test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shard of Night Quest - repeatable quest bug and odd quest share behaviour

ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
edited November 2021 in Bug Reports (PC)
Bug:
My character can not get this repeatable quest despite matching all possible conditions (so I believe).

In order to gain this repeatable quest you kill wraiths until they drop "shadow portal key" it drops frequently, it's not an rng issue, I've gotten a few people to test for me and they have had no issues obtaining the key repeatedly.

The character I'm having the issue on had a key from a long time ago but it has been un-useable, when attempting to "accept quest" it does nothing, I've reported this ingame. I discarded the shadow portal key in the hopes that obtaining a new one would resolve the issue, and that's where I am at, I can not get the key drop, I've tried for a significant amount of time and it just doesn't drop. There's no key in my inventory or storage.

I've attempted to share the quest with others and they can not share with me (unsure if it's a shareable quest). I can enter the quest area with someone else's quest but I can not obtain chest reward (no quest).

Odd part behaviour:
Whilst testing above with people, we noticed that if someone with the quest and me in party activates the quest, then I leave party before entering, regardless of where I am, it still pulls me into the quest area (still no reward), but it doesn't pull me in with the quest party lead, i enter a solo instance.

To clarify, river district is 100% complete. I'm thinking the issue is due to the age of my character (2013) and changes over the years which have caused an issue at some point.

Ay suggestions appreciated

Edit: To add, I know the cloaked ascendancy can be repeated and I have tried this by repeating chapter 5 (last part), to see if it would help, it didn't.

Comments

• Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hello! Have you submitted a ticket to support?
  • Options

Hello! Have you submitted a ticket to support?

Yup, as above submitted ticket in-game. I understand that parts of the overall quest line are (weren't repeatable), which may include the shard of night quest line, so unsure if this is the reason why if I missed out on it originally. Sadly feel this will be a case of old code that can't be meaningfully rectified.

From what I've been able to research, my best bet is potentially re-doing it all on an alt character, which would at least give access to account shareable rewards but possibly not all (titles?). Regardless it's somewhat of a mess, would be nice if whatever is now preventing the key from dropping (as it obviously did at some point) could be rectified and then whatever prevents my from accepting the quest also.
  • Options
    You can close this, I think, resolved.

The quest item to initiate the quest had ended up in the depths of my storage, once removed and "Used" the appropriate quest line began. I'm still uncertain how I was able to obtain a "shadow portal key" that one time prior to doing the quest line, it may be that a wraith used in another quest/event dropped it?
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Maybe you were in a party with someone that had already completed the Shard quest when wraiths got slaughtered.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    greywynd said:

Maybe you were in a party with someone that had already completed the Shard quest when wraiths got slaughtered.

I don't think the item would drop for non-quest completion characters even in a party, under WAI circumstances at least.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Should not. Not sure if that's the case, though.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I've had things in my inventory from helping people do quests I had already previously done myself, but in my case I think from memory I always picked them up myself. One example I remember was the old Sharandar entry quest on an old character, I was helping someone get through it and wasn't thinking and picked-up a bust (head and shoulders) piece along the way and it just remained in my inventory forever after. I kept it for luck. I think when you've already done a quest and are running it again to help someone else, when it's finished it only removes the items from the person doing the quest and ignores them if you don't have that quest yourself.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 321 Arc User
    This repeatable quest is part of the Shroud of Souls questline. You can only get a key to drop from the wraiths once you have progressed up to that portion of the quest. If you have the quest 'A drink with Knox', that is the first quest of that questline. At this stage, River District is already marked 100% completed (correctly).