is module 22.

If you peek at those they should reflect the same files but the Preview is slightly larger.

You should be able to find these by running an explorer file search on Neverwinter.exe in Windows.

Meanwhile I am going to boot up Sparky Linux 7: Game over edition, make a YouTube video of my attempt to play Neverwinter, while running the uninstalled OS off the demo trial on the USB key drive.

I will return.

This is very helpful. I found the live and playtest files. now what do I do?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

dani#6705 said:

I cleaned the C drive and came up with less than one more gig. I play NW everyday and have no problems. It's only when I try to log into the preview server for the first time that I get the message. I have also searched everywhere and cannot find the NW folder. Not in program files or anywhere on the C drive. When I right click and look at properties, it gives me some odd URL address. I do not see a path to a folder or a target.
    Login to preview server means you need to download an extra ENTIRE copy of a NW. i.e. in a nutshell, double the disk space requirement. One copy for normal NW and one copy for preview server. So, the message is correct. You don't have enough disk space.

I don't use steam. Does the instruction above regarding steam help?
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    What I would probably do if it was me at this point if I can't find the Neverwinter folder at all, is uninstall Neverwinter and reinstall it, when it asks you where to put it (or gives you the option to choose) choose the drive partition with the most space on it and install it there. The original Neverwinter folder should be deleted in the process of the uninstall and once the game is installed on a certain area, it will then install the preview files in the same location when you try it again.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    Reinstalling would be rather extreme. The basic Cryptic launcher under options, will show the path.

@dani#6705 if you can take a screenshot of the following it may help us to know what you are facing.

Use Windows+R hotkey to open Run window. Then type "Diskmgmt.msc" and click "OK" or hit "Enter" key.

You should see a grid panel of Disk 0 on the left and all the partitions following it. Don't make any changes here, just a take a screenshot. If you have Disk 1, this means you have 2 physical HDs on your system, otherwise you should see your CD ROM below the last physical disk.

• Options
    I feel so pc illiterate lol. I found the into that you said to find. How the heck do I add it to this post? I got the print screen, and to make sure, I put it in a word doc. Looks fine. I tried pasting here, no go.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Why not just do what I wrote and problem solved in 5 minutes..... Why to overcomlicate something simple.

Moving the files manually while using steam will just break the ability to lunch the game from steam, then make steam re-download it to the same place all over again, and back to square 1, with not enough space for preview on C (or whatever is the smaller) partition.
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

Why not just do what I wrote and problem solved in 5 minutes..... Why to overcomlicate something simple.

Moving the files manually while using steam will just break the ability to lunch the game from steam, then make steam re-download it to the same place all over again, and back to square 1, with not enough space for preview on C (or whatever is the smaller) partition.

There is no steam library at least not in the libraries folder, That is why I skipped your response. You don't have to get bent about it, there was a reason. I am not going to uninstall my game that works fine. If there is not a solution that can accomodate that I just won't do the preview server. It's that easy. I am in no way a PC techie. I used to be in the 80;s and 90's when my dad was alive. He is not and I am not. Appreciate all help that I am getting.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    What libraries folder?

Do you run the game via Steam or not?

• Options
    edited December 2021
    To simplify things as much as possible, you need to do this:
    1: Figure out what storage space you have on your PC. Obviously your C partition is full. If you have more partitions available, they should be available as your D, E, F etc drives.
    Try Google 'windows 10 disk partitioning', for instance
    https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/partition-windows-10-3679598/
    If you cannot understand/get control of your PC storage setup you need to call in technical assistance.
    Warning: Messing with the storage layout CAN crash your system if done wrong. Take backups before you do it!
    2: Uninstall Neverwinter. Unless you are a very advanced user, everything in Neverwinter is stored on the servers, so you can just delete the installation and lose nothing. (Combat logs, saved keybinds etc will be lost, but that is for more advanced users)
    3: Reinstall Neverwinter in a location on the partitions with enough space. It is probably easiest to do this from Arc since that will give a more straightforward interface for this than Steam. (Personally I would have copied files locally, but I am able to deal with any complications that might arise)
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

What libraries folder?

Do you run the game via Steam or not?

Yes U use steam but that does not mean I know where to find it. There are libraries on everything. Now that I know what you are talking about, I might be able to find it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @dani#6705 everyone has given you sound advice, but you should seek someone who can assist you inside your home. There must be someone you know who can assist you with PC issues? From everything I read here,

Your PC has a strange partition, without hands on experience, I cannot recommend you proceed with attempting Preview. However I feel you need a specialist to view that HD. Some have told you to reinstall the game. The only reason I said it is extreme measure is the fact that you can play Live and I sure don't want to be the one to mess that up for you.

At this point, I have no idea what size those partitions are, but if you decide to uninstall and reinstall, you need to place it on the largest part of your HD. I can't imagine this is a factory build PC, with a tiny C: drive and almost a TB D drive. That sounds flipped. They normally install the backup OS to the smaller secondary partition.

I hope you are not more confused than ever before, but this issue is not a Cryptic issue for once. If this is not repaired, you will encounter more issues in the future. Just from what you have told us, at this point your best option is to get some professional to look at that HD. In the short term, you should consider reinstalling, unless you are happy with the current functionality of this game.

If you can work out how to post screenshots or have more information, I will be happy to assist you.
  • Options

dani#6705 everyone has given you sound advice, but you should seek someone who can assist you inside your home. There must be someone you know who can assist you with PC issues? From everything I read here,

Your PC has a strange partition, without hands on experience, I cannot recommend you proceed with attempting Preview. However I feel you need a specialist to view that HD. Some have told you to reinstall the game. The only reason I said it is extreme measure is the fact that you can play Live and I sure don't want to be the one to mess that up for you.

At this point, I have no idea what size those partitions are, but if you decide to uninstall and reinstall, you need to place it on the largest part of your HD. I can't imagine this is a factory build PC, with a tiny C: drive and almost a TB D drive. That sounds flipped. They normally install the backup OS to the smaller secondary partition.

I hope you are not more confused than ever before, but this issue is not a Cryptic issue for once. If this is not repaired, you will encounter more issues in the future. Just from what you have told us, at this point your best option is to get some professional to look at that HD. In the short term, you should consider reinstalling, unless you are happy with the current functionality of this game.

If you can work out how to post screenshots or have more information, I will be happy to assist you.

Sounds like a standard configuration of 128/256gb (or similar) SSD for main drive, and 1tb (or larger) mechanical drive for storage. With steam installed on the SSD. (C: )

Nowdays every modern PC that has mechanical storage beyond the SSD (especially if it's NVME) will have similar split of around 512gb/1tb for main drive and 4tb+ storage. With the same scale going lower few years back and higher if you pay more.